Carmody Family of Fodry Co Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

cheryljones

Carmody Family of Fodry Co Clare

Post by cheryljones » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:15 am

Any information on the family of James and Mary Carmody nee Quinlan of Fordy Co Clare. James parents were Martin and Ellen Carmody nee Fennell. 1901 census has James 50yrs, Mary 46yrs, Thomas 10yrs, Katie 8yrs and Joanna 7yrs. Any information on this family would be great.

Cheryl Jones
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
bob.cheryl2450@hotmail.ca

pj.culligan

Re: Carmody Family of Fodry Co Clare

Post by pj.culligan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:18 am

Murray Michael Ginnane has transcribed the Carrigaholt marriage & baptismal records which includes Fodry and there are some children with the parents Martin Carmody / Ellen Fennell. His e-mail is murray@ginnane.co.nz
If you are on facebook, then my advice is to join the County Clare Genealogy site where there are loads of people who can probably help you in your search https://www.facebook.com/groups/countyc ... p_activity

treatycity

Post by treatycity » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Cheryl,
Examining Murray Ginnane's Carrigaholt baptismal records show 3 children born to Martin Carmody & Ellen Fennell Fodry in the period 1853/1878.
May 1853 = John Carmody
Mar 10 1861 = Mary Carmody
May 17 1864 = Michael Carmody
As James Carmody was born before 1853 he would not appear on these records.
Have you any extra information on what townland or village Ellen Fennell & Mary Quinlan came from.
What is the connection with Australia.
The farm in Fodry is still operating & I am seeking further information.
Patrick

cheryljones

Post by cheryljones » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:35 am

Many thanks for reply to my query re Carmody Family of Fodry. John Carmody son of Martin and Ellen Carmody nee Fennell, was my Great Grandfather, he came to Australia in 1878 per "Windsor Castle", he came with his brother Thomas who was younger than John, have not found any record of Thomas in any information from Ireland.
John married Mary Beach at St. Stephens Cathedral, Brisbane in 1885 (Marys mother was Catherine Behan also from Clare).
John Carmody was in the police force and worker as a turnkey at Toowoomba Gaol then moved to Rockhampton Gaol as Warder, in 1896 he left the police force and went into Hotels first in Rockhampton then to a small country town Laidley, where he purchased the Railway Hotel in 1899 and stayed until his death in 1934. John and Mary had 8 children, many hands to work in the family business.
Have been told that John went back home to visit his mother around 1908, but can not find any information re this.
Also John had a niece come to Brisbane in 1911 per "Perthshire", she worked as a school teacher in outback Queensland and died in 1919 only 31yrs old, on her death certificate it states that her parents were James Carmody and Mary Quinlan, she is buried in the family grave at Laidley Cemetery.
Can you shed any light on Johns niece her name was Mary Elizabeth Carmody (Minnie). Sorry can not help with any information re Ellen Fennell or Mary Quinlan, only have their names on certificates or have seen them on the census records.
Thomas Carmody, Johns brother is also a mystery man to me, have not found any information on his life in Australia he died the same year as his brother 1934.
Once again thanks for your help. Cheryl Jones

pj.culligan

Post by pj.culligan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:13 pm

This is probably John's niece staying with the Quinlan family in the 1901 Census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/r ... 000475162/

cheryljones

Post by cheryljones » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:35 am

Many thanks pj culligan for your help with Mary Carmody, your help is much appreciated. Cheryl Jones

treatycity

Post by treatycity » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Cheryl,
Congratulations.
You are related to the present occupants of the Carmody farm in Fodry whose names are Fennell.
The head of the family is Michael Fennell and Michaels mother was Johanna Carmody who married Sean Fennell.
Sean Fennell was born in Fodry and lived on the farm next to the Carmody farm.
Johanna Carmody's father was Michael Carmody.
Michael Carmody appears on the 1901 Fodry census and he is a younger brother of John & Thomas Carmody who went to Australia in 1878.
Michael Carmody married Johanna Costolloe from Tullaroe, Co Clare.
No information yet on Thomas, Katie, Joanna or Mary Elizabeth (Minnie).
Patrick

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sat May 03, 2014 6:26 pm

Here is the marriage certificate of Michael Carmody and Johanna Costello.

Michael and Johanna do not appear to have been in Clare for the 1911 census, certainly not in Fodry where both were resident at the time of marriage, or in Tullaroe, where they may have lived later.
Attachments
MCarmodyMichaelCostelloJohannaKilrush1907qIv4p181.png
MCarmodyMichaelCostelloJohannaKilrush1907qIv4p181.png (108.48 KiB) Viewed 36866 times

treatycity

Post by treatycity » Sat May 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Michael Carmody, Johanna Carmody & 2 children John Carmody & Ellen Carmody are included with Johanna's parents Thomas & Catherine Costolloe as residents of house 4 in Tullaroe (Querrin, Clare). See form A published with the 1911 census.
Unfortunately the transcription shows all 6 residents with the Costolloe surname.
I have requested that this error be corrected for the Carmody family.
I also suspect the 1911 Costolloe spelling is incorrect and it should read Costelloe same as 1901 census and 1907 marriage certificate.
Patrick

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sun May 04, 2014 1:50 am

Thanks a million for that, Patrick.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Mon May 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Just to add to prev. info - I see on Clare fm obituaries that 'Mikey Fennell, Fodera, Kilbaha, died at St. Joseph's Hospital, Ennis, - buried in Kiltrellig Cemetery after 11 o'c. Mass this morning - Monday - May 12 - 2014.'

treatycity

Post by treatycity » Tue May 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Miriam,
Thank you.
Mikey Fennell is a brother of Sean Fennell who married Johanna Carmody.
Mikey is an uncle of Michael Fennell who currently occupies the Carmody farm.
Mikey was the last of the old generation of Fodry Fennell's and I was privileged to meet him during 2012 in his Fodry home
where we exchanged stories. May he rest in peace.
Patrick

cheryljones

Post by cheryljones » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:12 am

Hello All, Sorry that i have not replied to your posts have been away. On our travels have visited the Queensland State Archives and have been able to
view Mary "Minnie" Carmody's records re her school teacher's wages and notes on her illness in a very large ledger 60cmx35cm, very old and very privileged to be able to see this original record. I was also able to look at John Carmody's (my g/grandfather) original will and codicil of which i
purchased a copy, very interesting reading. Thank you for the copy of marriage certificate for Michael Carmody. Once again sorry for the delay in
thanking you all for your wonderful help and information, it helps bring family to life.
Cheryl Jones

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:13 am

I learned this evening from a man who was raised by his mother's first cousin and her husband Denis Quinlan (1904-1973) that Denis's aunt Johanna Quinlan married James McCarthy. James and Johanna were both teachers and taught in Kilronan on Inis Mór in the Aran Islands. I have not yet found them in 1901, but here they are in 1911:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... an/456173/

Bizarrely, the immigrants from County Clare to the heart of the Gaeltacht appear to have been the only family in Kilronan to complete the census return as Gaeilge.

And there with Seamus and Siobhán is Seamus's "gairghean", presumably intended to read Siobhán's "gairinghean", and translated by the transcribers as "grand daughter", namely Máire Ní Charmoda or Mary Carmody, also an oide scoile (schoolteacher).

The transcribers have presumably never read my thread in this forum concerning the difficulty of translating gariníon (in the modern spelling) unambiguously into English:
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6310

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:24 pm

There is another discussion of this family at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/countyc ... 715670289/