Looking for the origin of Thomas Crowe

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Houben

Looking for the origin of Thomas Crowe

Post by Houben » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:16 am

I am seeking the origin of Thomas Crowe who is my wife’s great grandfather. Thomas arrived in South Australia on the 4 December 1964 by the barque “Tarquin”. He is born about 1839 at Ennis, County Clare.
Thomas had a brother and sister who also migrated to South Australia two years after Thomas in 1866. Their names are John born about 1838 and Bridget born about 1845. Their father’s name is James, but I do not know of their mothers name as this was not required to be shown on their marriage certificates here in South Australia at that time. Nor was it handed down to the present generation.
Thomas married in 1872, to Bridget Ford(e) and they had eight children, their third child, Bridget Kathleen, claimed that she was named after one of Thomas’ sister named Kathleen (Catherine?) who died at a young age.
Not knowing the maiden name of the Thomas Crowe’s mother is a stumbling block and makes it very hard to trace their ancestry.
It could be rightly said that although Thomas stated that he was born at Ennis, the Crowe family could have originated a number of miles around the Ennis district.

Paddy Casey

Re: Looking for the origin of Thomas Crowe

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:34 am

Have you already checked out the Crowe postings on this forum and gone through the Crowes in the Clare Library databases at www.clarelibrary.ie ?

sadhbh

Post by sadhbh » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:31 am

The Ennis Parish Registers are online http://www.ennisparish.com/genealogy/. The Baptism register for 1839 isn't listed, but there's a John, baptised in 1841 to James Crowe and Honor Lysaght.
Sadhbh

Houben

Post by Houben » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Paddy Casey - I have looked through the Clare Library Crowe posting with no luck.
sadhbh - James Crowe and Honor Lysaght also had a Mary baptised in 1845, but no other children are recorded.

The Clare Heritage Centre seems to think that the Crowe family that I am researching may have originated in the Kilmaley Parish. As these records are not available on-line, it makes is slightly difficult to check these records.

Another Item that sticks in the back of my mind is that - Bridget Crowe married Patrick O'Donohue within 8 months upon arriving in in 1867 in South Australia. Although that may not have been altogether unusual, I seem to think that there may have been a link with the two families as they both came from County Clare. Thomas Crowe was on the same ship as Patrick O'Donohue when they emigrated to South Australia in 1864. Thomas went with the O'Donohues (there were several members of that family on the ship) to the northern part of the state. John Crowe traveled with Bridget Crowe in 1867 and joined their brother Thomas. Am I making too much of this coincident and gone of a tangent or could the two families (Crowe and O'Donohue) have lived in close proximate within each other in County Clare? Is it relevant to chasing the origin of the Crowe family?

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:56 pm

Kilmaley parish Baptism transcriptions

http://www.igp-web.com/igparchives/ire/ ... ey-bap.txt

Lucille

Houben

Post by Houben » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:04 am

Thank you, Lucille.

Declan Barron

Post by Declan Barron » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:14 pm

Was your Thomas Crowe a Catholic ?
There is a lot of information available on the Protestant Crowe's of Clare (Dromore, Nutfield, Abbeyville, etc.)
Declan

Houben

Post by Houben » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:35 am

Yes he was definitely a catholic, he married Bridget Forde in 1872 and they had 8 children, Michael Patrick, Mary Ann, Bridgid Kathleen, James Thomas, John Francis, Theresa Agnes, Thomas Alphonsus, and William Leo. All were baptised and when married in the catholic church.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:56 pm

In the 1824 Tithe Applotments, James, Jno and Daniel Crowe all reside in Drumline, in Kilmaley Parish. The only other residents of Drumline are John Donohoe and Michael and John Frawley.

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ey_tab.htm

The area in Kilmaley parish identified as Drumline did not exist by the 1855 Griffith's. There is a Drumline Parish in Clare, but it is near Bunratty in the south east of the county. I believe Drumline in Kilmaley is near the area of Drimanure and Feighroe, near the Kilmaley and Inagh Parish Boundaries. The name Crowe is common there. The bridge in that area is actually called Crowe's Bridge!

John

Houben

Post by Houben » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:56 am

Thank you.

DoireM

Post by DoireM » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:42 pm

I found this entry in my Kilmaley Baptismal records.

Thomas Crowe son of Patrick Crowe and Bridget Considine of Sleaveen. Baptised: 21st December, 1837. Sponsors: John Gleeson and Peggy Daly.

This is the only Thomas Crowe in Kilmaley around the era you stated.

DoireM

Houben

Post by Houben » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:29 am

Thank you.
I have no idea where the Clare Heritage Centre has obtained their information of the baptisms in the Kilmaley Parish.

DoireM

Post by DoireM » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Your are welcome. I too had the Clare Heritage Centre do research for me. Very, very disappointed indeed, lots of wrong info!!