James KENNEDY from Cabey's Lane Ennis 1835-1910

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

parroni

James KENNEDY from Cabey's Lane Ennis 1835-1910

Post by parroni » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:57 am

Does any one out there know what became of <Poulacknew in Kilmaley parish from the tithe applotment books. I am looking at the Kennedy family from Cabey's Lane, Mill Street, and The causeway, Ennis, and am trying to find the father of James Kennedy (1835 ish - 1910ish), carpenter, married to Mary Callinan. They supposedly eloped and married in Kilnamona, so far I know only that he came from the Connolly area.
The Callinans were from Kylie, and James came from...(Beyond bogdale bridge). Does this mean anything to anyone?

Paddy Casey

Re: James KENNEDY from Cabey's Lane Ennis 1835-1910

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:07 pm

parroni wrote:......and James came from...(Beyond bogdale bridge). Does this mean anything to anyone?
I can't answer your question directly but until someone on this forum who is more knowledgeable does, and in order to locate Bogdale Bridge, you might like to contact the Kilmaley Meitheal at info@kilmaleymeitheal.ie They conduct public works in the parish (see http://kilmaleymeitheal.ie/index.html ) and "....(their) FÁS employees have restored the bridges on the road between Lisroe and Kilmaley, and have built a stone wall opposite the Bogdale House" (see http://kilmaleymeitheal.ie/lisroe.html ). In fact, if you are able to get their chairperson on the phone you may be able to tap into a chain of contacts that stitches up your family tree in short order. You never know. In my experience there is nothing to beat the phone to get things rolling.

Paddy

parroni

Post by parroni » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks Paddy, will try that! The Kennedys on site don't seem to know, it must be an old locale name.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:20 am

Poulaknew is an area of present day Feighroe in Connolly. It is on the border of Inagh Parish. My Kennedy ancestors occupied two of the five farms there in the 1800's. I was always told there was a connection between our Kennedy's and the Kennedy Funeral Home in Ennis.

I have additional information on the Kennedy's if you would like to e-mail me.

John Mayer
Dundeemayer@comcast.net

parroni

Post by parroni » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:33 am

Hello John,
I have tried to mail you a couple of times, but they came back, wrong address.
James Kennedy was my ggrandfather on my mothers side. The ones that you mention in Parnell Street, Mill Street of old ,are from his eldest son John, While I am from his fouth son Michael, who was in the Causway. I have an incomplete tree from James to date, but am stuck ,not knowing his farthers name, only that he was form Connolly.
I would love to see what you know.
Regards. Patricia

Pokayah

Post by Pokayah » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:26 pm

Are these Kennedys related to the kennedys in Frances street Ennis? Close relations of mine if they are. The names james and John are also common names in my family

parroni

Post by parroni » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:03 pm

Yes! Michael (Mike)Kennedy, married to Mary Anne O'laughlin lived in Frances Street was my maternal grandfather.
Their eldest daughter Maureen was my mother. Who are you?
I am trying to discover the parentage of James Kennedy, Michael's father. There seems to be a brick wall. None of my known cousins know anything about him before he eloped with Mary Callinan.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:09 am

Patricia,

Please try me at dundeemayer@comcast.net. I would love to compare Kennedy's with you!

John