Cornelius O’Mealey/Conchubhar O Maille

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

mgallery

Re: Cornelius O’Mealey/Conchubhar O Maille

Post by mgallery » Fri May 24, 2013 12:33 pm

I have a vague interest as my gt gt grandmother was Mary Ann Mungovan from Rathkerry Inch. These Mungovans say that they are related to the Magowna Mungovans and also to the Mungovans who had the bar in Ennis (Cornelius Mungovan of the Sinn Fein Club).

I cant see an O'Malley marriage in what we have does not mean there was not one

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun May 26, 2013 8:14 am

When I was young, and making a family tree, I asked who my great grandmother's people were, on her mother's side, and was told that they were Mungovins, from Kilmaley. I never looked for any proof at all. If the age given for my great grandmother at her death is correct, the Mungovin-O'Malley(Mealy) marriage took place in 1827, or before.

Sheila

lisa_mariemullins

Post by lisa_mariemullins » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:21 am

My GG grandmother was Bridget O’Malley, daughter of Cornelius O’Malley Kilmaley. She also went by Mealy, Meally etc…

She married Martin Looney from Cluna (Clouna) on the 17th of July 1870 in the Chapel of Kilmaley. They lived in Monreal/Moanreel/Monreel, Ennistymon.

Bridget died in 1909 and Martin in 1919, they are buried in Killeinagh cemetery, Ennistymon.

I came across an article in the Commerical Gazette in London on the 12th of October 1892 ‘ Ireland Extracts from the Registry of Bills of Sale’ re Martin Looney from Monreel (farmer of live, farm stock, and growing crops) to Daniel Malley Cappaleigh, Clare, farmer for the amount of £75. £75 was a lot of money in 1892!

Unfortunately I do not know who Bridget’s mother was.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:53 am

Hello Lisa

My great grandmother was a sister of your g. g. grandmother, and I can give you some information on their mother, Ann Mungovan. If you wish to contact me by email, the administrator of this forum can it give you.

Sheila

Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:12 pm

Or you could send Lisa your contact info by clicking on the PM button at the bottom of her message.

Kurt

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks, Kurt, for your help. I've now used that button to send my message.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:14 pm

When a fresh batch of images for civil records became available online last year, I found another child of Cornelius Mealy and Anne Mungovan: Patrick Mealy (abt. 1848 – 1880). Patrick Mealy, aged 26, of Gortigana, son of Cornelius Mealy, married Sarah Mealy, aged 18, of Island Gar, daughter of Edmund Mealy, in Kilnamona chapel, on Feb 16, 1874; witnesses Daniel Falvey and Bridget Neylon. For some reason the marriage was registered in Ennistymon, instead of in Ennis (the registration district for Kilnamona).
I don’t know where Patrick was born. The first five of Anne and Cornelius’ children were baptised in Kilraghtis between 1825 and 1833, and the last of their children was baptised in Kilmaley in 1851 (not in 1859 as he imaged himself, and which is what led me to believe there were two families). I have found no records to show where the rest of the children were born, but that is not what I am looking to find out.
What I would like to know is the fate of the children of Patrick and Sarah. They had three daughters: Mary on Mar. 25, 1875; Catherine on Nov.15, 1876, and Bridget Mealy on Jun. 18, 1878; address: Gurthaganine; Patrick’s occupation: Farmer. The Kilmaley parish records show the baptisms of two of these girls: Mary Anne in Feb. 1875 (sponsors: Tom O’Maley and Margaret O’Malley); Kate on 1st October, 1876 (sponsors: Michael Mealy and Mary Mealy – most likely siblings of Sarah). I have found no further records for Mary, Catherine, or Bridget, apart from a record in the Calendar of Wills, which shows that, in 1897, Mary Anne Mealy was granted administration of the estate of Patrick Mealy, her father, who had died Apr. 02, 1880. In 1897, Mary Anne would have reached age 21 and become eligible for administration of the estate (Effects - £370).

Patrick's widow, Sarah Mealy, married again on March 17, 1885, to Thomas McGann (mistranscibed as Megan), who lived nearby in Cappaleigh. The 1901 census shows Thomas McGann, aged 45, and Sarah, and their children living in Gurtaganniv. I have looked in that census for the three girls, and have looked at births, deaths and marriages 'til blue in the face, but have found no trace of any of them. It’s quite possible that Kate and Bridget died young and that their deaths were not registered, but we know that Mary Anne survived childhood and was still alive in 1897. She may have gone to America after 1897, but so far I have failed to find a record of her passage. It’s possible that she emigrated to England, or Australia, I suppose. I would be interested to know what happened to her - but only in a mild way – I'm well aware that a great many young people died in the wave of T.B. at that time and, as we know, deaths were not always registered. If there is a record of her, it may be under Mealy, Malley, or O’Malley.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi Sheila,

The three Mealy sisters were easy to find. Appears that not long after obtaining their inheritance of 370 pounds in 1897 that they booked passage to America. On the ship Catalonia departing from Queenstown and arriving in Boston on 3 Sep 1898 were:

1) "Mary A Mealy", age 21, from Ennis, going to cousin Mrs. Horgan, of 52 Church Street, Lowell, MA. Also, scribbled in the columns is "457 Gorham Street".

on a separate page:
2) "Bridget Melley", age 19, from Ennis, going to sister Mrs. Lizzie Horgan, (52 Church Street is crossed out) of 457 Gorham Street, Lowell, MA (written above crossed out information). For surname, an "O" was inserted after the fact to be "O'Melley"
3) "Catherine Melley", age 20, from Ennis, same as sister Bridget.

Here is the record on FamilySearch for Mary A, go back one page to find her two sisters:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... Q-GY7B-8YD

Now you have a new mystery to figure out how "Mrs Horgan" is related to the sisters. Massachusetts has excellent records, you should be able to find out what happened to them using Family Search. Good luck!

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:20 pm

Hi Jim

Thank you very much indeed for that help. I would never have got going without it. I’m satisfied now that those three girls have been found. Once again I have been killing off people just because I couldn’t find them. Yes, I looked for Lizzie Horgan and figured she is the spouse of John Horgan in the 1910, 1920 and 1930 censuses. I found the marriage of John Horgan to Elizabeth Warren, daughter of Thomas Warren, in Lowell, on 26th Jan. 1896, and I found the birth of Mary Horgan to John Horgan and Elizabeth Warren on 16th Oct. 1896.

I haven’t started looking for records for the three girls yet. The prospect of trying all the variations on the name Mealy is too daunting at the moment.

Eliza Warren was a neighbour of the Mealys. She was born in 1870 to Thomas Warren and Mary Neylon, Cappalea (by the way, Warren is spelled “Warran” in the 1901 census). Thomas Warren had married Mary Neylon in Kilnamona on 22nd Jul. 1857; witnesses: Augustine Kerin, Edmond Maley. Edmond Maley (Sarah Mealy’s father and grandfather of the three girls) had already married Kitty Neylon on 20th Dec. 1852; witnesses: Michael Neylon, Hugh Talty. Very likely Kitty Neylon was a sister of Mary Neylon – hence the description of Lizzie as a cousin in the immigration record – but she certainly was not a sister.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:40 am

Well, I spent more time than I intended looking for further records for those three sisters, but found nothing that identified them positively. The US 1900 census shows a Catherine Mealy, b. 1877, servant in the household of Michael Cabett, Highland St., Lowell, and a Delia Mealley, b. 1880, servant in the household of Edward Moloy, Fort Hill Ave., Lowell. It’s possible that these are two of the sisters. I think it is very likely that all three went into live-in service, and then married, but I haven’t found any marriage records for them. I’ve decided to be happy to leave them at where they all heading off from Queenstown aboard the Catalonia.

Their Merritt cousins also went to America. John, b. 1863, went to New York where he worked as a clerk at the Customs House. The three girls who survived childhood, Mary b. 1866, Kate b. 1867 and Margaret b. 1873, all went to Bridgeport, Connecticut. They lived together, unmarried, and worked at stitching corsets all their lives. John died while on a visit to them. The Bridgeport Telegram of 11th April 1923 reported the death: “John Merritt of 87 Wilson street, Brooklyn N. Y., an official at the United States Customs House, New York, died yesterday at the Bridgeport hospital. He was stricken ill while visiting his sister, Miss Mary Merritt of 552 Atlantic street. Two other sisters, Miss Catherine Merritt and Miss Margaret Merritt, survive. The funeral will be held at 9 o’clock Thursday morning from his sister’s home 552 Atlantic street. A solemn mass of requiem will be celebrated in Sacred Heart Church. Burial in St. Michael’s cemetery”.
Both Kate and Margaret made a trip home to Kilmaley in 1905: the record of their return passage from Queenstown to the US, aboard the Baltic, on 12th Oct. 1905, gives the occupation of both as Corset Operator. They were returning from Ennis, Co. Clare, to their sister, Mary Merritt, 552 Atlantic Street, Bridgeport.
In February 1910, Mary Merrit, made a trip home to Kilmaley: the record of her return passage aboard the Adriatic on 24th Feb. shows that she was returning from Cappalea, Kilmaley, Ennis, Co. Clare. Margaret also made a trip home to Kilmaley later that year: The record of her return passage aboard the Adriatic on 21st July shows that she was returning from Cunis (this must be a mistranscription of Ennis).
In 1925, Mary made another trip to Ireland: the record of her return passage aboard the Franconia, on 16th August, shows that she was returning from a visit to Mrs. M. Mullins, Monreel, Ennistymon, Co. Clare. Mrs M. Mullins was her cousin, Mary Anne Looney.
The 1930 census shows Mary, now aged 62, Catherine, aged 61, and Margaret, aged 55, still living in Atlantic Street, Bridgeport, Fairfield, Connecticut - two of them still working in the corset shop.

Thomas Merritt, who remained at home on the farm, died aged 37 in 1917, and that was the end of those Merritts in Kilmaley. Gone but not forgotten.

I should say here that those ship manifests were found for me by a friend some years ago. When I had a go at finding them on familysearch.org yesterday, I found only one.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi Sheila,

Good job discovering the link between the Mealey sisters and Mrs. Eliza Horgan so quickly. The Massachusetts marriage record data set that you queried only goes up to 1915. So if any of the Mealey sisters were a bit choosy in finding a husband, she would not have turned up. To determine where an elusive ancestor ended up, I'm often successful having a look in the local Catholic cemetery. Especially recommended for a name like "Mealey" that has so many alternative spellings. A census taker or a ship's captain might mess up your name and there really is no consequence. But when you are paying a headstone carver to engrave your name in stone, the spelling is typically more accurate.

Two of the Mealey sisters are buried in St. Patrick's cemetery in Lowell. Catherine Mealey passed away first in 1959 and then Delia Mealey McNamara in 1960. They share the same headstone along with Delia's husband Patrick McNamara who died in 1950.

Rosemary on findagrave.com took several nice photos of the headstone and she is pleased for you to use the photos as you wish and for me to post them here. Her interest is the Irish who settled in Lowell, and also the Irish from the Aran Islands who settled in Massachusetts.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/815 ... a-mcnamara
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/815 ... ine-mealey
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/815 ... k-mcnamara

Of course this now begs the question if Patrick F. McNamara is in anyway associated with the missing Thomas McNamara of Glandree. http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6965
Attachments
McNamara headstone at St Patricks Cemetery Lowell MA.jpg
McNamara headstone at St Patricks Cemetery Lowell MA.jpg (326.51 KiB) Viewed 19416 times
Mealey McNamara headstone at St Patricks cemetery in Lowell MA.jpg
Mealey McNamara headstone at St Patricks cemetery in Lowell MA.jpg (299.85 KiB) Viewed 19416 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:51 am

Hi Jim

Thank you very much once again. That headstone is definitely for my Delia (Bridget) and Catherine Mealy. I’ve often had recourse to findagrave, but would never have thought of it as a first port of call. I can see now that if anyone is equal to finding Thomas McNamara of Glandree it’s yourself. (http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6965)

I should also thank Rosemary who put that headstone on the findagrave site. The ages for Delia and Catherine accord with the birth dates for my Delia (Bridget) and Catherine. I see that Patrick was a good bit younger than Delia.

The US 1940 census shows the Patrick F. McNamara living in Lane, Lowell, Mass.; Patrick’s birthdate is 1888; Delia’s is 1887. My Delia was born 1878, but maybe she was pretending she was about the same age as Patrick. Or if it was Patrick who gave the information to the enumerator maybe he was being diplomatic about her age.
The US 1930 shows the same couple living in the same place; Patrick aged 44, and Delia aged 43. In that census their ages at marriage are given as 36 and 35. So they were married 8 years previously in 1922 - if Delia is my Delia she would have been aged 44 in 1922 (I found no record of the marriage). The 1940 census shows the immigration year for Delia is 1915, which is way off the immigration year for my Delia (1898). Nevertheless, with all that, I think this could be my Delia. She and Patrick have no children.

But somebody had their names inscribed on the headstone. Who could that somebody be? If Mary Anne was still alive in 1960, she would have been aged 84. Maybe it was someone from Patrick McNamara’s family.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:38 am

Hi Sheila,

Regarding who had the names inscribed on the McNamara headstone, it was most likely Delia and done soon after the death of her husband in 1950. Delia would have purchased a cemetery plot in 1950 (or earlier) that would allow 3 burials - so already by that time the decision for her sister Catherine to be buried in the same plot was likely made. It is very common in America for a surviving spouse to complete the headstone inscription including their own name and only be missing the date of their own death. Delia purchased a very handsome headstone, and she would certainly want to visit the gravesite during her lifetime and also know that the inscription was exactly to her wishes (Delia versus Bridget; use of maiden name; include her sister; and most importantly not include their birth years!). Delia and Patrick McNamara had no children, but even if they had many children I believe for most Americans this would be the same exact scenario.

The 1940 census of 52 Lane Street is definitely your Delia and Patrick McNamara. To obtain his true age, you'll need to track down his Clare baptism record which is right up your alley. Patrick McNamara would have had to register for the military draft during both WWI and WWII which helps trace his roots back to a specific location in County Clare.

Below is Patrick McNamara's WWII Registration from 1942 showing that he and his wife Delia are living at 52 Lane Street, Lowell. He worked at the Alexander Wool Combing Company and date of birth in County Clare was reported as 12 January 1888. The important part of the registration is that Patrick says he was born on January 12th. Because while people may give varying accounts of their age, there is no reason to lie about your birthday. Around 25 years earlier for the WWI draft there are several Patrick McNamara's who registered in Lowell, but only one born on January 12th. The below WWI Registration Card shows that Patrick McNamara was living at 100 South Highland Street in Lowell and was born on 12 January 1880. Possibly he may have wanted to appear older for WWI to avoid being enlisted and sent overseas? In 1918 Patrick was working for the Bay State Street Railroad. And also reports his nearest relative as Thomas McNamara of what looks to me like "Deramore" in Clare Ireland. Thomas is most likely his father but could be a brother.

Not sure where Deramore would be located in Clare, but I suspect you might be able to track down a baptism record from this limited information. And we can learn if Patrick McNamara was truly a good bit younger than your Delia Mealey or not.

Sources: WWII (draft reg 4 of 6 only: men ages 45 to 64), and WWI registration cards are freely available on FamilySearch; below are links for Patrick McNamara of Lowell. Original documents with U.S. National Archives; unrestricted use. For WWII, advance one page for physical description.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1861144
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1968530
Attachments
Patrick McNamara of 52 Lane St Lowell MA WW2 Rego.jpg
Patrick McNamara of 52 Lane St Lowell MA WW2 Rego.jpg (173.13 KiB) Viewed 19276 times
Patrick McNamara of Highland St Lowell MA WWI Rego.jpg
Patrick McNamara of Highland St Lowell MA WWI Rego.jpg (174.31 KiB) Viewed 19276 times

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi Jim

Thanks for explaining the headstone situation. Putting a name on a headstone before death is not customary here in Ireland - too much of a Memento Mori altogether. And thanks very much for finding those records for Patrick, and for noting that 12 Jan. is common to both. It was most helpful of Patrick to give his birthplace as Derrimore, Co. Clare.
I see from looking at the townland index that there are four Derrymores in Clare, but I think Patrick belongs to Derrymore East in Tulla parish, because the 1901 census shows a Thomas McNamara and his wife Ellen and three of their children, including a Patrick aged 16, living there. I can’t find the birth of Patrick, but I found the birth of his brother Michael in 1884, registered in Kilkishen registration district of Tulla Union. This gives the parents as Thomas McNamara and Ellen Hogan. The records of the marriage Thomas and Ellen in Feb. 1878 and the birth of their daughter Mary in 1879 both give Derrymore East as “Derrymore Carmody”.
The 1901 census shows a sister of Patrick, called Eleanor, aged 15, who must have been born about 1885, so Patrick’s birth falls between 1880 and 1884. He is still living in Derrymore in 1911, aged 26.
I checked the death of Thomas McNamara lest his son Patrick was informant - that would have sent me back to square one - and found his death registered Scarriff Union in 1930; informant: his daughter Lena McNamara.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:14 am

Well, I looked more carefully for Patrick’s birth and found him this time: he was indeed born on 12th January – 12th January 1885.The address given at registration is Lakyle, which is a townland in Clonlea parish. Clonlea parish adjoins Tulla parish. Patrick’s father, Thomas, was a labourer, so may have been working in Lackyle for a while – it’s quite close to Derrymore East.
Thomas is listed in the 1921 Rate book as having a Rural District Council house in Derrymore East. These houses had slated roofs so it’s probably still standing.
According to the record of his marriage in 1878 (see under Galway), Thomas’ father was Michael McNamara (deceased), a farmer from Clonloum [Cloonloum, Clonlea parish]. Ellen Hogan’s father Thomas Hogan (deceased), a farmer from Derrymore Carmody; witnesses: James O’Brien, Bridget O’Shea. Ellen’s occupation is House Servant - maybe Thomas found work with her employer.

Sheila