O'Regan sixmilebridge and or Labasheeda

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

noreen225

O'Regan sixmilebridge and or Labasheeda

Post by noreen225 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi, looking for information on james O'Regan he lived in labasheeda, but possibly came from sixmilebridge. He was in the RIC at the the time of his marriage to Nora Ryan in 1909. He had 2 children Dermott who came to america in 1929 and catherine who died in her early teens. I think his fathers 1st name was jeramiah.Regan ? I've tried military records to no avail. I was in labasheeda in september and could no find a grave in the labasheeda cemetary. anything at all would be appreciated He was my grandfather. noreen dwyer

madhatter

Re: O'Regan sixmilebridge and or Labasheeda

Post by madhatter » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 am

Hi Noreen,

You could try the email below which is attached to the Garda Siochana Museum and Archives where they have info on RIC members. Good luck.

"RIC and DMP related genealogical queries should be directed to Garda Jim Herlihy, Blarney Garda Station, Co. Cork, Ireland, (E-mail: j_herlihy@esatclear.ie)."

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:21 am

There are some remarkable coincidences here.

In the 1911 census, there was a Nora O'Regan aged 29 in Sixmilebridge and a Nora O'Regan aged 28 in Labasheeda.

The Nora O'Regan in Sixmilebridge had been married for two years with one child born, one child still living (Mary Rose, aged 1). She was one of five people in her mother-in-law's all-female household. Her husband was not with her on census night. See http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... of/367382/

The Nora O'Regan in Labasheeda had been married for one year with one child born, one child still living (Dermod F, aged 0). She was one of five people in her parents' household. Her husband was not with her on census night. See http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... wn/362537/

There was no James O'Regan in all of Clare.

There was a Clare-born James O'Regan, merchant and farmer, enumerated in Dublin, staying with his recently-married sister Delia and her husband Patrick Quinn. See
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... ide/13481/

R.I.C. men were generally enumerated by their initials only, so it should not be a big surprise that I cannot find James O'Regan of the R.I.C. in a first quick look in the census.

Here's a marriage of James O'Regan and Honora Ryan in 1909:

Name: James O'Regan
Registration district: Limerick
Record type: MARRIAGES
Registration date - quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1909
Estimated birth year:
Film number: 101261
Volume: 5
Page: 211
Digital GS number: 4199363
Image number: 00515
Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958

Name: Honora Ryan
Registration date - quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1909
Estimated birth year:
Film number: 101261
Page: 211
Digital GS number: 4199363
Image number: 00517

Between 1906 and 1912 inclusive, the only other James O'Regan marriages were in Cork PLU in 1908 Q2 and in Killarney PLU in 1910 Q4.

Here's the Quinn-Regan marriage (note Delia did not use the O' in her surname):

Name: Patrick Quinn
Registration district: Dublin North
Registration date - quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1910
Estimated birth year:
Film number: 101262
Volume: 2
Page: 463
Digital GS number: 4199364
Image number: 00035

Name: Delia Regan
Registration district: Dublin North
Registration date - quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1910
Estimated birth year:
Film number: 101262
Volume: 2
Page: 463
Digital GS number: 4199364
Image number: 00036

There is lots more about the family of James O'Regan and Nora Ryan of Sixmilebridge at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/clarem ... tion/1.htm
That Nora O'Regan née Ryan was the daughter of Andrew Ryan and Jane Kelly of Kilrush. Her widowed sister-in-law, another Nora Ryan (née Kennedy) married secondly on April 20, 1949 to my second cousin once removed, Timmy Sheehan of Kilrush. I have lots more information on the Ryans of Kilrush

Unfortunately, I have no information at all on the other Nora O'Regan née Ryan(?) mother of Dermott/Dermod O'Regan.

The R.I.C. records are available at ancestry.com. There is only one James O'Regan included, namely James Thomas O'Regan who enlisted in the Irish Constabulary, as it then was, in 1858, aged 19. He would have been over seventy years of age by the time of the 1911 census.

M. McNamara

Post by M. McNamara » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:48 am

There was a James O'Regan here in Sixmilebridge in the first & second decades of the 1900s and co-incidentally (as PaddyW has pointed out), he was married to a Nora Ryan. However, I doubt that he was in the RIC and for 3 reasons. 1) He was a successful business man and politican during this period, becoming eventually Chairman of Clare Co. Council. 2) his physique was just plain unsuitable for the RIC. I have a photo of James and his supporters taken during one of his election campaigns and I have to say that he doesn't fit the profile of the stereotypical RIC man. They were typically big strong country lads, 6 feet tall. James is small and thin. 3) the RIC authorities did not post their officers in the same county as their birthplace. So, they would not have posted a Sixmilebridge man to Labasheeda.

I went online and looked in the 1911 census for all the surnames given as O'R, OR and R, as police officers gave their initials only in the census forms. I found just one entered as RIC or policeman. He was P OR, aged 45, single, from Galway, posted in Roscommon. That's not your GF. Assuming your GF's name is James, then either he wasn't in the RIC in 1911 or was out of the country or dead.
Let's assume the former. Suppose, he left the RIC and took up a different job someplace in Ireland.
In the census, I looked at all the James O'Regans, aged 28 and over, married, but not head of a family. I drew a blank. The only James O'Regan that fits is the Sixmilebridge man, but he already had a family in Sixmilebridge.

So, I'm sorry, I couldn't help any further.

Incidentally, are you sure your GM's maiden name was Ryan? Could it have been Keane? See http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... wn/362537/

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:21 pm

By coincidence, I just came across a James Regan as census Enumerator in 1911. The Enumerators were usually members of the RIC. This James Regan signed the census return for a Clare family who had moved to Cork: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... nd/402697/

It should also be noted that an RIC member was not allowed to serve in his own native county or his wife's native county. So if Nora Keane N.T. of Labasheeda married an RIC man stationed in Clare, he would have been transferred to another county after their marriage.

The RIC registers at ancesty.com include no less than 16 James Regans.

The 1911 census coincided with the Gaelic revival which resulted in many Irish people resuming the use of the O' prefix to their surnames, e.g. changing Regan to O'Regan.

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:45 am

This discussion has resumed at
http://www.facebook.com/groups/countycl ... 778204352/

A couple of months after the previous message in this thread, there was another equally confused discussion started by different grandchild of James (O')Regan of the RIC at
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1268540870

Since 2010, ancestry.com have made it possible to match up brides and grooms in the marriage indexes, so it is now clear that there were two parallel families:

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958 about James Regan
Name: James Regan
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1909
Registration district: Killadysert
Volume: 4
Page: 139 (click to see others on page)
FHL Film Number: 101261

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958 about Nora Ryan
Name: Nora Ryan
Page: 139 (click to see others on page)

and

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958 about James O'Regan
Page: 211 (click to see others on page)

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958 about Honora Ryan
Name: Honora Ryan
Page: 211 (click to see others on page)

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:36 am

The coincidences (or confusions) continue ...

Over at http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.nor ... 23/mb.ashx Dennis O'Regan tells us:
Nora Ryan O'Regan was a long time teacher at the National School in Labasheeda. She died in 1955 at the age of 72.
She is mentioned at
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cominf ... eedans.htm

Nora O'Regan née Ryan of Sixmilebridge also died in 1955, but aged 74 (chr. 13 Dec 1880, d. 28 Mar 1955). I attach a picture of her tombstone.

Her age appears to be understated in the death indexes:

Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958 about Nora O'Regan
Name: Nora O'Regan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1955
Death Age: 72
Death Country: Ireland
Page: 233
FHL Film Number: 257855

[Sixmilebridge lies on the O'Garney river, which is the boundary between the Ennis and Limerick Superintendent Registrar's Districts; there's a hand-drawn map at
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~pwaldron/Clare ... iochru.jpg
which shows that the O'Regan house was on the Limerick side of the river.]

When Dermott O'Regan was initially due to arrive in New York on 7 Oct 1929 and when he eventually arrived on 19 Nov 1929, he gave his father's name and complete address as James O'Regan, Labasheeda, Ennis, Clare. So wherever James was in 1911, he clearly spent his retirement in Labasheeda.

This must be his death:

Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958 about James O'Regan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1951
Death Age: 74
Death Country: Ireland
Page: 215
FHL Film Number: 257854

The only other Nora O'Regan or variant whose death was registered in 1955 was 84 and died in Mallow Superintendent Registrar's District in County Cork.

Parallel families like this truly are the bane of any genealogist's life!
Attachments
OReganGraveDrumcliff.jpg
OReganGraveDrumcliff.jpg (166.49 KiB) Viewed 15051 times