Interpreting Griffith's Valuation

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

ploughman

Interpreting Griffith's Valuation

Post by ploughman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:23 pm

How do you match information given for a specific person with a plot of land on Griffith's Valuation map? For example, the information for Henry Barrett of County Clare, Parish Feakle states:

Publication Details
Position on Page 9
Printing Date 1855
Act 15&16
Sheet Number 19,27
Map Reference 7

When I pull the linked map, it shows plots of land with red numbers. Did Henry lease the plot with 9 on it (position on page)?
Sorry if I'm asking very basic questions, I'm new to all this information.
thanks,
Pam

Paddy Casey

Re: Interpreting Griffith's Valuation

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Pam,

This isn't a specific answer to your question but if, as you say, you are new to this area the document "Is There More in Griffith's Valuation
Than Just Names?" at http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/GRIFFITH/Griffiths.PDF is required reading. It contains a lot of guidelines on navigating the Griffith's Valuation materials.

Paddy

ploughman

Post by ploughman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:09 am

thank you! I learned a lot from the article. It's a keeper.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:42 pm

The James R. Reilly explanation is very good, but one thing puzzled me: in most cases the red boundary lines of plots follow the boundary lines of fields, but in some townlands these red lines cut straight across the fields (these are especially noticeable when you zoom out). The later 1887 - 1913 OSI map shows the new boundaries in place with just some traces of the old fields. Griffith's truly is a snapshot of work-in-progress: the consolidation of farms. This, then, made me think that some of the larger fields shown in the other plots probably had already been through this process, but, in the case of these, we have no record of what preceded them.

I looked in "Reading the Irish Landscape", by Frank Mitchell and Michael Ryan, and found only a few words on "the realigning of field boundaries" (pg. 339 of the 1998 edition), but a very good photo of some fields in Brideswell, Co. Roscommon, which shows traces of the old fields within the new square ones, and which speaks a thousand words. Probably there are good examples in Clare as well, and maybe some articles and photos someone could point me to.

Sheila

ehealy

Post by ehealy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:05 pm

Hi Pam, I too am searching for my Barrett ancestors in Feakle. Would you like to compare notes? I believe my 3rd great grandmother Bridget (Biddy) Barrett (1819-1889) may be a sister to your Henry. She married Thomas Boland, before 1846, and their son John Boland (1848-1924) is my maternal 2nd great grandfather. He was born in Derryfadda townland, Caher Feakle RC Parish. Looking forward to hearing from you