Who Lived in Knockbeha Cottage, Feakle?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Padraig Og O Ruairc

Who Lived in Knockbeha Cottage, Feakle?

Post by Padraig Og O Ruairc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:00 pm

Hello all
- I am better at the archival work than the genealogy, and online searches so I am looking for some help.

I am trying to find out who lived at Knockbeha Cottage, Cahir / Tulla Upper, Feakle, Co. Clare from 1921 to 1926. I have found correspondence from them in the course of my research and it mentions that their hay and some of their property was burned by members of L Company of the R.I.C. Auxiliary Division in May 1921 - unfortunately the letter is not signed.

So my question is who was living there? Ive tried online searches on the Clare Library site, and the National Archives webpage, but havent been able to pin down the individual house. Ive also had a look in the book "Houses of Clare" but it dosen't seem to be listed. However the house seems to be well known and is listed on the National Inventory of Archaeological Heritage at:

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/cgi-bi ... iteid=3544

Can anyone help?
Padraig Og O Ruairc

smcarberry

Re: Who Lived in Knockbeha Cottage, Feakle?

Post by smcarberry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:30 pm

Here's an instance when the 1921 census would be handy. Perhaps you can use the 1911 census to see who had the largest house in Feakle. I wonder if a house had to be occupied at the time of a census in order for the building to be described. An absentee landlord might be involved. Below is a screenshot of a Parliamentary report page showing a large landowner in Knockbeha in 1908. Maloney is certainly a possibility for the owner of a big house there.

That Parliatmentary report citiation is:
Parliamentary papers, Volume 40
By Great Britain. Parliament. House of Commons

It's a Google book, at:
http://tiny.cc/F4vw6

Sharon Carberry
Knockbeha, Maloney prop.jpg
Knockbeha, Maloney prop.jpg (39.97 KiB) Viewed 26116 times

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi Padraic,

I see Knockbeha Cottage is listed in the Buildings of Ireland website. This possibly suggests that it may be listed in Hugh Weir's Houses of Clare, for each building he surveys he has a list and some details of families associated with the house. Might be worth a check.

Padraig Og O Ruairc

Post by Padraig Og O Ruairc » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:05 am

Helllo - thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately when I search the 1911 census (presumably the same people owned the house 10 years later) it does not give a full address just House 1 Knockbeha / House 15 Cahir / House 7 Tulla Upper etc. no good for finding out who was living in "Knockbeha Cottage". Thanks for the reference though Sharon

I just had a look at Hugh Weirs book yesterday - there dosent seem to be any mention of either "Knockbeha Cottage" or even "Knockbeha" in the index - so no joy there but thanks anyway "madhatter".

The only options left are try to find a register of electors that gives a detailed address or see if the Clare Champion of 1921 has any information oh hay and property burned in Knockbeha in May of 1921 - which, considering the more dramatic events that were taking place in the War Of Independence, seems very unlikely.

Any other suggestions???

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:56 am

I'm afraid I can't add much on Knockbeha in the early 1920s.

You will have to wait for Knockbeha Cottage to be listed at http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/Lande ... sp?id=2089

In Griffith's Valuation, the house with the greatest valuations in Knockbeha were those of John M'Arthur (No. 30 on map, valuation 16 pounds) and William Murdock (No. 23 on map, 10 pounds). The accompanying map shows that Knockbeha Cottage was No. 30.

In the 1911 census return at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/r ... 001799026/ the private dwellings in Knockbeha with most rooms occupied were those of Ellen McArthur (6 rooms, 6 windows in front) and James Murdock (6 rooms, 5 windows in front). The Murdocks were C. Of I. and the McArthurs were R.C.

Feakle Graveyard had inscriptions to McArthurs of Knockbeha who died in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s - see http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... tions2.htm and
http://foto.clarelibrary.ie/fotoweb/Pre ... FE3B171137

Kilclaran Graveyard has more recent inscriptions - http://foto.clarelibrary.ie/fotoweb/Pre ... FE3B171137

There is still a McArthur in Knockbeha:
McArthur, John
Knockbeha Caher
* (061)925262

The planned 1921 census was cancelled due to the Troubles. The next census (after 1911) was held in 1926. See http://www.cigo.ie/campaigns_1926.html for details of a campaign to make it accessible to genealogists.

\pw

Padraig Og O Ruairc

Post by Padraig Og O Ruairc » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:12 am

Thanks for the help P Waldron - yep I was aware that the 1921 census was cancelled due to the circumstances of the Irish War of Independence - hopefully the 1926 census will be made available soon.

Following Sharons information I searched Maloneys in Knockbeha on the 1911 census and the only one that came up for me was Patrick - not William as was listed on Sharons reference

Still the great need is to tie a single person to the house/ identify the house on the census I have some great information about the person who lived there but just cant put a name on them ... YET

Padraig

Padraig Og O Ruairc

Post by Padraig Og O Ruairc » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:22 am

In Griffith's Valuation, the house with the greatest valuations in Knockbeha were those of John M'Arthur (No. 30 on map, valuation 16 pounds) and William Murdock (No. 23 on map, 10 pounds). The accompanying map shows that Knockbeha Cottage was No. 30.
The Mc Arthurs might be the people I'm looking for - the question is what year was Griffiths valuation carried out and was Mr. John M'Arthur still resident there in 1921 and 1926? Short of phoning up the Mc Arthurs still living in the area is there a way to confirm who was living in "Knockbeha Cottage"

Thanks again for all the help and responses
Padraig

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:51 am

Padraig Og O Ruairc wrote:
The Mc Arthurs might be the people I'm looking for - the question is what year was Griffiths valuation carried out and was Mr. John M'Arthur still resident there in 1921 and 1926? Short of phoning up the Mc Arthurs still living in the area is there a way to confirm who was living in "Knockbeha Cottage"

Thanks again for all the help and responses
Padraig
Padraig,

Try the Valuation Office (http://www.valoff.ie). They have masses of old records of occupiers and, indeed, list ".....Historical certificates of rateable valuation ...." on their website.

Try giving them a call at 01 817 1000 or E-mail: info@valoff.ie
Public Office Opening Hours: Monday to Friday-9.15am to 4.30pm

Paddy

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:06 am

Agreed. I would visit the Valuation Office in the Irish Life Centre in Dublin if I wanted to confirm who was the occupier recorded for a particular property on a particular date. As you now know the townland and the occupier and plot number at the time of Griffith's Valuation, it is fairly straightforward to follow the changes of occupier forward through the Cancelled Books in the Valuation Office.

But don't dismiss the prospect of learning more by enquiring about local knowledge or local myths that have survived in the area.

\pw

Padraig Og O Ruairc

Post by Padraig Og O Ruairc » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:48 pm

Hello all and thanks again for the assistance, its greatly appreciated.

I took a trip to the local studies center this morning and found references to Knockbeha Cottage in "A Short History Of The Parish Of Killena Or Upper Feakle" by Father John Clancy 1964. I also had a second look at Weirs book and found an entry for Knockbeha cottage on page 168

The house was apparently owned by the McArthur family, it had been used as a shooting lodge and an R.I.C. barracks. It was burned down during the Civil War in 1922.
some of their property was burned by members of L Company of the R.I.C. Auxiliary Division in May 1921

I had another look at the copies of the letters I have as and it was their neighbors house and property that was destroyed by the British forces - so any newspaper accounts of that wont be of use.

Right so i now know that the McArthur family owned the house in 1911 so the man who wrote the letters seems to have been either Joseph 38, Peter 37 and Richard 28 all of whom were single. So next chance I get ill go straight to the Valuation Office in the Irish Life Centre in Dublin and see If I can find out who was still there fifteen years later in 1926

Thanks again for all the help, Paddy, pwaldron, Sharon & madhatter
Padraig

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:13 pm

pwaldron wrote:.........don't dismiss the prospect of learning more by enquiring about local knowledge or local myths that have survived in the area.
\pw
Amen to that, Paddy. Amen. Amen. Amen.

Paddy

Padraig Og O Ruairc

Post by Padraig Og O Ruairc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:16 am

I'm treading carefully on this one don't want to stick my oar in where its not wanted, all will be revealed in time - until then; "Say nothing till you hear more!"

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:33 am

Padraig Og O Ruairc wrote:I'm treading carefully on this one don't want to stick my oar in where its not wanted, all will be revealed in time - until then; "Say nothing till you hear more!"
You can rent a wig, false beard, deerstalker hat and Meerschaum pipe from Pat McGann Theatrical Costume Hire/Fancy Dress in Clarina, Pádraig. That way no-one will notice your making enquiries around Feakle.

Give them a call at (061)353160.

Paddy

Padraig Og O Ruairc

Post by Padraig Og O Ruairc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Thats all very well from a safe distance in Switzerland, Paddy. Im still living here!

Your suggestion reminds me of General Neville Macready, the commander of the British forces in Ireland - who commented that if a member of the R.I.C. put on a mackintosh coat and false beard to go out at night and commit reprisals he was ‘damned glad of it’

Padraig

kathleen carberry

Looking for the Carberry's from 3 Alexander St waterford

Post by kathleen carberry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:17 pm

In a 1911 census there was a Carberry Family who lived at 3 Alexander Street Waterford. Parents were Thomas and mother was Mary. they had approx 8 children. James, Thomas, George,Patrick,Nellie,Joseph,Michael and May. I have recently found out the Nellie Carberry was my grandmother. She had a son Michael Vincent Carberry who was my father.
I understand that although she was 13 when the 1911 census was taken, she had my father at 27. She was an unwed mother and gave birth to my dad at the Kilrush Nursery run by the sisters of Mercy in County Clare on Oct 4 1925.

I understand that she did not raise my father. He was raised by the Culligan family of Crusheen Ireland. Do you know anything at all about these Carberry's and in particular NELLIE. I have been searching and searching and come up with nothing. Anything would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

kathleen Carberry-Vaught