Info wanted for: Knoc(k)agarrane, Rooskamore, Ballyinchinmore

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

murf

Info wanted for: Knoc(k)agarrane, Rooskamore, Ballyinchinmore

Post by murf » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:45 am

This query relates to two adjacent properties that lie on each side of the boundary between the townlands of Drumellihy(Cunningham) and Drumellihy(Westropp) in Kilmacduane Parish. In Griffiths Valuation the former property was occupied by Edmund Callanan, and the latter by Daniel Campbell. In the Tithe Applotment books the occupants were respectively, Michael Campbell and Patrick Campbell. I have reason to suspect, without positive proof, that Edmund Callanan was Michael Campbell's son-in-law, which would explain that property transfer.
When consulting the 1821 List of freeholders for Michael and Patrick Campbell I found the Place of Abode for both as Knockagarrane and the Situation of Freehold at Knocagarrane. http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ers_c1.htm
Then the 1829 Registry of Freeholders gives their Residence as Rooskamore and the location of freehold as Ballyinchinmore.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... re1829.htm
A Google search on these three names revealed nothing more except that there is a Knockagarrane Townland in Co Cork, but I'm not sure that's any help. I realise that there were some unofficial local names that may have disappeared over time, but three seems a bit much.
Can anyone throw any light on these names?

The EIRcode reference for the above two properties: Callanan V15 EH11 Campbell V15 AD95

Sduddy

Re: Info wanted for: Knoc(k)agarrane, Rooskamore, Ballyinchinmore

Post by Sduddy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 am

Hi Murf

I looked at Campbell on the Genmap and notice that there are Campbells in quite a few places. I think the Campbells in Kilmacduane are not the same Campbells who are in the 1821 list and 1829 list that you provide links for. I notice that the 1821 List of Freeholders puts Knocagarrane in the Barony of Burren.

Ballyinchinmore: Ballyinsheen More is a townland in Kilmoon parish, which is in the barony of Burren. Griffith’s Valuation shows Patrick Campbell in Ballyinsheen More. Also leasing a farm there is Michael Thynne, probably a descendant of the Michael Thynne whose life is one of the three lives (the duration of the lease) in the list of Freeholders, 1821: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ilmoon.htm
The Tithe applotment books for Kilmoon show Ballyincheenmore and shows Patt Campbelle and Tho’s Campbelle there.
Kilmoon civil parish lies in the Catholic parish of Lisdoonvarna. This shows no baptism of a Campbell. But there is a marriage in 1878 of Patrick Campbell and Mary Kerin: The marriage was registered in Ballyvaughan: 12 Feb 1878: Marriage of Pat Campbell, aged 24, Farmer, Knockiskeheen, son of Thomas Campbell, Farmer, to Mary Kerin, aged 20, Knockiskeheen, daughter of John Kerin, Farmer, in Lisdoonvarna chapel; witnesses: Michael Linnane, Mary Brennan. Knockaskeheen is a townland in the parish of Kimoon. Griffith's shows a Thomas Campbell there: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... keheen.htm

Ruskamore is probably the townland of Rooska in Kilmoon parish. Griffith’s shows no Campbell there, but shows a William Stacpoole, maybe a descendant of the man whose life was one of the 3 lives (the duration of the lease) in the 1821 list.

Knockagarrane is presenting a problem. The Tithe applotment books show a Knockmagarra in the parish of Rath. But there is no Campbell there. The names are Burke, Neylon, Crowe and Hegarty.
The Rath and Kilnaboy baptism register 1818 – 1836 shows a place called Knockinagara in Rath parish. But again no Campbell. The names are Hegarty, Hehir, Crowe, Casey, Nestor, Burke.
The parish of Rath does not adjoin Kilmoon - it's a bit away from Kilmoon, so I am doubting that this Knockmagarra is Knockagarane. The Lisdoonvarna baptisms show some Campbells in that parish, plus there is a place called Knockacaran. This Knockacaran might be Knockagarane, but I see no evidence of Campbells living there.

Murf, don’t forget that Campbell was sometimes spelled “Cammel” in the parish registers.

Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:11 am

Thanks for that Sheila
I must confess that I did notice that these entries were in the Burren Barony but it just didn't register because I have little familiarity with the layout of Clare baronies.
So I guess the bottom line is that I scratch the 1821 and 1829 listings. But that doesn't detract from what I have from the Tithe Applotments and Griffiths Valuation.
In the Kilmacduane Graveyard there is a memorial to Michael Campbell(1776-1848), husband of Catherine Mescall and this is highly likely to be the Michael from Drumellihy(Cunningham). The date of his death fits well with the transfer of tenancy to Edmund Callanan.
The impetus for this exercise stems from a DNA match I have with a Campbell descendant. We have ancestral lines that converge on Drumellihy in this era. We now await that last piece of information that makes the connection.
And yes, Sheila I was aware of the Cammel/Campbell bit for I have a gg grandmother Sarah Cammel(1815-1902) from Lehaknock, Kilmaley Parish.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Hi Murf

I looked at Drumellihy Cunningham in Kilmacduane, but haven’t found the Callinan-Campbell connection you are looking for, I’m sorry to say.
I looked at the Patrick Callinan, who is living in Drumellihy Cunningham in 1901, aged 35. I think he is probably a descendant of the Edmond Callanan, mentioned by you. Edmond was leasing a large farm there at the time of Griffith’s Valuation (1856). Patrick married Mary Browne on 27 Apr. 1897. The record gives his father as Charles Callinan. Patrick may be a son of Charles Callinan who married Catherine Reidy in 1858 (Kilmacduane marriages), or he may be a son of Charles Callinan who married Kate Murrihy. I don’t see a marriage for this second couple but the baptisms of their children go from 1866 – 1878 (and probably later).
I thought the marriage of Charles Callinan to Catherine Reidy might connect in some way to the Joseph Campbell, aged 50, who is one of the household of Michael Reidy in Drumellihy Westby in 1901, but I was wrong. Joseph is not the nephew of Michael - he is the nephew of Michael’s wife Harriet O’Brien. Harriet’s mother was Fanny Campbell who had married a Michael O’Brien. The sponsor at the baptism of Harriet’s sister, Fanny, on 24.01.1856, was Eliza Reidy, but I don’t think this is of any significance as there are a lot of Reidys around there.

Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:46 am

Hi Sheila
Having studied the various records for this Callinan family over a number of years I remain convinced that the 1858
marriage between Charles Callinan and Catherine Reidy is a transcription error, it should be Catherine Murrihy. I
have found no evidence to confirm they were two separate couples. The first child (Bridget) of Charles Callinan and
Kate Murrihy was born in Feb 1860 which fits with an 1858 marriage. In his transcriptions Fr Ryan acknowledges
the shortcomings of the registers prior to 1859.
I can confirm that the Patrick you refer to is a son of Charles and Kate Murrihy and Charles a son of Edmond and
Bridget Callinan.
Apart from the fact that the Campbells and Callinans lived on adjoining properties there are several life events to
associate the two families:
* Ellen Campbell sponsor at baptism of Ellen Callinan(daughter of Charles) in 1874.
* Katie Callinan witness to marriage of Margaret Campbell(daughter of Daniel) and Michael Darcy in 1891.
* Patrick Callinan witness to marriage of John Campbell(son of Daniel) and Winifred Honan in 1895.
* John Campbell present at death of Charles Callinan in 1903.
The DNA evidence points to a marriage between the two families in the early 19th Century. The maiden name of
Edmond Callinan's wife Bridget could be the missing link.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:54 am

Hi Murf

Yes, it’s very possible that Reidy is a transcription error in that 1858 marriage record and that it should be Murrihy. As you say, the birth of Kate in 1860 ties in with an 1858 marriage. You confirm that Patrick in the 1901 census is the son of Charles Callinan and Kate Murrihy. Is he the Pat Calnan baptised 07.03.1862? The parents are given as Ned Calnan and Kate Murrihy, but I think the priest must have confused Charles with his father.

Anyway, I agree that the Callinan-Campbell connection came about in the early part of the century, so looking at records made in latter half of the century was a waste of time. I agree that Edmond Callanan might have married a Campbell.

I said that Joseph Campbell must be a nephew of Harriet Riedy nee O’Brien, and just want to correct that mistake: he was nephew of Harriet’s mother Fanny O’Brien, nee Campbell. The 1911 census confirms that he and Harriet were cousins (in that census his age jumps to 73). The death record (1907) for Fanny OBrien confirms that she was the widow of Michael O’Brien. This helpful note by the registrar is a feature of the Kilrush records – such notes were not made by every registrar. She is aged 88 at death so was born about 1820. Maybe Fanny was a daughter of the Michael Campbell who is in Drumellihy Cunningham in Tithes. Joseph died in 1916, aged 75, so born about 1840. And it’s clear he was born to a brother of Fanny, but he doesn’t appear as a witness, or as sponsor in any of the parish records, so there’s no clue as to other siblings – I won’t pursue him any further!

Sheila

murf

Post by murf » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:24 pm

Hi Sheila
Yes, Pat was the son of Charles and Kate. Just shows that you should be careful not to read too much into these records. It also highlights the usefulness of having the transcripts in spreadsheet format where such errors can be more readily identified. Your labour of love is so valuable.
I think we have just about picked the bones out of this, but anyway thanks for setting me straight on those townland names.
murf

ACProctor

Post by ACProctor » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:38 am

murf wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:11 am
And yes, Sheila I was aware of the Cammel/Campbell bit for I have a gg grandmother Sarah Cammel(1815-1902) from Lehaknock, Kilmaley Parish.
I am currently researching the Frawleys/Fralys from Lehaknock and so have found Sarah Cammel in my tree. Let me know if you want to compare notes. Some of the generations there are hard to fit together.