Query re Kilmaley marriages

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Query re Kilmaley marriages

Post by Sduddy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Kilmaley marriages are not among the records available on https://registers.nli.ie. But a list of Kilmaley marriages seems to have been published in some issue of the Kilmaley Magazine.
John Mayer, in his transcriptions of Kilmaley baptisms donated to clarelibrary.ie, gives some notes on marriages, which are very useful. For instance, after the baptism of each of the children of John Cusack and Bridget Mungovan, he notes that John and Bridget were married in Nov. 1838.

I am wondering which issue of the Kilmaley magazine contains the list.

Sheila

Paddy Casey

Re: Query re Kilmaley marriages

Post by Paddy Casey » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:07 pm

At https://www.ancestry.com/boards/localit ... .1/mb.ashx I read "Classification: Query
The marriage of Pat Sheehy and Bridget Halloran is dated on January 26, 1831. This date was published in the 1997 edition of the Kilmaley Parish Magazine. Someone must have visited the church offices and transcribed the list of baptisms from 1828 - 1882".

Paddy

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 am

Hi Paddy
Thank you for finding the answer to my query. It’s good to know that the Kilmaley marriages have survived, and can be found in the Kilmaley Magazine 1997. Hopefully that’s in the reference section of the Ennis library.
And it’s good to know that dundeemayer is still helping people find their Kilmaley roots. He helped me a lot when I was starting out some years ago.

Sheila

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:42 am

I can send it if you are interested. The file is too big to attach here!

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:19 am

Just an idea: send it to the Clare County Library too so that they can put it on their server/website.

Paddy

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:59 am

Hi John

Do send it please. My email address is still the same.

Hi Paddy

I wonder will there be a problem with copyright? Somebody made that list of marriages and published it in the Kilmaley magazine. That needs to be acknowledged at the very least.

Sheila

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:29 am

Hi Sheila,

Re. copyright, I guess it depends on where the list in the Kilmaley magazine came from. I had assumed, and I no longer know why I assumed this, that the data came from John who had transcribed it. The next step would presumably be to find a phone number of the Kilmaley magazine editor, if one (editor or phone number) still exists and call them. Peter Beirne at the Clare Library Local Studies Centre (065-6846271) might be able to help here. Peter and Brian know everyone who is anyone in Clare local history. Heck, some time back I called to ask where to find somebody and Peter told me he was right there in the Local Studies Centre and called him to the phone (I had to pick myself up off the floor before talking to him).

Alternatively, if John were to consider uploading the data to the Library website the webmistress there could probably advise re. copyright. Her predecessors Maureen and Anthony were very familiar with the copyright rules and applied them strictly if appropriate.

Paddy

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks Paddy for your good advice. I’ve had great success as you will see.

John, Thanks for sending that article, “Registered Marriages in Kilmaley Parish 1829 – 1900”, from the Kilmaley Magazine 1997, and for giving me David Dillon’s name as the author. I’ve been speaking to him on the phone just now and he agrees wholeheartedly with my attaching the article here.

It’s a great transcription – goes right up to 1900 - very few question marks – clearly done by someone who knows the area well – altogether a great job of work. David says that he was given the job of producing the magazine in 1988 for one year – he has produced it every year since then and is now preparing the 31st issue.

Sheila

P.S. The names written in the margins are the ones cut off at the tops and bottoms of pages.

P.P.S. I edited this posting on 28.01.2019. I deleted the attachment in order to make space for Broadford baptisms.
Last edited by Sduddy on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:56 pm

David Dillon, who produces the Kilmaley Magazine each year, and has kindly given me permission to transcribe the marriages he had already transcribed for the magazine in 1997. This will make them searchable by bride, or by groom. See attached.

Sheila
Attachments
KilmaleyMarriages 1829 -1900 by Groom.xlsx
(103.54 KiB) Downloaded 743 times
KilmaleyMarriages 1829 -1900 by Bride.xlsx
(101.2 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
Kilmaley Marriages 1829 -1900.xlsx
(102.15 KiB) Downloaded 620 times

murf

Post by murf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:31 pm

Thanks for that Sheila.