LYNCH family from THE GLEN, KILRUSH

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

joanbirtles

LYNCH family from THE GLEN, KILRUSH

Post by joanbirtles » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:08 am

Hello, I am trying to find out whether Deborah Dundon nee Lynch born abt 1803 Kilrush to Michael Lynch and Bridget Moran were related to my gg grandfather John Lynch.
Deborah Lynch & Patrick Dundon were married in Kilrush about 1823 and lived at The Glen, Kilrush. My gg grandfather John Lynch was born June 1827 [as shown on his HEIC army record-Madras, India] his father's name was Patrick b abt 1800, but no mother's name or siblings known.
When John Lynch married in Madras in 1851 he named his first daughter Deborah Jane born 1852 and in 1853 John, Paulina his Indo Briton wife and daughter Deborah Jane sailed for NSW on the "William Prowse".
I am just clutching at straws as usual after many years of research in the hope that perhaps John's father Patrick bc1800 and Deborah Dundon nee Lynch bc1803 were siblings and Deborah Jane b 1852 may have been named after Deborah Dundon nee Lynch who would be her gt aunt!! As Kilrush PR's only start late 1827 there is no record for John's baptism. Thank you for any help. Joan

kbarlow

Re: LYNCH family from THE GLEN, KILRUSH

Post by kbarlow » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:29 am

You have probably checked this source, but its an unusual name in the 1820s, with GenMaps showing only one landholder near Kilrush by name of Dundon:

1824 Tithes: Dundon Edm'd Moyasta, Kilfearagh (father, uncle or older brother of Patrick?)

By the 1850's several more in the area, with two near Kilrush, including Debora: 1855 Griffiths: Debora Dundon Kilrush: Kilrush Town: The Glen AND Patrick Dundon, Kilrush: Kilrush Town: Pella Road, Kilrush AS WELL AS Patrick Dundon, Querrin, Moyarta, Kilrush.

And there are 12 Lynches in Kilrush & 15 in Moyarta in the 1850s - you may be able to match these names from the townland (or adjacent) of the Dundons.

Kerry

joanbirtles

Post by joanbirtles » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:56 am

Thank you so much Kerry for your reply which I'm sorry I've only just looked at the Forum and found it.
I have found the Dundon's at Querrin, Moyarta & Kilrush. If there were PR's to show that my ggg grandfather Patrick was the son of Michael Lynch & Bridget Moran it would be brilliant let alone find Patrick Lynch's wife's name.
I have been trying to prove for years if Debra Dundon nee Lynch was sister to my ggg grandfather Patrick Lynch. Debra/Deborah was born about 1803 and my Patrick was born about 1800-1810. Patrick's son John b June 1827 named his first child Deborah Jane and I feel that she could have been named after Debra Dundon who may have been his aunt...but proving this is extremely frustrating. Debra Dundon whose parents were Michael Lynch and Bridget Moran lived at The Glen which was in Kilrush town, or at the end of, and came to Australia when her husband died. Once again thank you so much for your help. Will keep on searching. Do you know if there are any Co Clare deaths online [apart from the LDS] as I have possible deaths but to send to Ireland is too expensive from Australia.

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:06 am

Hi Joan - what ship did Deborah arrive on? it is highly possible there were Lynch and Moran family members on board? I've found many of my Ballarat family arriving in dribs and drabs with others related to them on same ship.

I know yoy may have all this - but I notice there is only 1 Moran in Kilrush parish 1820s (Patrick - Bridget's father?) and a Patrick Moran 1850s at Durha, just on the outskirts of Kilrush Town - her father or brother? there is a marriage of Patrick Moran & Catherine Fitzgibbon Feb 1837 at Kilrush Chapel (she daughter of Patrick Fitzgibbon). There is only 1 Patrick Fitzgibbon at Durha in 1855, so it is highly probable Patrick is Bridget Moran's brother.

cheers, Kerry

joanbirtles

Post by joanbirtles » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:21 am

Hi Kerry, Once again I apologise as it is over 12 mths since you kindly messaged me and I have only just found the Forum again. You asked about the ship Deborah Dundan/Dundon arrived on and it was the "Victory" in 1857 which also had her sons Michael 16 and Philip 25. Another passenger with name similar to who I am mainly researching was Bridget Lynch aged 12 but so many Lynch's.
I will see who are the witnesses at the marriage of Patrick Moran & Catherine Fitzgibbon in Feb 1837 perhaps that may give me a clue although this is getting further away from the Lynch's I am trying to follow.
Thank you again for sorry for such a long delay in replying. I have had DNA done but even this is not helping.
Joan :)