Sisters of Mercy, Ennis ~ School Records

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

s1nead

Sisters of Mercy, Ennis ~ School Records

Post by s1nead » Tue May 16, 2017 12:43 am

Before I unnecessarily bother the Sister Archivist, does anyone know if there are student records in the Archives of the Sisters of Mercy at Ennis?

I'm wondering if my great grandmother attended their school.....

I think she might have been educated ..... three of her brothers were college graduates. Two were doctors and the third was a civil engineer.

In my newspaper research, I discovered that her female relatives were ALL active volunteers at the Sisters' Annual Bazaar....since 1859.

Born in 1855 (the Sisters had arrived in 1854), she might have been sent to the Sisters ...

Thanks for reading!
Susan

Lucille

Re: Sisters of Mercy, Ennis ~ School Records

Post by Lucille » Tue May 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Susan

I would be really interested in the answer you get from the Ennis convent. Some years ago I remember reading online about a past pupils gathering in the secondary (second level) school where the records after 1920, I think, were available, which seems to imply that there were no records before that. The primary school records might be available in the National Archives if it were classed as a National School, but I haven't seen such records. Perhaps if enough interest were shown the nuns might do some serious searching.

Good luck with the search and please let the Forum know how you get on.

Lucille

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed May 17, 2017 12:33 pm

The 1901 and 1911 censuses show the Convent of Mercy boarders in Quinn’s Row, Ennis Urban DED. Not a helpful reply to sInead’s query, I know, but may be useful for somebody sometime.

Sheila

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Thu May 18, 2017 2:59 pm

I knew I had seen the pupils in the censuses but could not find them when I was writing the last post - thanks Sheila. The nuns were enumerated in Arthurs Row.

As Sheila says, not an answer to the immediate question but may be of use to someone elds.

Lucille

s1nead

Post by s1nead » Fri May 26, 2017 4:37 pm

I regret to report that there are no student records in the Mercy Archives.
:(

But, in my further research, I did learn a lot about Mercy's progressive approach to 19th century female education in Ireland.

Based on what I discovered in newspaper archives, I took a leap and believe my relatives went to Mercy at St Mary's Pension School.

I wrote about it here:

http://ennistymon.blogspot.com/2017/05/ ... zaars.html

Newspaper Archives are currently my most fruitful resource ...........

Thanks for reading.