Master Hugh Brady of Ruan National School, b.ca.1844, d.1918

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Dublinwoods

Re: Master Hugh Brady of Ruan National School, b.ca.1844, d.

Post by Dublinwoods » Fri May 22, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks, great article!

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:43 pm

The Clare Champion of the 14th August, 1909, reported on the celebration in honour of Hugh Brady referred to by Paddy Casey at the beginning of this thread. Here is my transcription of the names of those who signed the Testimonial addressed to Mr. Brady:
Bernard J Brady, P Cahill, John Casey, George Chambers, J M Clancy, Martin Cleary, James Costello, John Costello, Thomas Cotter, Michael Crowe, C.C.; Thomas S Crowe, M. Cullinan, James Daly, J R Daly, James Dillon, P Dillon, Frank Egan, James T Egan, John Egan, Michael J Egan, P M Egan, F Fitzgerald, William M Fitzgerald, P Flanagan, John Foley, W Foley, C.C.; Thomas Forde, Edmund Fox, D Galvin, M Galvin, George Greene, M Hassett, J Hegarty, M Hegarty, H Hehir, J Hogan, T Honan, J Hurley, John Keane, P Keane, Jeremiah Kelly, M J Kelly, P Kelly, James Kenny, John Kenny, Joseph Kenny, Pat Kenny, Thomas Learhinan, P Lennane, A F McGann, R P McGann, R McMahon, P Mac Namara, Thomas Maguire, D Neylan, W Neylan, John Nilan, John O’Brien, P O’Brien, T O’Brien, George O’Donnell, W O’Dwyer, M O’Flynn, J P O’Gorman, J O’Halloran, J O’Shaughnessy, A O’Sullivan, P Purcell, James Sullivan, D Sweeney, P M Woods, P. Carmody, F.I.O., F.O.S. - 5th August, 1909.

John Costello, who read the address, and his brother, James (one of the signatories), were two of the ten children of Thomas Costello and Catherine O’Dea, who were married in 1860 and lived in Drumquin, in the parish Kilraghtis. John was baptised on 25th May 1862; James on 19th March 1870. They attended Ruan school and passed the Civil Service exam, which was a great achievment at that time. John worked in the Registry of Deeds Office in Dublin. James worked in the G.P.O.

One of John’s sons, Thomas Joseph, became a doctor, went to England and served in the British army in W.W.I. He was awarded the Military Cross in 1917. The other son, John A. Costello, was called to the bar in 1914, and as a young barrister came to Ennis for the Quarter Sessions. He was not in the least involved in the 1916 Rebellion - his memory of the start of the Easter Rising was that he was playing a round of golf when he heard the news, and had difficulty getting home because of the barricades. He joined the Cumann na Gael political party, and was one of the main advisors to the government of the Irish Free State, and was Attorney General from 1926 to 1932. When the party came into power, he was elected as leader and Taoiseach from 1948 to 1951 and, again, from 1954 – 1957. David McCullough, in his biography, “The Reluctant Taoiseach”, gives a paragraph (p eight) on the origins of John A.’s father*, but does not mention the crucial part played by Hugh Brady.

John Costello (Sen.) was, himself, politically active and was elected three times to Dublin Corporation (North City electoral area). He died in 1936, aged 74. His brother James rose through the ranks in the G.P.O and lived in a house in the fashionable Alma Road in Monkstown. He died in 1950.

Sheila

*David McCullough credits clarelibrary.ie for some of his information.

murf

Post by murf » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:56 pm

The following comes from the Clondagad/Kilchreest baptism register:
Parents Hugh Brady & Catherine Ginnane
Ellen b. 12 Jun 1848 sp John Hewson & Susanna Ryan
Jeremy b. 28 Sep 1850 sp Michael Brady & Mary Cleary
Edmund b. 23 Mar 1853 sp Thos Erwin & Mary Ryan
John b. 22 Mar 1857 sp Hugh Healy & Ellen Brady

According to prior information on this thread Hugh Brady NT was born in 1844, prior to the commencement of the baptism register in 1846. Also most of the register is missing between Aug 1853 and Jul 1855. There possibly may have been another child during this period.

My grandfather's oldest brother John Patrick Murphy (1860-1896) was employed in the public service in London for a number of years before ill health forced him to retire to Ballicorick where he died at the age of 36. I wonder if he may have studied under Hugh Brady. Is there any possible way to confirm this?

PS
At the beginning of this thread, Paddy Casey mentioned that Archbishop Dr Patrick Clune of Perth WA was a former pupil of Hugh Brady. For those interested there is an extensive article describing a return visit by Archbishop Clune to his native Ruan and a reception there attended by Hugh Brady in 1913.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/artic ... 8/23081464

Dublinwoods

Post by Dublinwoods » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:07 am

Thanks for your report on the information regarding the baptismal registry. Do you have a source for this information? I was unaware of the presence of John in the family. My sense is that Jeremy and John Brady died at a young age as I have no record of these two beyond their baptism. Thank you also for the link on the Archbishop of Perth.

murf

Post by murf » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:08 pm

My source for this info was the Clondagad/Kilchreest baptism register on microfilm at http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls0 ... 1/mode/1up
which I am in the process of transcribing. The four baptisms mentioned above comprise the sum total of all that I have found for this family up to 1873.

murf

Re: Master Hugh Brady of Ruan National School, b.ca.1844, d.1918

Post by murf » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:05 am

According to prior information on this thread Hugh Brady NT was born in 1844, prior to the commencement of the baptism register in 1846. Also most of the register is missing between Aug 1853 and Jul 1855. There possibly may have been another child during this period.
According to the 1905 List of National Teachers, Hugh Brady of Ruan was aged 61 years 9 months on 31 March 1905. If this is correct then it means he was born circa June 1843.