MCNAMARA'S OF FORTVILLE, LISPUCKANE, KILMALEY

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

ROJAMC42

MCNAMARA'S OF FORTVILLE, LISPUCKANE, KILMALEY

Post by ROJAMC42 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:00 pm

LOOKING FOR INFO ON THREE MCNAMARA SISTER'S BORN CIR. 1810 - 1840. THEIR PARENTS, FAMILIES OR ANYTHING. SEEMS THEY MOVED FROM BALLYCAR TO FORTVILLE, KILMALEY.

1) ANNE MCNAMARA m MICHAEL LYNCH OF FAIRY HILL

2) MARY ANNE ? MCNAMARA m JAMES KELLY OF CLENAGH, NEW MARKET ON FERGUS

3)KATE MCNAMARA m EDWARD BENNETT OF BALLYCAR, NEW MARKET ON FERGUS

ALSO THEIR TWO BROTHERS

1) WILLIAM m CATHERINE KELLY OF BALLYMURTAGH. LIVED IN FORTVILLE, KILMALEY.

2) JAMES m MARY SULLIVAN OF CORROFIN, LIVED IN FORTVILLE, KILMALEY

ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT.

BOB MCN
Last edited by ROJAMC42 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Re: MCNAMARA'S OF FORTVILLE, LICPUCKANE, KILMALEY

Post by Sduddy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:58 am

Hi Bob

I see from the entry on Edward Bennett on Wikipedia that he lived from 1845 – 1910. And I see from the Kilmaley headstone inscriptions, donated to clarelibrary.ie by John Mayer, that Edward M. Bennett was a cousin of Michael McNamara, Fortville (1876 - 1954): In loving memory of Mary McNamara Fortville died 1931. Her son Michael died 1954. His three grandchildren. His cousin Edward M Bennett, President of GAA 1887-1888. Also his son Eddie and daughter Madge. R.I.P. Erected by Gerard & Jane McNamara.

The records of births to Edward Bennett on familysearch.org give Catherine McMahon as his wife – Was Catherine McNamara first married to McMahon, and a widow when she married Edward Bennett?
I see from Claire Santry’s website: http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2016/ ... riage.html that the G.R.O. site: http://www.IrishGenealogy.ie. is to be expanded from tomorrow – I don’t know to what extent, but maybe we will find out if Catherine was a widow when she married.

The 1901 census shows Edward Bennett, Farmer and Clerk of Ennis Union, aged 56, and Kate aged 55, living in Ballycar (Tomfinlough DED), with their children, Edward aged 25, Margaret aged 26, Kate aged 23, and Elizabeth aged 14.
The 1911 census Kate Bennett, aged 66, a widow, living in Ballycar. She is 41 years married; 15 children were born to her but only two are still living (in 1911). One of these is Elsie, aged 24, who is living with her. Edward, born 1876, died in 1906; Margaret (Madge), born 1875, died in 1910 (familysearch.org).

Sheila

ROJAMC42

Post by ROJAMC42 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:49 pm

HI SHEILA
THANKS FOR THE REPLY. HERE IS MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE BENNETT MCNAMARA FAMILY.

KATE MCNAMARA m EDWARD BENNETT 1870. HE WAS WAS CLERK OF ENNIS UNION & President of GAA 1887-88.
THE MICHAEL MCNAMARA U REFER TO, WHO MARRIED MINNIE NEYLAN, WAS BENNETT'S NEPHEW.
BENNETT'S HAD 4 CHILDREN TO WIT:
MARGARET "MADGE" 1875 - 1910 EDWARD M, Jr, "EDDIE" 1876 - 1906
KATHLEEN "KATE" 1878 - 1911 ELIZABETH M "ELSIE" 1887 - 1918, CLERK OF ENNIS UNION, m DR. TOM FITZGERALD

THE Kilmaley headstone inscription, THE PRIMARY PERSON IS MARY MCNAMARA, THE MOTHER OF MICHAEL MCN.
HIS 3 GRAND CHILDREN, MOST LIKELY MICHAEL'S G-CHILDREN. His cousin Edward M Bennett, s/b NEPHEW. Also his (EDWARD M, Sr.) son Eddie and daughter Madge. Erected by Gerard & Jane McNamara (SON OF MICHAEL MCN & MINNIE, nee NEYLAN OF KILLERK)

RE THE MCNAMARA MARRIAGE TO MCMAHON, THERE WERE 3 SUCH MARRIAGES BUT NONE WERE OF THE BENNETT FAMILY.

ALSO THE KILMALEY HEADSTONE FOR FRANCIS MCNAMARA IS THE GGG FATHER OF KATE BENNETT, nee MCNAMARA, WHO IS ALSO REFERENCED TO AT Assoc. for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead, Ireland. Jrrnls 1888-1916: Kilmaley Parish

TO MY KNOWLEDGE
BOB MCN

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:54 am

Have you looked for this family in Twigge's book on the MacNamara family?
http://oac.ie/site/content/pedigrees-macnamara-family

My understanding is that Edward Bennett senior married Margaret McNamara and they had a son Edward Bennett junior who married Catherine McMahon.

Margaret McNamara had sisters Jane married to James Kelly of Clenagh; and Anne married to Michael Lynch of Fairyhill House in Culleen townland in the parish of Kilmaley.

This is based on a manuscript pedigree shown to me some years ago by a distant cousin who descends from James Kelly and Jane McNamara.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:07 pm

Michael Lynch and Anne McNamara had a daughter named Catherine Mary baptized in Kilmaley on February 9, 1856. Her godparenets were D. Lynch and Catherine McNamara.

ROJAMC42

Post by ROJAMC42 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:12 pm

WALDRON,
THANKS FOR THE REPLY. TWIGGE'S BOOK WEB SITE GOES BACK A LITTLE TOO FAR.

REGARDING EDWARD BENNETT, SR., (DOD NOV. 24, 1910), THE KILMALEY GRAVEYARD HAS A PHOTO (#67) OF THE HEAD STONE. & HE IS MENTIONED AT WEB SITE, Edward Bennet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. THE 1901 CENSUS SHOWS HIS WIFE AS "KATE" AND HIS WILL SHOWS UP IN 1911 WILLS. EDDIE, JR. DIED IN 1906.

THE 1901 CENSUS ALSO SHOWS THE KELLY'S IN CLENAGH BUT I DON'T FIND ANYTHING IN THE 1901 CENSUS OF LYNCH'S. THE KILMALEY BAPTISMS DO HAVE THE BIRTH OF CATHERINE MARY LYNCH, 1856.

COULD IT BE A COINCIDENCE THAT THE BENNETT, MCNAMARA, ET ALL, THAT U SHOW ARE BY CHANCE.

THX, BOB MCN

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:05 pm

James McNamara married Mary Sullivan in Kilmaley Parish on July 31, 1861. They had eleven children baptized in Kilmaley between 1863 and 1881.

pwaldron

Re: MCNAMARA'S OF FORTVILLE, LISPUCKANE, KILMALEY

Post by pwaldron » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Sorry, Bob, I should have avoided the terms "senior" and "junior" when referring to a sequence of more than two generations with the same name. Let's try numbering the generations I, II and III.

Edward Bennett I married Margaret McNamara. I do not know either his father's name or his date of death.

Edward Bennett II (son of Edward I) married Catherine McMahon. He died on 24 Nov 1910. See Limerick Chronicle 19 Feb 1870 at
http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/Shine-1.pdf
`At Newmarket-on-Fergus, county Clare, Edward Bennett,
Esq., of Ballycar, to Kate, daughter of John M'Mahon, Esq,
Ballynacraggy.'
DEATH_CERTIFICATE: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 09/4511255

Edward Bennett III (son of Edward III) never married. He died on 9 Jun 1906.
DEATH_CERTIFICATE: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 52/4557637

While there are some discrepancies between your information and mine, I am almost certain that we are talking about the same family and that this is not a coincidence, but I will be happy to be proved wrong.

ROJAMC42

Post by ROJAMC42 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:10 pm

HI WALDRON,

IT COULD BE THEY ARE ONE IN THE SAME EDWARD BENNETT. THE MARRIAGE IS THE RIGHT TIME BUT HE MARRIED ONE KATE MCNAMARA & THEY HAD FOUR KIDS. SEE THE 1901 CENSUS RECORDS.

EDWARD, AT ONE TIME, WAS THE CLERK OF THE ENNIS UNION & PRESIDENT OF THE GAA, 1887/88. HIS DAUGHTER, ELSIE, LATER WAS CLERK OF THE UNION. ON THE RECORD OF HIS DEATH U WILL SEE THE REGISTRAR IS "E M BENNETT." IF U LOOK AT THE KILMALEY GRAVEYARD RECORDS, PHOTO 67, U WILL SEE THAT BENNETT IS MENTIONED ON THE HEADSTONE.
Bennett Edward M. 67 Photo In loving memory of Mary McNamara Fortville died 1931. Her son Michael died 1954. His three grandchildren. His cousin Edward M Bennett, President of GAA 1887-1888. Also his son Eddie and daughter Madge. R.I.P. Erected by Gerard & Jane McNamara.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... veyard.htm

SO IT MAY BE THE SAME.
THX AGAIN, BOB MCN

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi Bob
Michael Lynch c1830-1914 of Fairy Hill, Kilmaley was my maternal greatgrandfather. He married Anne McNamara, daughter of the late James McNamara of Fortville, Kilmaley on 21st Oct 1854. The marriage took place in Kilmaley Church. James McNamara was a witness. The marriage was reported in the Clare Journal of 23rd Oct 1854.
Michael & Anne had one daughter, Catherine Mary (Kate), who was baptised on 27th Jan 1856. Catherine McNamara was a sponsor. The other sponsor was a Lynch, possibly B, who may have been Michael's brother Bartholomew. Kate is said to have gone to England where she worked as a governess. I remember hearing that she returned at some stage to visit Fairy Hill. I have been unable to trace Kate.
Anne died aged 45 on the night of New Year's Day 1865 (Clare Freeman & Ennis Gazette 07/01/1865). The cause of death as recorded on her death certificate would seem to indicate that she may have died in childbirth but if this is so the baby does not appear to have survived. Michael Lynch married as his second wife Ellen (Eily) Hennessy c1846-1941 in Kilrush Church on 25th April 1866.
Jim Molohan

ROJAMC42

Post by ROJAMC42 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:15 pm

JIM, GLAD TO HEAR FROM U. THE INFO ON MICHAEL LYNCH & ANNE MCNAMARA CLEARS UP THE MARRIAGE. HE IS BURIED IN KILMALEY GRAVEYARD (PHOTO 52) AS WELL AS HIS 2ND WIFE.

ANNE MCNAMARA'S G-FATHER, FRANCIS MCN (PHOTO 171), IS ALSO. FRANCIS' TOMBSTONE READING CAN BE FOUND AT, http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... lmaley.htm

IF U COULD SEND ME A COPY OF THE LYNCH MCNAMARA MARRIAGE, I WOULD LIKE IT. I RECENTLY EMAILED MY 2nd COUSIN WHO LIVES N KILMALEY & HE ALSO SAID THERE WAS NO TRACE OF CATHERINE MARY LYNCH TO HIS KNOWLEDGE.

IF U HAVE ACCESS TO ANNE'S OBIT & DEATH RECORD I WOULD LIKE THEM. R U N CLARE ?

THX, BOB MCN

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:50 pm

Hello Bob,

Did you notice a Kilmaley marriage on April 17, 1883, between a Henry McGrath and Catherine Lynch. It appears this family is living in Drumillehy, in Kilmacduane Parish, in the 1901 and 1911 census.

Baptism records are not published for that parish after 1880, so no additional information is available.

Might be worth a follow.

ROJAMC42

Post by ROJAMC42 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:02 pm

HI JOHN,
THE MARRIAGE RECORD SHOWS THE FATHER OF CATHERINE LYNCH IS PAT LYNCH AND HE IS DECEASED IN 1883. THE FATHER OF CATHERINE WHO I AM LOOKING FOR, IS MICHAEL, WHO DIED N 1914 AND IS BURIED IN KILMALEY GRAVEYARD.

HERE'S THE MARRIAGE RECORD
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 996333.pdf

THX, BOB MCN