Kilcross Graveyard

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Kilcross Graveyard

Post by Sduddy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:31 am

I’ve never visited Kilcross graveyard, but I imagine that there are no headstones there because of a curse on any such display - see http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... dysert.htm.
I am wondering if there is any local knowledge of what families are buried there, and whether the Considines from Coogaquid are among them.

Sheila

Sduddy

Re: Kilcross Graveyard

Post by Sduddy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:09 pm

‘Strange Bells and Music at Dysert’ by Michael Mac Mahon, published in this year’s The Other Clare (The Annual Journal of the Shannon Archaeological & Historical Society 2016), gives an interesting account of the history of Kilcross graveyard and quotes the piece by H. B. Harris. Mac Mahon visited the graveyard in 2015 in midsummer when the nettles were “almost shoulder high”* and says that there are some low stone blocks marking graves, but no inscribed headstones – “all the more remarkable since Kilcross continued in use as a functioning burial ground - albeit with diminishing frequency – until well within living memory. By that time, however, the burials had become sporadic, largely confined to members or descendants of a few old native families with deep rooted ancestral links with the place”.

William Neylan, who was buried there in 1919, was probably one such. He lived in Killerk East, in the parish of Killone, and died aged 75 on 28th Nov. 1919.
The Clare Champion of 6th Dec. 1919 reported on the funeral and here is my transcription of the list of chief mourners:
Bridget Neylan (wife), Michael J. and Rev. T. Neylan, C.C. (sons), Mrs. Ml. MacNamara, Nora and Delia (daughters); Mrs Dr. O’Brien (sister); James and Michael Gerrard MacNamara (grandsons); M. MacNamara (son-in-law); Mrs. M. J. Neylan (daughter-in-law); James and Michael O’Brien (brothers-in-law); Mrs. James O’Brien (sister-in-law); Michael Reynolds, Shepperton, John Clancy, Ballycashin, Michael and Patrick Clancy, Renappa, Dr. W. O’Brien, Dublin, Ml. O’Brien, Lisduff, John O’Brien (nephews); Mrs Lynch, Deerpark, Annie Reynolds, Delia Clancy, M.A.O’Brien, Mrs. Thomas Cleary, Mrs. P. Barry, Mrs Thomas Clancy (nieces); John Neylan, Knockroe, Kilfenora, William Neylan, T. Daly, Ml. Quin, Co. C., W. Kelly, Rosscliffe, P. Casey, and T. Casey, Killerk, John J. and James Casey, Reafa (cousins); M. Quinn, Matron Co. Clare Sanatorium, Nurse A. Quinn, Clare Castle, Mrs. E. O’Grady, Drumcore, Maura O’Keeffe (cousins); Mrs. Liddy, Patrick Liddy, Ballycar Castle, Dan Liddy, John and Mrs. McNamara, Waverley, James and Mrs. Frawley, Nano MacNamara, Ennis, John Neylan, Mohermoylan, Harry and S. Neylan, Noughaville, Joe Neylan, Kilfenora, James Neylan, Rathorpe, Martin Neylan, Tubber, Thomas and Michael Roche, Kells, James Glynn, Carron, Thos. and Mrs. Casey, Ennis.
The long list of clergy includes Rev. T. Roche, C.C. Kilmaley, (cousin).

*Mac Mahon says that the graveyard is given a makeover each November in preparation for Memorial Mass celebrated there during that month.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:30 am

The transcription by Clare Roots Society of the biographical notices in the Clare Champion, donated to clarelibrary, has enabled me to do more familytree work and I have come upon a few mentions of Kilcross graveyard:

Roughan: The notice for Mrs Roughan, Fountain, published 17th Nov. 1917, says that she was Nora, wife of Thomas, and that the burial place was Kilcross.

Considine: The notice for John Considine, Cuguquid, published 26th March 1927, gives the burial place as Kilcross – that answers my own question.
John’s sister, Mary Anne Tuohy*, according the notice of her death in the Clare Journal of 31st March, 1904, was also buried in Kilcross (their father, Patrick Considine, Fountain, was a son of Daniel Considine, Kilgobbin, who, I believe had roots in Kilnamona-Dysert).
The notice for Mrs. Considine, Brewery Lane, published 22nd July 1905, says, “ the funeral takes place today (Saturday) to the family burial ground at Kilcross. West Australian papers please copy”. Mrs. Considine was Anne Fox, from Cranagher, Clooney - she had married Michael Considine in 1878 - he was another son of Daniel, Kilgobbin. The notice for their daughter, Miss Delia Considine, Fergus Row, Ennis, published 28th Apr. 1928, gives Kilcross as the burial place. Anne and Michael had ten children (baptised in Drumcliff parish), but only aunts and uncles are mentioned in Delia’s obituary – her siblings must have emigrated, and maybe some had died. A notice for Daniel Considine, Fergus Row, Ennis, and England, published 6th May 1950, gives no relatives’ names, but I think he is Delia’s brother who was born in 1880. It says, “Daniel Considine, in England, on 13th April, 1950; eldest son of the late Mr. and Mrs Michael Considine, of Fergus Row, Ennis, Co. Clare Ireland. Survived by one sister in U.S.A. (Australian papers please copy)”.

Sheila

*Mary Anne’s husband, James Tuohy (Pawnbroker, Mill St., Ennis – 1901 census), who had died a couple of months previously, was buried in Ennistimon (The Clare Journal - 31st Dec. 1903 and 4th Jan. 1904): chief mourners: Michael Tuohy (G.P.O., Dublin), Joseph, George, and John Tuohy, brothers; Michael J. Tuohy, Dublin, nephew; John and Pat Considine, brothers-in-law; James, Michael, John, Sylvester, Jer Considine, uncles-in-law; J.J. Daly, Solr., P.T. Daly, Ennistymon; Owen Tuohy, P. Guthrie, Thomas Harvey, John Houlihan, W. J. Corbett, Jas. Kelly, Tom O’Dea, N.T., Inagh [A long list of clergy and attendance follows].

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks The M Quinn (later Gallery) matron mentioned in the first obit as a cousin was my grandmother. I assume the Ml Quinn is her brother Michael of Inch. I knew that my gt gt grandmother was Mary bridget Neylans but not who they were and I suspected the Roughens were also cousins. I knew they had Kelly cousins but not that they were of Rosscliffe.

I didn't know my grandmothers sister was also a nurse

This is a very helpful

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:01 am

Hi mgallery

I’m pleased you found some connections. I, myself, did not study the mourners very closely. An entry for Michael Neylan in the Calendar of Wills http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchiv ... _00107.pdf states, “The Will of Michael Neylan late of Killerk in the County of Clare Farmer deceased who died 12 November 1857 at Killerk aforesaid was proved at the Principal Registry by the oaths of John Neylan and James Neylan both of Toonagh in said County Farmers the Executors”. That satisfied me that there was a connection beween the Neylons in Killerk and the Neylons in Toonagh, Dysert. I reckoned that the Killerk Neylons probably came from thereabouts.

Sheila

ROJAMC42

Post by ROJAMC42 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:06 pm

HI SHEILA,

JUST RAN ACROSS UR POST ON "WILLIAM NEYLAN" RE KILCROSS GRAVEYARD. IF U R RELATED TO HIM, HIS DAUGHTER MARY "MINNIE" MARRIED MICHAEL MCNAMARA OF KILMALEY. THEIR G-SON TOM LIVES ON THE MCNAMARA FAMILY FARM IN FORTVILLE, KILMALEY. THEY R COUSINS OF MINE.

BOB MCN

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 am

No, I’m not related to William Neylon, as far as I know. I found an In Memoriam (Mortuary) card for him in a box of “stuff” and thought he might be, but, having explored a bit and found no other clue to a connection, I’ve give up on that idea.
As this thread is straying a bit from the original theme of Kilcross graveyard, I will now start a new thread, “Kilcross connections”, with a link to this thread.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:41 pm

Another burial in Kilcross was that of Timothy Roughan, Fountain, Drumcliff, who died on 1st Dec., 1937. He was the son of Thady Roughan and Bridget Keane. He was baptised in Ruan on 17th Feb. 1871. Timothy married Nora Ireton on 1st March, 1916. She was a daughter of Henry Ireton and Elizabeth Cahill, Lassana, Clooney (Quin).
Henry had married Elizabeth Cahill in Kilnaboy in 1873: Rath-Kilnaboy parish records show the marriage of Henry Ireton, son of Edward Ireton and Honor Molony, Spancilhill, to Elizabeth Cahill, daughter of Edmund Cahill and Mary Daly, Caherbullane, on 17th Feb. 1873; witnesses: Patrick Molony, Clooney, and Catherine Cahill, Caherbullane.
The 1911 census shows Nora Ireton, aged 22, living at home in Lassana. One of her brothers is Edmund, aged 32 – he was one of the four people from Co. Clare who drowned when the Lusitania sank on 7th May 1915.

The obituary for Timothy Roughan, published in the Clare Champion of Dec.11th, 1937, gives Kilcross as the family burial ground. Here is my transcription of the chief mourners: Mrs. Roughan (widow); Jerry, Timothy, John and Michael (sons); Betty and Maureen (daughters); Pat and Richard (brothers); Lizzie (sister); Mrs. O’Gorman and Mrs. O’Grady (sisters-in-law); Henry and Patrick Ireton and John O’Gorman (brothers-in-law); Eddie, Paddy, Joe and John Ireton (nephews); Rita and Frances O’Grady (nieces); Danny and Minnie Roughan, Fountain; Mrs. Nora Roughan, Jack, Paddy, Peggy and Molly Roughan, Kilcross; Paddy and Kevin Roughan, Church St., Ennis; Bernie, Ralph, Victor, Vincent, Rita and Detty Roughan, Bindon St., Ennis; Michael Kennedy, Michael Henchy and Myles Keane (cousins).

Mass cards were sent by the following: his fond wife Norah; his loving family; Bernard and Mary Roughan; Mrs. Roughan and family, Kilcross; Minnie Roughan; Dan and Mrs Roughan; the Roughan family, Bindon Street; Lizzie, Pat and Richard; John and Molly; Mrs. Burns; Paddy and Mrs. Barry and family; the McNamara family; the O’Grady family; the Keane family, Caherbanna; Nurse Markham; Patrick and Mrs. Ireton; the Henchy family; Henry and Mrs. Ireton and family.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:30 am

Hi mgallery

I am replying to you here, and also posting the same information under the topic “Kilcross Connections” http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6802

I was looking in the Killone parish register for baptisms of the children of William Neylon (of Killerk East) and found this one: 12th Feb. 1878: Susannah of William Neylan and Bridget O’Brien; sponsors: Thomas O’Brien and Susan Neylan. Then found that the marriage of William Neylon and Bridget O'Brien was registered in Ballyvaughan in 1876 ( by matching up page numbers on irishgenealogy.ie). No marriage records for Ballyvaughan have survived, so I looked at the Carron parish records (Carron is in the Ballyvaughan registration district) and found this entry for 21st Feb. 1876: William Neylon married Bridget O’Brien, Poulacarron; witnesses: John Neylon and Maria Glynn.

Do you know if your gt. gt. grandmother’s maiden name was O’Brien?

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:03 am

Another burial in Kilcross: The death and funeral of Myles Keane, Caherbanna, Kilnamona was reported in the Clare Champion, 9th Dec. 1950.
Here is my transcription:
“The death took place on Sunday morning, at his residence in Caherbanna, of Mr. Myles Keane, a popular and respected member of the farming community…. He was extremely popular with all classes, which was testified by the large funeral to the Parish Church in Kilnamona on Monday evening, and again to the family burial ground in Killcross on Tuesday, following Mass. Deceased is survived by his widow, one son, a sister, three daughters and other relatives to mourn his loss. Very Rev. M. Baker, P.P., and Rev. Fr. Hayes, C.C., officiated at the graveside where the chief mourners were - Mrs. B. Keane (widow); Patk Keane (son); Mrs. Leahy, Mrs. Neylon and Mrs. Cullinan (daughters); Mrs. McKee (sister); Joe Leahy, Ml. Neylan and Joe Cullinan (sons-in-law); Mrs. P. Keane (daughter-in-law); Patrick Casey (brother-in-law); Mrs. Clancy (niece)”.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:42 am

Another burial in Kilcross: The death and funeral of Brian McMahon, Fountain, Ennis, was reported in The Clare Champion, 2nd Jan. 1932. Here is my transcription:

“We regret to announce the death, which occurred on the 18th December last, of Mr. Brian McMahon, of Fountain, Ennis. Deceased, who had only attained his 32nd year, was much esteemed for his unfailing good humour and geniality, and was extremely popular among a large circle of friends. His premature death is keenly regretted, and his loss is sadly mourned, not only by his grief-stricken mother, brothers and sisters, to whom we extend our sincere sympathy, but by his numerous friends and acquaintances … The remains were conveyed to Kilcross graveyard after Mass, and were accompanied by a very large and representative cortege. A large number of Mass Cards and floral tributes, evidence of the esteem in which the deceased was held, were laid on the coffin. Rev. Father Cahill, assisted by Rev. Father Meade, Rev. Father Chrysostom and Rev. Father Madden, officiated at the graveside.
The chief mourners were Mrs. McMahon, Fountain (mother); Patrick, John and Nicholas (Fountain), and James (America), brothers; Mrs. L. Murphy and Miss Margt. McMahon, America (sisters); the Misses Mary, Patsy, and Anna McMahon, Fountain (nieces)….”

The 1911 census shows a Brian McMahon, who fits with this Brian. He is aged 12, living in Drumcaran More (Ennis Rural), with his parents, Michael aged 66 and Mary aged 50, and six siblings, including Patrick, James and Nicholas.

The 1901 census shows this family living in Drumcarron More, but Brian is given as “Bernard” - often used for the name Brian.
In the registration of his birth (8th Feb. 1899) he is called Bryan; his mother’s maiden name is Mary Grady.

The censuses show another family of McMahons living in Drumcarron More, who may be related to Brian’s family.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:29 am

The Tithe Applotment Books show a Bryan Mcmahan in Carhue, Dysert (along with Michl Mackeen, Jas Kenedy, John Custy and Michl Lyons). Carhue was later subsumed into the townland of Kilcurrish. Griffith’s Valuation does not show McMahons living in Kilcurrish, but shows a Bryan McMahon living in Drumcaran More in Drumcliff parish. It looks like the McMahons moved from Carhue to Drumcarran More.

It seems that Kilcross was not the burial place of the Lyons family. The notice of the death of Mr. Michael Lyons, Kilcross, Fountain, in the Clare Champion of 12th May 1934, gives his date of death as the Ist and his burial place as Templemaley. And the inscriptions for Templemaley (donated by Mary Kearns and Edel Greene) shows: In loving memory of Michael Lyons, Kilcross, who died 11th Dec. 1910. Erected by his widow Margaret and their son Michael. Mary K. Lyons died July 1928. Michael Lyons died May 1934. Peter Lyons died 6 Sept. 1996. R.I.P.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:14 am

Another Kilcross burial:

The death of Mrs. [Norah] Patrick Forde, Coogacuid, Kilnamona, on 30th Nov. 1921, aged only 39, was reported in the Clare Champion of 10th Dec. 1921. There is a long tribute to her, but I’ve transcribed the last two paragraphs only: “On Thursday the remains were removed to the Cathedral, Ennis, and on Friday the funeral, which was very large and representative, took place to the family burial ground at Kilcross. Rev. P. Marrinan, P.P., Kilnamona, recited the prayers at the graveside.
Chief mourners – Patrick Forde (husband); Jack, Miko, Eamonn (sons); Mary (daughter); Pat Lyons (brother); Mrs. Lyons (sister-in-law); John Hehir, Connolly (uncle); John, Tom, and Pat Lyons, Ballygriffey, Michael Lyons, Fountain, Tom Lyons, Ennis, Martin Hehir, Ennis (cousins).
The funeral arrangements were admirably carried out by Mr. John Kennedy, Parnell Street.”

Nora is aged 20 in the 1901 census and living at home in Licknaun, (Templemaley DED). There are four Lyons households in that townland, so care needs to be taken to find the right family; plus Licknaun in the parish of Templemaley is not to be confused with Leckaun, in the parish of Kilnamona, where there was another Lyons family.

The record of the marriage of Nora Lyons to Patrick Forde, on 6th Feb. 1907, shows that she was from Licknane and that her father was Michael Lyons; witnesses: John W. Considine, Bridget Lyons.
Patrick Forde’s father was John Forde and his mother was Ellen Considine, from Spancilhill, a sister of the Michael Considine who wrote the song about Spancilhill.

Sheila