Clancy of Miltown Malbay

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

murf

Clancy of Miltown Malbay

Post by murf » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:03 am

Those interested in the Miltown Malbay area and/or the Clancy family, or indeed anyone who enjoys a good read should refer to the following article which appeared in the Sydney Freeman's Journal of 25 January 1896:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article ... rchLimits=

Kevin J. O'Brien

Re: Clancy of Miltown Malbay

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:49 am

Thanks. There is a lot on that site about County Clare.

Slan,
Kevin J O'Brien

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:32 pm

murf wrote:Those interested in the Miltown Malbay area and/or the Clancy family, or indeed anyone who enjoys a good read should refer to the following article which appeared in the Sydney Freeman's Journal of 25 January 1896:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article ... rchLimits=
Thanks, Murf, for the lead to this rich trove of Clare local history. Most interesting.

The Search facility shows the limits of searching in a database of scanned old newspapers. The optical character recognition has problems with these old fonts so, for example, a search for items on Ruan turns up anything Russian and a search for Tubber throws up a substantial number of references to rubber sources, rubber tire production, disposal of waste rubber, etc. etc.

So I left the Search mode by searching for "County Clare" and browsing through the resulting long list of results. In my experience browsing is much more fun than searching. You stumble across fascinating news clippings that you weren't looking for, a bit like panning for gold in a sense.

Thanks again.

Paddy

P.S. You might like to flag this dataset in a fresh posting. It's so useful that it deserves a Subject line of its own.

murf

Post by murf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:40 am

Paddy
I have on several previous occasions signposted the Trove site, eg
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=5053
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=4882
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6383
In the first of these I refer to the shortcomings of the transcription process, but with a little bit of tweaking of the search term and loads of dogged persistence, one can squeeze that bit extra out of a search.
I think perhaps that being Australian, I wrongly assumed that everyone visited this site on an almost daily basis, as I do.
I shall do as you suggest, and polish up the trumpet.
Murf

Teresa

Post by Teresa » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:10 pm

Murf, thank you for the interesting article on Fr Dan Clancy, I grew up hearing of him. His brother Andrew married Ellen Honan my great grandaunt. I was chuffed to get a little glimpse of what she was like. I wonder where in Miltown the hotel was. I know where Clancy's pub is I wonder was that the hotel. More questions than answers at the present.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:52 pm

Why dont you ask the current Andrew or Gerard Clancy (of the pub)? Andrew is his brother. Their father was Tom. Just drop them a line
rgds

Margaret

Chaplain_Clancy

Post by Chaplain_Clancy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:25 pm

My name is Steven Clancy, currently living in Australia. I know that the pub was originally owned by Tom's father Daniel Andrew. He was my Great Grandfather. His son Jeremiah, my Grandfather was Tom's older brother. Grandad left home when he was very young and married an English woman never looking back. I have always wondered about this family I never knew. If you have any other information about Tom, Andrew and Gerard, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi all

Just found this

Clare Champion 17 August 1907 Death of Mrs Andrew Clancy, Miltown Malbay

Presumably née Ellen Honan, who according to the article which started this thread, was the aunt of O'Dwyer-Aglauna. does anyone know anything about this O'Dwyer?

Thanks

Lucille

murf

Post by murf » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:36 pm

Lucille

John O'Dwyer-Aglauna was a regular correspondent to the Freeman's Journal during the 1890s, based at Cobar, a town in the remote central NSW.
I don't really know anything about his heritage, but if you are prepared to wade thru his numerous articles in Trove, you may perhaps find some info in that regard.
Good luck
Murf

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:20 am

Thanks for that clue Murf. just the thing for a wet Irish week!

Lucille

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:37 am

I've read most of those articles. this article says the most about his family. He says he is from Miltown and he is clearly not an Annagh O'Dwyer as he mentions Judge Casey but not as a cousin.

Maybe more have come online but when I looked there was not more there. I was interested in how he was related to the National bank Kellys as that might of indicated a connection to my own family but that isn't explained and to be honest they had a lot of cousins especially when the General was well known. Many people were proud of the relationship

Margaret

Sandrakelleher

Post by Sandrakelleher » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:23 am

I have reason to believe that Rev Father Daniel Clancy was in some way related to Catherine Clancy wife of James Doherty/O' Doherty of Ballinalacken,lisdoonvarna

Would anyone have any clues