Clare Journal & Ennis Advertiser indexed on BNA

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Paddy Casey

Clare Journal & Ennis Advertiser indexed on BNA

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:21 am

The Clare Journal & Ennis Advertiser (1848-1850) is indexed in the British Newspapers archive at http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ and contains terabytes of info on the County comings and goings of that time including zillions of names, places, events, court cases, etc. etc.

Searching is a bit difficult because the optical character recognition of these old newspapers is sometimes a challenge and some of the text comes through a bit garbled. But apart from these minor defects in its mouth this gift horse is more than acceptable.

Definitely worth wallowing in.

Paddy C
Last edited by Paddy Casey on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

mgallery

Re: Clare Journal & Ennis Advertiser indexed on BNA

Post by mgallery » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:58 pm

this looks like a fab resource !!

Margaret

murf

Post by murf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:18 pm

Paddy
Thanks for drawing attention to that. I did a quick free index search and made the discovery that my ancestor Edmond Murphy who served on the Killadysert Board of Guardians during the 1860's had also (unbeknowns to me) been on the Ennis Board in the late 1840's, prior to the formation of the Killadysert Union.
Looks like I'll be doing some rummaging thru the pages of the Clare Journal prior to 1850............

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:38 am

It may be worth noting that the Limerick papers also have a lot of Clare info and notices it would be worth checking them as well. There are I think two indexed on the site

murf

Post by murf » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:25 am

Paddy Casey started this thread with
The Clare Journal & Ennis Advertiser (1848-1850) is indexed in the British Newspapers archive at http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
The period of the Clare Journal on this site has been extended to 1871 - getting better all the time!

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:21 am

murf wrote: The period of the Clare Journal on this site has been extended to 1871 - getting better all the time!
Thanks for this timely heads-up, Murf. Particularly timely because I got a mail this morning from info@britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk saying "Get a month's full access to the British Newspaper Archive for just £1. Use the code HAPPYNY16 before January 4".

Paddy C.

murf

Post by murf » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:22 am

That's a nice happy new year Paddy.
For anyone who turns up a tantalising morsel and is reluctant to take out a month's subscription for the sake of what might only be a few extra words, it is possible to squeeze that little bit extra from the index.

I did a search for "Edmond Murphy" and one of the hits returned the following for Monday 06 August 1855:
... Limerick, to Fanny, daughter of the late John Lavallin Puxley, Esq., of Dunboy Castle, co Cork. At Knock boy Chapel, Mr. Edmond Murphy, jun, to Susanna, second ...
Naturally I wanted to see the rest of the last sentence. I already knew that Susanna's maiden name was Breen, so I did another search for Susanna Breen and got this:
... John Lavallin Puxley, Esq., of Dunboy Castle, co Cork. At Knock boy Chapel, Mr. Edmond Murphy, jun, to Susanna, second daughter of Mr. John ...
I still wasn't quite there so I did a search for John Breen and got:
... Susanna, second daughter of Mr. John Breene, of Lisdoff. In Dublin, James Gallagher, Esq, of Johnstown, to Miss Kate Flynn, Castle ...
So now I had the complete entry:

At Knockboy chapel, Mr. Edmond Murphy, jun, to Susanna, second daughter of Mr. John Breene, of Lisdoff.

For me the new information was that Susan's father was John Breene of Lisdoff (Lisduff?), and that she was his second daughter.

Thus with a little bit of trickery one can get that extra info

margaretoheir

Post by margaretoheir » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:49 am

I am looking for Edmund/Edward Murphy born County Clare about 1845, came to New South Wales, married Ellen Monaghan in 1874 NSW, died NSW 1933, parents Michael Murphy & Jane (could be Jane Hehir-I am waiting on the death certificate to confirm this). He is supposed to be related to brothersJohn Hehir (1835-1919 NSW) & Patrick Hehir (1835-1909 NSW). Ed Murphy & John Hehir are believed to have travelled together to NSW but I have not been able to locate an entry for them.
Attachments
Murphy Edmund_John O'Heir 1835-1919.jpg
Edmund Murphy & John Hehir
Murphy Edmund_John O'Heir 1835-1919.jpg (122.71 KiB) Viewed 18344 times