Patrick Madigan, County Clare, Ireland

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Kevin J. O'Brien

Patrick Madigan, County Clare, Ireland

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Sun May 31, 2015 2:21 pm

Looking for help finding parents of Patrick Madigan 1873-1937 of County Clare.

Patrick Madigan married Margaret Gorman of Shanaway West in 1895 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York. I recently received his death record showing his parents names of Timothy & Margaret Madigan of Ireland.

I assumed that Patrick Madigan was from the Kilfarboy (Miltown Malbay) or Kilmurry-Ibrickane (Mullagh) but I could not find a baptism record for him in the parish records. I was surprised because almost every cousin, sibling or friend of my grandfather that married in Buffalo, New York, married to someone from the parish back home in Ireland.

I still believe Patrick will be found in a neighboring parish of his wife!

Slan,
Tracer O'Brien
Attachments
Death Cert Pat Madigan 1937.jpg
Death Cert Pat Madigan 1937.jpg (875.06 KiB) Viewed 20975 times

mgallery

Re: Patrick Madigan, County Clare, Ireland

Post by mgallery » Sun May 31, 2015 4:12 pm

If you look in the tithe indexes on Clare library website there are Madigans in Kilmurry ibrickane. In Griffiths I see no Madigans in Kilmurry ibrickane but loads in kilrush. I am not convinced for a marriage in America that they had to come from neighbouring parishes. It is probable that they would also have known Clare immigrants from other West Clare parishes.
However my own cousins married other Irish Catholics but from other places. C. d. Kenny who I mentioned in another post initially married a Doyle who had been in America for a few generations but had been from Wexford and secondly a Fant (originally from Limerick)

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun May 31, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi Kevin,

One thing to consider is that when immigrating to America, the journey across the Atlantic often made an Irishman a few years younger. So if Patrick Madigan stated that he was born in 1873 and you are unable to find any baptism records, you should have a look up to at least 5 years earlier.

Here is your Patrick Madigan in the USA WWI registration documents, which state that he was born on March 14, 1873 - the same year as his death record that you posted. He is living in Buffalo working for Standard Oil as a boilermaker and his wife is Margaret.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KXTX-XFB

In FamilySearch I did a search for birth records for all Madigans born between 1853 and 1883 with a father named Timothy Madigan and mother named Margaret:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPB9-KMQ

Patrick Madigan was born in Kilrush on March 14, 1871.

He has the following siblings:

Denis Madigan born 20 February 1872
Margaret Madigan born 3 September 1873
Mary Madigan born 15 April 1875
Jane Madigan born 31 March 1877

On the census records, Patrick Madigan states consistently that he arrived in America in 1890. Perhaps you could find him in the New York State census of 1892? Also, have you found his New York immigration records yet? Perhaps he immigrated to New York with his brother and three sisters or else you can find them in the 1901 Irish census.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun May 31, 2015 10:33 pm

Since posting last message, did a search of the 1901 Irish census for Dennis Madigan with no luck, but was successful searching for Jane Madigan and found her living with her parents in Kilrush:

Timothy (age 60) and Margaret Madigan (age 50) are living in Clooneylissane in Kilrush with 4 of their children: "Danis" (age 26), Jane (age 33 *), Michael (age 33), and Andrew (age 11 **).

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... e/1081665/

* the census document is not so clear, and I believe the correct age for Jane should be only 23, so born about 1877. Michael age 33 is also not very clear and most likely younger

** Andrew's age of 11 could easily be age 18 as not very clear. If so, this is likely his birth record in Kilrush:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FBWT-CZL

Kevin J. O'Brien

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:17 am

Jimbo,

Thanks for your help. It looks like you identified Patrick Madigan's family.

Slan,
Kevin

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:45 pm

Hi Kevin

The inscriptions for the Killimer [Burrane (Old)] graveyard donated to clarelibrary by the Kilrush Youth Centre/Senan Scanlan, include a Madigan-Clohessy headstone (no. 88):
" Erected by Timothy Madigan, Clooneylissaun in memory of his beloved father Patrick Madigan who died March 22nd 1852 aged 54 years and also his beloved mother Margaret Madigan died Dec 27th 1867 aged 63 years R.I.P.
In loving memory of Denis Madigan, Moneen, Killimer died March 19th 1951 Erected by the Clohessy family R.I.P."

This might be the same Madigans.

Sheila

Kevin J. O'Brien

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Sheila,
Wonderful. I will visit the grave next month on my holiday to Mullagh, Co. Clare.
Thanks a million!
Slan,
Tracer O'Brien

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Clooneylissane is spelled "Clooneylissaun" in the 1911 census. Tim is 74 and Margaret is 72. Two of their children are living with them - Denis, now head of household, and Jane. The form shows that Tim and Margaret have been married 41 years, and have had seven children of whom only two are living. This would seem to rule them out as the parents of Patrick who was still living in Buffalo, but it has become clear to me in the course of my own searching that some people misunderstood this question and took it to mean children living in the house.

Sheila

A niece, Mary Greene (mistranscribed as "Grane") is living with the Madigans.

Caallan

Post by Caallan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:38 am

Hi Kevin,
There is a U.S. immigration record that probably ties all these threads together for you.
On 22 June 1910, Andrew Madigan, aged 22, arrived at New York on the ship Carmania.
The ship's manifest lists his next of kin as his father, Tim Madigan of Moneen.
The manifest gives his intended address in the U.S as the home of his brother Pat Madigan at 57 Florida Street, Buffalo, N.Y.
Like Clooneylissane, Moneen is in the parish of Killimer near Kilrush. I believe it was once a separate townland within the parish but no longer is. Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of the district will be able to confirm for you that the area known as Moneen is within the modern townland of Clooneylissane.
Regards
Cathy

Kevin J. O'Brien

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:22 pm

Cathy,

Wonderful! I now have my Madigan's confirmed!

Thank you,

Slan,
Kevin J O'Brien