Searching for Frawley and Slattery

Talk to us about these forums
G Dixon

Searching for Frawley and Slattery

Post by G Dixon » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:17 pm

Hello . . . . .

In tracing my family, I find that my gr grandfather (my mother's father's father) was Martin Frawley, born about 1850 in Clare and his father was Terrence Frawley, born about 1811. From what I can confirm, Terrence was married to Margaret Kelly and they had at least 3 children - Martin (my gr grandfather), Peter (born 24 May 1864) and Mary (born 9 September 1867). Martin, Peter and Mary all emigrated to the USA in the late 1800s. Although I can not confirm, there is strong evidence that there was another son, John, born about 1866 but there is no evidence that he left Ireland.

The only Terrence Frawley I can find in Clare had property in Knockpatrick but I can not find any more information on him. The 1901 Ireland Census shows a John Frawley in Knockpatrick, wife's name is Hanora, children are Margaret, Teresa, Bridget, Patrick and Terence. I do not find any evidence that John and his family moved to the USA.

The records for the Moughna Cemetery show a head stone with the following inscriptions: "Erected by Margaret Frawley, in memory of her husband, Terence who died, 22nd Feb. 1891 aged 80 years." The head stone also says "In loving memory of, John Frawley, Knockpatrick, Lahinch, died, 3rd June 1973, his parents, John and Hanora, his brother Terence, his grand parents, Terence and Margaret Frawley, Patrick, died, Feb. 22nd 1990 aged 90. Erected by, Margaret Frawley and Family."

I have also found evidence that my mother's mother's father, Martin Slattery, was also from Clare. In his obituary (Lowell, Massachusetts, USA - 25 may 1931) it states that he was born in Clarecastle and moved to the USA in the early 1880s. Martin Slattery's father's name was John and his mother's name was Mary. Martin may have had two brothers, John and Thomas, But I don't have any information on them.

I am taking my mother (Theresa Frawley) to Ireland in April of this year (2015) so she can see where her family was from. We will be staying in Ennis for several days and it would be a dream come true for her if I could have her meet any relatives. If you can provide any information that may help me in my search, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.