Irish inscription on Burke grave in Killernan

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

pwaldron

Irish inscription on Burke grave in Killernan

Post by pwaldron » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 pm

I am struggling to find some of the people named in this transcription at
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ptions.htm
Erected by Mary Burke, Dunsallagh in memory of her beloved husband Thomas Burke who died March 28th 1905 aged 76 years also Bridget Pilkington nee Burke who died April 16th 1894 aged 34 years May they rest in peace Amen Se Sean O hAiein, Dunsoilleach do tog an leac seo i ndil cuimnedh an a mnaoi Maignead deag Ab 12th de mi na Nollaig 1911 i n-aois a bliana agus tri ficid Go ndeanad Dia trocaire ar a anam
I can find Thomas and Mary in the 1901 census and Mary in 1911, but I cannot find Mary's death, nor can I find any census return or marriage or death matching any translation that I can come up with for the Irish part of the inscription.

Can anyone help?

miriam scahill

Re: Irish inscription on Burke grave in Killernan

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi Paddy - I see Dunsallagh is in DED of Annagh - in Parish of Kilmurray/Ibricken. I think it translates roughly as - erected by John Hynes in memory of Maigread (Margaret) who died Dec. 1911 aged 61 - l plus 3 x ficid - 3 x 20 - . You would need to see the inscription.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Paddy,

Your positng answered a question for me and may provide a lane for you.

Bridget Pilkington (nee Burke) mentioned in the inscription is likely the wife of John Pilkington in neighboring Aildavore, Kilmaley. John and Bridget were married prior to 1885 and had at least two children. John Thomas born on June 10, 1885 and Mary born May 13 1888. John was widowed at the time of the 1901 census. John Thomas Pilkington was residing with the Burkes in 1901 and his sister was living with the Maloney family in Ballyea South and is isentified as a neice.

John
Last edited by johnmayer on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Paddy,

My last posting shouold have reflected the 1901 census and not the 1911 census.

John

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:09 pm

That's brilliant, John!

Your book is still doing the rounds of the Clare Roots Society committee and I obviously skimmed through it too quickly and missed that one! (I would love to buy a copy, but not through lulu.com, which are selling my work for an impostor and refusing to answer my correspondence!)

John Pelkington/Pilkington m. Bridget Burke 1884 Q1 Ennistimon v.4 p.199
Bridget appears to have been born before civil registration, so I'll have to check the Kilmurry Ibrickane baptismal register for her.

John P Moloney m. Maria Burke 1892 Q2 Ennis v.4 p.111
I presume this is Mary Burke b.30 Apr 1870.

I'll get photocopies of the marriage records next time I'm in the GRO.

Hopefully there is a Burke descendant out there who can confirm my theories about the identities of Bridget and Maria's parents, Thomas Burke (d. 28 Mar 1905) and Mary Burke née Burke (alive in 1911), in which case I might have a lot of distant cousins that I didn't know about until the last few days! With any luck, Thomas and Mary may not have married until after the start of the surviving Kilmurry Ibrickane marriage register in Sep 1855, since that's the parish that I suspect Mary came from.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:23 am

Paddy,

Please contact me at dundeemayer@comcast.net. when you get a chance. I might have some additional information.

John

Kevin J. O'Brien

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:09 am

Paddy,

There are only two Pilkington families in K-I Parish Registers. William Pilkington married to Margaret Talty with 6 children 1862-1874 in Coore Townland and Patrick Pilkington married to Susan Hennessey in Kilclehaun Townland with one son, John 1843.

Dunsallagh is in the Civil Parish of K-I but the church records are in Miltown Malbay, Kilfarboy Parish. I checked the Pilkington for Kilfarboy and did not find any baptisms.

Slan,
Kevin J. O'Brien

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks for that, Kevin.

I did not know that the Catholic parish boundary and the civil parish boundary are different.
Are Doonsallagh East and West the only townlands concerned, or are there others?

You have alerted me to yet another anomaly in Irish administrative divisions!
There are eight townlands in Kilmurry Ibrickan civil parish which lie in Ennistimon Poor Law Union, with the remainder of the civil parish in Kilrush PLU:

Townland AKA Acres County Barony Civil Parish PLU Province
Carrowduff 604 Clare Ibrickan Kilmurry Ennistimon Munster
Doonsallagh East 919 Clare Ibrickan Kilmurry Ennistimon Munster
Doonsallagh West 454 Clare Ibrickan Kilmurry Ennistimon Munster
Killernan 668 Clare Ibrickan Kilmurry Ennistimon Munster
Knockanalban 939 Clare Ibrickan Kilmurry Ennistimon Munster
Knockloskeraun 780 Clare Ibrickan Kilmurry Ennistimon Munster
Shanavogh East 868 Clare Ibrickan Kilmurry Ennistimon Munster
Shanavogh West 432 Clare Ibrickan Kilmurry Ennistimon Munster

(These are all in Annagh DED, apart from Knockloskeraun, which is in Miltownmalbay DED!)

As far as I recall, there are two Catholic churches in Kilmurry Ibrickan parish, at Mullagh and Coor, both in Kilrush PLU.

Does this imply that for residents of the above eight townlands, births and deaths which took place at home appear in the civil registration indexes under Ennistimon, but marriages which took place in Coor or Mullagh appear in the civil registration indexes under Kilrush? Or are all eight of these townlands part of Miltown Malbay Catholic parish?

Are there other examples of boundary anomalies which result in families being born and dying in one PLU but marrying in an adjoining PLU?

Kevin, do you have access to the marriage registers for either of the Catholic parishes?

I presume that I will find that the 1884 Pilkington-Burke marriage above took place in Miltown Malbay.

I would expect two sisters to be married in the same church, so I am puzzled as to why the 1892 Moloney-Burke marriage took place in Ennis PLU.

The photocopies will reveal all.

John Mayer's information alerted me to further records of the Pilkington family.

In 1911, the household in Ailldavare comprised Delia Pilkington née Hehir (32), her son Patrick Joseph (6) and her brothers James (25) and Denis (21); see
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... re/355063/

Their gravestone is here:
http://foto.clarelibrary.ie/fotoweb/Gri ... iveId=5000

I have not yet been able to figure out whether Delia and Patrick Joseph are the widow and son of the John Thomas Pilkington who was born or baptised on 10 June 1885, or his stepmother and half-brother. There are conflicting signals from the BMD indexes, so I will have to order more photocopies.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:03 pm

Based on the grave inscription I believe that John Thomas Pilkington and Bridget (Delia) Hehir were married, but not in Kilmaley Parish. It is likely that you might find that marriage in K-I Parish or even Inagh Parish.

If it exists in K-I parish I'll bet Kevin O'Brien will locate it.

John

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 pm

There are three catholic churches in Kilmurry Ibrickane not two, Mullagh, Coore and Quilty (Our lady star of the sea). http://www.kibparish.ie/

A Pilkington descendant told me the other day that the Coore Pilkingtons are Kilmaley descent

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:09 pm

on another point I know you believe west clare means west of Ennis but the IRA in the war of independance would not have agreed with you. Like me they thought Inch went under East Clare and when my granduncle wanted a reference for the guards he went to the East Clare brigade for it

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:53 pm

I see on the Marriage Register for Kilmihil Parish that James Pilkington m. E. Haren in 1887; and John Pilkington m. Margaret Honan in 1867. - A more recent marriage - in 1952 P.J. Pilkington m. Florence McMahon.

lisa_mariemullins

Post by lisa_mariemullins » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:44 am

If anyone needs it, I have the marriage certificate of John Patrick Moloney (Maloney) and Maria Burke. They married on the 17th of April 1892 in the Chapel of Kilmaley. John Patrick was the son of Patt, Gortbofarna and Maria was the daughter of Thos. Aildevour. The witnesses were Martin Moloney and Norah Burke. Not related, just interested in the families living in the Ballyea DED.

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:05 pm

Thanks, Lisa - I also have it!

Kevin J. O'Brien

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:46 pm

Paddy,

I have a good picture of the stone on http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =119741185

ERECTED BY MARY BURK DUNSALLAGH IN MEMORY OF HER BELOVED HUSBAND THOMAS BURKE WHO DIED MARCH 28th 1907 AGED 76 YEARS ALSO BRIDGET PILKINGTON NEE BURKE WHO DIED APRIL 6th 1894 AGED 34 YEARS MAY THEY REST IN PEACE AMEN

KOB