Grace Williams Says it Loud by Emma Henderson - June 2011

Clare County Library's Online Bookclub for booklovers everywhere

Moderators: Clare Bookclub Mod, Clare Books Mod

Clare Bookclub Mod

Grace Williams Says it Loud by Emma Henderson - June 2011

Post by Clare Bookclub Mod » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm drawn to debut novels as they promise originality, freshness and an unusual take on the world, well to me anyway and this month's choice delivers just that. It's the first novel of Emma Henderson entitled Grace Williams Says it Loud.

A review I found on the internet says it better than I could
By Jack Bambury - See all my reviewsThis review is from: Grace Williams Says it Loud (Hardcover)
I bought this book after listening to Emma Henderson on the radio. If you want an easy and unchallenging read then this is not for you. The author dazzles you with the experiences of the profoundly disabled Grace with her family at home and then at the Briar, a lumbering institution set in post-war Britain. Her world is one of monotony punctuated with jaw-dropping abuse and neglect, yet at the same time she lives in a blighted paradise of hilarity, of companionship, of tenderness and of love. With beautifully-wrought prose and an almost Asperger's attention to period detail, Emma Henderson grips you and shakes you, like Gunter Gras in The Tin Drum and Edgar Allen Poe in Fall of the House of Usher, and she will not let you go until you have finished, drained and so full of admiration.