Silk by Alessandro Baricco - May 2011

Clare County Library's Online Bookclub for booklovers everywhere

Moderators: Clare Bookclub Mod, Clare Books Mod

Clare Bookclub Mod

Silk by Alessandro Baricco - May 2011

Post by Clare Bookclub Mod » Mon May 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Silk by Alessandro Baricco
May's book Silk by Alessandro Baricco is a book that has passed through my hands many times working as a librarian and I often thought, that book looks really good or that looks like a book I'd really love. Not only does the cover appeal to me with its delicate turquoise hues and gold lettering but the sparse text and slimness of it intrigues me. How could such a tiny book conceal "a heart-breaking love story... a stylistic tour de force, a literary gem of bewitching power". (Sunday Times). It must be so succinct and so well-crafted to contain such power. Now I'm drawn even more to this slight book and what finally clinches it for me is the summary on the back cover especially the fact that "they cannot touch; they do not even speak." That's it I have to read it! Not even the fact that it was a No.1 International Bestseller will put me off (it usually does) or Now a major motion picture! Here is what it says..

This sensual and hypnotic novel tells a story of adventure and obsession. In 1861 French silkworm merchant Herve Joncour travels to Japan, where he encounters the mysterious Hara Kei. He develops a painful longing for Kei's beautiful concubine - but they cannot touch; they do not even speak. And he cannot read the note she sends him until he has returned to his own country. But the moment he does, Joncour is enslaved.
Subtle, tender and surprising, Silk is an evocative tale of erotic possession.

Hope you like it.... if you do let me know and if you don't let me know too! :wink: