William Smith Bryan

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

wbryan2549

William Smith Bryan

Post by wbryan2549 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:00 pm

I am looking for information on William Smith Bryan and Catherine Morgan his wife. Believe he came from Munster and was born in 1590.Believe his wife was born in 1594 and he had John Bryan in 1609. I have found a Jo. Bryan age 25 coming to America in 1635 on the ship Merchant Bonaventure. We are trying this family in Virginia. Any information would be greatly appreciated
William Michael Bryan

Paddy Casey

Re: William Smith Bryan

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:00 am

What is the ".....Believe he came from Munster and was born in 1590.Believe his wife was born in 1594...." based on. Presumably you have some more facts or fragments here. They might help potential helpers.

mcreed

Post by mcreed » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:32 am

A search on Google for "William Smith Bryan" "Catherine Morgan" brings up quite a lot of references to a Clare-born William Smith Bryan married to a Catherine Morgan. http://tinyurl.com/yf345ot
Regards,
Mike

kquerna

Post by kquerna » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:54 pm

What I am trying to find out if there is more primary documentation in Ireland on William Smith Bryan? I am perplexed given the legacy of Oliver Cromwell, that instead of executing him he shipped them off to America. I feel there must be more to the story. Are there any primary sources in Clare on the Bryan family?
Thank you,
Kquerna

Notes that I have found:
William Smith BRYAN : Sir Sex: M Birth: Abt 1590-1600 in Clare, Ireland 1 2 Death: 1667 in Gloucester, VA [1632] 1 3 4 Burial: VA

Note: His followers dubbed him "Prince William of Ireland" William Smith BRYAN immigrated to America about 1660. William Smith BRYAN and wife Catherine MORGAN were the parents of eleven sons. William was a landholder in County Clare, Ireland, at the time of the British Invasion of Cromwell; and for taking the side of Ireland, William was transported in 1650 to the colonies as a "rebellious subject" along with his family.

One of his eleven sons, Francis III, returned to Ireland in 1677 and endeavored to recover his hereditary titles and the County Clare Estates. He was persecuted by the British Government had to seek refuge in Denmark.

Notes for WILLIAM SMITH BRYAN: aka "Prince William of Ireland " During the Puritan rebellion he attempted to gain the throne of Ireland, and was deported by Cromwell in 1650. A landholder in Ireland, probably Clare Co., when Cromwell invaded Ireland land in 1650; transported as a "rebellious subject" to the American colonies, with his family of eleven sons, three daughters, ten grandsons and a ship's load of goods and chattels. He settled in Gloucester Co.,Va. William was probably born in the early 1600's in County Clare, Ireland, and lived during a time of great religious and political turmoil.

When much of England's ruling class followed the Crown in the break with the Pope in Rome, the growth of Puritanism again split the nation which culminated in the English Civil War. This war in began in 1642 and ended in 1651 with the establishment of the Commonwealth by Oliver Cromwell, and the beheading of King Charles I. The war was also referred to as the "Puritan Revolution" because so many of the King's opponents belonged to the Puritan Party of the Church of England.

Thus the family of William Smith Bryan, including eleven sons and three daughters along with a shipload of chattels, landed in Gloucester County, VA, on the York River across from present day Yorktown. We presume that William and wife Catherine lived here for the remainder of their lives, and that most of their children melted into the growing Colonial society.

The exception was their oldest son, Francis III, who returned to Ireland. William Smith Bryan was the pretender to the Irish throne (he schemed to become an Irish King), he was declared "a troublesome subject" by Lord Cromwell and deported in 1650. His 21 sons and grandsons "settled Gloucester County" and is credited by an article in the Thoroughbred Record with "being among the first to bring horses to America." His eldest son attempted to return to the family estates at County Clare Ireland, but was so persecuted by the government that he was forced to seek refuge in Denmark.