Some articles from The Other Clare now online

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

pwaldron

Some articles from The Other Clare now online

Post by pwaldron » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:48 pm

I have often referred here to articles in The Other Clare; others have almost equally often lamented that the back issues of this excellent journal are not available online.

The Tables of Contents of back issues have long been available at http://www.xs4all.nl/~tbreen/Journals/Clare.html

Now, thanks to Duchas na Sionna, a number of articles relating to Shannon and its environs, including articles on Newmarket and Sixmilebridge, are available at http://www.duchasnasionna.eu/other_clare/journal.html

\pw

Sduddy

Re: Some articles from The Other Clare now online

Post by Sduddy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Thanks, Paddy, for flagging the duchasnasionna website – and thanks to the group behind the website. It is great to have access to the accounts of travels in Clare and also to some articles from old issues of The Other Clare.

I have none of the first ten issues, but this website allowed me to read two very interesting articles from Vol. 8 (1984): “A Sixmilebridge Emigrant” by Bill McInerney and “Pre-Famine Reform and Emigration on the Wyndham Estate in Clare” by Flannan P. Enright.

Another good article on Col George Wydham is the one by Matthew Lynch in Clare History and Society (edited by Matthew Lynch and Patrick Nugent). This gives an idea of the extent of the Wyndham estates in Clare, very fragmented but in acreage amounting to one-twentieth of the county - 131 townlands, in 33 parishes, in 7 baronies. These are all listed in Appendix I of the article.

But, for a genealogist, even better than these is the website flagged by Sadhbh in her posting on this Forum, in 2009 : “Petworth House Rental” (currently on page 7) - As smcarberry says, “so major and so welcome”. The “supplementary rental, of cottiers, in Irish estates” allows us to look at the names of 877 tenants (approx.) – in 70 townlands. Matthew Lynch explains why this record shows only a fraction of Wyndham tenants: he says these were paying rental directly to Wyndham rather than to a middleman. Still, even this fraction represents the ancestors of a great many of us.

And now I have been re-reading an article in The Other Clare, Vol. 12, entitled “A Rental of Lord Leconfield’s Irish Estate – 1887” by Ciaran O’Murchadha. Amazingly he says “A rental of the Irish estate for the year ending March 1887 has been in the possession of the family of Mr. Christy Murphy of Hermitage, Ennis, for many years, and he has kindly made this document available to the present writer. The rental includes the Limerick and Tipperary properties, as well as those in Clare, and runs to 47 folio pages”. What a find that was! He reproduces part of a page showing the list of tenants under the date 25th March 1887, and the name of the new landlord, Henry, Baron Leconfield. This is like a glimpse of the next episode.

At last my question: is this folio the Petworth House Archive that is on microfilm in Clare Local Studies Centre?

Sheila

sadhbh

Post by sadhbh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:51 am

Hi Sheila,
no, the Petworth House rental mentioned by Ciaran Ó Murchadha isn't held in the Local Studies Centre in Ennis. The microfilms there cover the extensive Clare and other estates of Lord Egremont. There's an excellent list of the documents contained on the films by Teresa Shoosmith on the Clare Library website at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/librar ... papers.htm.

Sadhbh

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks Sadhbh – I moved too quickly from wishful thinking to posting question - should have consulted Teresa Schoosmith’s work first.

Sheila