Library Forum

A partnership of Clare County Library and Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:22 am 

I am looking for descendants of the Griffy family of Oxmount and Shandrum. Specifically descendants and or ancestors of a Michael and Bridget (Murrihy) Griffy married in 1841. Michael is my great, great grandfather. Their marriage was recorded at the catholic church in Mullagh. The births of their children are recorded their also. However, my great grandfather's birth was not recorded but we were able to connect him through cousin records. What happened to all the Griffys that were in the area at that time. One of my ancestors was Father Francis Griffin who became the Head of the holy ghost fathers for some time. I think in the twenties maybe? We would love to find family that may be left in Ireland or elsewhere. 1841 is the farthest back in time i have been able to trace family members.Please contact me if you have any idea of where all the Griffy's who were in the area from 1841-1900 might have gone or migrated to please email me at nelsonl@iowatelecom.net. I am a 59yr old women researching my history. I live in Lake View Iowa, USA Any links might be helpful. Thanks, Lynn Griffin Nelson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:52 pm 

Lynn,

Just to get a basic idea of where you have already looked, have your searched the resources of the Clare County Library at http://www.clarelibrary.ie ?

For example, I see that in the Clare tithe records of the parish of Kilmurry-Ibrickan of 1825 there is a Michael Griffy listed in the townland of Shandrum and Kilmurry.

When one searches for Griffy/Griffey/Griffin there are numerous hits in that area. For example, there are several Griffeys listed in Shandrum in the 1901 census (see http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... Lizzie.htm ) and there are Griffeys listed in the Biographical Notices.

Paddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:09 pm 

Paddy,
Thank you for your reply. I have a lot of information about the families in this area. Mainly it is the marriage and birth records from the Mullagh Catholic Church. I was hoping someone else might be researching one of these families and be able to show information that might help to connect the relationship between families if any. The oldest couple in our ancestry would be Michael Griffy and Bridget Murrihy who were married in 1841. Nothing has been found to identify their parents or siblings as of yet. I also can recognize some of the families that come from this union but only one or two for sure. I wonder where all the Griffy's from this area went. The ones who stayed must have relocated. One of our relatives would be Father Francis Griffin who was a member and leader in the Holy Ghost Fathers. However, I have not been able to find any information about him and his family Either. Thanks for your help. Lynn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:49 am 

Lynn,

Regarding your Father Griffin, I recommend locating the record custodian
of the Holy Ghost order. I don't know anything about that particular one,
but when I wanted to know more about a Rev. James Carbery noted as
a Clare property owner in 1866 (on a deed transfer), I found out that he
was a Dominican and then contacted that order's headquarters in Dublin.
Eventually I received a fine group of photocopies of his record, including
his image. I was then able to pass that on to the current-day descendants of
his Co. Westmeath/Co. Roscommon family. That particular clergyman was assigned to Canada, where he became a bishop, and then died in Limerick. This was a very complete answer to my initial wondering about him, well worth the effort.

Sharon Carberry
USA