TAIT FAMILY FROM KILRUSH, late 1800s

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Heppsy

TAIT FAMILY FROM KILRUSH, late 1800s

Post by Heppsy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:36 am

Please any information about REV WILLIAM CORBETT TAIT, His wife ADA(nee Morrison) and his family / Children. particularly ADELAIDE REBECCA VICTORIA TAIT, born 1892 and she found her father had died in his study in the manse in KILRUSH, Co CLARE, IRELAND in 1913.
WILLIAM was a Presbyterian Minister who started his ministry in CASTLEBLAYNEY, Northern Ireland, then moved to DUBLIN and followed his father-in-law who was Rev Simpson Gabriel MORRISON, then WILLIAM moved to KILRUSH, Co Clare,where he died.

PLEASE, PLEASE if you know anything about this family please get in touch,
Thanks, and happy new year to everyone.

Heppsy :? :?:

miriam scahill

Re: TAIT FAMILY FROM KILRUSH, late 1800s

Post by miriam scahill » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:44 pm

Hello Heppsy - Yes - the Tait family lived at The Manse, Kilrush - and can be seen on Census forms of 1901 and 1911 - to see Census of 1901 - log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - and go to Genealogy - Then Census of 1901 - open by DED and go down to Kilrush Urban Ref 103 - You will see the family with their daughter. The Manse house was on Factory Lane - this lane is at back of lower Moore St. = starting after the Firestation on Stewart St. and ending near Church of Ireland at the Turret Lodge entrance to the wood/walled gardens. The Manse was at this end.
The Census of 1911 can also be found on http://www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy. I see there were several WillaimTaits in Ireland then.
The Manse house is now a ruin but I believe another family lived in it after the Taits.
Perhaps the website of the Mormons - Church of Latter day Saints - pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch - might show some info on Adelaide - re marriage.
Miriam.

Heppsy

Post by Heppsy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:02 pm

Hello Miriam,

Thank you very much for your very helpful email. I will follow up on the websites you have sent me.

Thanks again,

Heppsy

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:32 pm

There was a query about Rev. Tait a few years ago over at http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1036945068

I have information on the descendants of his predecessor in Kilrush, Rev. Williams Sorsby, but unfortunately I cannot help on Rev. Tait.

\pw

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:27 am

I just spotted a mention of Rev. Tait while browsing through `Clare: History and Society', edited by Matthew Lynch and Patrick Nugent (Dublin: Geography Publications, 2008, ISBN 978-0-906602-393). Chapter 8 on pp.175-198 by David J. Butler is `Reaching "The Unawakened Multitude": Christian Evangelical Progress in County Clare.'

Here are some extracts:

p.182: At Kilrush, the minister of Ennis, in response to a request in 1860 from residents of the town to establish a congregation, initiated a Presbyterian witness. The first minister, the Revd William Sorsby [was] actively engaged in the ... holding of regular services not only in Kilrush, but also in the mission stations of Kilkee and Miltown Malbay. [note 40] Sorsby had been ordained a Congregational minister in Sheffield, but came to Ireland as a Methodist preacher. He was received into the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland and installed in Kilrush on 19 December 1860. See Cromie, Controsversy among Southern Presbyterians, pp.165-6.

p.183: ... on the 7 June 1913, the Revd W. Tait BA LLD departed this life and his congragation has been united with Ennis ...

p.184: The opening service of Crook Memorial Church [Methodist Church in Kilkee] took place on Sunday 30 June 1901 ... the mainly clerical attendance ...[note 52] included the Revd Dr Tate [sic] of Kilrush, Presbyterian.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Hello again . The Methodist Church in Kilkee is still in use - mostly during the summer. It is located at Geraldine Place - just off Marine Parade - on the road to the 'West End' or pollock holes.
In Kilrush the ESB used a building on Burton St. which had been a Church in early 1800's - it was demolished to make way for the carpark.
I also see on the Census of 1911 that Rebecca Tait resided at house No. 19.2 - College and Boarding School - at Crawford Square, Londonderry Urban(1) - Rebecca is shown as Presbeterian, a pupil, aged 18, born in Dublin.
I have tried to find some of my own relations in Belfast - but I now realise that the records of N.I. are not on the Church of Latter Day Saints site - pilot.familysearch.org/record search.
Perhaps there is a way to check records in the 6 counties to see what became of Rebecca.
Miriam.

Heppsy

Post by Heppsy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:07 pm

Hello,
(Sorry I Don't know your name or names) But thank you so much for your emails recieved today 18th Jan.
I find them very interesting.
I would love to know more about the daughter and if Rev William and Mrs Ada Tait had more children ?
Would you be able to give me the address or name of the School, Rebecca went to in Belfast so I could see if I could follow up on any information about her, and whether she got married and had any children, who I might be able to trace.

It is so good of you to keep me up-to-date with this information.

I am also wondering if Rev William Tait wrote any religious books. ( my husband is a retired Methodist minister in Worthing,West Sussex, UK) so we would be interested in anything William wrote? I haven't been able so far to find anything on the internet.

Ada Tait, Williams wife was my Great Aunt, her father was my Great Great Grandfather. He was Rev Simpson Gabriel Morrison, who began his ministry as a Wesleyan Minister in Armagh about 1835 or 1836 but then moved to the Presbyterian Plunkett Street, Church Dublin, in 1845 and had a very successful ministry there. He and his wife, Rebecca (nee Beggs) must have had a very large family as they were known to have 80 grandchildren. Glad I didn't have to remember all their birthdays.

Please email me any more information you might find especially about their daughter.

Thank you and regards.

Heather Graham,

disce50@clara.co.uk

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:59 am

Heather

I just came across your new Ireland Reaching Out query.

The 1911 census of Kilrush implies that A R V Tait was an only surviving child.

I think she may be the Rebecca Tait on a boarding school return in Derry in 1911. Age and religious denomination and birthplace all match the 1901 census of Kilrush.

What became of her after her father's death remains a puzzle, but may be solved when GRONI goes on line shortly. She does not appear to have married or died in the 26 counties up to 1958.

Paddy