Finucane's of Tarmon, Knock, county clare.

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

rscully140

Post by rscully140 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:58 pm

Looking for information on the ancestors & descendants of the James Finucane family who appeared in the 1901 and 1911 census for Tarmon, Knock, Co. Clare. James was the son of Thomas Finucane & Bridget (?). The 1901 census recorded James, head of family, 38 yrs., National Teacher, his wife Minnie, 30 yrs., their sons Thomas, 6 yrs., william, 4yrs., John, 3 yrs., James mother, Bridget, 72 yrs., his sister Mary, 31 yrs., and sister-in-law Bridget Reidy, 29 yrs. Two daughters, Mary 7 yrs. and Kathleen 1 1/2 yrs. were living with their grandmother Maria Reidy, 53 yrs., in Tullycreen Lower. The 1911 census for Tarmon, Knock recorded James, 48 yrs, his wife Mary, 42 yrs., and their children: Mary, 17 yrs., Thomas, 16 yrs., William, 14 yrs., Nora, 9 yrs., James, 6 yrs., Francis, 3 yrs., Henry, 1 yr. James was born September 27, 1904 and became a priest in the Holy Cross Order. Thomas lived in New York City. Any information on ancestors, decendents, property ownership, are descendants still in the area?

Bob Scully
Last edited by rscully140 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:32 am

rscully140 wrote:Looking for information on the ancestors & descendants of the James Finucane family..........are descendants still in the area?

Bob Scully
Bob,

One way to look for surviving members of the family is to search the Irish phone book at http://www.eircomphonebook.ie. For example, there are 19 Finucanes in Clare in the Residential list and 3 in the Business list. Searching the Eircom phone book is slightly complicated by the fact that the places listed there might not correspond exactly to the address you are looking for. Some are listed under townland names, some under local names, and some people who live in Clare are listed under Galway because their phone is connected to a Galway exchange. Despite all this, phone book searches are often successful in one way or another (see http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... =phone#p31 ).

Paddy

kayokid

Re: Finucane's of Tarmon, Knock, county clare.

Post by kayokid » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:33 pm

I'm also trying to find information on the Finucane family in Tarmon. My great-grandfather John O'Leary was a boarder at their home, as shown in the 1901 census. I recently found out that he had married one of the Finucane daughters and she died the year after the marriage, some time in the late 1890s. He stayed with the Finucanes and eventually married his next-door neighbor, Fanny McDonnell (also in that census record), in 1906. Fanny's father, Michael McDonnell's first wife was Mary Reidy, who died in 1875, a year after they were married. There is a strong connection between the Reidys and the Finucanes. James Finucane's wife was Minnie (Mary) Reidy. I have an aunt in Tipperary who remembers the Finucane family. I will try to contact her and see what she knows.

Kieran O'Leary

rscully140

Post by rscully140 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:33 am

kayokid,

thanks for your reply, your great-grandfather must of married one of james finucane's sisters. his sister mary finucane, age 26 , resided in the same household in the 1901 census. james finucane's mother, bridget, also lived in the household, would like to know her maiden name, and also his first name. keep in touch with any updates.

Bob

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:13 pm

Hello Bob & Kieran - the local national school is Knockerra N.S., and the postal address is Knockerra, Cooraclare, Kilrush, Co. Clare - tel. 065 9052375 - it is situated half a mile off the main Ennis/Kilrush road - 3 miles from Kilrush.
There is another school - Burrane N.S. - also in parish.
The Parish Priest also lives at Knockerra - but the name of the parish is KILLIMER (near the ferry to Tarbert there is another church in the parish - Patron saint is St. Imy - a sister to St. Senan.)
Some years ago a project was done in each parish by students who listed all the bapts. of children in family order - up to 1900 - so it should be poss. to get a copy - which will show the names of the parents.
I am sure the Principal of Knockerra School would know some details - from School Rolls - and local info. Perhaps just after school - say 14.30 - would be a good time to ring. You could ask for tel. no. (and name) of Parish Priest.
I know there is a 94 year old man living in Tarmon - Michael Howard - who has a great memory.
God Bless, Mirlam.

rscully140

Post by rscully140 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:08 am

Miriam,
Thanks for your suggestions on locating the Finucane family. I will follow-up in hopes of finding the Finucane's. James Finucane was listed as a National Teacher in the 1901 & 1911 census, and he died about 1940 in Tarmon. Don't know where he was buried, if there was an obituary or death certificate. I will keep you posted as I continue the search.

Thanks for your help!
Bob

kayokid

Post by kayokid » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks for the information, Miriam. I am still trying to find the marriage record of John Patrick O'Leary and one of the Finucane sisters and had no success at the GRO in Dublin when I was there in September. I might have overlooked something and will need to try again or write to the church.

Bob, I did a search of the Irish Independent obituaries and found James's death notice, which unfortunately doesn't list the burial location but has the name of the church and the death date so you can order the death record from the GRO.

FINUCANE (Co. Clare) -- April 4, 1940, at his residence, Tarmon, Knock, Co. Clare. James Finuncane, ex-N.T., father of Rev. J. Finucane, C.S.Sp. Solemn Requiem mass in Knockerra Church to-day (Saturday) at 11 o'clock (O.T.) Funeral at 1 o'clock (O.T.).

Hope that helps.

Kieran

rscully140

Post by rscully140 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:03 pm

Kieran, Thanks for the info. on James Finucane.

Bob

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Hello Bob & Kieran - Looking at the Census of 1901 - it says that John O Leary was 'not married' - it does not say 'widower' - so perhaps there is a mix up in info.
I think there is a Graveyard at Knockerra Church - and there is a big one at Burrane - just up the road from Killimer/Tarbert ferry. The Colleen Bawn is buried there.
There was a creamery in the townland of Derrylough - just a bit from Tarmon - but - alas - all the creameries in West Clare closed down when taken over - first by Golden Vale and then by the Kerry Group.
Another idea - perhaps some of the records could be in Irish.
If John & Frances were married in Knockerra (Killimer Parish) - the Parish Priest will have the Church Record to confirm date - c. 1895.
Civil Records are held by H S E at Sandfield House, Ennis.
Miriam.

kayokid

Post by kayokid » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:53 am

Thanks again, Miriam, for the helpful resources. I had noticed the "not married" status also and wondered whether it was a mistake. If John married the Finucane sister after 1901 the census record would then be accurate. On John and Fanny McDonnell's 1906 marriage record John is listed as a widower, so his first marriage could well have been between 1901 and 1905, and not pre-1900 as I had thought. He was born in 1876, and I surmised that he married shortly after age 21. Only recently a family member confirmed for me that John's first wife was a Finucane. I will investigate the possibility, as Bob pointed out, that he may have married Mary Finucane. If I can find their marriage record and the wife is James Finucane's sister, her father's name will be listed on the record.

According to their marriage record John and Fanny were married in the Roman Catholic of Killimer, Kilrush. Would that now be St Senan's in Knockerra? I went to the HSE site and tried to fill in the details for the marriage record, but the earliest year available for Ireland is 1922. I will try to contact the parish priest at Knockerra.

John began managing Stokes' Creamery in Tarmon in 1903. Stokes' closed in 1913, and the family shortly thereafter moved to Castleconnell, Limerick, to run another creamery in Adare, I think. I cannot find any records of Stokes, which, as you hinted, became a casualty of the rise of the dairy co-ops.

I have O'Leary relatives in Tarmon -- the Galvins -- but unfortunately have never been in contact with them. My aunt Frances O'Leary Galvin, who died in 2005 in Tarmon, would surely have known the Finucanes. My aunt Norrie O'Leary Houlihan in Cashel personally knew the Finucanes, so I will find out through her daughter what she knows of descendants in the area.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Hello Kieran - I had a grand posting done and it just cancelled itself - so I'll be brief this time!
I did a bit of research on LDS site - pilot.familysearch.org/record search - and I see that John O Leary's first marriage was reg. in Killadysert Reg. District in Jan/Apr 1903 - so married end of 1902. Killadysert Reg. District starts at the next parish. to Tarmon - and it looks as if Finucanes came from that area before James started teaching.
Details: Film 101260 vol 4 p25 DGS 4199362 im. 0189
Then John Patrick O Leary's sec. marriage is reg. in Kilrush Reg. Dist. in Apr/June 1906.
Details: film 101261 vol 4 pg 163 DGS 4199363 im 0074. This marriage would have taken place in St. Senan's Church, Knockerra - which is PARISH OF KILLIMER.
The civil marriage records are at Sandfield House, Ennis - starting from 1864. But you can now check details at GRO.
I didn't know that there was a creamery at Derrylough over 100 yrs. ago - I thought it only started when West Clare Creameries were formed sometime in 1930's. Now all the milk from West Clare goes to Kerry.!! on the ferry.!!
I know your Galvin cousins and am sending you a private message. Small world.!!

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:18 pm

Hello Kieran and Bob - again - I forgot to put in following info on my last posting - which confirms that John O Leary married Mary Jane Finucane - her details are: FilmNo. 101260 vol. 4 pg. 225 DGS 4199362 - with different image no. - 00169.
Miriam.

kayokid

Post by kayokid » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:36 pm

Miriam, this is brilliant! I doubt I would have figured out the Killadysert connection. I was so focused on Kilrush because that's where all the other family events took place. I will order the record from the GRO and share it with Bob.

Thanks for your excellent sleuthing!

Kieran

kayokid

Post by kayokid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:51 am

Hi Bob,

The marriage record of my great-grandfather John O'Leary and Mary Jane Finucane and Mary Jane's death record arrived today. John and Mary were married 11 Feb 1903 in the Roman Catholic Chapel of Kilmurry McMahon. Her age is listed as 28. She died 4 months later, on 25 June 1903. Interestingly, her age is listed as 30, so she somehow aged faster than might be expected. :-) Cause of death was pleuro-pneumonia, 17 days, heart failure 1 day.

Mary Jane was the postmistress of Knock. Her father was Thomas Finucane, teacher.

Witnesses at John and Mary's wedding were Michael Behan and Agnes Carey. Officiating was Patrick Neylon, CC.

Hope this info helps.

Slan go foill,
Kieran

kayokid

Post by kayokid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:53 am

And Miriam, big thanks to you for pointing me in the right direction!