Griffiths Valuation

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

dundeemayer

Griffiths Valuation

Post by dundeemayer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:17 am

Does anyone know if there is a way to transfer the information on the Griffiths Valuation to the period maps? I do notice random numbers on the maps, but have not been able to confirm as to the reason they are there. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Paddy Casey

Griffith's Valuation: important explanatory text

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:51 am

dundeemayer wrote:Does anyone know if there is a way to transfer the information on the Griffiths Valuation to the period maps?
I'm not sure what you mean by "....a way to transfer the information....". Do you mean "....to correlate the information in the Griffith's Valuation tables with that in the Valuation maps" ?

The little numbers on the Valuation maps denote the plots and correspond to the numbers in the left-hand column of the Griffiths table (the column headed "No. and Letters of Reference to Map").

For those wishing to get maximum value from the Griffiths Valuation tables and the Valuation maps the article "Is There More in Griffith's Valuation Than Just Names ?" by James R. Reily, CGRS, at http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/GRIFFI ... ffiths.PDF is required reading.

Paddy

P.S. The Reilly article mentions a warning by Griffith in his very detailed instructions for surveyors. He wrote: "Whenever it shall appear that any part of the foregoing Instructions shall have been neglected,......the valuator or surveyor in such cases cannot be retained in the Valuation service." Ho, ho. No employment tribunals in those days. It was "Either do your job or Out !". Partly explains the quality of the Griffith's survey. Hmm.

dundeemayer

Re: Griffiths Valuation

Post by dundeemayer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:31 am

Paddy,

Thank you for your response. Yes I meant to ask how do I correlate the numbers in the left hand column to the actual map. You have answered my question, now I am confused as to how to apply your answer. As I look at Griffith's I believe my ancestor to have occupied lots 11 and 12 in Feighroe, Kilmaley. I also can identify the current homeplace which hasn't changed since the Griffith's. None of the homes shown on the map have a one or two digit number, but there are three digit numbers scattered all over the map. What am I missing?

I have a copy of James Reilly's paper and I agree it is a great resource. I will look through it again.

Thank you again!

John

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:51 am

dundeemayer wrote:Paddy,

Thank you for your response. Yes I meant to ask how do I correlate the numbers in the left hand column to the actual map. You have answered my question, now I am confused as to how to apply your answer. As I look at Griffith's I believe my ancestor to have occupied lots 11 and 12 in Feighroe, Kilmaley. I also can identify the current homeplace which hasn't changed since the Griffith's. None of the homes shown on the map have a one or two digit number, but there are three digit numbers scattered all over the map. What am I missing?

I have a copy of James Reilly's paper and I agree it is a great resource. I will look through it again.

Thank you again!

John
I'm not sure what numbers you are looking at, John, but in addition to the plot numbers the maps show at least three other numbers, i.e.

- a set of three numbers (505 1 39 in the case of Feighroe) which show the area of the townland in acres, roods and perches
- spot elevations
- contour lines with their elevations

The red numbers on the Valuation maps refer not to the home but to the plot of land.

Your three-figure numbers are probably those of the townland areas.

Paddy

dundeemayer

Post by dundeemayer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Paddy,

OK, with your help and my persistence I have determined that everything now makes perfectly good sense, since I have begun to look at the proper maps. I was trying to correlate the information in Griffiths to the 1842 Ordinance maps, (without red numbers). It is much easier now that I have the right map. I must be losing it!!!

Anyway thank you again and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year!!

John