Byrt/Murrihy

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

ziggy

Byrt/Murrihy

Post by ziggy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:41 am

I'm trying to find information on Thomas Byrt, born about 1853 who came to Australia about 1869, His father was Thomas Byrt.
Also trying to find information on Margaret Murrihy and Mary Murrihy. Margaret came to Australia about 1878 and Mary came about 1884, first going to South Australia. Parents I think where James Murrihy and Mary Heley.

Paddy Casey

Re: Byrt/Murrihy

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:18 am

You didn't say which - if any - of these people were thought to have come from County Clare nor did you say where you had already looked. If you think they came from Clare, what exactly was the information that led you to that conclusion ? Sharing that information with us might help us to help you locate your families.

If you search the Clare Library site at http://www.clarelibrary.ie you will find, for example, Byrts in the parish of Kilfenora at the time of the tithe applotments (ca. 1820) , a reference to Byrts in Ennistymon, and numerous references to Murrihys, e.g. in Ennistymon.

Please let us know if you find the family(-ies) you are looking for.

Paddy

ziggy

Post by ziggy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:00 pm

On all their death certificates it states County Clare. In the case of the Murrihy sisters, I have been led to believe that they came from Miltown Malbay. I can only find reference to Mary Murrihy arrivivg in South Australia. I can find no reference of Thomas Byrt and Margaret Murrihy arriving in Australia. There are quite a few different spellings of Murrihy to sift through e.g. Marhoy
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Anne

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:09 pm

ziggy wrote:On all their death certificates it states County Clare. In the case of the Murrihy sisters, I have been led to believe that they came from Miltown Malbay. I can only find reference to Mary Murrihy arrivivg in South Australia. I can find no reference of Thomas Byrt and Margaret Murrihy arriving in Australia. There are quite a few different spellings of Murrihy to sift through e.g. Marhoy
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Anne
Anne,

Go to the Clare Library site at http://www.clarelibrary.ie and fire up their search facility and type in the following exactly as it is written: "miltown malbay" murrihy and then hit Enter. You will find numerous entries relating to the Murrihy family in Miltown Malbay. It should take you a few weeks to digest them.

In particular, you will see at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/guests2002.htm that someone called Terry Murrihy in Australia has been doing a lot of research on the Murrihy name ("I have been researching and collating information on the Murrihy surname world wide for approximately 20 years. To date I have more than 1,200 different surnames and many thousands of individuals who have married into the Murrihy family.).

It looks as if there are quite a few Murrihys still living around that area. One of them may well know about your Murrihys who emigrated. So go to the Irish phone book at http://www.eircom.ie and search for Murrihys in Miltown Malbay. I found three:

Murrihy, Martin - Crosses Of Annagh Miltown Malbay - (065)7084654

Murrihy, Patk J - Spanish Point Miltown Malbay Co. Clare - (065)7084670

Murrihy, Sean - Knockbrack Miltown Malbay (065)7084035

Give them a call and ask what they know about your Murrihys.

That should keep you going for a while and, looking at the wealth of Murrihy data there, I suspect that you will have your quest stitched up in rapid order.

Paddy

ziggy

Post by ziggy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:07 am

thanks for your help