Hardgrove Hargrove's of County Clare Tulla and Sixmilebridge

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

douglasmclaughlin

Hardgrove Hargrove's of County Clare Tulla and Sixmilebridge

Post by douglasmclaughlin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:31 pm

My 5th Great Grandfather was James Hargrove born about 1794 and died 1880 , a son of George (Hardgrove) Hargrove (1764-1820) and Mary White (1765-1845).

James Married Elizabeth McInerny also from the Tulla, Sixmilebridge area.

They immigrated to Canada with the Peter Robinson Settlement in 1825.

James and Elizabeth came across to Canada on the Ship Brunswick from Cork Ireland to Quebec with their daughter Mary. It was recorded as Hargron, James, 27,  Eliza, 22, Mary, 4
They settled in Emily Twp. Victoria county. They were granted land in Downeyville about 10kms East of Lindsay Ontario.

Their son, Michael is my 2nd Great Grandfather, and I have the Hargrove Family Bible which was given to Michael and Ann McMahon on their wedding day June 26th 1856.

James' father George was a brother of John (Big John/Jack) Hardgrove who was born in 1762 in Knockacutteen, Clare, Ireland. Big John married Latitia Tarford
1764-1793 and then married Catherine Walker. Some of their descendants immigrated to Canada, Wisconsin and on to points west in USA.

Looking for details on Elizabeth McInerny (born abt 1785 and died 08 Feb 1877 in Victoria County Ontario Canada) parents from County Clare and also more information on James Hargrove Hardgrove....

Note: (Some brothers kept the "d" in this generation some lost the "d".)

Thank you kindly
Douglas McLaughlin

douglasmclaughlin

Re: Hardgrove Hargrove's of County Clare Tulla and Sixmilebridge

Post by douglasmclaughlin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:38 pm

Regarding James Hardgrove,(Hargrove) was the person mentioned as part of the 1823-24 Insurrection Act commitals of Clare men. He or his Uncle were the only James in that area that I could find
My James left Ireland in 1825 shortly after the Insurrection

smcarberry

Re: Hardgrove Hargrove's of County Clare Tulla and Sixmilebridge

Post by smcarberry » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:54 pm

Douglas, it is great to see you posting about your Hardgrove-McInerney heritage.

By way of doing my own Clare research, I have collected some material potentially useful for your goal, although my direct Clare lineages were only socially related to your ancestors, in the same RC parish of O'Callaghan's Mills, which I abbreviate as OCM Par. in my notes. You can have the benefit of McInerney history compiled from global sources by the eminently capable Luke McInerney of Australia who has written several academic-level articles on your sept, including this very readable one: "Survey of the McInerney Sept of Thomond" which I have saved as a pdf file but am unsure how to show here the link to it (without also possibly allowing access to my computer harddrive) I can provide te link privately or you can Google for it on the Internet. The era of 1650-1800 is his last section in that article, in which on p. 30 he makes these comments:
This survey intended to shed some light on the McInerney family of Thomond. While little has been written about the McInerneys in the histories of County Clare, recent research indicates that the McInerneys were an ancient family who held significant estates in the old Tradaree district of
Newmarket-on-Fergus. The original progenitor of the McInerneys was Donnchadha Mac Con Mara, reputed to have been an airchinneach at Killaloe and brother to Cú Mara Beg, the twelfth century Lord of Uí Caisin. Indeed it is from the Irish word airchinneach that the surname McInerney is derived. The McInerneys held an important position among the offshoot septs of the McNamaras, holding sway in the Tradaree lands down to the confiscations of the 1650s.
As to the Hardgrove aspect of your research goal, there is no similar Hardgrove researcher like Luke, but I saved this year 2000 posting in my notes:
Mark Rex GenForum Jul 2000
Looking for information or relatives of William Hardgrove Born 1st April 1835 in Kilkishen Ireland. Beleived to have lived on the Estate granted to Daniel Hardgrove who was a commander of a contingent at the "Battle of the Boyne" in 1690 under James Stuart. The Hardgrove family had originated from Liverpool in England.
In c1765 a member of the family "Edward Hardgrove" migrated from Liverpool with the family to take up the estate at Kilkishen Ireland.
My own interest in your ancestral families stems from my Carberry family's time in East Clare, which includes this OCM Parish baptism in which my family's Peter was a sponsor/godparent:
1 Oct 1859 (child) Bridget, daughter of Thomas Donohoe & Margaret O'Connor, residence Kilkishen sp: Peter Carberry, Margaret Walker

By DNA sharing (25cM on Chromosome 9 in a specific righthand position on chromosome browser graphics), I am linked to a current-day descendant (name withheld here for privacy) whom I have traced back to her ancestors' 1886 marriage in Chicago, Illinois (where our family's Peter Carberry died, coincidentally) of Ellen Donahoe to Thomas Webster. In doing that research, I preserved in my notes that the possible related baptism is a child baptised 26 May 1867 (OCM Par.): Mary, daughter of Thomas Donohoe & Margaret Connors, residence Kilkishen, sponsors Murphy & Donohoe. (As you likely know, in Irish records of that era, there is no issue with Connors being equivalent to O'Connor.) While my Carberry line was a late-comer to Clare, my own Carberry married into the Donnellans of East Clare, having a history fairly well laid out in Ms. 467 in the National Library in Dublin, right to the point in the early 1800s when a Donnellan on the outskirts of Kilkishen has a 2nd marriage with a woman possibly named Connors, per the NLI researcher back in about 1918, before the 1922 burning destruction of wills took place. So I am ever on the lookout for evidence that Connor/O'Connor is in my line.

For Jimbo's information, due to his McNamara interest, there is a Kilkishen link of Hardgrove to McNamara well documented: the blacksmith John McNamara, son of Patt (likely the occupier of Kilkishen quaint surviving smithy building) married 3 Feb 1866 Bridget Hardgrove of Kilkishen, father laborer Patrick. Witnesses were Thomas Fallon & Bridget Hardgrove, for the civil registration, Note the much earlier wedding 25 Feb 1838 in OCM Parish, of Patrick Hardgove to Mary Donahoe. For that earlier couple, there was (before database went obsolete) on "World Connect" formerly maintained by Rootsweb, a "Kim's Family Tree' uploaded 2019 by Joan Strawser, whicn included this Hardgrove-Donohoe family, with Mary shown as born 1802 Kilkishen, died 8 June 1871 Kilkishen, and her husband Patrick Hardrove b. 1804 Knockatureen, died 15 April 1881 Kilkishen (civil death registration has that Patrick as age 77, a shopkeeper, death witnessed by Ellen Morrissey).

The above are the parts of my notes that may move you down the road to your goals. I can provide more from my notes for the mid to late 1800s, if you indicate a need.

Sharon Carberry
USA