Question about interpreting baptism records and Electoral lists

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Canuck

Question about interpreting baptism records and Electoral lists

Post by Canuck » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:11 am

I've been rummaging through mid 19th century baptism records and 1860's electoral lists to try to unwind some of my Clune and Frost ancestors. I'm seeing another name after the head of the family that I don't know how to interpret. For example, in the 1860 electoral list for the Sixmilebridge Polling district, I see several frosts, including one who list as "Frost, Patrick (Robert), Abode; Rossmanaher". Does this mean his father was Robert or is Robert a nickname? Another example on the same page is "Frost, John (Big)" of Meelick.

Similarly, the 1829-1839 baptismal register for Sixmilebridge lists: "Januare 1838 - 1 Bridgida filia Roberti Frost Roberti et Bridgida MNamara Spons Michl et Bridgida Frost" Most of the children of Robert Frost and Bridget McNamara are listed this way, with Robert Frost Robert. Again, does this mean that Robert is the son of Robert?

smcarberry

Re: Question about interpreting baptism records and Electoral lists

Post by smcarberry » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:55 pm

My interest in Clune mainly relates to the Parish of Quin-Clooney, but I can make a few observations that may be helpful although don't consider this a definitive answer. In the area of Sixmilebridge/Feenagh in the first half of the 1800s, the Frost men were not the farming type, but rather were gentry, rubbing elbows with or serving the bigger landlords there. Some in that time period are listed as having Limerick city addresses, yet having dealings with East Clare residents. If you are just starting out in putting together the Frost families of that era, I suggest using Limerick City resources as well as East Clare.

I have caught indications that two Frost men of the late 1700s likely had large families with many sons surviving to maturity able to add to the Frosts of that location. That sets up a scenario in which customs of that era regarding inheritance would have put the handwriting on the wall, that younger sons needed to find other locations in which to secure a reliable form of income (the military, Dublin, far-off lands, etc). In my saved material, a 9 Oct 1882 obituary published in a Sydney (Australia) newspaper notes that William Frost, aged 68, was the last surviving son of Solomon Frost of Hempfield, Bunratty, and was a 1st cousin of James Frost, Ballymorris. American newspapers were requested to note his passing.

While not trying to collect every voter list possible, I have on hand the Lower Bunratty voters published in the Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser on 4 Apr 1846, which included William Frost of Derra, James Frost of Ballymorris, Patrick Frost of Dromline, George Frost of Portrim, James Frost, Derra, and "Patk Frost, Robert, Rosmanager." There is no such notation elsewhere for any other voter in that published list. With my other saved material indicating that the names Robert and Solomon belonged to men both socially prominent and prolific with their surviving sons, I am seeing that the local custom was to note a father's name in mentions of Frost sons given a common first name. That is consistent with what I heard many years ago as being a Clare custom of that general era (no source retained, nor have I needed to test that theory).

As to the RC parish books, I can account for fathers' names appearing there as a way to individuate the Frost men being noted as bridegrooms or baptized son's fathers. Fr. Cornelius Clune was the parish's longtime officiant for such occasions and would have either himself or at his direction been responsible for an entry's notation. The Limerick Chronicle of 23 June 1849, remarking upon his death that year, noted: "The venerable Father Clune, who died at Sixmile-bridge on Sunday last, baptised, married, and buried three generations of his parishioners." Fr. Clune was a reliable source of fathers' being matched to sons there, when needed due to common names. large families, etc.

Hope that is of some help with your effort.

Sharon Carberry

Canuck

Re: Question about interpreting baptism records and Electoral lists

Post by Canuck » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:25 pm

Thank you for your fast response. I'm aware that the Frost's were large families in the Clare and Limerick area. I'm having similar issues with the Clune family in and around Quin.