Michael McNamara, Curracloon Co. Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Re: Michael McNamara, Curracloon Co. Clare

Post by Sduddy » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:09 am

Hi Jimbo

Firstly, I was wrong in thinking that Waterpark was another name for Tingaree. They are two separate places, both in the townland of Fossa More – see the Tithe Applotment books for Tomgraney parish - “Waterpark house Division,” “Derrymore” and “Tengarry” are parts of the large townland of Fossamore (written sideways in the first column): http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00308.pdf
Secondly, it has become clear to me that “Curracloon” was used by people from any of the three townlands of Curracloon, Curracloonmore and Curracloonbeg, when reporting a birth, death or marriage. The Registrars accepted whatever address people gave, and did not demand the official name of the townland. The townlands of Curracloon, Curracloonmore and Curracloonbeg correspond to Curracloon, Curacloonarthur and Curraloonbutler in the Tithe applotment books (for parish of Feakle). And there is a Patk. McNamara living in Curacloonbutler, who must not be discounted: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... re/Feakle/
It is possible that Patrick is the forebear of the McNamaras living in Corracloon More at the time of Griffith’s Valuation (there were no McNamara tenants in Corracloon, or Corracloon Beg: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... feakle.htm

Jimbo, I agree with you that it appears most likely that John McNamara, the father of Michael, lived and died in Tingaree, Fossa More, Tomgraney. I think this is the record of his death: 2 Nov 1882, Tingaree: Death of John Macnamara, married, aged 74, Farmer; informant: Daniel McNamara, Tingaree: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 831921.pdf. Although no relationship is given, I think Daniel, who reported the death, is John’s son. It seems that Daniel inherited the farm in Tingaree, which meant that Michael’s best hope was to move away and “marry in” to another farm. I agree with you that Michael McNamara’s roots in Curracloon were fairly short between his marriage in 1889 and his death in 1905. The 1901 census describes Michael MacNamara as a farmer, and the house and building form shows that he had his own house. I don’t know how he would have come to have a farm and a house: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/r ... 000486232/ - but that is of little importance – it may be that a farm and house had become vacant and that Michael was accepted as the new tenant.

Like you, I thought that John (Daniel) in Griffith’s Valuation was very likely the father of Michael who married Mary Rodgers, and that “(Daniel)” was his grandfather, but your mention of the marriage of a John Mack in 1873, whose father was also called John brings that into doubt: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 208451.pdf
However, we know that there were other McNamaras in Waterpark, Fossa More, so I will check to see if John Mack belongs to those McNamaras rather than the McNamaras in Tingaree. Jimbo, in your account of the Fossa More McNamaras, you say “John Mack”, of Tingaree, married Winifred Mingoue but the address is Fossa More, not Tingaree. The address for Winifred McNamara, who died in Jan. 1901, is also Fossamore, not Tingaree: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 618391.pdf. Again I will do some checking, this time to see if there was another Daniel McNamara who might be described as a Step-son. I have a feeling that “our” McNamaras always gave their address as Tingaree, not as Fossa More (even though Tingaree was part of Fossa More). For that reason (more a feeling that a reason!), I wonder if Elizabeth McNamara of Fossamore who died in 1903 is the same Lizzie McNamara who was baptised in May 1852; address: Tengarrei.

As for the mystery Kate McNamara of Curracloon, who married Matthew McMahon in 1882, I thnk “Curracloon” might be Curracloon More, where other McNamaras were living. The townland of Corracloon is in Derrynagitta DED, but the adjacent townland of Corracloon More is in Feakle DED. You will see that in 1901 there is a John McNamara and his wife Kate living there. I’m guessing that the Kate McNamara who married in 1882 is their daughter: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... n_more.htm

Good work finding that Mary McNamara, the U.S. contact of John McNamara when he emigrated in 1912, was, in reality, his cousin and not his sister. That was an important find.

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:47 pm

Sheila and Jimbo,

All this analysis is the indispensable key to unlock these records so that johnmac can ever break through to what he has been searching for his Clare roots. That you are persisting in refining your findings in view of the various jurisdictions and commonplace references to the landscape, is beyond admirable.

On my part, I have reviewed my past notes contained in various computer files, for which I already knew that McNamara families in the rural Scariff Parish countryside are not represented. However, my Tuohy notes do have a few nuggets although those are not helpful for the instant research. I have records for younger sisters of Margaret Tuohy of Kilderra (who married Jimbo's reference 11.3 John McNamara, the fellow of unfound baptismal record). With their father's name of Jeremiah Toohey (as spelled in the newspapers) and Kealderra, Scariff in those wedding announcements, it is known that Jeremiah's fourth daughter Julia and third daughter Delia had their weddings in New South Wales, Australia: 1898 (Delia) and 1908 (Julia). I have a lot more notes for various Clare men named Jeremiah/Darby Tuohy in U.S. historical records -- not helpful for johnmac's research, but ready to assist any other effort.

johnmac1952

Post by johnmac1952 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:04 pm

G'Morning to all,
First I want to thank all for their research, help , and suggestions. It is greatly appreciatedand welcomed. Secondly, this is what I know of my family after close to 20 years of researching(pre and post internet):
Michael McNamara was born approximately in 1864 and died, as far as I could find, in 1905. His parents, according to birth records, wer John McNamara and Bridget O'Brien. No birthdates were found for either of his parents as of yet.
Mary Ro(d)gers was born in 1863, I think. When she died might have been in September 1910 at the Scarriff Union Hospital.Her father was Thady Ro(d)gers and Margaret Touhy. Birthdates for her parents have not been found.
Michael McNamara and Mary Ro(d)gers were married 4 October 1989. The witnesses were their fathers, John McNamara and Thady Ro(d)gers.
Michael and Mary had, between 1890 and 1902, five children. John, my grandfather born in 1890 in Curracloon, Timothy in 1892 in Woodpark, Daniel in 1896 in Curracloon, Margaret in 1899 in Curracloon, and finally Mary in 1902 in Curracloon.
Both mother and father and four children are on the 1901 Census. There is no mention of Mary as she was not born yet. For the 1911 Census they have disappeared.
From what I could find between 1901 and 1911 census the family were seperated due to the death of their parents. John, my grandfather, went to live with John and Mary O'Brien(shown as a relative) as shown on the 1911 census. Margaret was living as a visitor with Michael and Mary Maloney. Daniel was living as a servant with Michael and Katie Grogan. Timothy went to live with Matthew Sheedy's family. a Mary McNamara, age 8, turns up on the roster of a boarding school in 1911.
John McNamara came to New York in 1912 and went to "live" with sister Mary McNamara in Brooklyn. As his real sister Mary was 10 years old at the time, this Mary must be a cousin or a false lead. Timothy came over in 1914 and lived with John on Hudson Street in New York City. Margaret came over in 1920 and also landed at her brother John's apartment on 102nd Street. Daniel and Mary came over together in 1923 and went to live with their brother John at 75 West 102nd Street in Manhattan. John and Elizabeth McVeigh had married by that time and gave birth to my father, John, in 1922. All passasges were paid for by Dan McNamara of Tingaree/ Scariff.
The attached family treeshows who they married and who their offspring were.
I would like to go back further in my tree. Michael McNamara and Mary Ro(d)gers parents I know but further back is a mystery. I know that there is Griffith's Evaluations and other things but I really don't know how to research back that far.
As I mentioned, my father was little to no help before he died in 1996. Not much was said of the "Family". So all this falls on me because no other relative, except one, could care less. I have even been threatened with legal proceedings if I continued to pry into one part of my tree! lol
That is about all I have. Thank you all for your time, research and words/ links that you have given me.
JohnMac1952

johnmac1952

Post by johnmac1952 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:14 pm

ps: the board wouldn't let me upload my family tree as I have "reached my limit".

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:47 am

JohnMac1952, your words of appreciation are fine but it is disturbing to see your most recent posting about your family history that you have had prior to your first posting here. When you request free research, you are obliged to do your best job of reciting what you already have on hand. I am your age and I have also emerged from the early-1990s-era when research resources were so scarce. Being old is no excuse when you actually know, for instance, exactly when Mary Rodgers McNamara died, but all you posted here was "Mary I can't find a record of... I am looking for any information about...Mary..."

Now it appears that you are asking for additional research. I think you are on your own. McNamara family history has received a refinement that can be of benefit for all and sundry descendants, thanks to the generosity of Sheila and Jimbo. Bravo for that, S and J, but the call for even more work on your part is truly an individual choice, beyond extraordinary.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:33 am

Hi Johnmac

Thank you for giving that account of Michael McNamara of Curracloon.
The date of birth, approximately 1864, is based, I think, on Michael's age as stated in the 1901 census, but people did not always give their true ages. I think his age (45) stated at his death in 1905 is nearer the mark, and I think Jimbo is right when he puts forward the baptism of a Michael McNamara, son of John McNamara and Margaret Flannery, Tingaree, on 8 June 1855, as the date of your grandfather’s baptism. Jimbo probably looked first at the transcription of the Scarriff baptism register, as sorted by father’s surname (go to clarelibrary.ie, and then to Genealogy and Family History, and then to Donated Material, and then to Births/Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths. There you will see “Baptism Records for Scariff Parish, 1852-1881”: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... 2-1881.htm). That is just a transcription donated to clarelibrary.ie, so Jimbo probably proceded to check the original manuscript which is made available online by the National Library of Ireland - see https://registers.nli.ie. He would have found the original record of the baptism here: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 8/mode/1up. Johnmac, you may be right in thinking that Michael was born to John McNamara and Bridget O’Brien. The Scariff baptisms show a Michael McNamara, son of John McNamara and Bridget O’Brien, Scariff, who was baptised on 20 Sept. 1858, but I think that the Tingaree address for John McNamara and Margaret Flannery is significant. Thank you for the information that your grandfather, John McNamara, is recorded in the 1911 census as living with John and Mary O’Brien and described as a relative – this relationship may count as evidence that Michael McNamara was a son of John McNamara and Bridget O’Brien.
The birth-dates of John’s parents will not be found, as no birth records, that we know of, were kept in Scarriff (Tomgraney civil parish) before 1852. We often go on the age given at death in order to decide the year of birth (approximately), but the age at death was often guessed at by the person reporting the death. Plus the only records of deaths that we have were those reported to the civil authorities after 1864, when reporting of births, deaths and marriages became law. If we can’t find a death among the records kept by the General Register Office, we tend to assume that the person had died before 1864 – we forget that not every death was reported.
Your account gives Mary McNamara (b. 1902) as living in a boarding school, aged 8, but I think you will agree that Jimbo has shown that she was living with the Longs in Sellernaun. He (Jimbo) gives pretty conclusive evidence of this when he gives her Irish contact on the passenger listing in 1923 as “Mrs. M. Long” of “Sellormore”.
The information that Daniel McNamara of Tingaree paid for the passages of all the children of Michael McNamara is important – just as the discovery by Jimbo that the same Daniel was given as his uncle by young Daniel in 1923 is important – in fact, crucial.
I agree with Sharon that you could have given us more of this kind of information at the beginning. As I have said already, every crumb is helpful.

Sheila

Hi Jimbo

I was doubtful at first, but now think that John Mack who married Winifred Minogue in 1873 must be “our” John (father of Daniel and Michael). As you have said, the informant at the death of Winifred in 1901 was Daniel McNamara, Step-son: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 618391.pdf

I looked at the 1901 census hoping to find a Daniel who might fit the bill:

1. Daniel, aged 55, brother of Denis, is the son of James McNamara (the record of the marriage of Denis shows that his father was James: 1898: Marriage of Dennis McNamara, Farmer, Derrymore, Scariff, son of James McNamara, Farmer, to Norah O’Dea, Drumcharley, daughter of John O’Dea, Farmer, in Drumcharley chapel; witnesses: Michael McNamara, Mary O’Dea: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 790664.pdf
Denis and his siblings were children of James McNamara and Kate Guerin (Scariff baptisms), I reckon.

2. Daniel, aged 36, is the son of Michael McNamara. The record of his marriage shows that his father was Michael: 18 May 1898: Marriage of Dan MacNamara, Farmer, Waterpark, son of Michael McNamara, Farmer, to Margaret O’Farrell, Ballybran, daughter of Pat O’Farrell, in Ogonnelloe chapel; witnesses: Patrick McNamara, Mary Anne Fennessy: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 794192.pdf

3. Daniel McNamara, aged 50, is “our” Daniel, whose father was John McNamara, and I now think this must be the Daniel who was a step-son to Winifred.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:48 am

Jimbo, in your account of the Fossa More McNamaras, you say “John Mack”, of Tingaree, married Winifred Mingoue but the address is Fossa More, not Tingaree. The address for Winifred McNamara, who died in Jan. 1901, is also Fossamore, not Tingaree:
Hi Sheila, the widower "John Mack" married Winifred Minogue in 1873, so there is both a Catholic marriage register and a civil record. If you reread my posting, I stated that "John Mack" was of Tingaree using the Catholic marriage register of Scariff Parish as the source. Interestingly enough, the civil record does not state that "John Mack" was from "Fossa More" but from "Fossabeg", which is clearly incorrect. The Catholic marriage register leaves no doubt that the widower John McNamara ("Mack" per civil record), father of "uncle" Daniel and Michael, married Winifred Minogue ("Minouge" per civil record) in 1873:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 208451.pdf
I have a feeling that “our” McNamaras always gave their address as Tingaree, not as Fossa More (even though Tingaree was part of Fossa More). For that reason (more a feeling that a reason!), I wonder if Elizabeth McNamara of Fossamore who died in 1903 is the same Lizzie McNamara who was baptised in May 1852; address: Tengarrei.
Sheila, regarding your further doubts about the death record of Elizabeth McNamara (my reference 11.1) in 1903 being from "Tingaree", since the death record stated "Fossamore". I didn't really point out in the McNamara family tree, other than a green highlighted census reference, but in the 1901 census, in House 3 in Fossa More, Elizabeth McNamara was living with her younger brother, James McNamara (11.3). Elizabeth disappears by the 1911 census. Of course, she is the same Elizabeth McNamara of Fossamore who died 12 August 1903 with the informant, her brother James McNamara of Fossamore. There should be absolutely zero doubt on this.

I neglected to include on the McNamara family tree the subsequent marriage of James McNamara (11.3), his four children ages between 2 and 5 years old just appear miraculously in the 1911 census. James McNamara, of Fossamore, son of John McNamara, married Margaret Naughton, of Derrynagetha (sp?), daughter of John Naughton, on 16 February 1904. This was just six months after the death of Elizabeth, the sister of James. Sheila, I recall your explanation, awhile back now, that "clearing the house", or some such term, would greatly improve the marriage chances of those who remained behind. A potential bride for James would be hesitant to marry into a household with an older sister-in-law running the show. Plus, James in losing his sister, no longer had anyone to cook and clean for him, which might have been a great incentive for him to get married.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 709147.pdf
Sheila, I was fairly certain that "uncle" Daniel McNamara and his brother Michael McNamara were descended from the "John McNamara (Daniel)" of Plot 10. The evidence being that John McNamara who had an eldest son Daniel was most likely to have been from Plot 10. However, "John Mack", the widower father of "uncle" Daniel McNamara, remarried in 1873, and was reported as the son of "John Mack". Did the priest make a mistake, or should the two Plots be swapped around? Or is there another explanation?
Yes, there is another explanation to this mystery. John McNamara (≈1808 - 1882), married to Margaret Flannery ( - prior to 1873), was old enough to be the John McNamara reported at Fossa More (Tomgraney) Griffith Valuation Plot 10. But he was also young enough to have a father named John McNamara to be recorded at GV Plot 10. John McNamara, Sr., with a son born in 1808, might have been born around 1790 or prior. There is no reason to think that John McNamara, Sr., had died prior to the 1855 Griffith Valuation.

This John McNamara, Sr., might have died prior to the 1864 start of civil registration death records. Or, quite possibly, he might be the John McNamara who died in the third quarter of 1866 at the age of 80 years in Scariff registration district; on-line record not yet available.

Also, a John McNamara, of Waterpark, widower, age 90, farmer, died on 11 February 1880, informant Dan McNamara, of Waterpark (no relationship provided).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 865885.pdf

Sheila, I think we are now in agreement that the McNamara's of Tingaree might say they are from Fossa More, but never Water Park. I'm guessing then that the informant, Dan McNamara, might have been the 90-year-old John McNamara's grandson. The son of Michael McNamara who at the age of 36 in 1898 married Margaret O'Farrell. So Dan McNamara would have been about 18 years old in 1880 when John McNamara died. I would need to do more research on the Waterpark McNamara's to test this theory. Anyways, the death of this John McNamara at the grand old age of 90 supports the theory that the father of John McNamara (≈1808 - 1882), also named John according the 1837 marriage record of "John Mack", could still be living at the time of the 1855 Griffith Valuation.

Thank you for providing the link to the Tithe Applotment books for the townland of Fossa More in Tomgraney parish, which was taken on 25 October 1827. McNamara tenants in Tingaree were "Pat'k, John, and D. McNamara." I'm certain that "D" stands for Daniel. This would be the Daniel McNamara referenced in Plot 10 Fossa More as "John McNamara (Daniel)". The "John" was probably the father of John McNamara of Plot 11 Fossa More. I've no theory who "Patrick" would be.

To summarize from the perspective of the original poster, Johnmac:

Grandfather of Johnmac = John McNamara born in Curracloon, Feakle, in 1890 who went to New York in 1912, with all his siblings following.

His great-grandfather = Michael McNamara (1855 - 1905), born in Tingaree, Scariff moved to farm in Curracloon, Feakle, married to Mary Rodgers. Their children appear to have been orphaned at a young age.

His great-great-grandfather = John McNamara (≈1808 - 1882) married to Margaret Flannery (her death record to be researched) of Tingaree, Scariff (he was still living with father at time of Griffith Valuation).

His great-great-great-grandfather = "John McNamara (Daniel)" of Fossa More (Tomgraney) Griffith Valuation Plot 10 (his death record to be researched; his wife might also show up in Scariff civil death records).

His great-great-great-great-grandfather = Daniel McNamara, the "D. McNamara" of 1827 Tithe Applotments, Tingaree, Fossamore townland, Tomgraney. Daniel McNamara died prior to 1855 Griffith Valuation.

So Johnmac, who I believe was just "fishing" for a few Irish relatives in Feakle in his original posting, and had no idea what he was getting himself into, can now trace his ancestry, I reckon, back a further three generations. Sheila, would appreciate your two cents on this theory prior to modifying the McNamara family tree on prior page.
Michael McNamara was born approximately in 1864 and died, as far as I could find, in 1905. His parents, according to birth records, were John McNamara and Bridget O'Brien. No birthdates were found for either of his parents as of yet.
Sheila, I suspect, but Johnmac wasn't terribly forth-coming in his above comment, that he and his distant cousin for their research remained in Feakle Parish for the birth of Michael McNamara (who married Mary Rodgers) and not Scariff Parish. It ignores the evidence of "uncle" Daniel McNamara of Tingaree, but given their only knowledge that Michael McNamara was from Feakle, it's not a bad theory. This would be the John McNamara and Bridget O'Brien who had three children baptized in Feakle Parish; from the civil birth records and Irish census they lived in Stone Park, Ayle, Feakle:

Stonepark (Feakle) Griffith Valuation Plot 4, James McNamara, jun; House, office, and land; 19+ acres; valuation £9.

Stonepark (Feakle) Griffith Valuation Plot 6, James McNamara; Land & cottier's house; 31+ acres; valuation £15, 5 shillings.

John McNamara ( - prior to 1901) and Bridget O'Brien (≈1825 - 1903) were the parents of three children baptized in the Feakle Catholic baptism register, which starts in 1860 and does not include the townland where the parents were residing (this information can be obtained from the civil birth records starting in 1864). Their marriage would have been prior to the start of the Feakle marriage register in 1860 (or possibly a neighboring parish, I didn't look). John McNamara appears to have been the son of James McNamara of Stonepark Plot 4, and named his eldest son "James":

John McNamara of Stonepark, Ayle, obtained his last dog license in 1882/1883, for a male red cur dog. Bridget McNamara was a widow living with three of her children in the 1901 census. <Stonepark, Ayle, House 2; x > Bridget McNamara, at Stonepark, "widow of the late farmer John McNamara", age 78 years, died on 4 July 1903; informant son James McNamara of Stonepark (Scariff registration).

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages ... k/1084830/
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages ... rk/368038/

For the 1926 Rate Book for the Rural District of Scariff, James McNamara is the occupier of Stonepark, Feakle, Ayle, Plot 4, cottiers house and land, 31+ acres, which appears to be Plot 6 of Griffith Valuation.

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... e_ded1.htm

4.1 James McNamara (≈1856 - after 1911), "age 40" in 1901 and "age 55" in 1911; James was born prior to the 1860 start of the Feakle baptism register. <Stonepark, Ayle, House 2; House 2>

4.2 Bridget McNamara (≈1857 - after 1911), "age 37" in 1901 and "age 54 in 1911; Bridget was born prior to the 1860 start of the Feakle baptism register. <Stonepark, Ayle, House 2; House 2>

4.3 John McNamara (1861 - unknown), was baptized on 15 February 1861, father John McNamara, mother Bridget O'Brien; sponsors Roby do [McNamara] & Bridget O'Dea.

4.4 Michael McNamara (1864 - unknown), was baptized on 22 December 1864, father John McNamara, mother Bridget O'Brien; sponsors Pat McNamara & Bridget Murphy. Born on 20 December 1864, in "Ayle, Feakle" per Scariff civil birth registration. Did Michael marry Mary Rodgers in 1889?

4.5 Cornelius McNamara (1868 - after 1911), "Corney Mack" baptized on 15 May 1868, father John Mack, mother Bridget Brien; sponsors James Mack & Ellen Corry. Born on 15 May 1868, in "Stonepark, P. Feakle" per Scariff civil birth registration. <Stonepark, Ayle, House 2; House 2>

Was Michael McNamara, son of John McNamara and Bridget O'Brien of Stonepark, Ayle, Feakle, the same as the Michael McNamara, a laborer, of Curracloon, Feakle, who married Mary Rodgers in 1889?

The best way to disprove the theory would be to find an alternative outcome for the Michael McNamara born in Stonepark. Did Michael die in infancy or as a young man as reflected in a civil death record? Did he marry someone else besides Mary Rodgers? Did he emigrate?

• Unlike his brothers, I could find no clue to Michael McNamara's existence in Stonepark as a young adult (for example, a dog license or petty session complaint).
• James, Bridget, and Cornelius McNamara were all single, over the age of 40, when living together at Stonepark in the 1911 census. If they had five orphaned nephews and nieces, wouldn't they have taken at least one in? If not altruistically, than to help clean the kitchen or fetch the water? There is zero connection between the McNamara's of Stonepark, Ayle, and the five orphans of Curracloon (unlike the orphans' passenger listings with their uncle Daniel McNamara of Tingaree, Scariff as Irish contact).
• Stonepark is a small townland just north of Ayle House. It's quite a far distance from Corracloon in Feakle. Tingaree (Fossamore townland), Scariff is about the same distance to Corracloon.

Johnmac, on the USA passenger listings while "uncle Daniel McNamara" of Tingaree was "the name and complete address of nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came" for both John in 1912 and Daniel in 1923, this does not mean that their uncle paid for their passage to America. This is documented in a separate column. Both John and Daniel paid for their own fare, Mary's fare was paid for by her brother (either John or Daniel?). I didn't check Timothy in 1914, or for Margaret with the new information that you gave on her arrival in 1920.

I doubt very much that Mary McNamara attended a boarding school. This would have cost money.

There is indeed a great divide between pre-internet and post-internet research. But there is now a perhaps even greater divide with the arrival of on-line Irish civil records for births, marriages, and deaths. The family trees on the ancestry website of Irish heritage typically (I'd say 90% and above) reflect zero Irish research using the free records now available at irishgenealogy.ie . The ancestry website only has indexes with limited information. They are a paid website that has zero incentive to tell its subscribers about these free documents, and they do not. The fact that it might take its subscribers 20 years of research, like it has done for Johnmac and others, might just be part of their strategy.

Johnmac, you state that the death of Mary Rodgers McNamara "might have been in September 1910 at the Scarriff Union Hospital" because I reckon you've only seen the index on the ancestry website. The below civil death record states that Mary McNamara was married when she died on 18 September 1910 at the age of 48. While she died at Scariff Union Hospital it also states that she was from Cahir. Mary McNamara is a common name in County Clare, the married Mary McNamara from Cahir is not your ancestor. While her five children were living elsewhere in the 1911 census, this doesn't necessarily mean that their mother, Mary Rodgers McNamara, had died prior to 1911.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... t%3DSearch

"John, my grandfather, went to live with John and Mary O'Brien (shown as a relative) as shown on the 1911 census. Margaret was living as a visitor with Michael and Mary Maloney." Thanks for this new information. O'Brien and Moloney are common names in County Clare. If you had been a bit more forthcoming with what townland they were living in, this would have been super helpful. I was unable to check your theory, but I suspect both are dubious. As stated previously, a Margaret McNamara, "age 10" was a servant in the household of Patrick Ducey (age 40), his father-in-law Timothy Minogue (age 56, born in Australia), in the 1911 census.

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages ... re/369537/

Johnmac, I don't think it is necessary to provide your family tree as an attachment. In this instance, having the children of the five McNamara's, who immigrated to the United States, would provide no useful information to trace your ancestry backwards. The passenger listings and naturalization records, with their link to the uncle Daniel McNamara of Tingaree, Scariff, was the critical evidence. Mary McNamara, born in 1902, may have had children born in the 1930's or 1940's who are still living, so it would be inappropriate to post this information on this forum. You might not get threatened with another lawsuit from a distant cousin, but there is really no need.

Johnmac, my prior link to Griffith Valuation for Fossa More townland didn't work. Try this instead. Click on the "Original Page" in a new tab, and it will take you to the GV page. You can also view the Map, the first time you use this it might take about 2 hours to find your townland, don't get discouraged. Helpful hint, switch from the historical map to the current map to help zoom in on the McNamara's of Tingaree (Fossa More), and then switch back.

https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith ... &wildcard=

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:03 am

Hi Jimbo

Sorry, I see now that John Mack’s address in the parish register is Tingaree: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 0/mode/1up.

Jimbo, you have shown how the “(Daniel)” in Griffith’s Valuation for Fossa More might be the grandfather of John McNamara (i.e. John who died in Tingaree in 1882), but we must take into account the prevalence of the name Daniel among the various McNamara families in whole townland of Fossamore. Maybe the Waterpark McNamaras consider that “(Daniel}” might be the Daniel who was living in Waterpark at the time of Tithes: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... _00308.pdf

McNamaras in Fossamore, Tomgraney parish, as listed in Tithes (1827):
Waterpark Lower Division: Danl. & Patk. McNamara.
Derrymore: John McNamara
Tengarry [Tingaree]: Patk. John and Dl. McNamara.

I agree that John McNamara (who died in 1882) might not have been listed in Griffith’s Valuation and that it might have been his father who was listed. But, if so, his father was not necessarily John (Daniel) of plot 10. His father might have been John McNamara in plot 11. However, we can see from the 25 inch on Geohive ( https://webapps.geohive.ie/mapviewer/index.html) that Tingaree is in the north of the townland of Fossamore, exactly (I think) where the Ballymore cluster of houses is situated in the 6 inch map, the map used for Griffith’s Valuation. And looking at the Griffith’s map (www.askaboutireland.ie), I can see that Ballymore is situated in plot 10. So we can safely say that Ballymore was the old name for Tingaree, or an alternative name, maybe, which fell out of use. And we can safely say that John (Daniel) was living in Tingaree. I think the “(Daniel)” was added to “John” in order to distinguish him from the John McNamara who had the adjacent plot 11. I notice that there are two residences in plot 10 (marked a and b), and wonder if John in plot 11 had his house in plot 10, but I know that is just idle wondering.
Anyway, Jimbo, my two cents amounts to agreeing that you modify the McNamara family tree on previous page.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:55 am

Hi Jimbo,

How Matt Sheedy and Timothy McNamara were cousins is indeed a mystery (When Timothy emigrated in 1914, he described Matt Sheedy as his cousin). When Matt Sheedy married Margaret Hill in Feb. 1912, one of the witnesses was a John McNamara. I know there are John McNamaras everywhere, but I suspect that this is “our” John who emigrated in June of that year.
19 Feb 1912: Marriage of Mathew Sheedy, Rahena, Ogonnelloe, Farmer, son of John Sheedy, deceased, to Margaret Hill, Ballymalone, daughter of John Hill, Farmer, in Tomgraney church; witnesses: John McNamara, Winifred Hill: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 600741.pdf

When Matt Sheedy's daughter, Margaret, was married in 1942 one of the witnesses was a Patrick McNamara, but we know that Patrick, son of Daniel in Tingaree, had emigrated to U.S., so my suspicion about John being our John from Curracloon may be mistaken: 29 Apr 1942: Marriage of John McNamara, Farmer, Rahena, son of Denis McNamara, Farmer, to Margaret Sheedy, Rahena, daughter of Matthew Sheedy, Farmer, in Ballyloughnane church; witnesses: Patrick McNamara, Bridget Sheedy: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 181924.pdf

When Matt Sheedy's daughter, Bridget, married Michael O'Driscoll, in 1946, one of the witnesses was a Bridget McNamara.

Sheila

P.S. Here is the marriage of Delia (Bridget) McNamara, daughter of Daniel McNamara, Tingaree, to Michael Kelly, Derrycaliff, in 1925:
16 Feb 1925: Marriage of Delia McNamara, Tingaree, Scariff, daughter of Daniel McNamara, Farmer, to Michael Kelly, Derrycallif, Crusheen, Farmer, son of Martin Kelly, Farmer, in Scariff church; witnesses: William Geraghty, Mary Ellen Costello: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 304590.pdf
(I looked for Delia's marriage just to see if the Tingaree McNamaras had any Sheedy witnesses at their marriages)

P.P.S. Well,I now think that the Patrick McNamara and Bridget McNamara (witnesses in the 1940s) might be the children of Denis McNamara and Mary Hill, a daughter of Michael Hill (so not a sister of Margaret Hill, whose father was John Hill, but probably a close relative): 1 Mar 1897: Marriage of Denis McNamara, Farmer, Lackaroo, son of Michael McNamara, to Mary Hill, Ballymalone, daughter of Michael Hill, in Tomgraney chapel; witnesses: John Tuohy, Bridget Tuohy: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 804248.pdf

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:13 am

Hi Sheila,

The mystery how Matt Sheedy and Timothy McNamara could be cousins has been solved. They were not. Timothy McNamara was a first cousin of Mary McNamara, daughter of Daniel McNamara of Tingaree, and granddaughter of Mary Mulcahy Devitt Sheedy. Mary McNamara was accurately reported as the niece of Matt Sheedy as head of household in the 1901 census, along with his mother and Mary's grandmother, Mary Sheedy. The fact that Timothy McNamara was reported as Matt Sheedy's cousin, although incorrect, is further evidence of the family relationship between the McNamara's of Tingaree (Tomgraney) and Curracloon (Feakle).

John Sheedy who married the widow Mary Mulcahy Devitt in February 1870 was a pensioner newly discharged from the British military, which I always find interesting to research.

Rahena Beg (Ogonnelloe) Griffith Valuation Plot 1a, Patrick Devitt; House, offices and land; 117+ acres shared (1a-1e) between 5 or so tenants; 1a's individual valuation £8.

Patrick Devitt (1823 - 1866) and Mary Mulcahy (≈1834-1922) <Rahenabeg, O'Gonnelloe, House 10; House 7> were the parents of four children baptized in the O'Gonnelloe Catholic baptism register (1832-1869):

1a.1 Margaret Devitt (1859 - after 1911) was baptized on 16 August 1859, at Rahena; sponsors Roby do [McNamara] & Bridget O'Dea.

Margaret Devit, of Rahena, daughter of Patrick Devit, farmer, married Daniel McNamara, of "Thingaree" , son of John McNamara, at St. Mary's chapel at O'Gonnelloe, on 17 February 1884; witnesses John Flannery (a maternal cousin?), Margaret Mulcahy.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 979466.pdf

See family tree of Daniel McNamara of Tingaree, Fossamore townland, Tomgraney Parish on prior page. <Fossamore, Scariff, House 4; House 18> Parents of seven children. Daughter, Mary McNamara, born in 1886, was living with her grandmother, Mary Mulcahy Devitt Sheedy, and her uncle, Matt Sheedy, in the 1901 census.

1a.2 Michael Devitt (1861 - unknown) was baptized on 1 August 1861, at Rahena; sponsors Martin Devitt of Ballybran and Margaret Mulcahy of Ballinaglera. Later whereabouts unknown.

1a.3 Martin Devitt (1863 - after 1911), was baptized on 15 November 1863, at Rahena; sponsors Michael Mulcahy of Ballinaglera and Bridget Keven of Ballinaglera.

Martin Devitt, farmer, of Rahena, son of Patt Devitt, married Anne Costelloe, of Ballinaglena, daughter of Michael Costelloe, on 23 February 1895 at the Catholic chapel at O'Gonnelloe, by the parish priest Patrick Glynn; witnesses Michael O'Brien and Eliza Costelloe:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 831700.pdf

"Martin Davitt" and Anne Costelloe were the parents of five children in the 1911 census, all surviving. <Ballynagleragh, Ogonnelloe, House 2; House 2> In both census years, the household included Anne's mother, Mary Costelloe (age 78 in 1901, age 90 in 1911):
......................................... 1a.3.1 Patrick Davitt (age 12 in 1911) <Ballynagleragh, Ogonnelloe, House 2; House 2>
......................................... 1a.3.2 Michael Davitt (age 11 in 1911) <Ballynagleragh, Ogonnelloe, House 2; House 2>
......................................... 1a.3.3 Mary Davitt (age 10 in 1911) <Ballynagleragh, Ogonnelloe, House 2; House 2>
......................................... 1a.3.4 Martin Davitt (age 8 in 1911) <Ballynagleragh, Ogonnelloe, x; House 2>
......................................... 1a.3.5 John Davitt (age 4 in 1911) <Ballynagleragh, Ogonnelloe, x; House 2>

1a.4 Bridget Devitt (1866 - after 1911) was baptized on 16 June 1866; sponsors Michael Mulcahy of Ballinaglera and Margaret Madden of Ballinaglera. Per Scariff civil registration, "Bridget Devit" was born on 14 June 1866; her father was reported as "Patrick Devit, Rahena, Deceased".

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 292992.pdf

Bridget Devitt, of Rahena, daughter of Patt Devitt, married Rody Costelloe, farmer, of Ballycorbin, son of Denis Costelloe, on 15 July 1897 at the Catholic chapel at O'Gonnelloe by the parish priest Glynn; witnesses Jeremiah Rogers and Mary Sheedy (her mother?), per Scariff registration:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 811100.pdf

Rody Costello (age 40) and Bridget Devitt Costello (age 41) were the parents of five children in the 1911 census, all surviving. In 1901, the Costelloe household included Rody's father, Denis Costelloe (age 70). <Ballycorban, Cloonusker, House 5; House 5>
......................................... 1a.4.1 Denis Costello (age 12 in 1911) <Ballycorban, Cloonusker, House 5; House 5>
......................................... 1a.4.2 James Costello (age 11 in 1911) <Ballycorban, Cloonusker, House 5; House 5>
......................................... 1a.4.3 John Costello (age 9 in 1911) <Ballycorban, Cloonusker, x; House 5>
......................................... 1a.4.4 Ellen Costello (age 7 in 1911) <Ballycorban, Cloonusker, x; House 5>
......................................... 1a.4.5 Theresa Costello (age 4 in 1911) <Ballycorban, Cloonusker, x; House 5>

A Patrick Devitt died at the age of 43 years old during the second quarter of 1866; Scariff civil registration not yet available on-line.

Mary [Mulcahy] Devitt, widow, "age 33", of O'Gonnelloe, daughter of Patt Mulcahy, married John Sheedy, of O'Gonnelloe, bachelor, "age 50", pensioner, son of Matthew Sheedy on 26 February 1870 at the Catholic chapel at O'Gonnelloe, by the parish priest John Egan (?); witnesses Michael Madden and Ellen Dinan:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 176695.pdf

John Sheedy (≈1830 per 1869 military discharge - 1901) and Mary Mulcahy Devitt Sheedy (≈1834-1922) <Rahenabeg, O'Gonnelloe, House 10; House 7> were the parents of three children:

1a.5 Mary Sheedy (1871- 1901), of Rahena, was born on 31 May 1871, father John Sheedy (farmer), mother Mary Mulcahy (Scarriff Registration). Ogonnelloe Parish baptism register is only from 1832 to 1869. Unknown location in 1901 census. Mary Sheedy, age 28 years, of Rahena (looks like "Mahena"), died on 20 October 1901; informant her brother, Matt Sheedy, of Rahena.

1a.6 Anne Sheedy (1874- 1905), "Anne Sheedey", of Rahena, was born on 30 April 1874,father John Sheedy (farmer), mother Mary Mulcahy (Scarriff Registration). Anne was single, age 29, and living with her mother and brother in 1901. <Rahenabeg, O'Gonnelloe, House 10; x> "Anne Sheedy from Killaloe", age 30 years, died of TB on 13 February 1905 at an Ennis hospital; informant Eliza Blake of the asylum.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 170910.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 574000.pdf

1a.7 Mathew Sheedy (1875 - after 1922), of Rahena, was born on 19 September 1875, father John Sheedy (farmer), mother Mary Mulcahy (Scarriff Registration). Ogonnelloe Parish baptism register is only from 1832 to 1869. <Rahenabeg, O'Gonnelloe, House 10; House 7> In the 1901 census, was living with mother, sister, and niece, Mary McNamara (age 12). In 1911, was living with his mother, and a servant, Timothy McNamara (age 17). When Timothy arrived in New York in 1914, Matt Sheedy was reported as his "cousin", when, in fact, Timothy was only a cousin of Matt Sheedy's niece, Mary McNamara.

Matt Sheedy, of Rahenabeg, was the informant and reported "son" when Mary Sheedy, widow of a farmer, age 88 years, died on 22 June 1922 (Scariff registration). See Sheila's last posting for Matt Sheedy's marriage and children.

I could not locate the death record for his father, John Sheedy, who was reported as a pensioner in his 1870 civil marriage record. The civil marriage record stating that he was 50 years old (reflecting a birth of 1820) was likely overstated, and his military record was more accurate (reflecting a birth of 1830).

UPDATE: "John Sheddy", of Rahena, married, age 75 years old, army pensioner, died on 26 February 1901; informant "Mat Sheedy, son, present at death Rahena" (the "M" in Mat was a scribble).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 618386.pdf

In the 1882/1883 Tralee District listing of military pensioners, John Sheedy, of the 101st Foot, was paid his pension at Killaloe.

In the Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Discharges, 1715-1925, of the 101st Foot, individual regiment number 1365, John Sheedy was discharged on 1 June 1869. Age 38. His place of birth was "Ogonnelloe, Killaloe, Clare". Laborer. 5 feet 10 inches height, brown hair, grey eyes, fresh complexion. He was healthy, his discharge was due to "Completed Service".

John Sheedy had been in the British military for a period of 21 years and 10 months; so joined when he was about 16 or 17 years old. During his enlistment, John Sheedy fought 19 years and 8 months in India, and was the recipient of four badges, and his character was "very good". His initial enlistment was with the 75th Regiment which left for India in 1849, consistent with John Sheedy's 19 years and 8 months in India between 1849 and 1869:
[The 75th Regiment of Foot] returned home in 1843 and then embarked for India again in 1849. The regiment, as part of the first storming column, led a bayonet charge at the siege of Delhi in June 1857 during efforts to suppress the Indian Rebellion. It was also engaged at the siege of Lucknow in November 1857 and formed the funeral party for Major-General Sir Henry Havelock later that month before going on to take part in the Capture of Lucknow in March 1858.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/75th_(Sti ... nt_of_Foot
John Sheedy of O'Gonnelloe was discharged on 1 June 1869, and married the widow Mary Mulcahy Devitt on 26 February 1870. John Sheedy with his military pension would have been a good catch for a widow with four young children.

Edit 1 on 8 March 2023: 1901 death record for John Sheedy, who had two daughters (not one as per original posting).
Last edited by Jimbo on Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:00 am

Hi Jimbo,

Good work, clearly set out as always. And thanks for the interesting account of John Sheedy’s career in the British army before returning home and marrying Mary Mulcahy, widow of Patrick Devitt/Davitt.
The Sheedy headstone in The Hill graveyard, Ogonnelloe, gives Feb 1901 as the date of death of John Sheedy and his age as 75. I failed to find a civil record of the death – likewise with the deaths of Mathew’s sisters, Mary and Anne, and the death of his son, John, in 1920: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... iption.htm, but I see that you found the death of Mary in 1901 (not 1903): https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 610276.pdf
Martin Davitt is included in the inscription, but also has his own headstone.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:38 am

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for providing a link to the headstone transcriptions of The Hill graveyard in Ogonnelloe. I've now split out "Mary Anne", so John Sheedy has two daughters and not just the one.

The civil birth record for "Anne Sheedy" in 1874 was written as "Anne Sheedey", and properly transcribed (however, the irelandgenealogy database obviously does not recognize the odd spelling "Sheedey" to be equivalent with "Sheedy").

Given the headstone transcriptions were incorrect for both daughters, Mary Sheedy died on 20 October 1901 (and not 4 March 1903), and Anne Sheedy died on 13 February 1905 (and not 4 October 1908), I was skeptical that John Sheedy had actually died on 26 February 1901 as stated on his headstone. Plus, he does not show up in a search of 1901 in the civil death records.

I then went to FamilySearch for a second opinion to confirm that John Sheedy did in fact die in 1901. From the "Ireland Civil Registration Death Indexes, 1845 - 1958", a John Sheedy died in Scariff in the first quarter of 1901 at the age of 75 years old. This index at least confirmed that I should be able to find the actual civil death record.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FT6T-85Q

I then went back to the irishgenealogy website and searched for any "John" who died in 1901. There were 6,571 in Ireland, but only thirteen in Scarriff registration district. The last one was for a "John Sheddy". Unlike "Sheedey", "Sheddy" is a transcription error, so I've submitted a correction. The Sheedy headstone was indeed correct: John Sheedy, of Rahena, married, army pensioner, age 75, died on 26 February 1901:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 618386.pdf

Sheila, you often state to other posters on this forum, such as Johnmac above, that "not every death was reported". More typically when you are unable to discover a civil death record, or any civil record using the irelandgenealogy search engine, I reckon the explanation might be one of the following:

(1) the name was transcribed incorrectly ("Sheddy")
(2) the surname was an odd spelling not recognized as the more common surname spelling ("Sheedey")
(3) the incorrect registration district was transcribed; found two instances of this in the past week (eg, "Ennistymon" vs "Ennis").
(4) the underlying source was incorrect, such as a headstone with the wrong year (Mary Sheedy died in 1901, and not 1903).
(5) the underlying source, such as a headstone, was correct, but transcribed wrong due to being 100 years old.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:54 am

Hi Jimbo

Yes, I agree that there are several reasons for why we fail to find death records, and it is helpful to point them out.
I’ve been looking at Daniel McNamara and Catherine O’Brien, who were married in 1870 and lived in Waterpark (in the townland of Fossa More, Tomgraney parish): https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 176697.pdf. The record shows that Daniel was the son of John McNamara, who, I think, is the John McNamara who was leasing 61 acres 3 roods and 5 perches, from Earl of Norbury (plot 36 a). Waterpark house, situated in that plot, is marked “in ruins” in Griffith’s Valuation map, but it appears from the later map that another house was built nearby. John’s son, Daniel, and Daniel’s wife, Catherine, had eleven children born to them. Their first child, Kate, was baptised in December 1870 (the civil record gives Feb. 1871 as her date of birth: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 206582.pdf), and nine more children were born before the birth of Helena in 1893: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 855888.pdf. Daniel reported that birth. But in 1901, Catherine is described as a widow (https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... 136_11.htm), so Daniel must have died sometime between those two dates. But I’ve failed to find the record. The headstone in Moynoe graveyard does not show the deaths of Daniel or Catherine – just their son Henry and his wife Mary: Grave no. 50: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... cariff.htm. The adjacent headstone (No. 51) is for their son, Rody, a gunner in the British army who died in 1916: https://astreetnearyou.org/person/27434 ... y-Mcnamara.
Jimbo, it should be easy to find the death of Daniel McNamara/MacNamara, Mack between 1893 and 1901, but I have failed to find it.

Sheila
Edited 14 March 2023 to amend date of birth of Helena McNamara (1993 amended to 1893).

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:18 am

Well, I was mistaken in thinking that Honora Rodgers, who married John Collins of Derrybrien in 1898, was a daughter of Thady Rodgers and Margaret Tuohy. That Honora Rodgers was the daughter of Timothy Rodgers of Slieveanore. The 1911 census shows Hanora’s daughter, Mary Collins, staying at the Rodgers house in Slieveanore. I haven’t found any records for any of the children of Thady Rodgers and Margaret Tuohy, apart from the marriages of Anne to Henry Murphy in July 1889, and Mary to Michael McNamara in Oct 1889. Thady Rodgers died in Kildavin 1888, a widower aged 70; the informant is his daughter Margaret, who was born 1873. A child born in 1870 was also called Margaret, but she died in 1871.

13 Apr 1888, Kildavin: Death of Timothy Rodgers, widower, aged 70, Farmer; informant: Margaret Rodgers, daughter, Kildavin: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 764688.pdf

Children of Thady Rodgers and Margaret Tuohy:

Thady baptised 16 Jun 1861; parents: Thady Rodgers, Margaret Tuohey; sponsors: Bryan Carroll, Margaret Tuohey (Feakle (lower) parish baptisms)

Mary baptised 11 Jun 1863: parents: Thady Rodgers, Margaret Tuohey; sponsors: Tom and Anne Tuohey (Feakle (lower) parish baptisms)

19 Sep 1865, Kilbarron, Feakle: Birth of Thomas to Teady Rodgers, Farmer, and Margaret Tuohy; informant: Margaret Tuohy, present at birth, Bauroe, Feakle: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 310790.pdf. Sponsors at baptism on 20 Sept: John Duggan and Margaret Tuohy.

20 Sep 1868, Upper Lacarrue, Feakle: Birth of Anne to Timothy Rodgers, Labourer, and Margaret Touhy: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 253186.pdf. Sponsors at baptism on 18 Sept: Tom Hallinan and Mary Glynn.

7 Aug 1870, Kildavin: Birth of Margaret to Timothy Rodgers, Labourer, and Margaret Tuohy: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 221015.pdf. Sponsors at baptism on 14 Aug: Thos. Halloran and Peggy Hoy.

18 May 1871, Kildavin: Death of Margaret Rodgers, aged 1 year 9 months, daughter of a Labourer; informant: Mary Rodgers, Kildavin: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 273984.pdf

2 Jan 1873, Kildavin: Birth of Margaret to Timothy Rodgers, Labourer, and Margaret Tuohy: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 175571.pdf

12 Sep 1875, Kildavin: Birth of Honora to Timothy Rodgers, Herdsman, and Margaret Tuohy: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 131820.pdf. Sponsors at baptism, Sept. 1875: John Rogers, Mary McDowell.

25 Oct 1877, Kildavin: Birth of Bridget to Thady Rodgers, Farm Labourer, and Margaret Tuohy: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 093456.pdf. Sponsors at baptism on 18 Oct 1877: Patt Rodgers and Mary Kelly.

I failed to find a record of the death of Margaret Rodgers neé Tuohy. She died sometime between the birth of her daughter Bridget in 1877 and the death of Thady in 1888.
The 1901 census for the townland of Kildavin (Feakle DED) shows that none of the children of Thady and Margaret were still living there.

I’ve now deleted what I’d given on the marriage of Honora Rodgers from Slieveanore, as it was misleading.

Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona daoibh go léir. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Sheila