Where is the townland of Cullaun in 1911?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Where is the townland of Cullaun in 1911?

Post by Sduddy » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:12 am

Some of the postings by Sharon Carberry and Jimbo on the topic of “Information on Thomas McNamara, Glandree” have taken us to Wisconsin. And I am reminded of the interesting map of the route to Wisconsin taken by the O’Loghlin brothers in 1849, donated to Clare Library by Ben Bares in 2014: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... oghlin.htm. According to this “Clan Ólochlainn” site, three of the brothers, Bryan Fergus, Donagh and Terence maintained their individual journals through their departure from the port of Limerick to their arrival at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA in October 1849: https://olochlainn.wordpress.com/2019/0 ... s-of-1849/. It would be great to see more of those journals – did the brothers set out with the intention of going to Fond du Lac?

The Patrick O’Loughlin who is listed in Grifftih’s Valuation of Cullaun (Rathborney Parish) may be another brother. Patrick O’Loughlin is leasing a house and 269 acres from Capt. Frs. McNamara. He is the only tenant in Cullaun. There is some well presented information regarding Patrick’s son, also called Patrick (c1854 – 19??), on Ireland Reaching Out: https://irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/histor ... oughlin-jr . Patrick b. abt. 1854 is confused with the Patrick in Griffith’s Valuation, but otherwise the information is very helpful. It shows Patrick (Junior) in the 1901 census, with his wife, Margaret [Flaherty], and their 10 children (plus a visiting tailor), living in Cullaun, Mount Elva DED.

I’ve failed to find this family in the 1911 census. The name of the DED has been changed to Ballyvaghan (note spelling). All the townlands in the 1901 Mount Elva DED are in Ballyvaghan DED in 1911, except Cullaun and Slievenabillog. The Currans, the only occupants of Slievenabillog in 1901, are in Ballyconnoe in 1911, so Slievenabillog (= Leafy Mountain) must be unoccupied. But I can’t see the O’Loughlins anywhere nearby.

The death of Margaret O’Loghlen [née Flaherty], a widow aged 73, was registered in Ballyvaughan in 1937. She died in Cahermaan, but the record describes her as the widow of Patrick O’Loghlen of Cullaun: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 280314.pdf. Also, the record of the marriage of Elizabeth Agnes OLoghlin, daughter of Patrick OLoghlin, in 1911, gives her address as Cullane: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 614182.pdf. So I think the O’Loghlins were still living in Cullaun/Cullane in 1911. But has Cullaun been moved to another DED?

I did a virtual drive (courtesy of Google maps) along the road that passes through Cullane (to the right, off the N67, going from Ballyvaughan to Lisdoonvarna). All around is bogland, or moorland. I felt close to the sky and was reminded of “Wuthering Heights.” This was where a branch of the O’Loghlen’s held a fastness in late medieval times, before the Forfeitures and Distribution: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... parish.htm

Sheila

smcarberry

Re: Where is the townland of Cullaun in 1911?

Post by smcarberry » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:18 pm

Sduddy wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:12 am
...I am reminded of the interesting map of the route to Wisconsin taken by the O’Loghlin brothers in 1849, donated to Clare Library by Ben Bares in 2014: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... oghlin.htm. According to this “Clan Ólochlainn” site, three of the brothers, Bryan Fergus, Donagh and Terence maintained their individual journals through their departure from the port of Limerick to their arrival at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA in October 1849: https://olochlainn.wordpress.com/2019/0 ... s-of-1849/. It would be great to see more of those journals – did the brothers set out with the intention of going to Fond du Lac?
If you wish to explore a different source for viewing the content of those diaries, this is my saved note:
"Diaries. 1849-1850 O'Loghlin, Bryan F.
RLG Union Catalog Record ID WIHV97-A276#-
Transcription of diaries kept by three brothers, Bryan F., Terrence, and Dennis O'Loghlin, during their voyage from County Clare to New York City...and a draft of an 1850 letter from Dennis to his brother Laurence describing their new home in the Town of Taycheedah, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin. Includes a reference to J. Gilbert Hardgrove."

Back 16 years ago I amassed a lot of material on Clare-born to Manitowoc and Outagamie Counties, some of which refers to Fond du Lac phases of those immigrants' travels. Below is a small selection. I will do a separate posting on those in the group of Manitowoc County who, like the McNamara-McMahon family, likewise resettled in Richardson County, Nebraska.

"Henry M. Hardgrove, 94, of 1215 E. Johnson Street, died in his sleep at his home Sunday night. He was the last member of a family of 12. Born on October 31, 1845, which was called 'November eve' in Ireland, he came as a child, with his parents, Henry and Mary Hynes Hardgrove, and six other children, to Toronto, Canada in 1846. Two years later, they moved to Milwaukee and in 1851, they moved to Wisconsin. While there, Mr. Hardgrove invented a threshing machine and moved to the city of Fond du Lac, where the machine was manufactured, the plant later moving to Minneapolis to become the Minneapolis Threshing Machine Company. As a result of his connection with this patent, Mr. Hardgrove became a dealer in farm implements. He moved to Madison in 1900 and has made his home here since. In 1876, he married Miss Rose Cale whose father, Thomas Cale, was the first delegate to congress from Alaska. Mr. Hardgrove is survived by his wife, and their only son, George P. Hardgrove, Seattle, Washington.
Funeral arrangements await the arrival of the son who is enroute from Los Angeles."
Capital Times Monday, February 13, 1940 Madison, Wisconsin

The obituary of his sister provides more of their immigration story:
"Mrs. Bridget Twohig, aged 78 years, a pioneer of Fond du Lac County, died suddenly at her home, 131 East Second street at 9:45 Sunday morning. Although Mrs. Twohig had been ill for about three weeks her death came very unexpectedly. She was a native of Ireland having been born January 12, 1843 in County Clare, Ireland, in the vicinity, of Ennis. She came to America when she was a child of two years with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hardgrove. The family settled in Toronto, Canada, residing in there a number of years when they came to Milwaukee. After a few years of residence in that city the family moved to the town of Forest in Fond Du Lac County, in the early fifties. Bridget Hardgrove was united in marriage to David Twohig at Byron, February 6, 1867. Mr. Twohig passed away in this city eight years ago. The couple resided on a farm in Osceola until eight years ago, when they came to the city, after which the death of Mr. Twohig occurred...

She is survived by five sons, Doctors David, Henry, and Elmer Twohig of this city. Bartholomew of this city and George living on the homestead farm in Osceola, Mrs. J. P. Connell of this city and Ms. Laura A. Twohig of this city, Twenty-One grandchildren and one great grandchild. She also leaves four brothers and four sisters. The brothers are John Hardgrove of Hopkins, Minnesota, Timothy Hardgrove of this city, Richard of this city and Henry of Madison. The sisters are Mrs. Elizabeth Redmond of Chicago, Mrs. James Smith of Eden, Mrs. Frank Tice, of Pueblo, Colorado and Ms. Mary Hardgrove of Fond Du Lac. Funeral services will be held at nine o' clock, Tuesday morning at Saint Joseph's Church. There will be a solemn requiem mass. Burial will be at Chivalry [Calvary] Cemetery."

I'll stop here with this one, omitting 3 paragraphs of glowing accolades about the decedent's character and value within his community:

"It again becomes our painful duty to chronicle the death of another old pioneer of this locality, in the person of John Leonard, who departed this life at his home near Rathbun in the town of Greenbush on September 20, 1908, in the 69th year of his age strengthened by the sacraments of his church, and surrounded by his children, his wife and his grand children, peacefully and resignedly.

Mr. Leonard was born in Clare County, Ireland and came to America in 1860. He lived two years in New York, coming to Wisconsin and Fond du Lac 1862, where he lived for 15 years. In 1866, he was married to Miss Ellen Doogan, at Fond du Lac. In 1877, with his family he moved onto the farm, on which he lived till the time of his death. To Mr. and Mrs. Leonard were born 12 children of whom 5 sons and 3 daughters survive. His wife and grand children also survive. His children are: John of South Dakota, George, Michaels [sic], Edward, Francis and Miss Anna, living at home and Mrs. Thos. Tierney and Mrs. Adolph Maritz of Milwaukee...

Those from away who attended the funeral were: Mr. and Mrs. Donahue of Kaukauna, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Doogan, Mr. and Mrs. Salar, and Mr. and Mrs. McDonald of Antigo, Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Rooney and Miss Catherine Niland of Milwaukee, William Doogan and the Misses Gertrude and Edna Doogan of Oshkosh, Peter Doogan of Dubuque, Iowa..."
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... /obitL.htm
Daily Commonwealth Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin 18 April, 1928
Last edited by smcarberry on Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:43 am

Hi Sharon

Thank you for that reply. I was interested to read about Henry Hargrove, who went from Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, to Richardson County, Nebraska. His parents are given as Henry Hargrove and Mary Hynes and this couple are recorded in the Tulla baptisms (1819-1846) as parents of Catherine baptised 24 Dec 1832; John baptised 1 Jun 1834; Margaret baptised 12 Dec 1835; Tim baptised 12 Jan 1838; Henry baptised ?? Oct 1845; Mary baptised 3 Jul 1840 (She is the only one whose surname is spelled “Hardgrove”). The address is Lacharue, except at the baptism of Tim when it is Glendree. The biographical note tells us that Henry was born on 31 Oct 1845, so “??” must be “31” – all very satisfying.

Sharon, you may be surprised, or annoyed, to hear me mention the Laura Ingalls Wilder books once again, but my abiding, indelible impression of Wisconsin comes from The Little House in the Big Woods. The description of life there, for a settler, is set in the early 1870s, and I suppose life was somewhat easier then than in the 1850s and 1860s, but I think it worth reading by anybody. Most people, I suspect, think of the TV series which is much too sugary, but the original is not too sugary and tells us a lot about how things were made and done at that time. The pig's bladder was blown up and used as a football, and so it was in Ireland too. One can buy the book for a child and then read it oneself. This preview only goes to page 27 and doesn't include my favourite bit about the magical shapes formed when melted sugar was poured onto snow: https://books.google.ie/books/about/Lit ... &q&f=false

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:55 pm

Sheila, to the contrary, I am delighted that you have been exploring the locales of the Irish in Wisconsin and Minnesota through the Ingalls' narrative. I am sorry that I can't quickly find my saved note about the Clare man who moved his family onto that Ingalls family's farm (long after they left it) in, as I remember it, Minnesota. I haven't needed to use my Minnesota references in a long while, so just now I started looking through my collection of Minnesota obituaries of the Clare-born, only to see that those are far too numerous to quickly review. Also, my memory tells me that my saved note is in an e-file, likely labelled MN and saved in a folder for a family like McMahon or some major research direction I was taking some 10 or more years ago. I tried running a search of all my computer files using the search terms Ingalls, Wilder, and prairie, but nothing resulted. Maybe something will refresh my memory in the next day or two.

Minnesota has a unique twist in its pioneer stage, in that there was an initial wave of settlers, followed by a two-year campaign of vigorous attacks by Native Americans (Indians), resulting in the U.S. Army sending in troops in the time period following the U.S. Civil War. That effort was successful (despite the 1876 catastrophe of Custer's Last Stand in which an entire regiment was slain), and settlers once again felt confident to move into the territory, with many coming in from Wisconsin. I have been keeping an eye on MN although my own immigrant families didn't proceed past Wisconsin (a Luxembourg group which dropped off my 3x-great grandmother in NY, left one man in Western Pennsylvania near Lake Erie, and then the main group settled in Belgium WI). While my children were growing up, I had the opportunity to do a lot of driving around the state while picking them up from their language camps operated by Concordia Language Villages all around the state. Irish is not taught although Norwegian is; my kids took French and German. That organization was created many decades ago in order to preserve in younger generations the original language of Scandinavian immigrants, who flooded the state and who remained, for the most part. Looking at the Clare-borns' obituaries and the listing of descendants, I can see a very wide scattering of them from their birthplaces in MN, to California, Washington state, etc.