Thomas J. Madigan, Sergeant Major U.S. Army, born in Kilrush

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Re: Thomas J. Madigan, Sergeant Major U.S. Army, born in Kilrush

Post by Sduddy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:16 am

Hi Jimbo,

That thread on Thomas Madigan, whose will benefitted an orphan (chosen by the nuns), was water under the bridge I thought. It was really brave of you to dive back into it and dig up the mistakes.
All those Mary Madigans! Could it be that Mary Madigan who died in 1937 in St. Joseph’s home for the Aged, aged 68, is not the Mary Madigan who was aged 68 in 1930? There may have been more than one Mary Madigan checking in to a place built “entirely for the comfort of aged women.”

About the Bridget Madigan who lived in Stillwell Ave., Bronx, and who had left the U.S. in 1946 and returned in 1947, I wondered if she’d gone to Ireland because of the death of a family member. But I see that her sister, Frances, had died in 1945, aged 29: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 223167.pdf. Another sister, Kathleen, b. 1918, had died in 1936 aged 18: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 286712.pdf. Both had died of Phthisis (Tuberculosis), a plague in Ireland at the time. I’ve been reading The Material for Victory: the memoirs of Andrew J. Kettle, which is a reproduction of the original. There’s new introduction, by Niamh Reilly, plus an additional biographical note in which she mentions that three of the Kettle children died of tuberculosis. Reilly says
The prevalence of TB began to rise in Ireland in 1880 so that “an average of 12, 135 people were lost to it every year between 1899 and 1908” [note 25: Clear 2007, 96] ... The rate of death did begin to fall after 1908, but “very slowly”. While about 12,000 died in 1908, a decade later the number was about 10,000” [note 30: In 1918 the number was 9,576 (Clear 2007, 96)].
Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:01 pm

Another sister of Bridget Madigan, Mary, died in 1929, aged 20, but the cause is not tuberculosis; it is “probably disease of the heart”: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 340931.pdf. She was Mary Josephine, aged 2, in the 1911 census. So it seems that all three of Bridget’s siblings had died by 1946.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:03 pm

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for providing the rather grim stats on tuberculosis deaths in Ireland. Sergeant Major Thomas J. Madigan, of course, was at Fitzsimons General Hospital in Denver suffering from TB. The news articles I chose in my first posting announcing that 4 orphan boys were the recipients of the life insurance from Madigan and another soldier, chosen by the nuns, were abbreviated. Included below is a longer article which described the prevalence and horror of TB in America during this era:
Two After-War Heroes

Out in the middle west, four little orphan boys last fall had a happy surprise. Two soldiers, heroes during the Great War, bequeathed their $10,000 insurance to these parentless youngsters of an orphan asylum.

Thomas J. Madigan and James Jacques were the soldiers and they both died of tuberculosis which they contacted while serving Uncle Sam on the firing line . . . [see first posting] . . .

The memory of these two brave soldiers will always be cherished in the hearts of their four beneficiaries. They will always be heroes, also, to everyone who realizes that they have gave their lives for the ones at home. They did not die, however, gloriously on the battle field, struck down by the German foe. They were victorious over that enemy. They lived to come home where slowly and alone they were overcome by the insidious enemy, tuberculosis. This enemy had been fighting humanity for over 2500 years. During that time, it has cruelly killed more persons that all the wars we have ever known. While the Great War was taking our men and boys, tuberculosis was quietly getting its hold on men, women and children. In the year when we were actively engaged in the fighting the war killed approximately 70,000 American soldiers. During that same period tuberculosis killed 150,000 in this country.

Goodland Republic, Goodland, Kansas, Thursday, 29 December 1921
Sheila, thanks also for sharing your research on the siblings of Bridget Madigan who went to the Bronx and then later to Australia. Her sister Frances Madigan died in 1944, on the 2nd of November, and not in 1945. Her mother was slow in reporting her death to the Kilrush registrar on 25 October 1945. Also, in the 1911 census, Mrs. Frances Madigan states that she was the mother of two children, one surviving.

So, John Madigan (1872 - 1924) and Frances “Fanny” O’Dea (1880 - 1963), who married in 1906, were the parents of five daughters:

1) Mary Josephine Madigan (1909 - 1920)
2) Anna Mary Madigan (1910 – 1910)
3) Bridget Madigan (1911 – to Bronx in 1929 – visit to Ireland in 1946/1947 – from NY to Australia in 1948)
4) Frances Madigan (1913 - 1944)
5) Kathleen Madigan (1918 – 1936)

It would have been a very difficult decision for Bridget to return to New York in 1947 after visiting her mother in Ireland for nearly one year, and then the subsequent decision to go all the way to Australia in 1948.

Sheila, it is always a good idea to revisit prior research and prior assumptions about Sergeant Major Thomas J. Madigan, and not particularly brave on my part. I reckon we both felt after Stephen Madigan’s death in 1872, that the widow Bridget Keane Madigan with three young children (including a Thomas, possibly the Sergeant Major) would become destitute. Or that the Madigan family of Carnanes likely had become dependent upon relatives for survival or even relied upon the Kilrush workhouse. Two years ago I stated that I could find no further evidence of the widow Bridget Madigan in the Irish records. I realize now that I had only searched the civil records for Bridget’s possible remarriage or death, as well as searching the 1901 and 1911 census records.

I had failed to search the Irish dog registers and Kilrush petty session records:

1858, 15th of March: Mary Madigan, farmer, of Carnanes vs. Nancy O’Brien, servant, of Kilrush:
Absconding from service.

1859, 3rd of October: Stephen Madigan of Carnanes, and John Dillon of Tullycrine charged with being drunk at Kilrush.

1862, 13th of January: Michal Brew (Thomas) of Carnanes vs. Mary Madigan of Carnanes:
Trespass of 10 cows and complainant’s property at Carnanes.

1863, 19th of January: John Hinchy of Monmore vs. Mary Madigan and Stephen Madigan of Carnanes:
Wages of £5 and 5 shillings for 9 months and to show cause why he should be discharged prior to his term of agreement.

1863, 1st of June: Mary Madigan of Carnanes vs. Thomas Fennell of Kildimo (sp?):
Defendant left complainant’s service at Carnanes not having fulfilled the term of his agreement as farm servant.

1863, 2nd of December: Sub constable Robert Rutludge vs. Stephen Madigan of Carnanes:
Drunk on public street in Kilrush on 1 December 1863.

1866, 1867, 1868, 31 March: dog license for year ending by Stephen Madigan of Carnanes; for a male, brown, co????? breed (sp?) dog.

1866, 4th Quarter: death of a Mary Madigan, age 64, Kilrush district; on-line civil death registration not yet available.

1868, 4th of February: marriage of Stephen Madigan of Carnanes, son of Luke Madigan, to Bridget Keane, daughter of Charles Keane of Baltard at the Catholic chapel at Baltard (Kilrush civil record).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 207188.pdf

1868, 22nd of June: Head Constable Richard Eaton of Kilrush vs. Stephen Madigan of Carnanes:
Ass [donkey] was wandering on the public road at Carnacalla on the night of the 17th of June. Same charge against Patt Madigan of Carnanes.

1868, 7th of September: Joseph W. Cox of Monmore vs. Stephen Madigan of Carnanes:
Trespass by 12 cows on complainant’s field of grass and corn at Monmore on 27th of August.

1868, 28th of September: Thomas Brew of Carnanes vs. Stephen Madigan of Carnanes:
Tresspass by 5 cows on complainant’s field of turnips at Carnanes on 20th of September.

1868, 23rd of November: Mary Griffin of Carnanes vs. Stephen Madigan of Carnanes:
Process of £1 and 11 shillings and 3 pence for the balance of wages due as a servant.

1869, 15th of February: Sinon Eyers (sp?) of Carnanes vs. Stephen Madigan of Carnanes:
Wages of £3 and 15 shillings for labouring work.

1869, 29th of March: Michael Brew (Thomas) of Carnanes vs. Susan Brew and Thomas Brew of Carnanes:
Defendants did at Carnanes, 16 March 1869, assault complainant, and did there and then, by force threat violence, forcibly rescue 3 cows from him deyxx (unclear) under and by nature of 1 codicil x?ill decree.

1869, 19th of April: John Crowley of Carnanes vs. Stephen Madigan of Carnanes:
Trespass by 6 cows on complainant’s field of oats at Carnanes on 11th of April. John Crowley and Bridget O’Neill of Carnanes would become the parents of a whopping 17 children, 14 surviving, according to the 1911 census. Bridget Madigan was the baptism sponsor of Mary Crowley in 1871.

https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ ... un/363663/

1869, 5th of July: Thomas Brew of Carnanes vs. Stephen Madigan of Carnanes:
Trespass by 5 sheep and 2 lambs on complainant’s field of oats at Carnanes on 2nd of July.

1869, 19th of July: Thomas Brew of Carnanes vs. Stephen Madigan of Carnanes
Trespass by 8 cows and 2 heifers on complainant’s field of grass at Carnanes on 14th of July.

1869, 11th of October: John Crowley of Carnanes vs. Stephen Madigan of Carnanes:
Trespass by 10 cows on complainant’s pasture land at Carnanes on 8th of October. A similar charge on same day for trespass of cows on 5th of October.

1870, 25th of March: Constable Thomas Allervay (sp?) of Kilrush vs. Stephen Madigan of Carnanes:
Defendant was drunk on the public road at Kilrush on 23rd of March.

1871, 23rd of January: Stephen Madigan of Carnanes vs. James Higgins of Carnanes:
Defendant did at Carnanes on 29th of December 1870, unlawfully leave complainant’s service without fulfilling the term he agreed to serve as servant and complainant will apply to the Court for an order to compel him to serve his time out.

1871, 27th of March: Martin Reardon of S (unclear) vs. Stephen Madigan of Carnanes:
Process of £1 balance of wages due within one year.

1871, 22nd of May: Thomas Brew of Carnanes vs. Stephen Madigan of Carnanes:
Defendant allowed his 3 heifers to trespass on complainant’s pasture land at Carnanes 3 times the same day on 18th of May.

1872, 1st of August: Death of Stephen Madigan, farmer of Carnanes of bronchitis, 5 weeks duration; informant Mary Madigan (Kilrush civil registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 270995.pdf

1873, 5th of May: Thomas Mescall of Leadmore vs. Bridget Madigan of Carnanes:
Process of 9 / 6 for wages due within one year.

1873, 8th of October: John Crowley of Carnanes vs. Bridget Madigan of Carnanes; three separate charges:
Trespass by 3 head of cattle on complainant’s potato garden on 28th of September. Trespass by a cow on potato garden on 29th of September. Trespass by 7 head of cattle on complainant’s potato garden on 2nd of October.

1875: Bridget Madigan of Carnanes gave 10 shillings in a fundraising drive to establish the Christian Brothers in Kilrush and fund a new school; a listing of at least 100 names. Clare Advertiser and Kilrush Gazette of 6 February 1875.

1885, 27th of July: John Crowley, farmer, of Carnanes vs. Bridget Madigan, farmer, of Carnanes:
Trespass by 6 head of cattle on complainant’s potatoes and mangels on 21st of June. Separate charge for trespass on 21st of July. A mangel is a variety of beet cultivated to feed livestock (of the owner, not his neighbor’s cows).

1885, 27th of September: The Guardians of Kilrush Union vs. Bridget Madigan, of Carnanes:
£4 and 18 shillings due for poor rates.

1887, 31 March: dog license for year ending by Bridget Madigan of Carnanes; for a female, brown, counson (sp?) dog.

New conclusions based upon above evidence:

1) The Mary Madigan of Carnanes who appears in Kilrush petty session records between 1858 and 1863 was likely the mother of Stephen Madigan. Mary and Stephen were dual defendants on 19 January 1863. I had previously stated that Stephen Madigan was likely the son of Luke Madigan (as known from marriage record) and Mary Keane (parents of two daughters in 1829 and 1834 in Kilrush baptism register). When the civil death record for a Mary Madigan, who died in the fourth quarter of 1866, becomes available on-line, my theory could be proven.

2) The widow Bridge Keane Madigan remained in Carnanes after the death of her husband in 1872 until at least 1887. Bridget Madigan, as a defendant whose cows trespass on her neighbors’ fields as well as failure to pay laborers under her employ, was consistent with the charges against Stephen Madigan prior to his death. The widow Bridget Keane Madigan with upwards of 7 head of cattle does not appear to have been poor at all.

3) Stephen Madigan and Bridge Keane Madigan of Carananes most likely lived at Plot 3A and 3B of Carnaun townland which at the time of Griffith Valuation was held by Daniel Madigan; lessor Col. C.M. Vandeleur; house, offices & land; plot 3A was 43 acres; plot 3B was 23 acres; total valuation £25 and 5 shillings.

If my #3 theory is accurate, not sure how Plot 3 of Carnaun townland was passed from Daniel Madigan to Mary Madigan / Stephen Madigan. At the time of the Tithe Applotments of 23 December 1826, it appears that Carnaun townland (and likely many others) was incorporated into Carnacalla townland with a large number of tenants. Listed first for the townland were three Brews (John & George, Nathan) and then seven Madigans (Timothy, John, Denis, Sinon, Luke, Mathew, Michael).

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... sh_tab.htm
https://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalar ... _00519.pdf

There were other Madigans reported on the Tithes for Carnacalla, but no Daniel Madigan. He also does not appear in the Kilrush marriage (1829-1881) or baptism registers (1827-1863) of the Catholic parish. The Clare Library has the 1921 / 1926 rate books for Scariff, when similar rate books or cancellation books become available for Kilrush, more evidence as to the identity of Daniel Madigan of Plot 3 might become known.

However, the petty session reports provide evidence that Mary and Stephen Madigan, and then Bridget Keane Madigan lived at Plot 3A and also leased land at Plot 3B. Michael (Thomas) Brew and Thomas Brew were frequently the complainants against the Madigans claiming that their cows trespassed on the Brew fields. At 1855 Griffith Valuation, Michael (Thomas) Madigan lived at Plot 5. The Madigan holdings at Plot 3A and Plot 3B were not contiguous, in between was Plot 5 held by Michael Brew (Thomas). In moving their cattle between their fields at Plot 3A to Plot 3B, it might have been challenging to keep them out of the Brew fields of Plot 5.

Since both Michael (Thomas) Brew and Thomas Brew (who I presumed to be the son of Michael Brew) were complainants against the Madigans as late as 1869 and 1871, respectively, discovering their civil death records should have been easy.

In 1870, the death of Michael Brew (Wm), of Carnanes, farmer, widower, age 69, on 26 August 1877, was reported; informant George Brew, present at death Carnanes (Kilrush registration):

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 206520.pdf

This was Michael Brew (William) of Plot 6 of Carnaun townland. The informant, George Brew, married Anne Fitzpatrick in 1870, and this Brew family was living in Carnaun townland in the 1901 census; their religion was Church of Ireland:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 180852.pdf
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ ... n/1081700/

I assumed, incorrectly, that the other Brews living in Carnaun townland in the 1901 census, Michael Brew (age 30) and his aunt, Mary Brew (age 60), both Catholics, were therefore the descendants of Michael Brew (Thomas) of GV Plot 5. However, this Michael Brew, I am fairly certain, was a descendant of the John Brew of Carnaun townland of GV Plot 8, with Brew relations in Tullycreen townland:

https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ ... n/1081701/
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ ... r/1081310/

I continued my search of the Irish civil death records for Michael Brew (Thomas) and Thomas Brew of Carnanes townland, who filed frequent complaints against the Madigans, but was unsuccessful. The mystery of their disappearance was revealed from searching the ancestry website. Michael Thomas Brew died in 1876 and Thomas Brew died in 1903, not in Ireland, but both in Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/156 ... homas_brew
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/156 ... erine-brew
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/156 ... homas-brew

There are over 40 family trees on the ancestry website for Michael Thomas Brew who married Catherine Pilkington at St. Senan’s Church of Ireland on 20 July 1826, according to their research. It appears that many of the Brew children left for Australia. Evidence that was lacking in these family trees was the passenger listing to Australia and a civil death record for Michael Thomas Brew (≈1795 – 1876), both which are typically available in Australian records. Michael Thomas Brew was living in Carnanes townland as late as 1869 and likely later. Did he really go to Australia when he was at least age 75?

Yes, I was able to find the passenger listing. Michael Brew, “age 60”, Catherine Brew, “age 58”, agriculture laborers, departed Plymouth on 6 September 1876 on the ship Duntrune and arrived in South Australia on 29 November 1876 (date per all newspaper accounts available on trove archive; ancestry website stating November 5th must be in error). On the same page of the passenger listing were Thomas Brew (age 32), Susan Brew (age 30), and their children: Jane (age 9), Kate (age 7), John (age 4), Susan (age 3, who died on the journey), and Maria (an infant). Michael Thomas Brew was not age 60, but over 80 years old when he arrived in Australia on 29 November 1876. He died less than one month later on 23 December 1876.

I could have skipped the unsuccessful search for Michael Brew (Thomas) in the Irish civil death records, if I had first read two postings by Paddy Waldron: “The Many Michael Brews of Kilrush” from 2012, and “Brew, Donnellan, Purcell, West Clare, 1888” from 2013 (both postings prior to civil records becoming available on-line) where Paddy summarizes his research into the confusing Brew families of Kilrush:

http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... a0a9#p6677
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... a0a9#p7794

Sheila, the fact that Michael Thomas Brew left Carnanes for South Australia in 1876 at the age of 80 was a big surprise. But it also now makes me wonder if Bridget Keane Madigan, last seen in Carnanes in 1887, followed her children to America in the 1890’s. Bridget Keane Madigan would have been relatively young, in her fifties in the 1890’s (she was 30 years old when married in 1868). The journey to America in the 1890’s was not a difficult one. Is there no Irish civil death record for a Bridget or Delia Madigan of Carnanes because she had left for America? Will Bridget Madigan be found on a New York or Boston passenger listing? Of course, we should search for Bridget assuming her reported age was ten or so years younger than her true age.

The family of Stephen Madigan and Bridget Keane Madigan of Carnanes appear to have been, at least at one time, prosperous farmers. They had many cows and hired farm laborers and servants. Why did none of the Madigan children remain on their lands at Carnanes in Kilrush?

Sheila, finally with your expertise at deciphering handwriting from your tireless transcription of so many of the Clare parish records, could you please give your opinion on the dog breed that Bridget Madigan paid for a dog license in 1887? It appears to be the same breed as the licenses paid by Stephen Madigan in the late 1860’s. Whatever the breed, from the numerous petty session complaints against the Madigans, it appears not to have been very effective in keeping their cows off their neighbors' own lands.

Note: "board attachment quota has been reached". Transcribed an old newspaper clipping attachment (160KB), which then was deleted along with an old google map (160KB), but still cannot add this small attachment (23 KB). My deletions might take time to come into effect, so will try to attach later on.

To be continued,

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:00 am

Hi Jimbo

Thank you for that great post on the Madigans and the Brews. No love lost between that lot, I think!
Yes, Paddy Waldron has done a lot of work sorting out the Brews in and around Kilrush. In a contributions on the topic of “Margaret Brew, 19th century Kilrush authoress” (http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=4751), he flags the One Name Study on the Brews – see page 2 of the topic: http://brew.clients.ch/brew.htm. That Brew website was last updated in 2007 – a long time ago - but has a lot of useful information. The database for Australia has very little on Brews in Adelaide, but enough to show that there were some Brews there in the late 19th century: http://brew.clients.ch/adhospreg.htm#Hospital.
The database for Ireland has a section on Brew houses (source: Hugh W. L. Weir) and includes a Brew house in Carnanes: http://brew.clients.ch/irhouses.htm#Residences.(note: the "Carnaun, Killilagh" bit is a mistake. There was another Carnaun in Killilagh parish)

Jimbo, enough work has been done on the Brews – stay with the Madigans.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:43 am

Hi Sheila,

Researching the family of Michael Brew, son of Thomas, of Carnaun townland Plot 5, provided key evidence that Stephen Madigan and Bridget Keane Madigan lived at Carnaun townland Plot 3A with land at Plot 3B. At 1855 Griffith Valuation, Plots 3A and 3B were held by a Daniel Madigan.

Sheila, in double checking your transcriptions of the Kilrush baptism register (1827-1863), I see now that a “Thomas Madagan” was baptized on 19 July 1828 to Daniel Madigan and Mary Carmody. But unfortunately no residence was reported in the baptism record.

After the Brews of Carnaun townland left Ireland for Adelaide in September 1876, the petty session complaints against the widow Bridget Keane Madigan really dropped off. Along with the Brews’ departure I suspect another contributing factor was that the Madigan children would have been old enough to look after the cattle. Thomas Madigan, possibly the Sergeant Major who died in Denver, would have turned eight years old in 1876, and, if carrying a big stick, should have been able to keep the family cattle on the Madigan lands in Carnanes.

Sheila, I will reluctantly follow your direction to “stay with the Madigans” and not share the story of Michael Brew of Carnanes, which was described in the Dublin Evening Telegraph as a “Strange Story” and by the British press as a “Modern Rip Van Winkle”. Sheila, as a modern Irishwoman I suspect that you do not believe in Irish ghosts. However, back in the day, William Butler Yeats (1865-1939) was a firm believer in the haunting ghosts of Ireland:
Ghosts, or as they are called in Irish Thevshi or Tash (taidhbhse, tais) live in a state intermediary between this life and the next. They are held there by some earthly longing or affection, or some duty unfulfilled, or anger against the living. . . . . They go about moving the furniture, and in every way trying to attract attention.

"Ghosts", from "Fairy and Folk Tales of the Irish Peasantry", 1888, W. B. Yeats (page 128).
Michael Brew of Carnanes, I reckon, is a haunting ghost still living in a “state intermediary between this life and the next”. He would like to interrupt our search for Sergeant Major Thomas Madigan to attract attention to his own “strange story”, with its unresolved anger and duty unfulfilled, such that he might finally rest in peace. In a spooky coincidence, Michael Brew’s story was reported by the Irish and British newspapers in February 1924, exactly 100 years ago this month.

Just one comment with regards to the Brews who went to Adelaide, upon further review, one Brew family tree on the ancestry website had discovered the passenger listing from 1876 with an 80-year old Michael Brew reported as only 60 years old. This 20 year difference in age has likely been the stumbling block for the other 40 or so family trees to discover the 1876 passenger listing. They were all able to trace their ancestors back several generations in Kilrush.

The ancestry website has two different passenger listings for the ship Duntrune’s arrival in South Australia. One listing from the government of South Australia with an arrival indexed as 5 November 1876; and a separate listing entitled “certificate of arrival” with an arrival date of 29 November 1876 which agrees to all newspaper accounts, including the below article:
ARRIVAL OF THE DUNTRUNE

The Duntrune reached the anchorage on Wednesday afternoon, November 29, with 486 Government immigrants. On the Assistant Health Officer hailing the ship it was reported that had been several cases of measles during the voyage; and although of a mild form the rule forbid anyone but the pilot boarding until after the Health Officer’s inspection, therefore those persons who went off with a view of welcoming the new arrivals were somewhat disappointed at the turn of events. The Surgeon-Superintendent reported that during the passage there had been several cases of measles, but the disease was now abating, and that only one death from that source had occurred, although there had been 11 from other causes [including 3-year old Susan Brew on Oct. 24th of TB]. There were two births on the way out, which bring up the number to 486, all of whom are in good order except those who will doubtless be removed to the quarantine hulk Fitzjames. The Duntrune is a very fine iron ship of recent mould and construction, and last year she loaded wheat at Port Pirie. The following is the official list of emigrants embarked at Plymouth:—

Married couples:—. . . M. Brew, 60, agricultural labourer and wife; . . . Thos. Brew, 31, farmer, wife and 5 children; . . .

South Australian Register, Adelaide, Thursday, 30 November 1876 (source: trove newspaper archive).
Bridget Madigan of Carnanes appears on the Kilrush dog register ending 31 March 1887. She would have paid for the license by 1 April 1886; thus it is possible that Bridget left Ireland in late 1886. I did search the 31 March 1888 dog register for Kilrush, but Bridget Madigan was not reported. This does not mean that she had left Kilrush as Bridget does not appear to have been very diligent in consistently paying for an annual dog license.

Mary Madigan, the daughter of Bridget Keane Madigan, was reported in a home for the aged in Manhattan in the 1930 census. It is possible that Bridget Keane Madigan never left Kilrush, but, similar to her daughter, was living in the Kilrush workhouse in the 1901 census. There were seven females with the initials B and M living in the Kilrush workhouse in Ballyarra townland in 1901. Three or so would have been of an appropriate age to be Bridget Keane Madigan, and quite possibly be the mother of Sergeant Major Thomas Madigan.

https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ ... renLiving=

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:33 am

Oh Do share the ghost story about Michael Brew!
Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:13 am

Hi Jimbo, again

Bridget Madigan may have been one of the B. Ms in the census for the Kilrush Union hospital, but then her name would have been given in full in the Kilrush death records; I haven't found one that fits.

This Bridget Madigan died in her own bed in Carnacalla in 1932. Her age (92) fits well with Bridget who was aged 30 in 1868, but I don't think she is the right one, i.e. the widow of Stephen Madigan:
20 Aug 1932, Carnacalla: Death of Bridget Madigan, widow, aged 92; informant: Mary Madigan, daughter-in-law, Carnacalla: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 321811.pdf
I think she must be Bridget who was aged 70 in 1911 and wife of Thomas Madigan: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... th/363683/
The search goes on.

Jimbo, just a minor correction: on the previous page you mention that the death of Stephen Madigan in 1872 was reported by Mary Madigan, but it was reported by Mary Clancy of Burton Street, Kilrush: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 270995.pdf. Mary Clancy was a nurse according to the 1901 census ( http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... t/1081926/ ) and probably employed by the Madigans at the time that Stephen was dying - more evidence that the Madigans were fairly comfortably off.

Sheila

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:40 am

STRANGE STORY.
Man’s Mind an Absolute Blank
ACTION AGAINST RELATIVE.

A strange story from the Co. Clare was enfolded in the Dail Eireann Courts (Winding Up) Commission to-day, when an action was heard before the Commissioners Creed Meredith, Crowley and McDevitt, in which Michael Brew sought to set aside his lands of about 25 acres, at Carianes [Carnanes or Carnaun], Kilrush, to John Brew in October, 1915.

District Judge Davitt had decided in favour of the plaintiff, and the present action was brought on appeal.

Opening the case Mr. George O’Connor (instructed by Mr. Michael Killeen) for the plaintiff, said connected with the action was the most extraordinary set of circumstances ever heard in any court. Michael Brew, the plaintiff, and John Brew, the defendant, were relatives. Michael Brew had a holding of about 25 acres in fee simple, and was the registered owner, the poor law valuation of the holding being £17 10 s. He continued to live with a very old aunt of his. About 1914 he got a little queer in his head. In March 1915, the aunt died. She was then about 84 years of age. After that he acted after the manner of a man out of his mind. Later he was brought bodily from his holding to the house of the defendant and then taken to the solicitor’s office in Kilrush, where the agreement which he impeached, was made under extraordinary circumstances, because Michael Brew himself did not remember one word or a single thing about it.

His mind was an absolute blank, and the affair read like a chapter out of Rip Van Winkle.

By the agreement his entire holding was transferred to John Brew’s son, or in case of the latter’s death then to John Brew himself. John Brew got the holding, for his son was a minor. He got it in condition that he would support the plaintiff during life and arrange for his burial. For several years the holding was used by John Brew without the plaintiff’s having any knowledge of the fact.

KNEW NOTHING.

For two years the plaintiff had been completely blank and about Christmas 1916 he awoke from his extraordinary stupor. He knew nothing about the events that had occurred during that period, such as the rebellion of 1916, or other occurrences that would be certain to remain in the memory of any ordinary man. When he woke up he looked about him and found himself in a strange place. He saw a little girl and he asked her: “what place is this and what year is it?” This occurred in a room in the house of John Brew. Plaintiff next asked for clothes but he did not get them.

During the years 1917, 1918, 1919 and 1920 he was kept in the house and during that time not a soul in the Co. Clare ever saw him. He was allowed to walk about the kitchen or the yard. He was given clothes when he threatened to cry out from his room on hearing any stranger in the kitchen. In 1920 he was getting better and he went into Kilrush with John Brew. Here he inquired about a sum of £83 which he had on deposit in the bank, but he was told by the manager of the bank that the money was withdrawn by John Brew and himself (the plaintiff) two years before. About six months afterwards plaintiff was again in Kilrush, and then decided on a certain course of action. He left John Brew and refused to return. That was in July, 1920. Proceedings were initiated in the District Court by the plaintiff, with the object of recovering the holding.

FAMILY ARRANGEMENT.

Mr. M. Kenny, K.C. (instructed by Messrs. Michael O’Shea and Co.) for the defence, said that this was an arrangement between the Brew family to settle the matter of the holding of the plaintiff, to secure that it remains in the family. The plaintiff was kept as a hospital patient for 4 or 5 years. He was carefully attended to, and he had his ministrations of religion.

The Chief Commissioner said no case had been made out that he had not been properly treated. He observed, however, that “what year is it” was a rather strange remark to make by a man who had lost his memory for so long.

Mr. O’Connor—When he woke from his stupor he saw the little girl, Jane Brew, putting up holly and ivy for Christmas, and made that remark.

Chief Commissioner—Suppose you went to sleep for two years, wouldn’t you think that when you awoke that it was only the day before you went to sleep? (laughter).

Mr. O’Connor, in further remarks, stated the plaintiff, after leaving John Brew, went to live with other people of his own free will.

Mr. Kenny—He went to live with another cousin.

Proceeding, Mr. Kenny stated he was greatly handicapped that he had not the benefit of his brief or his solicitor in the Court. The man Michael Brew was in a bad state of health, but he was extremely well taken care of while in his client’s house. That fact was proved as the man recovered his health completely.

The Court decided to adjourn the case for a month in the hope of a settlement.

Dublin Evening Telegraph, Tuesday, 26 February 1924.

What I found most interesting in the above news article is that a court action from February 1924, 100 years ago, could provide evidence that two Brews, born in Kilrush prior to the 1827 start of the Kilrush baptism records, were siblings.

Michael Brew of Carnanes was noted above to have a farm of about 25 acres with a poor law valuation of £17 and 10 shillings. This acreage and valuation is identical to Griffith Valuation of Carnaun townland holding of John Brew of Plot 8.

Michael Brew of 1924 was definitely the grandson of John Brew of Plot 8. He was the son of Michael Brew and Eliza Brew born in 1862. His parents married in 1860, prior to the 1864 start of civil marriage records. And thus, unfortunately, it is not clear if either Michael or Eliza was the child of John Brew of Plot 8.

I’ve concluded that Michael Brew (married to Eliza Brew) was the son of John Brew, since the first born son of Michael Brew and Eliza Brew was named John in 1861, and their second born son in 1862 was named Michael (“of 1924”), following Irish naming traditions. However, Eliza Brew had a brother named Michael Brew, a bachelor, and it is entirely possible that they are the children of John Brew of Plot 8. In the 1860 marriage, if Michael Brew “married in” perhaps the first born son was named after the maternal grandfather on whose land they were living?

The land cancellation books for Carnaun townland might provide conclusive evidence. If Plot 8 passed from John Brew to Michael Brew (the bachelor), and then when this Michael Brew died in 1885, if there was a cancellation to his brother-in-law Michael Brew (then a widower of Eliza) or directly to his nephew Michael Brew (“of 1924”), then it would prove that my conclusion is incorrect, and Eliza Brew, married to Michael Brew in 1860, was the daughter of John Brew of Plot 8. However, since everyone post-John Brew was named Michael Brew, it is possible that there were no changes in the cancellation book since the lease holder remained a Michael Brew (although possibly three different individuals).

The identity of the defendant in the 1924 court action, John Brew of Tullycrine, is completely clear in comparison. Alice Brew, daughter of John Brew of Carnanes, married Michael Brew, son of John Brew of Tullycrine, in 1855. Michael Brew was a Protestant so this 1855 marriage has a civil marriage record and the fathers of the bride and groom are reported (unlike the 1860 marriage of Eliza Brew and Michael Brew). John Brew, the defendant in 1924, was their son born in 1862.

There are several family trees on the ancestry website for the Tullycrine Brews, but no information on Alice Brew, other than she was the daughter of John Brew of Carnanes. Sheila, from viewing the website links you shared on the Brews, it appears much of the research has been done on the Brew families who were Protestant, and less or none on the Brew families who were Catholic, such as John Brew of Carnanes townland.

In the 1924 court action, it was stated that Michael Brew had left the household of John Brew of Tullycrine in 1920, and was then living with “another cousin”. I reckon Michael Brew had moved from a paternal cousin to a maternal cousin (or vice versa since not 100% which of his parents was a child of John Brew of Carnanes). Obtaining the 1926 Ireland census, which will become available on-line in April 2026, might provide an important clue as to who this cousin might be, assuming that Michael Brew was still living there two years after the 1924 court action.

I researched the John Brew family tree of Carnanes and it is still a mystery who “another cousin” might have been in 1924.

Descendants of John Brew of Carnanes:

Griffith Valuation Plot 8 in Carnauan Townland, Kilrush Parish; 25 acres, 3 rood, 36 perch; valuation £17 and 10 shillings; landlord, Col. C.M. Vandeleur.

His wife might have been a Catherine Brew; see mother of children starting in 1827.

1.0 Margaret Brew (≈1820 – unknown)

Margaret Brew, daughter of John Brew, of Carnanes, married Martin Barry, of Killard Parish, on 27 February 1840 at her father’s house; witnesses John Brew and Thady Brew. The Catholic priest in the Kilrush marriage register of 1829-1881 occasionally provided the father of the bride and/or groom, which was very helpful and rare among Catholic parishes.

The Killard (Doonbeg) Parish baptism register doesn’t start until 1855. A Martin Barry and Catherine O’Neill of Clohanes baptized a daughter in 1856 (their only child in the Killard register). Possibly, Margaret Brew had died and the widow Martin Barry had remarried? Killard parish marriage records don’t start until 1867, so unable to confirm this theory.

The later whereabouts of Martin Barry and Catherine O’Neill are documented in over 60 family trees on the ancestry website (none that I viewed have a first marriage with Margaret Brew). Catherine Barry (age 29) and her children, Bridget (age 10), David (7), Ellen (5), and Michael (1), arrived in Melbourne on 11 December 1863 on the ship Maryborough. Martin Barry must have arrived earlier and the couple went on to have seven more children in Victoria. He died in 1883 at the age of 62 (per Australian death index) and is buried in Ballarat Old Cemetery. Not sure why the findagrave website states a birth year of 1829, given the death record (there is no headstone). If born in 1821, Martin Barry would have been old enough to have been married first to Margaret Brew in 1840.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/210 ... rtin_barry

2.0 Alice Brew (≈1821 – 1903) would have been born about 1821 based upon her age at death; prior to the 1827 start of the Kilrush baptism register. <Tullycreen Upper, Tullycreen, House 16, x>

Alice Brew, daughter of John Brew, of Carnanes, married Michael Brew, son of John Brew, of Tullycrine, on 15 February 1855 at the Church of Ireland in Kilrush by the vicar Joseph F. Hobbins; witnesses Elijah Hadley and James Pilkington. Alice Brew was a Catholic (per 1901 census), and given the Church of Ireland marriage, Michael Brew a Protestant. Thus there is a civil marriage record in 1855, see link below. There was not a separate Catholic marriage ceremony, but one was not required for the marriage to be valid in the Catholic Church at that time (Sheila, we recently discussed this issue in the Thomas McNamara thread referencing Ignatius Murphy).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 439995.pdf

A Michael Brew was living at the time of Griffith Valuation in Plot 3a of Tullycreen Upper townland in Kilmurry Parish; house, offices & land; 29 plus acres; valuation £12 and 15 shillings; landlord Col. C.M. Vandeleur.

A Michael Brew, age 57, died in Kilrush in 1870 (on-line civil death registration not yet available). Alice Brew, of Tullycrine, widow of a farmer, 80 years old, died on 16 July 1903; informant John Brew, her son (Kilrush registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 590844.pdf

Michael Brew (≈1813 – 1870) and Alice Brew (≈1821 – 1903) of Tullycrine were the parents of three children, all baptized as Catholic in Kilrush parish:

............ 2.1 Catherine Brew (1857 - 1915), of Tullycrine, was baptized on 30 July 1857; sponsors Michael Brew and Mary Brew (Kilrush baptism register, 1827-1863). <Tullycreen Upper, Tullycreen, House 16, House 6>

In the 1901 census, Kate Brew (“age 34”) was living with her mother, Alice Brew (age 80), and brother, John Brew (age 35). In the 1911 census, Catherine Brew (“age 59”) was living with her brother John Brew, now married with a wife and seven children. She died at Kilrush Union Hospital on 30 July 1915 (Kilrush registration).

............ 2.2 Mary Brew (1860 - 1881), of Tullycrine, was baptized on 24 January 1860; sponsor Eliza Brew (Kilrush baptism register, 1827-1863). Mary Brew, of Tullycrine, age 20, died on 1 June 1881; informant was John Brew (Kilrush registration).

............ 2.3 John Brew (1862 - 1940), of Tullycrine, was baptized on 6 September 1862; sponsors John Brew and Anne Brew (Kilrush baptism register, 1827-1863). <Tullycreen Upper, Tullycreen, House 16, House 6>

John Brew, farmer of Kilmurry, son of farmer Michael Brew, married Mary Jane McInerney, of Cree, daughter of farmer Patrick McInerney (and Jane Casey per Kilmacduane parish baptism), on 28 April 1903, at the Catholic chapel at Cree, by the curate D. McNamara; witnesses Pat Burns and Lizzie Green.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 726523.pdf

John Brew (1862 – 1940) and Mary Jane McInerney (1872 – 1952) were living in Tullycreen townland in the 1911 census, along with their seven children and John’s sister, Catherine Brew:

........................ 2.3.1 Alice Brew (age 7 in 1911) <Tullycreen Upper, Tullycreen, x, House 6>
........................ 2.3.2 Jane Brew (age 6 in 1911) in 1916 was putting up holly and ivy for Christmas when Michael Brew (her father’s cousin) woke up from his two-year stupor and remarked “what year is it” according to 1924 newspaper accounts. <Tullycreen Upper, Tullycreen, x, House 6>
........................ 2.3.3 Catherine Brew (age 5 in 1911) <Tullycreen Upper, Tullycreen, x, House 6>
........................ 2.3.4 Helena Brew (age 4 in 1911) <Tullycreen Upper, Tullycreen, x, House 6>
........................ 2.3.5 Michael Brew (age 3 in 1911) <Tullycreen Upper, Tullycreen, x, House 6>
........................ 2.3.6 Margaret Brew (age 2 in 1911) <Tullycreen Upper, Tullycreen, x, House 6>

........................ 2.3.7 Mary Brew (age 0 in 1911) was born on 8 January 1911 in Tullycrine (Kilrush civil registration). <Tullycreen Upper, Tullycreen, x, House 6> UPDATE: In the “1939 England and Wales Register”, Mary F. Brew, single, born on 8 January 1911, was a trained nurse at a residence at 11 Grange Road in Ealing, London. She was one of eight nurses, along with two servants and eight patients at the facility. On the 1939 Register, “Brew” had been crossed out and replaced with “McCaul”. “M”, as in “Married”, had been written to the far left of her name. Four of the eight nurses on Grange Road would marry during the war, with their surnames updated, and had an “M” scribbled on the 1939 register. Per the England & Wales Civil Registration Marriage Index, Mary Brew had married Michael McCaul in the third quarter of 1942 (Brentford district). Mary Brew McCaul survived the London Blitz. In 1952 she returned to Clare to nurse her widowed mother, who died on 5 April 1952, at the age of 79, at Latoon House, Newmarket on Fergus. Mary McCaul’s address on the death record was Aubrey Lodge, Aubrey Road, Kensington.

........................ 2.3.8 Patrick Brew (1912) was born on 22 March 1912 (Kilrush registration; transcribed as “Bren”; correction submitted).
........................ 2.3.9 Anthony Brew (1913) was born on 24 August 1913.
........................ 2.3.10 George Brew (1915) was born on 20 February 1915.

3.0 Ellen Brew (≈1825 – 1889? 1890?), an estimated birth year of 1825 based solely on her marriage year of 1856, one year after Alice Brew got married (with an estimated birth year of 1822). No baptism record as it was prior to the 1827 start of the Kilrush baptism register.

Michael Carrig, of “Goure”, married Ellen Brew, of Carnanes, on 4 February 1856; witnesses Michael Markham and Mort Carrig (Kilrush marriage register, 1829-1881). Their marriage was prior to the 1864 start of civil marriage records for Catholics. And, unlike for Alice Brew, there is no pre-1864 civil marriage record and thus neither bride nor groom was a Protestant. It is only a possibility that Ellen Brew was the daughter of John Brew; the sole evidence being that she was from Carnanes according to her Catholic marriage record (and not a daughter of the two Brew families of Carnanes, GV Plots 5 & 6, who were Protestant).

Michael Carrig of “Goure” was living in Gower North, Cooraclare in the 1901 census. After becoming a widower, Michael Carrig had remarried a Mary Dixon on 20 September 1891 and by the 1901 census was the father of two children.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 891697.pdf
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ ... h/1080641/

Michael Carrig and Ellen Brew had no children reported in Kilmacduane Parish baptism records (where Gower townland is located). Michael Carrig was reported to be age 62 in 1901 (reflecting a birth year of 1838) and died in 1908 at the reported age of 72 (reflecting a birth year of 1836). Mary Dixon Carrig was only 37 years old in 1901. Michael Carrig, married to a much younger woman, likely fibbed his age considerably and was born closer to 1825.

Ellen Carrig of Gower appears in the Kilrush petty sessions on 28 October 1889, the last known record of her existence. The complainant was the Province Bank of Ireland and the complaint was that Ellen Carrig had failed to give up the house at Gower which the bank had allowed her to be in as caretaker. In the Kilmacduane register, the only Ellen Carrig was the wife of Michael Carrig of Gower. Michael Carrig, widower, married two years later on 20 September 1891. Mysteriously, I could not locate the civil death record for Ellen Brew Carrig between 1889 and 1891 which would provide her age at death.

4.0 Michael Brew (≈1826 – 1892) would have been born about 1826 based upon his age at death; prior to the 1827 start of the Kilrush baptism register.

Michael Brew, no residence reported, married Eliza Brew, of Carnanes, on 20 February 1860; witnesses Michael and Michael Brew (Kilrush marriage register, 1829-1881). They were reported to be 4th and 4th consanguinity, or third cousins. Their marriage was prior to the 1864 start of civil marriage records for Catholics. And, unlike for Alice Brew, there is no pre-1864 civil marriage record and thus neither bride nor groom was a Protestant.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 5/mode/1up

The evidence that Michael Brew was the son of John Brew (versus Eliza Brew being the daughter of John Brew) was that their first born son was named John, after his paternal grandfather. Eliza Brew had a brother named Michael Brew, who was likely one witness at the 1860 marriage. The other witness, also named Michael Brew, was likely the father of Eliza and her brother. Evidence being that the second born son of Michael Brew and Eliza Brew was a Michael, named after his maternal grandfather.

Bessie Brew, of Carnanes, married, 40 years old, wife of a farmer, died on 20 July 1879; informant Michael Brew. A headstone for Eliza “Bessie” Brew was erected by her brother, Michael Brew, at the Church of Ireland graveyard in Kilrush (see further discussion below). Thirteen years later, Michael Brew, of Carnanes, a laborer, widower, 65 years old, died on 23 January 1892 at the Kilrush workhouse (hospital); informant James O’Dwyer of the workhouse.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 869573.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 721237.pdf

Michael Brew (≈1826 - 1892) and Eliza Brew (≈1839 – 1879) of Carnanes were the parents of two children:

............ 4.1 John Brew (1861 - 1866), no residence reported, was baptized on 4 January 1861; sponsors Michael Brew and Mary Brew (Kilrush baptism register, 1827-1863).

A John Brew died in 1866 at the age of 5 years old per Kilrush registration (on-line record not yet available).

............ 4.2 Michael Brew (1862 - 1934), of Carnanes, was baptized on 28 April 1862; sponsors Michael Brew and Miss Brew (Kilrush baptism register, 1827-1863). <Carnaun, Kilrush, House 7, House 2>

Michael Brew was living in Carnaun townland with his aunt, Mary Brew, in the 1901 and 1911 census. Between 1915 and 1920 he was looked after by his cousin, John Brew, of Tullycrine townland. See newspaper account at start of posting.

Michael Brew, of Kilrush, bachelor, 70 years old, died on 25 June 1934, at the County Home in Ennis; informant Peter Moran, occupier, of Co. Home, Ennis (Ennis registration).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 304477.pdf

** Probably, the above Brew children #1 through #4, all born prior to the 1827 start of the Kilrush baptism register, were the children of John Brew and Catherine Brew who baptized three of their children in Kilrush parish between 1827 and 1833. Unfortunately, no residence was reported in these baptism entries. Their youngest child, Mary born in 1833, was likely the Mary Brew living with her nephew, Michael Brew (4.2 above), in Carnaun in the 1901 and 1911 census — strong evidence for this theory.

5.0 Eliza Brew (1827 – unknown), no residence reported, was baptized on 3 December 1827; sponsors George Brew and Mary Higgins (Kilrush baptism register, 1827-1863).

Her age would be off by a good 10 years from the Eliza Brew who died in 1879 at the reported age of 40 years, but was she the Eliza Brew of Carnanes who married Michael Brew in 1860?

6.0 Catherine Brew (1830 – unknown), no residence reported, was baptized on 7 April 1830; sponsors Pat Hanley and Mary Duggan (Kilrush baptism register, 1827-1863).

7.0 Mary Brew (1833 – 1915), no residence reported, was baptized on 23 July 1833; sponsors Michael Brew and Catherine Keane (Kilrush baptism register, 1827-1863). <Carnaun, Kilrush, House 7, House 2>

Mary Brew was reported as the aunt living with her nephew Michael Brew in Carnaun townland in the 1901 census (age 60) and 1911 census (age 74). She died on 15 March 1915 in Carnanes at the age 84 years old; informant Michael Brew, nephew. Her death in 1915 was noted in the “Strange Story” news article from 1924 at the start of the posting.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 465782.pdf

Brew Headstone:

When Eliza Brew, husband of Michael Brew of Carnanes, died on 20 July 1879, her brother, also named Michael Brew, paid for her headstone in the Church of Ireland graveyard in Kilrush. Transcriptions of the C of I graveyard in Kilrush were made by the Kilrush Youth Centre and Senan Scanlan and are available at the Clare Library website:

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ptions.htm
IHS Erected by Michael Brew Carnanes in memory of his beloved sister Eliza who died July 14th 72 aged 40 years. Also Father, Mother, Brother, Nephew. May all RIP. (Location: Could be 239)
Understandably, the old headstones would be difficult to read, and the year of Eliza Brew’s death was in the year 1879, and not in 1872. “July 14th” is very close to “July 20th” the date on the civil death record.

Despite its name, it appears that Catholics were also buried at the Church of Ireland graveyard in Kilrush. On the transcription listing, for example, the McNamara’s of Ballykett were Catholics according to the census records. Also, I think maybe, that “IHS”, the Greek term for Jesus, on several headstones is a Catholic thing, but I could be wrong. Therefore, I still believe that Eliza Brew, married in the Catholic parish of Kilrush to Michael Brew in 1860, was a Catholic despite being buried at the C of I graveyard.

As per its headstone transcription, the location of Eliza Brew’s headstone could be #239, which might provide a few clues on family relationships or just raise more questions. #238 was “Erected by Richard C. Brew, Kilrush, in memory of his brother George C. Brew Carnacalla . . . [other names]“. #237 was “Erected by Mr. James Brew of Moyadda in memory of his beloved wife Catherine Brew who died on 9th day of March 1816 aged 44 yrs”.

Headstone Brew Family Tree:

Father and Mother died prior to 1879 as “RIP” noted on daughter Eliza’s headstone. Father was likely a Michael Brew (possibly a witness at his daughter Eliza Brew’s wedding in 1860). The second born son of Eliza Brew was named Michael, after this maternal grandfather?

1. Michael Brew (≈1825 – 1885), of Carnanes, farmer, bachelor, 60 years old, died on 27 October 1885; informant Michael Brew (likely his brother-in-law, the widower of Eliza Brew). He paid for the headstone of his sister who died in 1879.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 795030.pdf

2. Eliza Brew (≈1839 – 1879) married Michael Brew (≈1826 - 1892) in 1860 (as per prior family tree). Two children. Their son, John Brew, who died in 1866, was the “Nephew” referenced in the Brew headstone.

For Eliza Brew, both the headstone and her civil death record reflect a birth year of about 1839. But why is there no Catholic baptism record in Kilrush parish? Could she have been much older? Was she, in fact, the daughter of John Brew and Catherine Brew born in 1827?

3. Michael’s “Brother” who died prior to 1879 (per RIP on headstone)
…………………….. 3.1 Cousin of Michael Brew (1862 – 1934)? At the 1924 court hearing for Michael Brew, the defense attorney, Mr. M. Kenny, stated that Michael was living with “another cousin” (other than John Brew of Tullycrine).

4. Possible other siblings who had not died prior to 1879?
…………………….. 4.1 Cousin of Michael Brew (1862 – 1934)? At the 1924 court hearing for Michael Brew, the defense attorney, Mr. M. Kenny, stated that Michael was living with a “another cousin” (other than John Brew of Tullycrine).

Michael Brew (1862 – 1934) was living in the household of his cousin, John Brew (1862 – 1940) of Tullycrine, between 1915 and 1920, where he was nursed back to health. Of course, Michael Brew was not fed and nursed by John Brew, but by his wife, Mary Jane McInerney Brew (1872 – 1952).

The duchas website contains the School’s Collection whereby Irish school children were instructed to interview their elders for stories of Irish folklore or life in the olden days. Was there any telling of the “Strange Story” of Michael Brew, a modern day Rip Van Winkle? None that I could find, but Mrs. Brew from Tullycrine, contributed 12 stories told presumably to her grandchildren, Bridie Brew and, of course, another Michael Brew:

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/stories?NameKey=mrs-brew

The School’s Collection took place between 1937 and 1939, when Mary Jane McInerney Brew, born in 1872, would have been around 65 to 67 years old. Her age reported in the 12 stories contributed by Mrs. Brew ranged from 69 to 72 years old. Anyways, there is no other Brew living in Tullycreen townland in the 1911 census other than Mary Jane McInerney Brew (age 38) that could possibly be “Mrs. Brew”.

Mrs. Brew was a great storyteller. She tells a short story of Biddy Early, one of 187 stories in the School’s Collection that have been transcribed and linked to Biddy Early.

Most interesting was the story of Patrick Culligan. Briefly, Patrick and his wife had one child. When the child was about 18 months old, the mother died. However, she came back at night in the form of a ghost to look after her young child. One night, Patrick Culligan saw his wife taking care of their daughter and asked her if she could come back to him. His ghostly wife stated “yes” that she would be riding on a horse one evening (not clear when), in front of a group of others, and if Patrick were to pull her off the horse, then she could return to him. Patrick Culligan went to the Catholic priest for holy water and blessed earth. The priest instructed Patrick to throw the earth on his ghostly wife and pull her off the horse. This Patrick Culligan did and his wife returned to him and they had four children. She lived to be a great age.

From Mary Jane Brew’s perspective, the story of her husband’s cousin, Michael Brew, who went to live with them from 1915 to 1920, would have been boring in comparison to the Culligan folklore. This folklore must be an old story since there are no Patrick Culligans reported as a father in the Kilrush baptisms of 1863 to 1881. However, there are a good many in the prior baptism register of 1827 to 1863 where a Patrick Culligan is listed as a father in baptisms with the following mothers: Mary Boland (1), Mary Durnford (6), Anne Eustace (4), Biddy Gearin (2), Biddy Gorman (3), C. Heagarty (1), Margaret Moriarty (1), Ellen O’Donnell (3), Kitty Culligan (1), and Biddy Hassett (1). It would take much more research to determine the Patrick Culligan of Kilrush whose wife died and then returned to him. The identity of the Catholic priest in Kilrush Parish who advised Patrick would be much easier. There could possibly be a hidden meaning to the Patrick Culligan folklore.

Another of the 12 contributions by Mary Jane McInerney Brew of Tullycrine townland was the “Lamentation of Patrick Whelan”. Incredibly, it is the only source of this poem that I could discover on-line. Patrick Whelan was Galway born and executed in 1869 in Ottawa for the assassination of Michael D’Arcy McGee, an Irish-Canadian politician and “Father of Canadian Confederation”. Mrs. Brew stated in her remarks after the poem that Whelan was “executed wrongly for the murder of Darcy Magee”, a commonly held belief. The motivation given by Mrs. Brew that “Magee was a landlord and was a very cruel and bad man” was incorrect. D’arcy McGee was a Catholic and a Young Irelander but in later life held anti-Fenianism views. It was believed that he was assassinated by Fenians for his “shoneenism”. A term I had to look up in trusted Wikipedia:
a pejorative term, used in Ireland from at least the 18th century, to describe Irish people who are viewed as adhering to Anglophile snobbery. Some late 19th and early 20th century Irish nationalist writers, like D. P. Moran (1869–1936), used the term shoneen (Irish: Seoinín), alongside the term West Brit, to characterize those who displayed snobbery, admiration for England or mimicked the English nobility. A stereotypical shoneen also reputedly shows corresponding disdain for Irish nationalism and the decolonization of Irish culture, such as the Irish language and Irish traditional music.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_D%27Arcy_McGee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_J._Whelan

https://www.historicalsocietyottawa.ca/ ... ick-whelan

The ghost of Patrick Whelan, executed in February 1869, coincidentally 155 years ago this month, is commonly believed by the Canadians to still haunt the Ottawa Jail (now a hostel) due to his being unjustly tried and executed for the murder of Thomas D’Arcy McGee.

https://www.torontoghosts.org/index.php ... -st-hostel

Below is the first stanza from the “The Lamentation of Patrick Whelan” contributed by Mary Jane McInerney Brew of Tullycrine as part of the School’s Collection; from 1915 through 1920 Mary Jane Brew nursed back to health Michael Brew, her husband’s cousin from Griffith Valuation Plot 8 of Carnanes townland, who was born in 1862, the same decade as his neighbor in GV Plot 3A, Thomas Madigan, who might possibly be our hero Sergeant Major who died in Denver in 1921.
You feeling hearted Christians
I pray now lend an ear.
To write my lamentation
Is more than I can bear.
I am cut down all in my prime.
By cruel perjury
I forgive the man from out my heart
Who persecuted me.

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4922321/4869879
Edit on 26 Feb 2024: “Mary Jane” not “Margaret” correction; new research on her daughter, Mary Brew McCaul, who was the informant on Mary Jane’s 1952 death record, and living at Aubrey Lodge, Aubrey Road, Kensington, London (photo in link below); added three post-1911 Brew children.

https://www.londonpicturearchive.org.uk ... 8923300388
Last edited by Jimbo on Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:01 pm

I have started reading this thread very, very late to the game, and I am only on page 1 of the postings. You all may be far past this point in the research still needed, but I would be remiss not to mention the resource I found so useful when researching Manitowoc County WI for the Co. Clare immigrants being followed for my own purposes back in the early 2000s. i was delighted to find that the involved privately-maintained website is still up and running: https://www.2manitowoc.com/

So, for further work on this 2022 aspect of the Madigan saga:
The Clare Library has the actual headstone transcription:

Erected by Timothy Madigan, Clooneylissaun in memory of his beloved father Patrick Madigan who died March 22nd 1852 aged 54 years and also his beloved mother Margaret Madigan died Dec 27th 1867 aged 63 years R.I.P.
In loving memory of Denis Madigan, Moneen, Killimer died March 19th 1951 Erected by the Clohessy family R.I.P.

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ptions.htm

Patrick Madigan of "Clonlissane" and Margaret Brown of "Tonavoher" were married in Kilrush on 15 February 1831; witnesses Michael Madigan, Thomas Brown, Ellen Molony (Kilrush Parish marriage records, 1829-1881). The remarks state " 3rd - 3rd consanguinity", so they were second cousins.

Between 1836 and 1841, there were four children baptized of Patrick Madigan and Margaret/Peggy Brown at Kilrush Parish. They likely had other children between 1832 and 1835, including a son named "Timothy" born about 1835 who erected the headstone. "Mary" born in 1841 and "Michael" born in 1836 would be the approximate ages as two of the three siblings who died in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. However, Madigan is a common surname in County Clare, as are "Mary" and "Michael". Also, there appears to be no evidence in USA records linking back to Patrick Madigan and Margaret Brown buried in Killimer cemetery, such as a death record naming their parents. I have some reasonable doubt that the three Madigan siblings who lived in Wisconsin were the children of Patrick Madigan and Margaret Brown.

Their son Timothy Madigan, who erected the headstone for his father, was discussed previously on this forum. A son of Timothy, named Patrick moved to Buffalo, New York...
Here is the obituary of Mary Madigan's widower (he long outlasted her), indicating their Buffalo NY marriage, for which a church register entry may well be found and have the details needed to link Mary to her parents back in Clare:
PAUL MANGIN 87 DIES AT HOME TOWN FRANKLIN
Paul Mangin, a resident of the town of Franklin for the past sixty years,
died at 7 o'clock last evening at the family home at Maple Grove, death
being due to infirmities incident to old age.
Born in County Clare, Ireland, 87 years ago, Mr. Mangin came to this country
in 1852, settling in Buffalo, where he made his home for ten years and married
Miss Maria Madigan. Following the marriage the couple came to Wisconsin and
settled in Maple Grove, where they have resided since.
Funeral services will be held Monday morning at 10 o'clock from the Roman
Catholic church at Maple Grove, Father Casey to officiate at the service.
Burial will take place at the cemetery near the church.
Mr. Mangin is survived by six children, Dan, Martin, Paul, at home; Mrs.
Margaret O'Hearn, Mrs. Catherine Stelzer and Mrs. Constance Mulhall, all of
the town of Frnaklin. One sister, Mrs. Kate Malone of Chicago, and a brother,
Thomas Mangin, of the town of Franklin, also survive.
Manitowoc Herald News, December 29, 1923 P. 2
https://www.2manitowoc.com/55Mobit.html (scroll well down the page)

I have to leave the remaining pages of the saga to another day, but, glancing at those, I see a lot of intensity paying off with great finds. I love it when someone applied in the early 1900s annd a photo was part of the process.

Sharon C.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:47 am

Thank you, Sharon, for joining in the search for the relatives of Thomas Madigan who died in Denver, Colorado, in 1921. As for myself, I must admit to feeling lost at this stage, and of no great help.

Hi Jimbo, thank you for the story about Michael Brew, demanded by me in my last posting. I must admit that I cannot make head nor tail of it. Apart from anything else, the bit about him living with his Brew relatives, unknown to any of the neighbours, is very, very doubtful.
You have done a lot of work in trying to find his cousins among the Kilrush Brews, but it seems to be impossible, and I was glad that you got back to Michael’s cousin, John Brew and John’s wife, Mary Jane McInerney, in the townland of Tullycrine. I enjoyed reading about Patrick Whelan, and I enjoyed reading Mrs Brew’s recital of the lamenttion for Patrick.
I think when you write “Margaret”, you mean “Mary Jane”. The Mary Jane Brew who died in 1952 may be a different Mary Jane, I think: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 177245.pdf

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:41 pm

Jimbo's query:
One news article above stated...that Thomas J. Madigan had died "without relatives". Was this true? How likely is it that an Irishman in the United States has no siblings or cousins or other relatives?
As Sheila Duddy asked, I provide a best guess for John Madigan who (eventually) arranged for Irish-born Thomas Madigan’s gravestone in Denver’s Mount Olivet Cemetery. John Madigan became aware of the opportunity, without cost, for the grave marker installed by the U.S. Veterans Administration. Likely due to his own veteran activities, John learned of the missing marker. In that era, it was enough that he acted out of solidarity as either a veteran himself or a member of the general Madigan lineage. John’s own Irish ancestor was two generations past, but he had known the man, evidenced by the census trail of his birth family, below from latest to oldest relevant data. I believe that John used his formal first name when doing the grave marker application, but otherwise he was known as William, the first-born of Matthew Madigan, an Illinois-born son of Irish immigrant Michael Madigan who took his family to farm Nebraska land (homesteading ?). Matthew however brought his own family to Colorado, to be wage earners.

Sharon C.

May 1942 grave marker application by John Madigan, residing 1062 Fillmore St, Denver on behalf of Thomas Madigan, last served 1919

April 1942 U.S. Army registration card, James Edward Madigan
residence: 710 West 4th St., Denver, Colorado
nearest kin: Mrs. Lila Ulbrich, 210 West 4th St, Denver

1900 CO Arapahoe Co. Denver Ward 16
Madigan
Mat 49 IL parents: Ire mill laborer
Katherine 45 Canada parents: Ire (7 children born, 6 living)
Willie 25 NE farm laborer
James E. 23 NE teamster
__nt (son) 20 NE teamster
Clara 17 NE
Lela M. 10 NE
Leo M. 4 NE

1880 NE Saline Co., Turkey Creek
Madigan
Matthew 30 IL farmer parents: Ireland
Kate 26 Canada parents: Ire
John William 5 NE
James Edward 3 NE
Francis Patrick 7 mos. NE
above family located next to:
Madigan
Michael 77 Ire farmer
Catharine 63 Ire wife
William 23 IL farmer
Mary Ann 20 IL daughter
Last edited by smcarberry on Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:16 pm

Jimbo had wondered:
How likely is it that an Irishman in the United States has no siblings or cousins or other relatives?
No one has yet brought up the existence of another Thomas Madigan b. Dec 1875, who also had a significant connection to Ireland and Jersey City, New Jersey, where he was born. Both men lived out their lives purposefully single, apparently the last of their direct line, without siblings. Both provide an answer to Jimbo's query.

A primary reason to look closely at both the Thomas Madigan (b. Dec 1875 Ireland) who died of tuberculosis in Colorado (a preferred destination for those so afflicted before the era of antibiotics) and the Thomas Madigan born Dec 1875 in Jersey City NJ was to find a way to distinguish the two men, ensuring that Irish Tom had not assumed the NJ man’s identity (see Jimbo’s contribution in this thread on Irish Tom’s using a Jersey City address during his periods of active Army service). I was able to readily find that the Jersey Thomas had lived beyond Irish Tom’s demise, thanks to his time as Hudson County Sheriff starting in 1920. I found him in Sheriff-related news articles through 1924, including his taking vacations in the Catskill Mountains of nearby New York. Today I found New York newspaper mentions of his 1928 death (silence in the Jersey City media, matching lack of any FindaGrave entry for his cemetery.) The parallels between the two Thomases are profound and provide an answer to Jimbo’s question on the reality of people destined to live as the sole and final end of their direct line. My takeaway is that it was a matter of faith and early moral lessons that guided both Irish Tom and Jersey Thomas to leave a lasting legacy despite not having progeny themselves.

The below material is a handy way to illustrate the highlights of Jersey City Thomas, for which there are matching censuses and city directory listings. The dates for his father John Madigan are 1835-1877; with a death at age 42, non-accidental in nature, it is apparent that is was the Madigan line which had diabetes. Thomas's mother died at age 84. I believe the paternal grandmother in the below bio was nee Shannon or Shanahan, not Shannock.

Sharon C.

On Google Books:
Encyclopedia of New Jersey Biography, Memorial and Biographical (American Historical Society, 1923).
pp. 245-46

Madigan, Thomas
County Official
...in the public service of in Hudson county, New Jersey, Thomas Madigan, of Jersey City, bears an important part...as sheriff of this county. Mr. Madigan is of Irish descent, his paternal grandparents, Patrick and Bridget (Shannock) Madigan, living and dying in that country. John Madigan, one of their eight children, was born in...County Clare...in the year 1835, and came to the United States when a young [sic] man, and settled in Jersey City. He was active in the trucking business until his death. John Madigan...married, in St. Michael’s Church...Nora Burke, daughter of Patrick and Nora (O’Day) Burke, and Thomas was their only child. The father’s death, which occurred on July 17, 1877, left the mother and child alone; the mother’s devotion and care...inspired..her son…

Thomas Madigan was born in Jersey City, at the little home at No. 210 Thirteenth street, on December 20, 1875...[A]t ten years of age he began remunerative employment at Lorrillard’s box shop….and for some time attended Lorrillard’s night school at the corner of Newark avenue and Grove street. While still employed in the box shop, Mr. Madigan made acquaintances in political circles, and won his way into their confidence and respect. He soon secured a position in...the street department...From this humble position he worked his way upward in the service of the city...His next step upward was to the position of court attendant...After a time he was appointed process server, then under sheriff, then in 1920 he was nominated for the office of sheriff. His election was the marked example of...an honorable record and respected name...Mr. Madigan being the only man on the ticket elected [as a Democrat in Hudson County]….The one cloud on Mr. Madigan’s success in the contest was the death of his beloved mother at the age of eighty-four years. Born in County Clare, Ireland, and coming to the United States with an older brother when she was a young girl, she...always sustained..her Christian faith. Mr. Madigan never married, giving his mother his undivided companionship. He is a member of ..the Order of Elks, the...Order of Eagles, the...Foresters, and the...Order of Moose, also of the Holy Name Society of St. Michael’s Roman Catholic Church. The family always belonged to this Church, Mr. Madigan’s father and mother having been communicants of St. Michael’s since the time of their arrival on American soil until death. Mr. Madigan’s chief interest outside his immediate affairs is in his constant friendly attitude toward those in need of a helping hand...[H]e is now educating a young man for the priesthood at St. Seton Hall Seminary at South Orange, New Jersey. [end of article]

The above article included a formal photograph of Thomas Madigan, which I re-sized for inclusion here but which is rejected because I have exceeded my quota of attachments for this Forum. If a Forum reader has no such quota limit yet exceeded, I am happy to send him/her the re-sized photo as a png file, for uploading here as a reply posting in this thread of postings.

Brooklyn (NY) Standard Union, Oct 8 1928 edition
Wed At Death’s Door
Thomas Madigan, 52, former Sheriff of Hudson County, died early yesterday a little more than twenty-four hours after his marriage. Madigan, suffering from diabetes and a complication of diseases, and fearing he would not recover, summoned to his bedside his fiancee, Miss Emma Clifton, of 101 Kensington avenue, Jersey City, and insisted they be married. Madigan wanted to be sure that his modest fortune should go to Miss Clifton.

1930 NJ Hudson Co., Jersey City, 101 Kensington Ave.
Clifton
Emma 80 NY widow
Henry 55 NJ son, single, owner, real estate [business]
Madigan, Emma 45 NJ dau, widow

The New York Sun 26 March 1940 edition
Harry P. Clifton, of 117 Kensington avenue, Jersey City, died in the Jersey City Medical Center today of a heart ailment at the age of 65 years…For the past forty years he was partner with his brother William in the real estate firm of Clifton & Clifton...Besides his brother, he is survived by his mother, Mrs. Emma Bunting, and by a sister, Mrs. Emma Madigan.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:52 am

Good work, Sharon, tracing that Matthew Madigan family to Denver, Colorado. I agree that John, who applied for the headstone, may be a son of Matthew. In the meantime I’ve been looking at another Madigan family living in Clooneylissane, Knockerra (usually called Kilimer) with a son, Thomas, born May 1876:

11 Feb 1873: Marriage of Martin Madigan, Farmer, Moneen, parish Kilinny, son of Thomas Madigan, Farmer, to Margaret Sullivan, Emily, daughter of Michael Sullivan, Farmer, in Kilkee Chapel; witnesses: Denis Reidy, Brigid Reidy: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 208351.pdf

24 Jan 1874, Clonilissane: Birth of Mary to Martin Madigan, Farmer, and Margaret Sullivan: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 140486.pdf

12 May 1876, Clonilissane: Birth of Thomas to Martin Madigan, Farmer, and Margaret Sullivan: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 119004.pdf
(Baptised in Knockerra parish, often called Killimer, on 29 Apr 1876)

17 Mar 1878, Clonilissane: Birth of Patrick to Martin Madigan, Farmer, and Margaret Sullivan: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 084661.pdf

9 Feb 1880, Ballymacrinnin: Birth of Michael to Martin Madigan, Farmer, and Peggy Sullivan: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 055675.pdf

17 Apr 1882, Clunelissane: Birth of Sarah to Martin Madigan, Farmer, and Margaret Sullivan: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 019943.pdf

1901 census: Margaret, aged 60, and children, Patrick 23, Michael 21, Sarah 19: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... e/1081663/. Margaret states that she is married. In the Houses and Building form, the owner is Martin Madigan: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/r ... 000480943/.

1911 census: Margt, aged 70, now a widow, and children, Mary 36, Michael 28, Sarah, 26: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... n/363626// . Years of marriage: 38; 5 children born, 5 alive. This means that Thomas born 1876 is still alive, also Patrick born 1878.

I found no record of Martin’s death, and no further records for the rest of the family, but this Thomas is quite possibly Thomas b. 1876:
1911 census, Main Street, Askeaton West, Limerick: Thomas Madigan, aged 35, from Co. Clare, Servant at the household of Patrick C. O’Brien: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... et/640254/

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:13 am

Moneen seems to be another name for Clooneylissane – the baptism records for Mary, Thomas, Patrick and Michael Madigan give Moneen as the address. Kilimy is another name for Killimer – see variants for Knockera Catholic parish here: https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0792
Emily, the homeplace of Margaret Sullivan, is Emlagh in the parish of Kilfearagh: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... ieragh.htm

Sheila