New York City vital records fully online, certificate images

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

New York City vital records fully online, certificate images

Post by smcarberry » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:04 pm

A new era has started, apparently spurred by litigation of the group called Reclaim The Records. Birth-marriage-death certificate images are accessible online for all New York City boroughs (including Brooklyn/Kings County annexed in 1898), whereas previously a researcher had to order a certificate or find an LDS facility with a filmed or digitized version. The birth year range seems to be 1881-1949; deaths start with 1855. The fast, surest search will be done with a certificate number, available from several listed online websites not affiliated with NYC government. This new website has a search engine, which I think works very well although somehow a broad search using bride and groom's names for a specific 1935 marriage failed, but then I easily reached the right certificate by inputting the known certificate number. Fast returns and the images are very clear.

https://a860-historicalvitalrecords.nyc.gov/search

smcarberry

Re: New York City vital records fully online, certificate images

Post by smcarberry » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:38 pm

Here is an example of a search today, with varying success. I have had on hand for years a listing of Meehan individuals in a Brooklyn cemetery, as published in a genealogist's book. My note made of that info is shown below. My searches for Michael and Ann Meehan in any borough for the indicated years had no result using the new NYC website's search engine. My search for James was immediately successful in the Brooklyn category. The death certificate as a whole is too large to show a legible screenshot, so I omit the upper portion which only repeats what is shown on the portion displayed here. The remainder of the listed data is enough for me to find him now in other records.
Meehan sibs of Lakyle, Holy Cross Cem.JPG
Meehan sibs of Lakyle, Holy Cross Cem.JPG (24.94 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
1901 Bklyn dth cert, James Meehan.jpg
1901 Bklyn dth cert, James Meehan.jpg (103.76 KiB) Viewed 1549 times