Ballyline House, Crusheen, Co. Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

TomasR

Ballyline House, Crusheen, Co. Clare

Post by TomasR » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:19 pm

Hello. I am wondering if anyone would have a photograph of Ballyline House, Crusheen, Co. Clare which was designed by the architect William Fogarty and built for Augustine Butler around 1865 in the italianate style. Most of the house was demolished c. the 1930's. Copies of the original drawings are not with the Irish Architectural Archive. Any assistance in seaching a photograph or a drawing of what the house looked like would be greatly appreciated! Best regards, Tomás.

Sduddy

Re: Ballyline House, Crusheen, Co. Clare

Post by Sduddy » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:51 pm

Hi Tomás

I don’t know if there is any photo, or drawing of Ballyline House. There may be one in Hugh Weir’s “Houses of Clare” – I have never even had a look at that book. Hopefully someone will be able to tell you more.
As you probably know, the Landed Estates database has some information on Ballyline, but no pictures. And the article on the Butlers of Clare by Sir Henry Blackall, likewise, has no pictures: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... utlers.htm

For the year (now passed) that I had access to the British Newspaper Archives, I read a number of articles in the Clare Journal and made some notes, including two on Ballyline House that I think may be of interest to you.
I noted that on Mon 13 Mar 1865 there was a report headed ‘Conflagration at Ballyline House’. It was a very long report and I did not transcribe it, but I remember that it said that the fire started in an older part of the house, a part that was thatched; it was in front of, and led to a newer building, but, although old, it was still very much in use. With the help of the “peasantry” who came running with buckets of water, the fire was contained, but it had completely destroyed the old thatched building.
I think the newer building referred to in that report must have remained in place when the building you refer to was begun later that year, because another report (on the building of the asylum) refers to a new “portion” of Ballyline house. This time I made a partial transcription:
Extract from report on the new Lunatic Asylum, Mon 7 May 1866: “The exterior of the building in front is exceedingly imposing. The front centre building is placed on a somewhat higher elevation than the wings with a terrace front, so as to admit of a basement, in which the kitchen and offices of the physician and matron are placed. The doorway is supported by two round columns of cut stone, chiseled in a very superior style. The entire building is erected of light limestone, procured from a neighbouring quarry, which Mr Meade assured us was of the very best description of limestone that could be procured in Ireland; and from whence he was able to get block of immense size for the erection of the new portion of Ballyline House, the residence of Captain Butler, D L, which he is at present engaged in erecting…. The clock tower, which rises 89 feet from the basement, is erected in the front building over the entrance door, and commands a very extensive and beautiful view around the entire country. A glimpse can be had on one side of the cliffs of Moher, and on the other of the Broadford mountains. The height of each wing is 55 feet, 6 inches, and the frontage breadth of the building is 572 by 170 feet, so that it covers an area of 5,500 square feet.” (the underlining is mine).

Hoping you will get a photo.

Sheila

TomasR

Re: Ballyline House, Crusheen, Co. Clare

Post by TomasR » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:40 pm

Thanks so much for that Sheila. So much information. Muxch appreciated.

Hopefully someone will see this post - I'd love to be a able to share a photo of it as it was! :-)

Tomás