RC Parish of O'Callaghan's Mills death register transcription

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

RC Parish of O'Callaghan's Mills death register transcription

Post by smcarberry » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:02 pm

As of yesterday, the Clare County Library website has a transcription of the entire death register for the Parish of O'Callaghan's Mills, a portion of which (Jan 1846 through Dec 1850) has previously been transcribed and published by Gerard Madden in his 2017 book The Annals of the Poor: Scariff Workhouse Union. The new transcription is labelled as extending from 1843 to 1878 and is a total of 1244 entries. I happen to know that this new transcription is based on photographic images of each page, whereas Ger Madden had access to the actual register for his transcription but then had to return the book. Each of these methods can result in errors among individual entries, so each is a "best effort" and does not substitute for viewing the actual entry when there is some doubt. Just so you know, I was the first to try to send a photographer to the involved parish so that I could do the transcriptions, that would have benefited from my experience of transcribing this parish's baptisms and marriages, over 7000 entries -- however that was not to be.

This new transcription is the work of two people, as reported on the Clare Library webpage:
https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... lonlea.htm

Here are some things to look out for:

a. One of the transcribers is not familiar with old handwriting, so that the stylized "s" which looks like an "f" or "p" results in the townland Clashduff, written in the old days as Clasduff, appearing in this transcription as Clapduff.

b. Someone had a hard time with an uppercase "R" so that the locality Redbridge appears as Piedbridge, and surname Roughan (correct in Madden's transcription) is transcribed as Pioryleans.

c. Look for a transcribed name containing "v" to actually be an "r" -- a surname Morey (correct in Madden's work) appears in the new transcription as Movey.

Lastly, don't be misled by the database title, RC Death Records for Clonlea Civil Parish, as the 1244 entries cover the full extent of the RC Parish of O'Callaghan's Mills including the townlands composing the town of O'Callaghan's Mills & its environs, plus the entirety of the Killuran area. Father Quaid, who started the register, made an effort to become informed of the deaths throughout his entire parish.

Larry G Brennan

Re: RC Parish of O'Callaghan's Mills death register transcription

Post by Larry G Brennan » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:05 pm

Just a gentle reminder about all Graveyard Inscriptions:
NOTE:
The correct copying of inscriptions from old gravestones is fraught with difficulties. It is inevitable that mistakes will occur. While every effort has been made to record the individual gravestones as accurately as possible, Clare Roots Society wishes to apologise to any individual or family whose family records are recorded in error. Should any family or individual become aware of errors to these records, Clare Roots Society can be contacted through its secretary, who will make every effort to correct same.

smcarberry

Re: RC Parish of O'Callaghan's Mills death register transcription

Post by smcarberry » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:54 am

Sometimes a picture is better than words, so here is this death register's entry for Peter Carberry, spelled with one "r" and initially transcribed by Ger Madden as Carling. However, with my family missing this man and our not finding him for 20-plus years anywhere else in the Diaspora, Mr. Madden volunteered to go back to the original book and took this image so that I could be sure that this entry was for my family. Sometimes the sea parts and a miracle occurs -- that's how significant a few words in this book can be. If you need clarity about an entry, pursue it and it sounds like the CRS may be a resource for that.
1850 Carberry, Peter dth entry.JPG
1850 Carberry, Peter dth entry.JPG (28.25 KiB) Viewed 2297 times