Byrne family History County Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

kiwiguide

Byrne family History County Clare

Post by kiwiguide » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:43 pm

I am trying to trace the family of my Great great great grandparents who originate from Ballyvaghan in the Parish of Gleninagh.
Edward Byrne married Winifred Delany, their son Patrick Byrne born 1817 in Ballyvaghan, he married Catherine Hycope (Spelling?) also from Ballyvaghan. Their marriage took place in Manchester, Lancaster, England on 28 August 1843. He enlisted in the 65th Regiment (Yorkshire) 14 March 1846. Travelled to New Zealand on the Ship Sir Robert Peel, Departed Gravesend London 15 September 1846, Arrived Auckland 4 January 1847. Discharged with Gratuity 30 June 1853. Before their departure from England a son Edward was born. Patrick came to New Zealand as a soldier as the British Government were offering a good wage for the soldiers and the promise of land in New Zealand once they had served their time. Little did he know what the british government were up to. They wanted to bring settlers to New Zealand to take possession of land so that they could be taxed and create more revenue for the government. First they had to take control of the land from the native Maori population. Shady land deals were done with the Maori so naturally they were upset and the New Zealand land wars broke out. At that time the Irish were a cheap source of soldiers and many of the Irish enlisted in search of a better life. In time the Irish soldiers realised that what they were fighting for was a bit unjust for the Maori people. The Maori and Irish even on opposing side did develop a respect and even a friendship for each other....where as the soldiers enlisted from England in most cases had no respect for the Maori for quite some time.

Anybody that can help me find out more about this family during their time in Ireland would certainly be appreciated.

Thank you in anticipation

Reg
Wanganui
New Zealand