Mungovan Magowna and Rathkerry Inch

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

mgallery

Mungovan Magowna and Rathkerry Inch

Post by mgallery » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:28 am

HI I have been desultorily looking at Mungovan - which is not very numerous even in Clare

My gt grandmother was Mary Ann Mungovan from RathkerryInch. She married John Quinn of Knock House Inch and she lived through tough times with a difficult man. She held the family together. Her parents were John Mungovan and Susan Garrihy (Garrahy/Garahy). His father was Daniel Mungovan and Johanna (from the dna to which I get many matches). The Mungovans were from Magowna and moved to Rathkerry Inch. The family say we were related to Con Mungovan of the Sinn Fein club who had a pub on Parnell st Ennis where Dev stayed when in town. This seems to be borne out with a dna match to Kathy Lynskey. Con's parents were Daniel Mungovan and Jane Fahy .I dont know the relationship but think it comes back to Magowna townland (not house). We were also cousins of the Magowna Mungovans I see dna matches on myheritage but don't exactly know how. I also see dna matches to descendants of Patrick Mungovan and Bridget Canny from Ennis who emigrated to Kilcloher. My Garrihy relatives married Mungovan and Marrinan and I see many dna matches as cousins married cousins so I get closer matches than they really are. On some dna match trees I see Mungovans from Kilclogher marrying the same Marrinans so suspect all were cousins. There are two trees on ancestry referencing this family - to one I get dna matches but I know I am related through the Garrihys. They gave John Mungovan married to Margaret Keane from Kinturk Kilmaley early 1800s. I know everyone may not have ancestry access but am still posting the tree link. https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/pe ... 9995/facts

Happy to hear from anyone who has research on Mungovan around Kilmaley Ennis and Inagh. I have dna on ancestry and gedmatch and my cousin Moira Mungovan McNultry is also on ancestry and her brother is on myheritage. I am not sure that Mungovans from other parts of Clare are connected although the Garrihys and Marrinans were in Ennistymon and Milltown and descendants in Calura Laninch (Dwyer) . I am told our cousins went to Australia and see some Australian trees.

I think these Mungavins originally came from West Clare https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Mungavin
Rear-Admiral Leslie Norman Mungavin SPk, SK, SBt (22 March 1925 – 1995) was a two-star rank admiral in the Pakistan Navy, and a defence diplomat.
I also saw this post some years ago
My family name is Mungavin and originates in West Clare. Myself and my brother Dave have been researching and know the following :

James StJohn M - left Ireland c1825 and moved to India and worked on railways

(round about same time we have scant details of a Michael M who fought in the Indian Mutiny with the Lahore Cavalry)

son of above - James StJohn Mungavin - British army in India

son of above - George Mungavin - official in Indian railways

children of above :-

Athelstan - Moved to Perth, Australia with wife Jean where family have survived him

Paddy - moved to Scotland post Indian independance - family survive him in Glasgow

Leslie (Jack) - commanded Pakistan Navy - died about 5 years ago - daughter Leslie in London

Gerry - Post Independence moved to UK - joined church of England and currently retired near Glasgow.

Laura - married in India and moved to Scotalnd with husband

Beryl - married & living in UK

Phyllis - married in Scotland

It's proving easy to track down where we are at present and in actual fact because the Mungavins were all in public service of one sort or another in India that era again is quite clear, if a veritable roller-coaster of ups and downs. Where I think we'd like to estabish more detail is in West Clare and as to the family details of James StJ Mungavin who left in 1825.