William Frost, Clare to NSW Australia

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

William Frost, Clare to NSW Australia

Post by smcarberry » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:18 pm

The vast Mormon resources includes an online site chock full of family histories, all accessible via a search engine. I happened across a book with several Clare immigrants to an area of New South Wales, Australia called Wollongong. The local RC cemetery there has an 1854 burial for a child of William and Mary (Gallagher) Frost, Julia. The screenshot below cut short the listing of William and Mary's children, as the first Julia was followed by a second Julia, who did survive.

A GenForum posting states that this William Frost was born in Bunratty, although no source for that was stated. Most of the Frost listings in the Tithes and Griffiths databases are in that area, so that may well be. I read over the Frost material in the Clare Library donated family histories; this particular William does not seem to be mentioned in that family history.

Sharon Carberry USA
not related
Wm Frost, Clare to Wollongong, pt 1.jpg
Wm Frost, Clare to Wollongong, pt 1.jpg (86.3 KiB) Viewed 16821 times
Attachments
Maria Frost Fitzgerald family, Wollongong.jpg
Maria Frost Fitzgerald family, Wollongong.jpg (86.18 KiB) Viewed 16820 times

jjfoster@xtra.co.nz

Re: William Frost, Clare to NSW Australia

Post by jjfoster@xtra.co.nz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi

Could somebody enlighten me as to where this info on the Frosts came from? I am descended from one of the children of William Frost who married Mary Gallagher. And yes they did come from Bunratty.

Thanks

JJ Foster

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:12 am

I believe the screenshots were taken from this book:
Wollongong Old Roman Catholic Burial Ground
by Wendy E. Nunan

That book (and many other such books) is available using the search engine available at:
http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm4/search.php

Sorry that my posting did not contain that information when first done.

Sharon Carberry
USA

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:05 am

The baptisms of eight children of William Frost and Maria Gallagher in Sixmilebridge between 1836 and 1850 are recorded at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ecords.htm

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:21 pm

I just sent for a death certificate from New South Wales, thinking it would refer to a different branch of the Frost family, but it turned out to be for this William Frost:

1882/001967
Date and place of death: 7th October 1882, Zig Zag Hotel, Crown and Campbell Streets
Name and occupation: William Frost - retired
Sex and age: Male 68 years
Cause of Death; Duration of last illness; medical attendant; when he last saw deceased: (1) Diarrhoea (2) a week (3) Dr. Gilhooley (4) Same day
Name and occupation of father; name and maiden surname of mother: (1) Solomon Frost (2) --- (3) Susan Clancy
Informant: Annie Frost, daughter, Brougham Street, Darlinghurst
Particulars of registration: (1) [illegible registrar's signature] (2) 9th October 1882 (3) Sydney.
When and where buried; name of undertaker: 9th October 1882 Haslem's Creek Cemetery; Henry Mason
Name and religion of Minister and names of witnesses of burial: Frederic Owen, Josiah Cook
Where born and how long in the Australian Colonies or States: Co. Clare, Ireland 28 years in N. S. Wales.
Place of marriage, age and to whom: (1) Ireland (2) 20 (about) (3) Mary Gallagher
Children of marriage: 4 males 8 females living 2 males 4 females deceased.

There is a series of matching newspaper announcements from The Sydney Morning Herald < Monday 9 October 1882 > < Page 12 of 12 > at
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/28377889 :
FUNERALS.

THE FRIENDS of Mr. ROBERT SCRAGGS are respectfully invited to attend the Funeral of his late beloved FATHER-IN-LAW, Mr. William Frost; to move from his late residence. Zig-zag Hotel; Crown and Campbell streets, Surry Hills, THIS (Monday) AFTERNOON, at quarter to 2 o'clock, for the Necropolis. H. MASON, Undertaker, 74, Oxford-st., near Riley-st.

THE FRIENDS of Mr. ARTHUR BARLOW are respectfully invited to attend the Funeral of his late beloved FATHER-IN-LAW, Mr. William Frost; to move from the residence of his son-in-law, Zig-zag Hotel, Crown and Campbell streets, Surry Hills, THIS (Monday) AFTERNOON, at quarter to 2 o'clock for Necropolis. H. MASON, 74, Oxford-st, nr. Riley-st.

THE FRIENDS of Mr. THOMAS McNAMEE are respectfully invited to attend the Funeral of his late beloved FATHER-IN-LAW, Mr. William Frost, late of Wollongong; to move from his son-in-law's residence, Zig-zag Hotel, Crown and Campbell streets, Surry Hills, THIS (Monday) AFTERNOON, at a quarter to 2 o'clock, for the Necropolis. H. MASON, Undertaker, 74, Oxford-street.
The burial place described as Haslem's Creek Cemetery on the death certificate and The Necropolis in the newspaper notices is now known as Rookwood Cemetery. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rookwood_Cemetery

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks to Margaret O'Heir's compilation of Clare notices from Australian papers recently published at
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... tracts.htm
we can now link this William Frost to the Frost family documented at
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... _index.htm :

The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954) Monday 9 October 1882 p 1 Family Notices
FROST.-October 7, at the residence of his son-in-law, Robert Scraggs, Crown-street, Surry Hills, William Frost, aged 68, relict of Mary Frost, last surviving son of the late Solomon Frost, Hempfield, Bunratty, county Clare, and first-cousin of James Frost, Ballymorris, ex-High Sheriff, county Clare, deeply regretted by all who knew him. R. I. P. Home and American papers please copy.

wendynunan

Post by wendynunan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:05 am

I discovered with interest the information on William Frost. I am the author of the book on the Old Catholic Burial Ground in Wollongong NSW and was stunned to see that the Mormon Church library had put my book up on the net without my permission. As my book has sold out, I see no sense in complaining and hope family researchers will gain something from its use. The "spare time" work of my husband and I is researching the early Catholic history of the Illawarra and hence am happy to help (at no charge) anyone researching these families who emigrated to the Illawarra. We have access to early church records and have been gradually extracting and indexing newspaper articles from the local newspapers, which are not yet up on the net through the Australian National Libraries website Trove - it has many other early papers countrywide worth checking. I can be contacted at wich53@gmail.com