Andy Hehir, from Corofin, scales 30-foot wall, 1883

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Post Reply
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:07 am

Andy Hehir, from Corofin, scales 30-foot wall, 1883

Post by Sduddy » Sun May 23, 2021 10:05 am

Clare Freeman, Sat 27 Jan 1883:
On yesterday a prisoner named Hehir, a deserted Soldier from the 104th foot Regt., confined in Ennis gaol awaiting his trial escaped over the wall. Up to this no account was had of the fugitive. The walls are over 40 feet high and it is surmised he made his way through the graveyard and up the ivy as the door was found broke. He left his boots after him.
Clare Freeman, Sat 29 Dec 1883:
The now famous Andy Hehir, the Corofin boy who deserted the army, and, twice running, broke out of Ennis Jail by climbing an angle wall about 30 feet high; the boy who has played hare and hounds with the police for the last four months in the neighbourhood of his native town, has at last surrendered to them, being weary, no doubt, of his midnight wanderings. He was brought up manacled before the magistrate at Petty Sessions yesterday and was sent forward for trial to the Quarter Sessions. He was conveyed to Limerick last night pending his trial.
Clare Freeman, Wed 2 Jan 1884:
Ennis Petty Sessions. Jail Breaking. Andy Hehir, a deserter from the 104th Regiment, who has been at large since the 26th of June, in the neighbourhood of Corofin, where he played such extraordinary pranks on the police, was brought up in custody charged with having on two occasions – viz., 27 January, and 26th June, 1883, broken out of the Ennis jail and effected his escape therefrom.
The prisoner, who is a light, active young fellow, about 23 years, surrendered himself to Colonel Paterson after six months of a most eventful career.
Constable George MacMillan deposed that Colonel Paterson sent a note to the barrack on the 26th instant to say that Hehir had surrendered; they proceeded to Clifden and took him into custody.
Mr Greene – Did he admit the charge against him?
The Constable – He did not.
Mr Greene – You had a right to ask him what was the charge against him.
Mr Sharply (chief warder) said the second time he got out of jail was on the 26th June; he (witness) then was sick, and all he knew was that he found his name on the prison books; and he was aware that Hehir got over the wall on the 27th of January; he gave himself up to the police, who handed him over to the military authorities; but the Prison Board demanded his “extradition,” and he was delivered up to him on the charge of prison breaking.
Mr Greene said he remembered the circumstances, the warder was dismissed through it.
Dr Cullinan – Was it the Ennis Prison?
Mr Sharply – It was, sir.
Mr Greene – How did he get out?
Mr Sharpley – Through the old burial ground, and over the wall.
Dr Cullinan – What is the height of the wall?
Mr Sharpley – It is about 30 feet inside, but no so high outside, as the ground is high.
Mr Greene – Was there any building he could get on ?
Mr Sharpley – There was not, the two walls form half a right angle, and he pushed himself up the angle.
Mr Greene – Are there any stones projecting that enabled him to climb up?
Mr Sharpley – The angle is as smooth as any other part of the prison wall; he said it was only a matter of two or three minutes.
The accused, who was not professionally represented, and who observed rigid silence, but smiled occasionally while the colloquy was being carried on between the magistrates and the jailor, was returned for trial at the Quarter Sessions on the 17th inst., and sent that evening by train to Limerick jail for safe-keeping.
I don't know what happened to Andy.


Post Reply