Bugler/Ryan/Mcinerney.

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Hack

Bugler/Ryan/Mcinerney.

Post by Hack » Tue May 18, 2021 9:36 pm

Ref Bugler/ Ryan /Mcinerney.
My great grandmother was Margaret Mcinerney born 1839 and died in Limerick.
1921. She married a Limerick butter broker ,Mr James Costelloe.
Her sister’s name was Bridget and she died in 1918 in Limerick .
Bridget was married to John Ryan of Annacoty , Limerick.
Can anybody help me trace her parents and from what part of Clare did the family originate.? hack

murf

Re: Bugler/Ryan/Mcinerney.

Post by murf » Wed May 19, 2021 2:29 am

Hi Hack
Usually the best chance of finding the previous generation is from the father of the bride on the civil marriage record.
Unfortunately in this case it appears that both McInerney sisters were married prior to 1864.
Refer birth of
Mary Costelloe 17 Dec 1864, and
Catherine Ryan 29 Sep 1866.
This makes your task much more difficult. If you can find the church records for these families then perhaps a direct enquiry to the parish office may turn up something.
You haven't given a reason why you suspect that the sisters came from Co Clare.
Note that Margret Costello gave her birthplace as Limerick City in the 1901 Census.
murf

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed May 19, 2021 10:40 am

Hi Hack

I notice that although Margret Costello gives her birthplace as Limerick in 1901, she (Margaret Costelloe) gives it as Clare in 1911: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... et/632317/

Her son William Costelloe*, who is a grocer in Dublin in 1901, gives his birthplace as Limerick in 1901, but as Clare in 1911: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... nue/19733/

This report of the funeral of James Costelloe (1908) is not an answer to your query re the parents of Margaret McInerney (1839-1921), but may be of interest to you as there are McInerneys among the attendance: http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/01%200 ... telloe.pdf

I think this Patrick McInerney listed in the 1911 census is the Patrick McInerney who attended the funeral (he has a son called Edward), but, as McInerney is a very common name in Limerick and Clare, it’s impossible to decide whether he is a relative or just a friend.
1911 census. Patrick McInerney, aged 51, Shipwright, and his wife Helena, aged 38, have a son called Edward, aged 17, Clerk to Timber Merchant: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... et/630616/

20 Apr 1892: Marriage of Patrick McInerney, Ship Builder, Edward St, Limerick, son of John McInerney, Ship Builder, to Helena Fitzgerald, Mulgrave St, daughter of Patrick Fitzgerald, Inspector of Markets, in Cathedral of Limerick; witnesses: Michael Joseph Guinane, Sara C MacInerney: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 875806.pdf

Some other newspaper notices (James Costelloe and his family usually added an ‘e’) are listed here: https://studylib.net/doc/7764513/obitua ... --etc.-–-c , but unfortunately the notice for Margaret’s funeral gives no information.

* I first found the marriage of Helena in 1922 and then found William: Helena Costelloe married Patrick J. Scanlan, both of 8 Catherine St., on 17th Apr. 1922; witnesses: Katherine Troy, 16 Patrick St., and William J. Costelloe, 18 Dame St., Dublin: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 329342.pdf

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed May 19, 2021 12:14 pm

Like Sheila, I decided to see if Clare could be involved, and I found the two sisters' marriages in the RC Register for O'Callaghan's Mills Parish, which is the one that I transcribed. My apologies for omitting the "l" in Coolistunane once while typing, in Bridget's marriage listing. Here are those two marriages:

13 Feb 1858 James Costelloe of Mt _ice to Margaret McInerney, Coolistunan
witnesses: Henry Morville, Croom; Margaret Linehan, Coolnahela

18 Feb 1855 Dennis Ryan, Annacoty [sic] to Bridget McInerney, Coolistunane
witnesses: James Ryan, Rivers; Margaret Linehan, Coolnahela

Although the Griffith's Valuation (1850s) shows Thomas McInerney residing at Coolistunan, these seem to be his children's baptisms, none at that townland but all within OCM Parish:

1835 __ Patrick father: Thomas McInerney mother: Margaret Burke res. Mount Holland
1838 ___Margaret____ ditto_______________ditto______________________Lakile
1842___Thom [sic]___ ditto_______________ditto______________________[no space left on register line]

No baptism for Bridget is in the OCM Parish register, which is not an anomaly for this time period. See the Library's Donated Materials for the full transcription of each baptism.

Patrick's marriage was about 1860, in a different parish, that of his bride Mary Molony. His children's baptisms all show Coolistunane as Patrick & Mary's residence, except for the 1865 baptism of son Edward, for which Lakyle is listed. Briefly these were (with some of the children as adults residing at Coolistunan in 1901):
1862 Margaret
1863 John
1865 Edmund [an Edward McInerney served as later son Pat's bapt. sponsor, 1870]
1867 Thomas
1870 Patrick
1872 Bridget
1874 Patrick

If needed, I have additional information on the Lenihans of Lakyle, but nothing more on the Quinlivans who also had some involvement with this McInerney family, nor anything on Burke.

Sharon Carberry
Last edited by smcarberry on Thu May 20, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu May 20, 2021 9:47 am

Good work, Sharon, finding Margaret and Bridget McInerney in Coolistoonan.

I have found that Margaret’s son, William Costelloe, was correct when he stated in 1911 that he was born in Co. Clare. The Parish of Doonass and Truagh baptism register shows the baptisms of three children of Margaret McInerny and James Costelloe of Mount Rice:
28 Nov 1858: William of James Costelloe and Margaret McInerny; sponsors: James Costelloe, Mary McInerny.
1 Jan 1860: Margaret of James Costelloe and Margaret McInerny; sponsors: Thomas and Margaret McInerny.
26 Mar 1861: John of James Costelloe and Margaret McInerny; sponsors: John Costelloe, Mary Costelloe.

Hi Hack,
Just in case you are not familiar with the lie of the land in County Clare: Coolistoonan is a townland in the civil parish of Clonlea. Clonlea lies in the Catholic parish of O’Callaghan’s Mills (Catholic parishes often contained more than one civil parish).
Here is some information on the civil parish of Clonlea: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... nleigh.htm. You will see that it includes the links to Sharon Carberry’s transcription of the Catholic parish baptism register, and the Catholic parish marriage register.

If you want to check the original registers, the National Library of Ireland has made them available here: O’Callaghan’s Mills: https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0772.

Mount Rice is a townland in the civil parish of Kilseily, some of which lies in the Catholic parish of Doonass and Truagh. Here is some information on the civil parish of Kilseily: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... lseily.htm. Most of the townlands in that civil parish belong to the Catholic parish of Broadford, but some townlands in the south of Kilseily belong to the Catholic parish of Doonass and Truagh. The transcription of the baptisms is among the Donations on clarelibrary.ie: https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/cocla ... truagh.htm

If you want to check the original registers, go to Doonass and Truagh: https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0771

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Thu May 20, 2021 12:58 pm

In view of the 1860 baptism located in Doonass/Trugh, I edited out my prior comment on the elder Thomas/Margaret (Burke) McInerney being not available to serve as a wedding witness in 1858.

To better determine when the McInernery-Burke wedding took place, I looked for deaths fitting Thomas and Margaret. I am fairly confident that Thomas died 27 Nov 1873 at Mount Allan (Mountholland) age 84, a married farmer, with Maria Quinlivan present at death. The note on being married means that wife Margaret was yet living. The field of candidates for her is broader than for Thomas, as one would hope that she went to live with a adult child, and we know that the adult children were quite scattered between two counties. In Clare the best candidate appears to be Margaret, a farmer's widow age 86 who died 19 April 1880 in the Tulla Workhouse, after 4 years' decline. Perhaps her condition was beyond what a normal household could manage without medical assistance regularly on hand. I am attaching both listings, found in civil registrations at Irishgenealogy.ie, where these East Clare deaths are included for this time period as being in the Galway Registration District. Since the wife's birth about 1794 would mean a wedding 1811 - 1815, finding a church register including the wedding is not within reach in East Clare, where the earliest preserved are in Tulla Parish marriage listings (beginning 1819), not showing a Margaret Burke/Bourke nor anyone resembling an adult sibling. Twenty years later in that parish there are some baptism listings for children of a Burke-Quinlivan couple, so that is a possible direction to explore.

I looked over my notes for Linehan of Coolnahela, since Margaret Linehan from that townland served as a wedding witness for both McInerney women. I have a U.S.-based reason for exploring that surname there, which I can provide in private messaging if needed.

I also have notes on the very early presence of Burke/Bourke in East Clare although not enough to locate Margaret Burke McInerney in her birth family in the late 1700s.

S. Carberry
1873 MtAllan dth Thos McI 84.JPG
1873 MtAllan dth Thos McI 84.JPG (50.94 KiB) Viewed 18221 times
1880 Tulla wkhse dth Margt McI 86 wid.JPG
1880 Tulla wkhse dth Margt McI 86 wid.JPG (42.92 KiB) Viewed 18221 times

Hack

Post by Hack » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:48 pm

Hi,

I would like to thank Sharon Carberry ,Sheila Duddy, and Murf for the excellent research on the McInerney’s of Coolistunan. This information together with a look at A Limerick Leader (11/7/1938 funeral report of my late Mother’s (Violet Guinan) sister Nora “Lollie”Guinan and a further funeral report of Mrs Helena Scanlon confirmed that my great grandmother was in fact Margaret Mcinerney of Coolistunan.

I had the pleasure of visiting the site where the Mcinerney family still reside . A lake, the name I can’t recall, exists across from the Mcinerney house.

One other point I would like to mention Margaret’s sister Bridget is now proved to be a great grandmother of a life long friend of mine
Michael Barry. Another sister married O‘Driscoll whose descendants own a bar I visited on Christmas Eve “O Driscoll’s” in Corbally.

I understand another famous bar “The Black Sticks” now closed had belonged to the O‘Driscoll’s family.

I would also like to thank Rev.Henry Mcinerney and his brother Sean (whose great great grandfather “Thomas” I share ) for their kind assistance in supplying me with information on Margaret’s sisters and brothers.

A. Hackett

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:46 pm

Hi Hack
I'm glad you have made progress with the family tree, and glad to have been of some help.
Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:34 pm

Hack, good to hear how much progress you have made. When you first posted, it sounded like the usual quest with too few clues. However, due to data availability made possible in the last decade, there was enough, although spread between two counties, to put together a solid outline of your family. Great that you continued on, finding local folks to add to what we could tell you here. You have found your Irish homeland and your people. Thanks for looping back here and letting us know -- encouraging for the next time a query arrives here.

Sharon C.