“Tragic circumstances of the Whelan family of Ballinahinch“

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Cnwhelan

“Tragic circumstances of the Whelan family of Ballinahinch“

Post by Cnwhelan » Fri May 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Hello! I’m looking for some follow up information on the content of this post from Jimbo:
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... 563#p13563

I am a descendant of James Whelan and Sarah Callaghan through their daughter, Annie. I’d love to learn more about the circumstances mentioned. I think this has to do with tenant evictions? If you can point me towards any resources online or books I can buy, etc, please share! As well, any pictures, fun facts, any remaining Whelan’s who might have family lore documented....I’m eager to find out everything I can about Annie’s experiences in Ballinahinch.

Thanks!
Christie W.

Jimbo

Re: “Tragic circumstances of the Whelan family of Ballinahinch“

Post by Jimbo » Fri May 14, 2021 11:35 pm

Hi Christie,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you started a new thread on this topic. The tragic circumstances were simply the death of James Whelan in 1897 at the age of 54, and then his wife Sarah Callaghan Whelan in 1899 at the age of 48. Both died at a relatively young age, and within two years of each other, leaving a large family including five children under the age of 16 years old as orphans. These events would certainly meet the definition of "tragic circumstances". Below are their civil death records including medical cause of death. Annie Whelan, your ancestor, was the informant on the death record for her mother.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 661520.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 629977.pdf

Back in August 2020 when researching Cora Whelan and her relationship to Mrs. Nash of the Bronx, I printed out a family tree on ancestry which I've gone back to now and see that it is yours! It is very good, but you have left out their daughter Lizzie Whelan, who was age 12 in the 1901 census. And the "Elizabeth Cora Whelan (1872 - 1958)" on your family tree, sadly died at the age of three months on 20 March 1873:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie ... 264541.pdf

And this won't be a fun fact at all, but from the Irish Petty Sessions we learn how in the 1901 census, the four youngest Whelan daughters, Minnie (age 15), Lizzie (age 12), Josephine (age 11), and Theresa (age 9) ended up at St. John's Industrial School for Girls in Birr, County Offaly:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... d/1462318/
Clare Petty Sessions
Date of Order: 7 December 1899
Names of Justices: Col. O'Callaghan, P. McGrath, P. J. Kelly
Complainant: Sergeant Thos H Kinson (spelling?), RIC of Tulla
Defendant: Mary Whelan, Lizzie Whelan, Theresa Whelan, Josephine Mary Whelan, all of Ballinahinch

Cause of Complaint: That you the said defendants at Ballinahinch, co Clare, on 7th Dec. 1899, have been found destitute and being orphans without any parent and not having proper guardianship.

Particular of Order: Ordered that defendants be committed to St. John's Female Industrial School Parsonstown and be there detained until each shall have attained respectively the age of sixteen years.

"Ireland, Petty Session Court Registers, 1818 - 1919", ancestry.com
https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse ... cessSource

Cnwhelan

Post by Cnwhelan » Sat May 15, 2021 5:39 pm

Jimbo, thank you!!

So it seems I have aggregated two of James and Sarah’s children into 1 —> an early Eliza who died as a baby, and a later one seemingly Elizabeth Cora. I’ll update my ancestry tree today to reflect your corrections. I also scoured civil records and found nothing that points to EC’s birth.

I had just found the census information this week that put all 4 girls at the industrial school, but had not uncovered the order that put them there - thanks so much for this. My heart sank when I saw the census info (one, after the other, after the other) - what a desperate and urgent feeling that must have created for their older siblings to get them out. I know Patrick, the youngest, appeared on the next Irish census living with older brother Thomas, but he eventually landed in the Bronx and was reported on Annie’s US census record years later.

I am curious, though - how Patrick managed to escape his sisters’ fate of being sent to an industrial school. Maybe they collectively decided that, if Thomas can only take in one sibling, it’s best to keep the “baby” at home? The sisters would at least be together in the same place. Patrick, on the other hand, would have been sent to a boys’ institution or some other care situation, and been alone without any family at a very young age. Do you think that could be a realistic scenario, given the time and historical context?

Something I’ve enjoyed seeing and learning is how these Whelans created a community on Valentine Ave in Tremont (Bronx) - Annie cited sister Maggie Whelan on Valentine Ave as her family destination on the ship manifest when she immigrated. Teresa and Annie lived a few blocks from each other on a later census, Patrick was taken in by Annie, Lizzie/Cora arrived and became a nurse, Aunt Marion (Callaghan) Nash and her family nearby. As a single mother myself, knowing Annie had my grandfather out of wedlock in 1912 and the struggles that must have been inherent to an unmarried mother at that time, I’m oddly happy and comforted that they had a family support system in their neighborhood, a world away from where they started. This generation of siblings seem so connected and supportive of each other, and pulled each other along to a new start. “Solidarity” is what comes to mind.

A few questions for you ...and please know that I’m so appreciative of your generous donation of time and knowledge on this subject.

Given the evictions and that their father was the land steward, would the Whelans have been in the same precarious situation as people in their community who didn’t have this affiliation with the landowner? Do you know of any resources (records, contemporary accounts/narratives, etc) that would help to illuminate James Whelan’s situation (and that of his family), being in the middle of both the estate and the tenant farmers? Sarah was both a Callaghan and a Whelan - so I can imagine this could be awkward and difficult for everyone. :)

In County Clare, perhaps onsite at a library or other local history organization, are there photos from this period of time around Ballinahinch of the estate, farmers, people or life in general? My goal is just to see what Annie’s life and perspective might have been before leaving, what images or memories could “home” bring to mind, etc.

I had planned a trip to County Clare for last summer (and bought the airfare!), for a family heritage tour, but the pandemic shut down my plans. I’m looking to reschedule this for next summer, and I’m hoping there are local resources I can view that will complete my genealogical quest. I don’t have much hope that I can go much further back in history with the Whelans, which is okay. For me, this is where my history starts anyway, being a Whelan and Annie’s great granddaughter specifically.

Thank you, Jimbo. Have a beautiful Saturday!

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun May 16, 2021 8:06 am

Hi Christie,

Maybe it was for the best that your trip to Ireland was cancelled in 2020. Now when you visit County Clare you will be much more knowledgeable about your family's history and ask very different questions. And perhaps you will now want to include a few of the infamous Irish prisons, such as Kilmainham Prison in Dublin, on your family heritage tour.

http://kilmainhamgaolmuseum.ie/

Cora Whelan, the nurse, had to be either Minnie (age 15), Lizzie (age 12), Theresa (age 9), or Josephine (age 6) from the 1901 Irish census. Lizzie would have been "detained" at St John's Industrial School in Birr until turning age 16. Based upon the fact that the Cora Whelan arrived in New York in 1907 was 17 years old, she must be Elizabeth. Plus, you had independently had a "Elizabeth Cora" on your family tree, albeit of the incorrect birth year, so definitely the nurse Cora was Elizabeth Cora Whelan. Why she doesn't appear in the civil records is a mystery, perhaps "Whelan" was transcribed in an odd way.

Something to consider about your great grandmother Annie Whelan, born about 1882 according to various USA records. The Kilnoe baptism records only go through 1881, but like her sister EC, there does not appear to be a civil birth record for this Annie Whelan. Coming to America, Irish immigrants frequently took a few years off their age. Could Annie born about 1882 according to USA records, actually have been Honor (Nora) born in 1880? Similar to how "Lizzie" became "Cora"? Finding out what happened to the Nora Whelan born in 1880 would eliminate this theory (which is only a slight possibility).

The reason that Sheila and I were looking into the Whelan/Callaghan families of Ballynahinch was their association with James Halpin (1861 - 1943). Why was his half-sister, Catherine Harrison (1855 - 1931), at the home of Marion Callaghan Nash of 2029 Valentine Avenue in the Bronx when she died in 1931? Also, when Cora Whelan, in 1907 arrived in America, why was she traveling with Thomas Gunning and Anne Gunning, the children of Eliza Harrison Gunning (1854 - ?), another half-sister of James Halpin? It seemed important at the time (and there was not whole lot going on during last summer's lockdown).

Christie, your question, "would the Whelans have been in the same precarious situation as people in their community who didn’t have this affiliation with the landowner?" was related to the risk of eviction. Since James Whelan was the land steward for Captain O'Callaghan of Ballinahinch, the greater risk was violent harm or even death by moonlighters during the Land War period. Michael Walsh, a previous land steward of the O'Callaghan's of Ballinahinch, was murdered in 1847. Frequently during the Land War period, the violence was not directed at the landlord, but the stewards, agents, herdsmen who worked for the landlord. Going to Mass on Sunday appears to have been particularly risky.

What makes your great great grandfather James Whelan incredibly remarkable was that while he was a land steward for Captain O'Callaghan of Ballinahinch, he was also a Coercion Suspect arrested for the firing upon Wilfrid Lloyd, the brother of Clifford Lloyd, in 1882. I had printed many newspaper articles and was working towards this story back in August 2020, but have been diverted a few times. And there was no real hope of returning to this anytime soon — that's why I was glad that you had started a new thread on this topic.

Reports of the Coercion Suspects who were in custody under "The Protection of Person and Property (Ireland) Act" were submitted to British Parliament, here is the report through 31 March 1882.

http://www.dippam.ac.uk/eppi/documents/ ... age/455252

#824, James Whelan, from Tulla, Clare; arrested 1 March 1882; in custody (as of 31 March 1882); Kilkenny Prison. Note: James Whelan was first arrested on 14 February and was imprisoned at Ennis Jail; on 1 March he became a coercion suspect (as in no evidence or trial required to keep him in prison) and sent to Kilkenny Jail. He was released on 28 July 1882 (per below newspaper account).

Two of the Callaghan uncles of your great grandmother were also Coercion Suspects:

#172, John Callaghan, from Tulla, Clare; arrested 23 June 1881; in custody (as of 31 March 1882); Limerick Prison.

#173, Michael Callaghan, from Tulla, Clare; arrested 23 June 1881; Limerick & Kilmainham Prison; released 3 February 1882; arrested again on 1 March 1882; in custody (as of 31 March 1882); Kilmainham Prison.

Christie, I think having an Irish ancestor who was a Coercion Suspect would be something most Irish people would be proud of. You have three. Not sure about Wilfred Lloyd, but his brother Clifford Lloyd (1844 - 1891) was not a nice person. Plus, 27 people were arrested for shooting Wilfred Lloyd and the soldier who accompanied him. The odds are likely that James Whelan was not even involved in the shooting. James Whelan died a land steward in 1897; would he have retained this position on the O'Callaghan estate of Ballinahinch if there was truly any suspicion of his actual guilt? Still, it's unusual that a land steward to a wealthy landlord was arrested in the first place and then spent five and a half months in prison. The newspaper accounts highlighted that James Whelan was a steward of Captain O'Callaghan of Ballynahinch as if this was unusual.

Christie, on your family tree it appears that the Whelan's have been your focus and not so much on the Callaghan side. Maybe you aren't aware of the County Clare parish baptism and marriage registers that have been transcribed by a team of volunteers (Sheila, Sharon, Murf et al) and are available on the Clare library website below?
https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/libra ... ecords.htm

For Kilnoe Tuamgraney Parish (1832-1881), like other parishes, separate spreadsheets are sorted by father and mother which are useful. On the Whelan side, you can quickly pick up that there were two sons named Thomas born in consecutive years, and you are missing a Thomas who was born and died in 1877. On the Callaghan side of your family tree, you only have two children (Sarah Callaghan and Marianne Callaghan), and their incorrect father ("Michael" should be "John"). Here is a quick family tree to show all six children, including the two Callaghan coercion suspects. This will also allow me to answer your question, or at least give my opinion, about the four Whelan daughters who were sent to the industrial school in County Offaly.

John Callaghan (1824 - 1904) and Mary Callaghan (died prior to 1901), both or possibly just one of Ballinahinch, married on 5 July 1850 in Kilnoe Parish; witnesses Pat Bolton, Thomas Callaghan, Bodike. Six children were recorded in the Kilnoe parish baptism register. <Ballinahinch, Ballinahinch, House 1, x> John O'Callaghan, of Ballinahinch, widower, age 80, farmer, died on 10 April 1904; informant son John O'Callaghan.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 579701.pdf

1.0 Sarah Callaghan, of Ballinahinch, baptized on 21 May 1851; sponsors Denis Slattery, Mrs. Callaghan. Married to James Whelan of Ballinahinch on 16 November 1871 in Kilnoe Parish; witnesses T. Walsh, Bridget Hussy. James Whelan was land steward of Charles O'Callaghan of Ballinahinch. Coercion Suspect #824. Parents of 12 children.

2.0 Anne Callaghan, of Ballinahinch, baptized on 21 December 1852; sponsors James and Anne Slattery.

3.0 Mary Callaghan, of Ballinahinch, baptized on 5 November 1854; sponsors John and Maria Callaghan. <Ballinahinch, Ballinahinch, House 1, House 9>

4.0 John Callaghan, of Ballinahinch, baptized on 22 April 1858; sponsors Denis Slattery, Mary Canny. Coercion Suspect # 172. <Ballinahinch, Ballinahinch, House 1, House 9>

5.0 Michael Callaghan, of Ballinahinch, baptized on 24 May 1860; sponsors James Boland, Bridget Vaughan. Coercion Suspect #173; arrested twice. As of 31 March 1882 was imprisoned at Kilmainham Prison. What happened to?

6.0 Marianne Callaghan, of Ballinahinch, baptized on 11 August 1862; sponsors Rev. John Gleeson, Mrs. Capt. C. G. O'Callaghan. Married to Thomas Nash; lived at Valentine Avenue in the Bronx; many Nash children; often the contact person for the children of Sarah Callaghan Whelan who immigrated to America.

In 1855 Griffith Valuation for Ballynahinch townland, in Plot 5 there is a John O'Callaghan, lessor Charles G.O'Callaghan; 41 acres, house, offices, land; 15 acres bog; total valuation £30. This most likely is John Callaghan (1820-1904) of Ballinahinch, but could possibly be his father. With a £30 valuation this John O'Callaghan appears to be by far the most prosperous tenant of Charles G.O. Callaghan. At the 1862 baptism of daughter Marianne Callaghan, the baptism sponsor was Mrs. Capt. C.G. O'Callaghan, the wife of the landlord, who I believe was Marianne O'Callaghan, hence the naming of their daughter. I suspect this would be considered a great privilege to have her as a sponsor. The 1921 Rate Book for Ballynahinch townland has not been transcribed at the Clare library websiste (only rural district of Scariff), but records in Dublin would confirm whether the Callaghan's retained their lands in Ballinahinch into the 20th century. When John O'Callaghan died in 1904, the administration of his estate was left to his son John O'Callaghan, and was valued at £86:
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchiv ... _00300.pdf

Christie, I think you might be giving Thomas Whelan (age 22 in 1901) a bit too much credit as far as the raising of his younger brother Patrick Whelan (age 6 in 1901). Yes, Thomas was recorded in the census as "head of household", but I suspect the Winifred Madigan, widow, age 50, reported as their "aunt" and housekeeper, was the one actually in charge.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... h/1087285/

About your question as to why only Patrick Whelan was kept at home, unlike the four youngest daughters who were sent to St. John's Industrial School? I would instead ask why any of them were sent away? How was this family considered destitute? Their maternal grandfather, John O'Callaghan, was still living in Ballinahinch when his daughter Sarah Whelan died in 1899. In the 1901 census he was living with two of his children, both unmarried, Mary (born in 1854) and John (born in 1858). The Callaghan family does not appear poor at all, they have a farm servant living with them in 1901. John Callaghan didn't die poor in 1904. As you pointed out, daughter Marianne Callaghan Nash was very supportive of her Whelan nieces and nephews in New York. But why didn't Mary Callaghan and John Callaghan in County Clare step up and help out the four daughters of their sister Sara Whelan?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... h/1087280/

Below are several articles that mention the Coercion Suspects that I printed back in August 2020. I now have access to the Clare and Limerick newspapers, so another day will check out to see if there was any reporting on what happened to Michael Callaghan, the coercion suspect last heard from in Kilmainham Prison in 1882.

THE BODYKE AFFRAY.
(SPECIAL TELEGRAM)
Limerick, Thursday.

Arising out of the fatal affray at Bodyke, in which a farmer named John Molony was killed, four men were arrested late last night by the constabulary and lodged in the county Limerick Jail this afternoon. The accused, Edmond Stewart, of Caherhurley, Bodyke; Michael Hussey, of Coolreagh; John and Michael Callaghan, of Ballinahinch, county Clare, are young farmers. The charge against them is for riot and assaulting the constabulary.

The Freeman's Journal, Dublin, 24 June 1881
ARREST IN BODYKE.
(SPECIAL TELEGRAM.)
Limerick, Wednesday.

Michael Bolton, a farmer, residing at Bodyke, was arrested last night under the Coercion Act, charged with intimidating persons against paying rent. He was sent to Clonmel Jail.

The Freeman's Journal, 22 December 1881
OUTRAGE ON MR. LLOYD
(SPECIAL TELEGRAMS.)
Limerick, Monday.

Immense excitement was caused in Limerick to-day by the receipt of an official telegram from Mr. Smith, county inspector, Clare, stating that last night as an officer of the 49th Regiment — a company of which is at present quartered at Scariff — and Mr. Wilfrid Lloyd, brother of Mr. Clifford Lloyd, R.M., were driving from that place to Bodyke, about four miles distant, they were fired on by an armed party who lay in ambush on the roadside. A policeman who was seated behind on the car in charge of the two gentleman was shot in the chest, but not mortally, and later accounts say that he is progressing favourably. Mr. Lloyd and the officer fired in the direction from which the shots came, but owing to the darkness which prevailed they are unaware if any of the shots took effect. Mr. Clifford Lloyd, R.M., left Limerick to-day for the scene of the outrage accompanied by a large escort of police.

Limerick, Monday evening

A telegram from Bodyke, brings intelligence that great excitement prevails over the shooting . . .

The Freeman's Journal, Dublin, 14 February 1882
THE OUTRAGE IN CLARE.
ARREST OF FIFTEEN PERSONS.
(From Our Correspondent)

LIMERICK, TUESDAY NIGHT

The arrests made by Mr. Clifford Lloyd, R.M., at Bodyke yesterday and to-day for shooting at Mr. Wilfrid Lloyd and injuring a constable who was riding on the car, include two ex-suspects. Michael Bolton was but recently discharged from the county gaol, having been arrested in June last on a charge of firing at the constabulary. Michael O'Callaghan, the other suspect, was also recently discharged from Limerick prison. James Whelan, stated to be a steward to Captain O'Callaghan, of Tulla, John Bolton, a farmer, and others. Fifteen in all, it is reported are among the prisoners. They are all charged with firing the shot which wounded Sub-constable Willis, who was in charge of Mr. Lloyd and Lieutenant Besant, 9th Regiment, when they were fired at. The injured policeman is progressing favourably, but it is feared that the right arm will have to be amputated, as the bone is much shattered.

An armed party, having their faces blackened, visited the homes of Thomas Kennedy, Terence Kennedy, Darby O'Keeffe, James Conclady, and Mary Roche, tenants of the property of Colonel John O'Callaghan, of Maryfort, Tulla, last night. At O'Keeffe's house they extinguished the lamp, and, after putting him on his knees, struck him several violent blows on the head, and made him promise that he would pay no rent until Mr. Parnell was released, or enter the Land Court. O'Keeffe promised to comply with the mandate, when the party left. At the other places a similar course was followed, but at the house of Mary Roche the utmost brutality was shown, as the poor woman was violently knocked down by a blow on the head and placed on the fire. She had to promise to withdraw a notice to have a judicial rent fixed by the Commissioners under the Land Act. These tenant have been served with writs for the non-payment of rent, and they now say they will suffer themselves to be evicted from their holdings before doing so, as their lives would be in danger if they came to any settlement with the landlord. On the same night Lord Leconfield's tenants were visited at Derry, near Tulla, by a party of men, armed and disguised in a similar manner, who made them promise to withdraw their applications to have judicial rents fixed by the Land Court. The people of the Tulla district are very reticent as "Captain Moonlight" has lately issued an order stating that anyone doing so will be shot.

On Sunday last the town and vicinity of Tulla were posted with written notices, Boycotting a hotel proprietor who gave entertainment to Major Clifford Lloyd, R.M., and stating than any person seen going into the house would be shot. Another notice was posted on the same day, Boycotting James Hogan and Thomas O'Halloran, as they kept stock on Major Moloney's land. The district is in a most fearful state of lawlessness and disorder.

The Standard, London, Wednesday, 15 February 1882
THE OUTRAGE ON MR. LLOYD.—Seventeen prisoners arrested on the charge of firing at Mr. Wilfred Lloyd, R.M., brother of Mr. Clifford Lloyd, R.M., on Sunday night, near Bodyke, have been lodged in Ennis Jail.

The Freeman's Journal, Dublin, 16 February 1882
Five men named Thomas and Luke Delahunty, Patrick Tuohy, Thadeus Flannery, and Patrick Gallagher, have been arrested in the barony of Upper Tulla, and lodged in Ennis Prison for treason felony in connection with the outrage of Mr. Wilfrid Lloyd. There are now 27 persons under arrest charged with complicity in that crime.

North Wales Chronicle, Bangor, Wales, 25 February 1882.
REMOVAL OF SUSPECTS.
(SPECIAL TELEGRAM).

The fourteen men arrested in the Tulla district on the 15th of last month, and who have since been confined in Ennis Jail on remand, charged with complicity in the shooting at Mr. Wilfrid Lloyd, R.M., were this morning transferred to the various jails open for the reception of suspects on warrants charging them with being reasonably suspected of treasonable practices. Twelve of the number, viz—John McNamara, Michael Mullins, James McGrath, Michael Collins, James Whelan, P J Frost, Pat Frost, John Molloy, John Moloney, James Liddy, Michael Bolton, and Daniel Hussey, were sent to Kilkenny Jail; while Edward Stewart and Michael O'Callaghan are to be detained in Clonmel and Kilmainham respectively. The Feakle and Bodyke prisoners, seven in number, who were arrested on Monday last under warrants charging them with intimidation, have also been removed from here to-day, their destination being as follows—John Cudmore and Michael Wiley, Clonmel; Michael Hussey and Patrick Nugent, Nass; James Moroney, Limerick; Dominick Stewart and Edward Malone, Kilkenny. There are still thirteen men in the local prison on remand in connection with the same outrage.

The Freeman's Journal, Dublin, 2 March 1882
A CLARE SUSPECT.

Mr. DILLON [at British Parliament] asked with John O'Callaghan of Ballynahinch, county Clare, was arrested together with two others on a charge of riot and assault, on June 23, 1881, whether the two others had been released; whether the district was quite peaceable; and whether the Lord Lieutenant could order O'Callaghan's release.

The CHIEF SECRETARY said the Lord Lieutenant's examination into this case had not been concluded.

The Freeman's Journal, Dublin, 1 July 1882
THE SUSPECTS.
Mr. Michael Collins, Bodyke, county Clare, was unconditionally released from Kilkenny Jail yesterday.

Denis Mulligan, of Columbkille, county Longford, was yesterday unconditionally released from Kilmainham, after an imprisonment of seven months.

John O'Callaghan, Ballinahinch, county Clare, and Michael Marsh have been released unconditionally from Kilmainham, after an imprisonment of fifteen months.

The Freeman's Journal, Dublin, 26 July 1882
THE SUSPECTS.

Mr. James Whelan, Ballinahinch, county Clare, and Mr. Michael Bolton, Bodyke, county Clare, were unconditionally released from Kilkenny Jail yesterday.

The Freeman's Journal, Dublin, 29 July 1882
Christie,
Your Irish ancestors oft were naughty boys
Guns and pikes and dangerous toys
Whack fol the diddle o the die do day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sPXR8gDlEQ

Cnwhelan

Post by Cnwhelan » Tue May 18, 2021 11:17 pm

Hi Jimbo,

I’ve been wondering about Annie myself - but I think my assumptions took me down a different path with that. The church record for Nora is dated 21 June 1880, and the civil record for Honor is dated 21 March 1881. Given the length of time, I figured these were two separate births, but that given the similarity in the names, Nora had likely died before the 1881 birth, and so that 1881 baby was given the very similar name “Honor” (certainly I may be misunderstanding how the re-use of the first names worked under those circumstances). So if Nora was not the same baby as Honor, then possibly, Honor = Annie?
Honor: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 035546.pdf
Nora: https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/co ... ?pId=26610

I did make the updates to my family tree, so the first sibling is reflected now as Eliza, based on the civil record, followed much later by a later Cora (Lizzie) for whom neither of us can locate records. I didn’t know about the two Thomas’, or the registers’ spreadsheets at the library website (thank you!!), but with that and having found the first one’s birth and death records from 1877 in the past day, I’ve added him in the tree, and will add in the Callaghan siblings of Sarah this week. Somehow the first Thomas’ baptism record was transcribed as “Sko” Whelan by ancestry:
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/co ... ?pId=26443

Family tree: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tr ... 0087687170

My research interests definitely include the Callaghans! Up to this point, I’ve just made the most headway with the Whelan side, after a boost from distant cousins in Australia (who descend from the 1841-1897 James Whelan’s brother, Thomas). Ancestry has suggested nothing for the Callaghan side, so now that I am a bit handier with other online resources (and have a Callaghan boost from Jimbo!), I can get busy adding them as well. You raise a good point about Thomas probably just sheltering Patrick, but leaving the raising to this aunt Winifred Madigan. I did some digging into this “aunt” and, while I don’t see how she connected in with the family, I did think her long history of court complaints was funny. Arrested for possession of a revolver and 6 rounds of ammunition! Patrick must have had an interesting upbringing.

Thinking through what you’ve said about the potential for danger to James Whelan as the land steward along with being arrested and identified as a coercion suspect, yet he also was released and further retained his job. His daughters were sent to an industrial school for being destitute, yet there was family nearby that were in a financial position to help. Why were they sent away at all? I assumed there was some legitimate process underpinning this, that they were evaluated to be in a situation that mandated removal and there was no option. As you’ve explained, though, there were options - so the removal doesn’t look legitimate anymore, just as the arrest looks flimsy. Do you think they were targeted? The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the Whelans and their friend Aunt Winifred made an enemy of the local constable.

Sarah inherited £117 when James died in 1897, which is ~£15K now according to an inflation calculator I found. I haven’t checked all of the older Whelan siblings yet, but I wonder if this has a relationship to their exodus from Ballinahinch (and might answer my question as to how the fares were paid for so many). After Sarah’s death in 1899, Annie’s first arrival in the US appears to be in 1901, supported by the 1915 census and notes on her later 1905 arrival. Margaret was already there during this 1901 arrival, as she was given as the destination. On that note…..I wanted to drop you a link to Annie’s 1905 arrival record. You may notice that she is traveling with her “sister”, “Nellie”, and they are heading to 2029 Valentine Ave.

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... dit/record

And here is the 1910 arrival - traveling with Nora Malone and Patrick Cline (“cousins”) - all three appear to be heading back to 2029 Valentine Ave again.
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... dit/record

The song is stuck in my head, by the way :)
Thanks
Christie

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed May 19, 2021 5:02 am

Hi Christie,

The Nora baptized on 21 June 1880, was the same as Honor (as in Honorah or Nora) on the civil registration date of 10 April 1881, with a birth date reported as 26 March 1881. There was a law that births had to be registered in a certain number of days (the # of days is mentioned somewhere on this forum) or else there was a penalty. And recall other forum posters stating that it was not uncommon when parents forgot to register their baby's birth, to simply back date the birth date from the date of registration to avoid the civil penalty. I would combine the Nora and Honor in your family tree using the baptism date as the most accurate.

Annie Whelan was most likely baptized around 1882 as per the USA records. Perhaps the Whelan's weren't very diligent with registering the births of their children, as the case of Nora might suggest? Or else the transcription of the civil birth was done incorrectly? There is only a slight possibility that Anne was Nora, and that is because you don't know what happened to Nora.

Who is the sister Nellie Whelan, age 18 in 1905 (born about 1887) traveling with Annie Whelan?? In 1899, wouldn't she have been only about 12 years old and thus also have been sent to the industrial school with her sisters? Right now, there is a large gap for James Whelan and Sarah Callaghan with no children between Anne (presumably in 1882) and Cora Elizabeth (presumably in 1890). Perhaps Nellie was born in 1887, but where was she in 1901?

Christie, as already discussed, Thomas Whelan (age 22) is living with his little brother Patrick (age 6) and his "aunt" Winifred Madigan in House 6 in Ballinahinch. On the "House and Building Return (Form B1)" of the census reports, there are details about all the houses in Ballinahinch townland:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/r ... 000489396/

The "Class of House" is a grading system, and Thomas Whelan's House #6 was graded as "1st Class". At the front of the house there were nine windows, the only house in Ballinahinch to have nine windows. The only other "1st Class" house in Ballinahinch was "Ballinahinch House", the estate of Captain C. G. O'Callaghan (who died in 1895). Ballinahinch townland is not that large, and most of it was taken up by the landed estate, so having a look on google street view, it was easy to find the nine windowed house where Thomas Whelan was living in both the 1901 and 1911 census, and presumably James and Sarah Whelan were living in the 1890's when they died, and perhaps as early as the 1870's or 1880's. This house in Plot 6 was not there at the time of Griffith Valuation in 1855. A "realtor's view" of the house:

9 Window House of Thomas Whelan in 1901 at Ballinahinch, GV Plot 6.jpg
9 Window House of Thomas Whelan in 1901 at Ballinahinch, GV Plot 6.jpg (132.05 KiB) Viewed 4102 times

This two story house was not what I was expecting when I read about the four Whelan girls that were found destitute in 1899 and sent to St. John's Female Industrial School Parsonstown. For your great grandmother Annie Whelan, the move to the Bronx might have been a step down in housing standards!

Your great great great grandfather John O'Callaghan was living in 1855 Griffith Valuation plot 5 in Ballynahinch townland. On the 1901 census, his House 1 was described as "2nd Class" with five windows at the front of the house. Most of the "2nd Class" houses had only two or three windows. Going to the location of Plot 5, a short five minute walk east down R352 from the Whelan's, I reckon this must be his house in the below photo. Christie, when you visit County Clare, if you can get around the security gate, you will hopefully be able to count five windows. Anyways, the location is Plot 5 which only had one house in 1855; this must have been the home of John O'Callaghan. The small building on the right, must have been one of the 7 reported "out-offices and farm-steadings" in the 1901 census; not sure what it would have been used for.

Possibly, the 5 Window House of John O'Callaghan in 1901 at Ballinahinch, GV Plot 5.jpg
Possibly, the 5 Window House of John O'Callaghan in 1901 at Ballinahinch, GV Plot 5.jpg (146.49 KiB) Viewed 4102 times

Seeing where your great grandmother would have lived in Ballinahinch, I really don't understand why her four younger sisters were sent to the industrial school in 1899. It's a big mystery. But anyways, your ancestors were from a very beautiful part of the country. Using google street view (Ballynahinch), if you go east on R352 there are some great views of Lough Bridget (two tourists are stopped at a view point).