The sunburst flag at Killaloe Regatta, 1876

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

The sunburst flag at Killaloe Regatta, 1876

Post by Sduddy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:45 pm

Regattas were very popular in the 1870s. In 1876 the Clare Freeman reports on one held in New Quay, one in Mountshannon, a new one in Ballyalla, and a very new one at Clarecastle, but none are described so glowingly as the one in Killaloe:
Clare Freeman, Sat 19 Aug 1876,
The Killaloe Regatta - from our correspondent. In our last we could not find space for the following account of the above regatta: -
Never, perhaps, throughout my whole life, have I experienced so much pleasure as on the 15th of August. Leaving Limerick by the 10.30 a.m., my object being to witness the Killaloe Regatta, I was wholly unprepared for the sight I beheld on entering the town. The station on the Tipperary side of the river was actually crowded to excess. A splendid green banner, the sun burst, floated in the centre f the multitude, and I could see (for I take a certain pirde in being a keen observer of facial expression) that many, and many were the faces radiant with delight their upward gaze fixed on the old flag, which I firmly, and fondly believe, they on that moment thought would yet float o’er a great glorious and brave nation.
The train bore a goodly array; two splendid bands were amongst the passengers – that belonging to the Mechanic’s Institute Limerick under the guidance of Mr J. Godsell, and the orphanage of the Industrial School of the same city, presided over by the affable and courteous gentleman – Brother Martin.
The Mechanic’s brought a splendid banner belonging to the Bakers of Limrick, and it was borne before them by the Stalwart McAroy, in procession across the river. The sunburst was carried before the boys, and proudly I must say by M. Fogarty, a worthy scion of the renowned Ellie O’Ogarthy, of Tipperary. Some little time elapsed at the terminus before the people could be got into line of procession, but with the true instinct which Irishmen possess for military order the time was very short indeed before they were finally arranged.
The signal being given all moved with the precision and steadiness of trained soldiers; the orphanage band headed the procession, and the effect in passing over the bridge – a very fine structure of 13 arches – was grand in the extreme.
Nature here is lavish of her charms, the words of England’s greatest poet seems to be very appropriate as descriptive of this particular spot: -
“The river nobly foams and flows,
The charm of this enchanted ground;
And all its thousand turns disclose
Some fresher beauty varying round.
The haughtiest breast its wish might bound,
Through life to dwell delighted here;
Nor could on earth a place be found
To nature an dto me so dear.”
The bands made a stand on the Clare side of the river and played some select airs, afterwards moved, one to the flag boat, the other to a small island a little to the south of the pier.
There were five races, all of which were well contested; one race in particular took my attention, the like I never before witnessed – a foot race across the shallow of the Shannon. This was a most laughable and amusing one, the bed of the river is here rendered very uneven by the fish depositing their spawn in the close season, and surely were any person to behold the fellows, no sooner on the shallow than they were launched into a deep hole, it would be difficult, as the saying is, to refrain from splitting your sides with laughter. This concluded the day’s sports, though I was told a greased pole from which boys were to take a flag took place immediately after.
Too much praise cannot be bestowed on the committee for the very able and creditable manner in which it was conducted and they may rest assured that strangers from all parts duly appreciate their efforts in rendering the day a signal success.
Apart from the regatta itself, cold would be the heart, and dull the motion of the spirit, that could behold the beautiful scenery of Lough Derg without a feeling thrilling the bosom with pleasure and delight; we are better men on beholding the works of nature, for they are calculated to raise within our bosoms higher and holier thoughts of Him, who with his great benefices, and still greater mercy, has scattered with a liberal hand those beautiful prospects to give pleasure and delight to wicked and sinful man.
“Such is the force of natures’ charms
The human heart so fondly warms;
To her grand scenes, each time we view,
There’s something grand and something new;
Fresh beauties rise and we ne’re tire
To look upon them and admire.”
An Eye-Witness.
There was a railway line going from Limerick Junction (which was in Co. Tipperary) to Killaloe: https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/f ... clancy.pdf

The sunburst flag is associated with Fenianism and was incorporated into some America Civil War flags (according to this Wikipedia entry): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunburst_flag

Sheila