Clare Journal, Thur 8 Nov 1866.
Civil record of the marriage, on 8th Nov 1866, of Francis N. V. Burton, Carnelly, son of Henry B.(?) Burton, Gentleman, to Marie Stamer De Rovigo, Lady, Carnelly, daughter of Duke De Rovigo, Officer, in the Church of Clare; witnesses: Inchiquin, Aug Davis Major; celebrant: Robert Harris: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 250675.pdfThis morning the marriage of the accomplished Mdlle. de Rovigo with Francis N. Burton, Esq., was celebrated in the parish church of Clare Castle. The event had been looked to for some time with feelings of satisfaction, not alone from the well-known amiability of the youthful bride but the popularity of the bridegroom. The village of Clare presented a much more than usually attractive appearance, several of the houses being gaily decorated with flags and bannerets. The ships lying-to were also decorated in bunting, and the streets were filled with a number of the villagers and others who came from the neighbouring districts.
Shortly after eleven o’clock the carriages began to arrive at the church, the passages leading to which were crowded with spectators. Precisely at twenty minutes to twelve o’clock, the carriage of Duchess De Rovigo arrived, and the bride entered the church leaning on the arm of Captain Ralph Westropp. She was received by the following ladies who were bridesmaids: Hon Miss Yelverton, Hon Miss O’Brien, Miss Burton, Miss O’Brien, Miss Westropp, Miss Gore, Miss Harris, and the youthful Hon Kathleen O’Brien. The bride was given away by Captain Westropp, and Major Davis 74th Highlanders acted as best man. Amongst those present were: The Right Hon Lord Inchiquin, and Lady Inchiquin; Major W E A MacDonnell, D L, and the Hon Mrs MacDonnell; the Hon Robert O’Brien, Henry Stuart Burton, Esq., Colonel Vandeleur, M P; Major W M Molony and Mrs Molony; Mr and Mrs T Keane, and Miss Welton; Mrs Harris, Miss Studdert, Capt and Mrs Rose, Capt John Westropp, John Westropp, Esq, Robert DeVere O’Brien, Esq, the Rev Frederick E and Mrs Barnes, Captain Martin, Lieut Colville, Lieut Hardy, Dr Burkett, and James Hynes, Esq, Toureen.
The Rev Mr Harris assisted by Rev Mr Studdert, Quin Glebe, performed the ceremony. The bride was attired with simple elegance and exquisite taste. She wore a costly dress of white silk richly trimmed with lace and pearls. The bridesmaids were dressed in grenadine trimmed with pink. At the conclusion of the ceremony the happy couple received the congratulations of their assembled friends, and took their departure amid the acclamations of those assembled in the vicinity of the church. After partaking of a sumptious and elegant dejeuner at Carnelly House, Mr and Mrs Burton took their departure for the Continent, where they will spend the honeymoon.