Rev Henry Fry perseveres on behalf of Mrs Carroll, 1873

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Rev Henry Fry perseveres on behalf of Mrs Carroll, 1873

Post by Sduddy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:47 am

Clare Freeman, Sat 26 Apr 1873:
We are most happy to announce that the Rev. Henry Fry, now incumbent of Bourney, county Tipperary, late of Kilkeedy, in this county, has after eight years unceasing correspondence with the Administrators-General for India, through the Indian Office, Westminster, London, effectually [eventually ? - the print is smudged] succeeded in establishing the claim of the Widow Carroll, of Doon, and her orphan son, to the half amount of 1,200 Rupees, monies left by the late Sergeant Patrick Carroll, Bengal, to his nearest relatives. This soldier died in hospital at Lucknow, when invested by the Rebel Sepoys. Through some inaccuracy of date in March, 1865, as to the time the deceased soldier made his will, an attempt was made to upset the whole claim; but perseverance has its reward, and the Rev. Henry Fry had the pleasure of forwarding to the care of Nicholas Butler, Esq., Walterstown, on Monday last, the sum of twenty pounds eleven shillings and two pence, being one moiety of the accumulations of the interest on the funds of the estate of Sergeant Patrick Carroll, deceased; and further, under the hand of the Administrator-General for India, that for the future the interest will also be remitted to her half-yearly, in September and March, through the same channel, for the maintenance and education of her son, until he attains the age of twenty–one years, when the capital of his share, amounting to 600 Rupees, invested in Government Promissory Note, will be made over to him.
The 1901 census shows a Thomas Carroll, aged 42, living in Knockmeil East, (Caher DED). If his beautiful handwriting is anything to go by, this Thomas was indeed educated, but I have no way of knowing for sure if he was the son of Patrick who died in Lucknow. In 1911, Thos Carroll, aged 46, and his wife, Bridget, are living in the townland of Dromcore (Doon, Knockmeil East and Dromcore are all townlands in the parish of Inchicronan (Crusheen), and adjacent to each other). The record of the marriage of Thomas and Bridget would give me the name of Thomas’s father, but I have failed to find that record. The 1911 census gives Bridget’s birthplace as Galway, so the marriage probably took place in Co. Galway. The births of the several children of Thomas and Bridget were registered in Tulla registration district, Scarriff Union, which puzzles me, as Drumcore is in the Union of Gort (as are the townlands of Doon, Knockmael, East, and Bunnahow).

Sheila