Lysaghts from Ennis living in Missouri

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Lysaghts from Ennis living in Missouri

Post by Sduddy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:55 am

This is for anyone interested in Lysaght families, Co. Clare:

Just lately, on the topic of Religious orders abroad, or from abroad: http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... 5092540847, I copied a report from the Clare Journal, of 25 Mar 1869, on the profession, as Loretto nun, of Maria Lysaght, daughter of Walter Lysaght of Ennis, in Calcutta on 23 Jan 1869.
Later I noticed a report of a Lysaght marriage in the Clare Journal, of Mon 30 Aug 1869:
Marriage. In the city of Saint Joseph, State of Missouri, America, on the 9th instant, Mr. Bernard Guinon, Merchant, to Miss Cecelia Lysaght, youngest daughter of Mr. Walter Lysaght of this town.
Previously I had noticed a mention of a Daniel Lysaght and a John Lysaght in Missouri: Clare Journal, 16 Mar 1869:
Irishmen in America. We perceive from files of the Morning Herald of the city of St Joseph, Missouri, that on the 4th of February, at a meeting of about 70 of the members of the Hibernian Benevolent Society, the Hon. Judge Early in the chair, Mr. Daniel T. Lysaght has been presented with a suitable address and a gold-headed cane of considerable value, bearing an appropriate inscription, for his indefatigable exertions as secretary of the society for the previous year. On the resignation of Mr. Lysaght of the office of secretary, the meeting at once unanimously elected his brother, Mr. John Lysaght, as one of their two vice-presidents. These gentlemen are eminent traders in St Joseph, and sons of the late Thomas Lysaght, Esq., of Carrukale-cottage, Kilshanny, county Clare, and nephews of Messrs. Lysaght, of this town.
Sheila

Sduddy

Re: Lysaghts from Ennis living in Missouri

Post by Sduddy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:05 pm

Clare Journal, Mon 7 Mar 1870:
Marriages. On the 26th February, in the Roman Catholic Church, Ballyvaughan, by the Rev Mr Hanrahan, P.P., assisted by Rev Mr Foard, C.C., Michael Lysaght, Esq., of Carrukeale, to Margaret, daughter of Thomas Fitzgerald, Esq., of Newtown Castle.
Sheila

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Sun May 30, 2021 4:59 pm

thanks I was looking at this family. There are very few of my family Gallery so I research the Kennys and the connected families to find out about them.
Maria Kenny's daughter Bessy Lingard married George Stacpoole Lysaght some relation of of Walter (1818-1865) (merchant/pawnbroker Ennis), this father was john and his brother Thomas of Caherhukeel (which seems to be modern day Carrowkeel Kilshanny as Thomas Lysaght was there in Griffiths. . Maria was the daughter of William of Cragleigh my gt gt gt grandmother's brother. Another Kenny sister(Catherine ?) married Patrick Powell and her descendants also married Lysaght (Margaret daughter of Walter's son Walter) and moved to St Joseph Buchanan Missouri. There are many Lysaght Lingard and Prendergast descendants I knew of but its interesting to see the Powell connection and the chain migration to Missouri
The Powells/Kennys/O'Dwyers also went to Rochester (where the gallerys already were and many went onto Michigan

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:26 pm

Thomas Lysaght of Carrowkeel Kilshanny was brother of Walter Lysaght pawnbroker Mill street Ennis . The american trees say his wife was Mary cassidy. I havent checked this. Three of his sons went to St Joseph, Buchanan Missouri. John Joseph Thomas D and Daniel Thoms. John Joseph's was a merchant. His son on Thomas Joseph Lysaght died who 1947 at 78 was a Democratic state senator for Missouri.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:08 am

Hi Margaret,

A widow of T. Lysaght (Thomas?) - she later married Keane - seems to have fallen on hard times:
Clare Freeman, Wed 26 July 1882:
Within the past few days several cases of evictions have occurred in the immediate vicinity of the town. There is one case of hardship even viewed from any light, on the Stacpoole Lands. The evicted tenant is Keane, and his predecessor in title was one of the Clare Lysaghts. Keane married the widow of the late T. Lysaght, and the lady in question being used to the good things of life feels her altered position rather keenly. At present they are lodged with an neighbour in good circumstances. The farm was lately put for sale, and though valued for some £600, owing to the interference of the agent or bailiff it was withdrawn after a bid of only £200.
Here are a couple of death notices for Lysaghts in Ennis - the first one shows a connection to Kilfenora:
Clare Journal, Thur 20 Dec 1866:
Deaths. Mrs Lysaght, relict of the late Andrew Lysaght, Mill Street. Burial in Kilfenora.
Clare Journal, Thur 11 May 1871:
Sudden Death of Mr Michael Lysaght. It is with sincere regret that we announce the death of the above gentleman which sad event occurred this afternoon. Mr Lysaght seemed in his usual health and spirits, and was occupied about his ordinary avocations when he suddenly complained of illness. Dr. Greene was immediately called in, but medical assistance was of no avail, in a few minutes life was extinct. Mr Lysaght was esteemed and respected by all who knew him, and his sudden removal has cast a deep gloom on his friends and acquaintances as well as on all the inhabitants of this town.
Clare Freeman, Wed 29 May 1878,
Deaths. Lysaght. At Ennis on Sunday last, Mr Christopher Lysaght, son of the late Andrew Lysaght, Esq, merchant of this town.
Clare Freeman, Wed 26 Jul 1882:
We regret to announce the death of another of the old inhabitants of Ennis, Mr Walter Lysaght, aged 66, the last of the long line of Lysaghts, the oldest(?) and most repected inhabitants of Ennis. The interment took place at half-past twelve at Drumcliffe.
And here is a marriage notice: Clare Journal, Mon 2 Jul 1855:
Marriages: Yesterday, at Ennis Chapel, by the Very Rev. Dean Kenny, Mr. Michael Rynne, of Market-street, Iron and Coal Merchant, to Lizzie, daughter of the late Daniel Lysaght, of this town.
Sheila

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:19 am

Thanks there is a lot there. I don't think the widow of the late T Lysaght is the same thomas - though it may be as he lived in Kilshanny. Thats not in the immediate vicinity of the town.

There are several different branches of Lysaghts - all with Walter as a name so all probably related going back. I know there are a few trees in the NLI. Cecil S Kenny wrote one for his branch. Unfortunately as Walter is an unusual name for Clare Catholics the trees on ancestry randomly add Walter Lysaght died 1882. There is a lot of confusion. This is really of peripheral interest to me. I was looking at my own family Kenny and powells of Kenny descent.
Maria Kenny was married to Thomas Lingard of Cooga Ruan. Her daughter Bessie married George Stacpoole Lysaght son of Walter Lysaght and Lucinda Stacpoole. They have numerous descendants in New Jersey and Liverpppl. Another Lingard sister married Staunton from Limerick and the famous artist Louis Le Brocquy descended from her grandaughter Sybil Staunton.

Walter Lysaght d 1882 the pawnbroker Mill st Ennis was not a son of Walter of Riverton though he is added as this on numerous ancestry trees. He was married twice to Cecilia Carey of Limerick and then to Honoria Rynne (both of merchant families) . I think Andrew of Mill stree merchant was his brother but am not certain. His father was John (possibly of Ballyvorda) as the family are buried in Kilfenora. He had a brother Thomas of Carrowkeal Kilshanny. Two of Thomas sons emigrated to St Josephs Buchanan Missouri his grandson Thomas was a state senator. . A powell married Walter d 1882 daughter Margaret and emigrated to St Josephs Buchan Missouri.
Walter Lysaghr d 1862 of Liscannor was also not a son of Walter Lysaght and Lucinda Stacpoole
I think Walter Lysaght pawnbroker of Ennis had a brother Andrew and a brother Michael but am not entirely sure which Andrew. there was one a merchant in Ennis or which Michael/

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi Margaret

Thank you for that information regarding the Lysaghts, showing that there were various branches of the family - your interest is much appreciated since, as you say, you have only one connection to that family. I must say Lysaghts sound very complicated, so I think I will not pursue the subject any further.
In my last posting, I mentioned a lady, who fell on hard times when she and her second husband (John Keane) were evicted in 1882. When I looked for the civil record of that second marriage, I noticed that she was from Ballyvorda:
7 Oct 1873: Marriage of John Keane, Farmer, Loughvilla, son of William Keane, to Mary Lysaght, widow, Ballyvorda, daughter of Thomas Nestor (deceased), in Limerick Cathedral: witnesses: Michael Wm. Nealon, Anne Keane : https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 142420.pdf

I found no record of Mary Nestor’s previous marriage to a Mr Lysaght – it probably took place before the registration of marriages began in 1864, but, going on her address, I think Mr Lysaght must have been one of the Lysaghts of Ballyvorda. Ballyvorda is in the civil parish of Kilmacrehy. Kilmacrehy lies in the Catholic parish of Liscannor, but the marriage register only starts in 1866, so there is no record of that marriage. The Landed Estates site gives some information on various Lysaghts; this piece on the Lysaghts of Ballykeel mentions Ballyvorda: http://landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/j ... sp?id=1799.
As I was looking at the Liscannor parish marriages, I was interested to see that Mary Lysaght’s marriage to John Keane was also recorded there (2 Oct 1873); witnesses: John Pilkinton, Susan Fitzgerald. It seems the Liscannor priest was not going to be done out of the marriage offering (i.e. fee).

Sheila

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:31 pm

thanks Shiela I have a few lysaght connections actually and was looking at a chain migration to St Josephs Buchan Missouri Patrick Powell who married Margaret Lysaght dau of Walter Pawnbroker of ennis (Patrick powell descends from Edmund Kenny as do I) and also at the Stacpoole Lysaghts descending from George Stacpoole Lysaght and Bessy Lingard (Desc of Edmond Kenny) and I havent started on the Cragaknock Kelly Lysaght connection
(O'Loughlin)
rgds

Margaret