Bombardier Michael Lynch leaves 2,000 rupees (£200)

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Bombardier Michael Lynch leaves 2,000 rupees (£200)

Post by Sduddy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:04 pm

Clare Journal, Thur 25 Feb 1869:
To the Nearest of Kin of Bombardier Michael Lynch. The following letter has been addressed to the editor of the Catholic Opinion, a journal published in London. We give it a place in our columns by special request:
Allahabad, 12th Jan., 1869. Sir, I beg of you to insert the following news in your valuable paper for information to the nearest kin of Bombadier Michael Lynch. I visited the station of Chunor a few days ago, and off I went to visit the graveyard also, and so commenced to acquire any information I could of deceased there, from a clerk who accompanied me. Among other news I was informed of this, that Bombadier Michael Lynch, from the County of Clare, died in Chunor on the 27th of June, 1861, and left Rupees 2,000, or £200 in the hands of the Government. He belonged formerly to the 4th company 2nd battalion of the Artillery, and lately to the Invalid battalion of Chunor; the deceased was enlisted in 1847, and he then had an unmarried sister alive. He had also a cousin, by name Frank O’Keeffe, in the 4th company 2nd battalion of the Artillery, who retired on a pension of one rupee a day in 1866, or ’67. Frank O’Keeffe knew a sergeant of the name Charles Maguire, who joined with O’Keeffe the Artillery band of the same company in 1857.
If therefore any of the nearest kin of Bombadier M. Lynch will write to the Hon Captain A.C.J.D. Arbuthnott, Commanding the Invalid Battalion, at Chunor, by producing proper certificates to him, he will recover the aforesaid sum which is now in the Governement’s hand from ignorance of kin. With this information the Bishop or Clergyman in the diocese of the County of Clare, might be able to find out any of the nearest of kin of the mentioned deceased, who, if poor, will be consoled. If it was not an act of charity I would not trouble you. Yours truly, Fr. Angelo, R.C. Chaplain.
They say that where there’s a will there’s a relative, but I doubt very much if any relative of Michael Lynch could be traced in 1869 - there would have been so many Michael Lynches.

Sheila