Owen Hehir in Inagh

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

dundeemayer

Owen Hehir in Inagh

Post by dundeemayer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:14 am

I have been looking for a missing link in my family for years. My great grandfather was John Hehir born in 1853, in Feighroe, Connolly, in Kilamley Parish. His father was Patrick. Because of the many John Hehir's his nickname was Johnny (PaddyOwen) apparently after his father and grandfather.

The Tithe Applotment for Newtown in Inagh Parish, lists an Owen Hehir, which is in close proximity to Connolly. My Hehir family is buried in Inagh cemetery.

We have also been lead to believe that some of John's sibilings may have immigrated to Australia. In the Asssited Passenger manifests to New South Wales, I recently came across a Bridget Hehir who immigrated to Australia in 1853, from "near Ennis". She lists her parents as Owen and Mary (both deceased).

I have also seen records of an Owen that left Clare and moved to Waterford. This Owen seems to have a mother named Mary, but unknown is her husbands name.

Does anyone have any information on Owen Hehir in Newtown, Inagh, or any information on Bridget Hehir who immigrated to Australia in 1853? I am wondering if there may be a connection. I have been to the Clare Heritage Centre in Corofin, withouth success. Any help would be appreciated.