Clare-born in U.S. applying for Social Security numbers

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Clare-born in U.S. applying for Social Security numbers

Post by smcarberry » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:22 pm

As of 1935, the U.S. federal government implemented a retirement scheme for all its working citizens, for which an individual number is assigned to each participant, the famous Social Security number considered the best way to identify a U.S. resident. To guard against identity theft, the government maintains secrecy about S.S. numbers of the living but has placed online an extract of each deceased participant not involved in the railroad industry (for which there is a separate database, not online). Data on the S.S. application form (SS-5) is provided directly by the applicant seeking a S.S. number. It is very easy to search the extract database for applicants born in Clare, anyone old enough to be employed as of 1935 and young enough to still be in the workforce. The earliest birth year I observed so far is 1865. Here is the link to the NARA webpage, with this database being the 6th one down on the list: https://aad.archives.gov/aad/series-list.jsp?cat=GP22

I have some suggestions on using the search function. There are several fields to select, restricted to a total of only 10 fields at any one time. Don't bother asking to be shown the "middle name" field. Also leave out the S.S, number from the search. Do request that the search return list show the applicant's parents' surnames. From the search return list, you elect to see an extract and then you will view all recorded data, including the applicant's middle name, etc.

Unfortunately the entire database cannot be searched at one time, but rather sections of surnames are sorted alphabetically in groups such as A & B, C & D, etc. There is also an extra step to determine a country code for an applicant's place of birth. Ireland is EIf (an uppercase letter "i" not the numeral 1), so you can bypass the code list. Instead of typing a city in the "birth city" field, just type Clare and you will receive a list of self-declared Clare-born applicants in that alphabet section. Only a few Clare-born omitted the word Clare on their applications and instead wrote only a city plus Ireland as the country.

This database is a handy way to track down married women who were mothers of applicants, because mothers are listed under their maiden names (if their son or daughter knew that surname). Applicants used his/her legal surname as of the time of the application. As to female applicants, some (especially in the earlier years of the S.S. system) were already married before applying and thus this database will reveal their maiden name via the father's surname field. As younger women entered the workforce, at ages 18 to 21 or so, the application will be in the maiden name, which the system does not change down through time (so far as I know although I suppose exceptions might occur for a good reason).

To catch siblings who were applicants, only one of whom listed Clare on the application, use only the country code and look for the same full mother's name and full father's name to identify the other sibling.

It's a lot of free fun. Enjoy.
SS-5 search C-D surnames, Sinon & Ire as search terms.JPG
SS-5 search C-D surnames, Sinon & Ire as search terms.JPG (51.52 KiB) Viewed 3006 times

Sduddy

Re: Clare-born in U.S. applying for Social Security numbers

Post by Sduddy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:18 am

Hi Sharon

Thank you for posting that link to U.S government data – Social Security Numbers, and thank you for giving those tips, without which I would not have attempted to use it. I have begun to test it and notice that you need to give the exact spelling of the name, which is understandable, I suppose. My first search was for Forde, but found nothing for Clare. Then I searched for Ford and got just two results for Clare. Am I doing everything right? Forde/Ford is not a common name in Clare, of course – there are only 101 living there 1901 – it’s much more common in South Galway. But that’s just my first search. I think it will prove a good resource.

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:40 pm

Depending on the uniqueness of the surname, using the broadest possible search (i.e., just Ireland) will capture all possible listings, easily reviewed. Using both Ford and Forde spellings for either maternal or paternal surname fields, combined with the country code for Ireland, will get you maybe one or two more (see the one listing Riesk, Ireland). Remember that this database has just those who applied for the S.S. number at some point during their working lives after 1935. Those who didn't need to make use of Social Security benefits will not appear in this database. Using a government program was a novelty in the 1930s and 1940s, so even those who could have greatly benefited did not join the program. (This is America, the land of seemingly endless opportunity.)

Although not so important with a surname like Ford, using all possible spellings is needed. There are quirks, like the mother's personal name which has an additional letter: UElizabeth. For surnames involving an apostrophe, leave it out, so that the search for O'Brien is actually OBrien.

I have been on holiday this past week and traveling back home today, so this may be a bit disjointed. Getting an easily searchable federal database is a rare event, so I did want to post an alert about it, especially now that we have Irish civil birth registrations to better nail down these federal returns showing a birthdate in and after 1864.

SMC

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi Sharon, Thank you for that extra explanation.

Sheila