Maiden name of Mrs Lynch, wife of P. Lynch, Editor

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Maiden name of Mrs Lynch, wife of P. Lynch, Editor

Post by Sduddy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:10 pm

I would like to know the maiden name of Mrs. Lynch, wife of P. Lynch, editor of the Irish American in the 1850s.

This notice appeared in the Limerick Chronicle of Sat 24 Jan 1857:
At New York, US, Mrs. Lynch, wife of P. Lynch, Esq, late of Limerick, and proprietor of the “Irish American” newspaper.
And this notice appeared in The Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser of Thur 29 Jan 1857:
A month’s mind for the late Mrs. Lynch, wife of Mr. P. Lynch, Editor of the Irish American, who lately died in New York, was this day celebrated at the Parish Chapel of Quin. There were twenty-two clergymen in attendance. A large congregation was present in the Chapel.
Patrick Lynch, himself, died in May of 1857, and this report of his death in The Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser, Thur 11 Jun 1857, mentions his wife’s death as occurring in January:
Sudden Death of Patrick Lynch, Esq., Editor of The Irish American.
We take with much regret the following announce from a New York Paper, which reached us yesterday (Wednesday.) Mr. Lynch, whose death is stated, was well known in Limerick, where he had many friends; in this county his respectable relatives will hear of his early demise with great sorrow:
It becomes our painful duty to chronicle the sudden demise of a brother editor. We were startled and surprised yesterday to hear that Mr. Lynch, the well-known editor of the Irish American, one of our Beckman-street neighbours, had died suddenly at his residence in Brooklyn, at an early hour yesterday morning. His disease was congestion of the brain. Up to Friday he was in his usual health. We saw him in the street on Thursday. Tomorrow he is to be buried!
Mr. Lynch was a native of county Limerick, Ireland. He was educated for the medical profession, but early abandoned it for more congenial pursuits. Soon after completing his studies, he emigrated to the United States, but did not remain here long. On his return to his native land he assumed the editor-ship of the Limerick Reporter. He subsequently made his mark as a correspondent for the Dublin papers and the Tipperary Vindicator. Afterwards he associated himself with other parties in the publication of the Limerick and Clare Examiner, a semi-weekly paper, of which he eventually became sole proprietor. He warmly supported O’Connell on the Repeal question, until the secession of the Young Irelanders from the association.
In August, 1849, in conjunction with Mr. William L. Cole, he started the Irish American. His labours were devoted to this journal to the day of his death. By the tact, enterprise, and industry of Messrs. Lynch & Cole the Irish American soon became the leading paper of its class in the United States – a position which it has successfully maintained in spite of the repeated attempt to break it down by unscrupulous competitors.
Mr. Lynch was in his 45th year. He leaves two orphan children to mourn his loss, their mother having died in January last. Pecuniarily, they are left in comfortable circumstances. The funeral will take place from his residence, No. 44, For[?]oth Place, Brooklyn, at 10 o’clock tomorrow morning.
Sheila

smcarberry

Re: Maiden name of Mrs Lynch, wife of P. Lynch, Editor

Post by smcarberry » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi, Sheila,

The Lynch residence was in South Brooklyn at Fourth Place. Patrick's funeral in May 1857 left from his house and went to "the Roman Catholic Cemetery" where it was well attended, including an appearance by Thomas Francis Meagher, according to a short contemporary article I found. No better details appeared in full contemporary death mentions, as confirmed by Patrick Lynch's FindaGrave memorial creator who has no idea what cemetery it is and finds that odd for such a prominent man. It should be Calvary Cemetery in Woodside, Queens, which is on the northern boundary of Kings County/Brooklyn, but no details of Patrick or Mary in its online search engine as yet (it is a vast area made of several huge sections, not all entered online). Those death mentions of Patrick include a couple that list Jan. 1st for his wife Mary's death but actually she died 30 Dec 1856, according to 1 Jan 1857 edition of the New York Tribune, which also noted the cemetery was Calvary. Their residence at that time was 72 President Street, Brooklyn. Her age was 49 years and 6 months.

The most important detail regarding Mary was that she married Patrick Lynch in Ireland as a widow. The 1850 Manhattan census shows her with her two young children Ellen (8) and John (5), as well as four adult single children, all with the surname "Mechan" (appearing in later records as Meehan): Ellen (20), Thomas (19), Margret (18) and Patrick (17). Everyone in the household was born in Ireland, including an unidentified woman, Ellen Kelley (25). A news item also referred to Patrick Lynch having a stepson Patrick Meehan.

On 7 Oct 1853 Patrick Meehan married Johanna/Jane Butler of Ennis in a Brooklyn church, St. James Pro-Cathedral on Jay St., as described in Jane's 1915 obituary of 18 Jan, Brooklyn Daily Eagle. As confirmed in small news items of the 1860s, this couple moved to North New Jersey in 1864, where they are shown in the 1870 census at Jersey City with 6 of their eventual 11 children. With them that year was the still-single half-brother John Lynch, both men being journalists, chips off the old block. John Lynch's older sister Ellen stayed single and died 1876 in Detroit, Michigan, although she was buried from her brother's residence, the address indicating that he was yet living with the Meehans in J.C. NJ (23 Dec New York Herald). John's obituary in 1882 (3 Dec NY Herald) listed his full name as John O'Connell Lynch (confirmed in an earlier news item), same J.C. residence so I assume he never married. Thus no marriage records to consult for Mary Lynch's children in case her maiden name would be listed. Death records less reliably go to such detail for a decedent's parents.

I looked at the Parishes of O'Callaghan Mills (my transcription) and of Quin-Clooney (your transcription) but saw nothing fitting these family members for a first marriage for Mary as a Connell or O'Connell to a Meehan groom or for a second marriage as a widow Mary Meehan to Patrick Lynch, nor for any Lynch children named John or Ellen and then solely in Quin-Clooney for any earlier-born Meehan children of the right forenames. Zero. However, I eventually learned that Patrick Meehan had been born in Limerick city (as had his step-dad Patrick Lynch) on 17 Aug 1831, according to the memorial creator who has good details but lists no sources. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/186 ... k-j-meehan

In my brief survey of online material for this family, I didn't see very good prospects for the other Meehan children from Mary's first marriage, in order to find marriage certificates or obituaries with good details that might reflect their early Irish residence. Perhaps a search through Limerick city parishes will turn up Patrick Meehan's baptism with revealing details.

Hope that helps,
Sharon C.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:51 pm

Hi Sheila,

To add to the information provided by Sharon.

Nothing new from the 1850 census, but here is the 1855 NY state census of the Patrick Lynch household. Patrick Lynch had the occupation of "editor"; his step-son, Thomas "Nehan" (age 26) was an "assistant editor". The "Nehan" step-children should be "Meehan":
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K6WM-9B5

The other step-son, Patrick Meehan (1831 - 1906), would upon the death of Patrick Lynch become the editor of the Irish American newspaper. As Sharon noted and provided a link to Patrick Meehan's findagrave page that stated his birth was on 17 August 1831 and in Limerick. There is no source for the birth date, but the other information is consistent with 1906 newspaper obituaries for Patrick F. Meehan.

A Patrick Meehan was baptized on 18 August 1831, parents Patrick Meehan and Mary Power at St. Mary's Limerick; sponsors Andrew Ryan and Bridget Meehan.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Hi Sharon and Jimbo

Wow! I am lost for words - almost. Thank you both very much for doing all that work.
I did look at the 1855 New York State census, but not carefully enough. I was looking for a neat little family - two parents, two children.
That baptism, on the 18th Aug 1831, is definitely for Patrick Meehan whose memorial-creator gave 17th Aug 1831 as his date of birth. So, then, Patrick Lynch’s wife must be Mary Power. Maybe the “O’Connell” middle name of John O’Connell Lynch was in honour of Daniel O’Connell.

There were Powers in the parish of Quin, and I decided that they must have been people of some substance, since that Mass with 22 clergy present would have occasioned some expenditure - the offering to the parish priest, plus refreshments, etc. So I went straight to the Calendar of Wills and found a Michael Power who died in 1888, leaving effects valued at £861 17s: Michael Power, Creevagh, Quin: Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Michael Power late of Creevagh Quin County Clare Farmer who died 15 November 1888 at same place were granted at Limerick to Anne Power of Creevagh the Widow: http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchiv ... _00316.pdf
Michael was a widower when he married Anne Dillon (from Clondegad) on 6 Feb 1869. The record gives Michael’s father’s name as William Power. This William Power is probably the William Power whose death, at age 66, was registered in 1864 (see under Galway online). Michael Power was previously married to Mary Donnellan, but I haven’t found a record of that marriage. Their son, Thomas, was born on 8 Nov 1865 (birth registered in Tulla and baptism in the Quin-Clooney parish register). It was Thomas who reported the death of Michael in 1888. That record gives Michael’s age at death as 63. So he was born 1825. I think it is more likely that Mary Power was a sister of William (1798-1864) than that she was a sister of Michael (1825-1888) – that is, if she was a sister of either of them! I might be on the wrong track.
By the way, Anne Dillon was only 18 when she married widower Michael Power in 1869, and that is why she is aged only 50 in the 1901 census (Creevaghbeg - Quin DED)

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:40 am

I found the marriage of Patrick Lynch and Mary Meehan in St. Mary’s parish register (Limerick): 23 Feb 1841; witnesses: Rev. Mr. Nash, Rev. Mr. Egan.
I think their daughter, Ellen, who is aged 8 in 1850 and aged 13 in 1855, was baptised Anna Maria: 13 Dec 1841: baptism of Anna Maria daughter of Patrick Lynch and Mary Meehan; sponsors: Patrick Meehan, Alicia OKelly. (St. Mary’s parish, Limerick.

I found the marriage of Michael Power and Mary Donnellan in the O’Callaghan Mills marriages: 14 Feb. 1863: Michael Power, Quin, to Mary Donnelon, Clonlea; witnesses: James Power, Creevagh, Ellen Croughan, Kilkishen. The death of a Mary Power was registered in Tulla in 1868 (aged 24) – I think this must be Mary Donnellan.
I was wrong about the death of William Power. He did not die in 1864 (that William Power must have been a Galway man). The death of a William Power was registered in Tulla in 1870 (aged 79), and this is most likely William from Creevagh.
When Thomas Power was born in Nov 1865 to Michael Power and Mary Donnellan, it was William who reported the birth: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 306802.pdf

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:14 am

I found two more baptisms in the St. Mary’s parish register, confirming that Mary was Mary Power:
18 Jan 1827: John, son of Patrick Meehan and Mary Power; sponsors: William Frewen, Johanna Ryan.
2 Oct 1829: Mary Anne, daughter of Patrick Meehan and Mary Power; sponsors: James Ryan, Mary Frewen: https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 5/mode/1up.

I can’t be sure, of course, that Mary Power is one of the Powers in Quin parish, but I think she is.

Sheila

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:27 pm

I too have been digging, to determine the parents of Michael Power's bride Mary Donnellan. I have to preface my remarks with an admission that we Donnellan descendants of the Kilkishen area know that "several" Donnellan lines came to reside there by the mid 1840s. I have spent 20-plus years finding and sorting their data, and still more must be found. I started with NLI Ms.467 (now well laid out on Jim Donnellan's website) which has a Conor Donnellan living in the 1700s around Monagenagh, East Clare, from a family whose sept home is considered to be Galway. Connor had a Patrick who settled at Clashduff and was buried 1785 "at Clonlea" meaning the RC cemetery with the now-ruined chapel. That Patrick's son Conor had two wives, two sets of children, the first group departing forever to Limerick city (Mount Kennett area) with one U.S. descendant who ordered the gen. research organized into the Ms.467 pedigree chart, and the second group receiving only a brief mention, which is of course the group which remained at Clashduff : "Thomas, Conor, other."

Although Mary born 1844 to that last-listed Conor and his wife Mary Doogan is the best age to be the Mary Power who died 1868, it was Conor who was the most stable, long-lived of the Ms.467 Donnellan line staying in Clare. It appears Connor's Mary married 1871 James Cunningham. Connor's brother Thomas and wife Catherine nee Meany had a daughter Mary in 1841, whom I consider the best candidate for Michael Power's wife. As you showed, Mary's wedding witness was Ellen Croughan, a surname not usually seen in upper or mid East Clare. In 1839 OCM parish records show that Stephen Croughan of Newmarket on Fergus had wed Ellen Meany of Clonlea. These two may well be the parents of the 1863 wedding witness Ellen Croughan, naturally in the Meany family circle and available to be Mary Donnellan's BFF. Ellen Croughan would go on to marry 1865 John Cunneen of Kilkishen, likely the same John who served as my family's Peter Carberry's wedding witness when Peter married Margaret Cunneen in 1856 Kilkishen. That John Cunneen was father of the later school teachers Francis and Patrick Cunneen, the Kilkishen position being the one vacated by Peter Carberry's emigration to the U.S. in 1864.

Sometime after the last birth (1843) of a child of Thomas Donnellan with wife Catherine Meany, her death occurred, followed by Thomas's marriage to Bridget Bennis in Newmarket parish on 16 Feb 1847. His residence is not noted in that register, but before 1847 it was consistently listed Clashduff and then later it was Knockatinty, at least through the birth of his final child in 1857, after which my data on him ceases. I should mention the 1840 OCM Parish marriage of Thomas Bennis of Ralahine to Margaret Donnellan of Clashduff, witnessed by Thomas Donnellan of Clashduff. In Dec 1849 the houses of both Thomases were torn down during an infamous townland-wide eviction. Although Cornelius Donnellan resumed residence there after his eviction, that was likely due to the influence of his in-laws the Duggans who likewise resumed their Clashduff house. Thoms Bennis left the area, and Thomas Donnellan relocated to Knockatinty and with his wife may have died before their daughter's 1863 wedding, necessitating distant family to serve as witnesses.

My connection to this entire group is via Catherine Donnellan who married Patrick Carberry in OCM Parish Feb 1850, right after her widowed mother's eviction Dec 1849. The father Michael Donnellan had died earlier that year due to fever, noted in Fr. Quaid's death register. Catherine's last sibling had been baptized Sep 1837 as the child of Michael Donnellan and Anne Connell, thus arose the impetus to research your query. The trio of Donellan brothers appears to have been (in this order) Michael, Thomas (b.1808 or so) and Cornelius/Connor b. 1813 per his gravestone. As indicated above, their sister was Margaret/Peggy who married Thomas Bennis 1840.

I believe my Catherine Donnellan Carberry's 1875 ad for James Donnellan last known to be in Connecticut refers to the 1843-born son of Thomas (Cath. Meany), her cousin. I found a James Donlon in CT in the mid to late 1800s, with a living descendant whose DNA I share.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:15 pm

Hi Sharon, belated thanks for giving so generously from your research on the Kilkishen Donnellons and for taking so much trouble over Mary Donnellan the wife of Michael Power.
I’ve come upon notices of two of Butler deaths in the Clare Journal, the death of John Thomas Butler, with a mention of his connection to the Irish American, and the death of his brother James Butler, six weeks later. And I remembered that you mentioned a Jane Butler in your first reply to me:
On 7 Oct 1853 Patrick Meehan married Johanna/Jane Butler of Ennis in a Brooklyn church, St. James Pro-Cathedral on Jay St., as described in Jane's 1915 obituary of 18 Jan, Brooklyn Daily Eagle.
Clare Journal, Thur 17 Jan 1867 (Extract from a rather long notice taken from the Irish American):
A good son, an affectionate brother, a fond father and husband, a true Christian, in every sense of the word, and withal a genial friend, ready to contribute his share to the enjoyment of all who came within the sphere of his social acquaintance, none could know him without loving and esteeming him for his thorough goodness of disposition and childlike singleness of heart. During a connection of many years with the Irish American, he had earned the respect of all with whom he was brought in contact by his urbanity and integrity. Cut off in the prime of life by the fell destroyer, consumption, we, who knew how thoroughly his true heart and honest judgment were to be relied on, feel that our loss is one that to us can never be adequately replaced. In his native town of Ennis, many a fond heart will grieve for the bright youth who left there years ago, to wither in a foreign land ere life’s day had well passed its meridian, or its blossoms ripened to fruition. He died on Monday last, after a brief, but severe struggle, with the disease to which he fell a victim, in the 37th year of his age. – Irish American.
Clare Journal, Mon 21 Feb 1867:
Death of a Clare Man. On Thursday, January 31st, at his residence, No. 10 Madison st, in this city, of consumption, in the 43rd year of his age, James Butler, formerly of Ennis, County Clare, Ireland. Only six short weeks had intervened since his afflicted relatives followed to an early grave, the remains of the late John T Butler, when they were called upon to discharge the same sad office for his only brother.
Sheila